[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a spare length of box section and I am making a barbell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (23KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 475x475px
I have a spare length of box section and I am making a barbell stand like pic related. The stuff I have is 40x40x3mm and I'm wondering if anyone has a rough idea of the max weight it will be able to hold. Pic related is 50x50mm and states it will hold 136kg/300lb if that helps.
>>
Depends. Do you plan to weld it together, glue it together, tape it together or string it together with bailing wire? Do you have competency in any of the above? Geez, can you read the sticky you dummy.
>>
>>1022719
>I am making a barbell stand like pic related.

You can clearly see where it's welded and where it's been bolted together.
>>
I'd say it's not the metal that will come into question although most barbell stands use 60/40x5mm. It's down to how well your welds will hold.
>>
>>1022704
Loaded in pure compression, two short tubular columns of that size would be able to hold about 25 tons before yielding. In a barbell rack like that, load limits are based on more difficult loading, like lateral forces (the frame is stressed in weaker directions) and impact forces (a 1kg weight can easily produce brief loads of thousands of Newtons). Weld it competently, triangulate all connections, and it should be strong enough for anything you can lift.
>>
>>1022704
That rack could hold up a goddamned car. The weak point is the pins that allow height adjustment. Makes sure the pins are strong enough not to shear under impact forces from a few hundred pounds. Anything grade 5 should be fine, buy grade 8 if you're really worried.

Even if the rest of the stand is put together in a half-assed way, those pins will still be the weak point.
>>
>>1023881
Or make it non-adjustable and set at the height you want. Less work and more strength but less versatility. If you do use pins, use ones bigger than in the image.
>>
Shit. You lot are retarded. If the kid cant weld, pins wont be sheared by fuck all. More like kid tries to rack a few kg without a spotter and has lateral forces from wobbling under the 30kg load, resulting in the cross member falling the fuck off as he cant weld. Not even considering that gal is more nasty to weld than normal.

In short : if you can weld, your fine. use 12mm or larger diameter bar for pins, at least 100mm long with a bend in them. Should be fine for more than you can lift, however ensure you have stablisation (ie adjustable feet (12x1.75 hex bolts into nuts welded into the four corners)) so it wont rock and is stable af.

Cant weld - go buy one for $50

Cant weld and weld anyway - get a friend from /b/ to take pics for rekt thread. I promise to save.
>>
Material strength will be good, fail point will be based on construction.

When you do build this, strap every weight you have on it, then paint cans, jugs of water, fat pets, then lean on it and shake it.
If it's still standing then you might be alright
>>
>>1026137
Or just slam the weights on it from above and keep your feet out of the way.

Also google home built gym equipment. To succeed, copy success.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.