[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /diy/. I need help troubleshooting this guitar pedal.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

Hello /diy/. I need help troubleshooting this guitar pedal.

It's a John Bull Overdrive that I bought back in 2007. It has always functioned properly, without any fault, but yesterday I picked it up, plugged it and no sound was coming out of it when the efect was engaged. Otherwise, when in true-bypass mode, the sound went thru cleanly and without any fault.

I opened it and made some continuity tests (i'm no expert in electronics) and everything I checked looked fine, so I can't find the problem.
So, what do you think? Maybe some blown up caps that I haven't noticed? open circuit in the effect-in or effect-out? Perhaps it's a common issue and you can help me on this.
Pic releated- my model's enclosure. I'm posting pictures of the insides as well.

PS- Can't find the schematics to this pedal
>>
Insides I
>>
Insides II
>>
Does it get power? As in, are the components on the PCB really powered?
If yes, check your soldering next. In desperation you might want to add some flux and re-heat all the joints.
>>
>>1021704
Yeah, it gets power (I guess, since the LED turns on when I activate the effect)

How can I check what you're telling me?
>>
Did you use a power supply with the wrong polarity at some point?
>>
>>1021725
No I haven't. The pedal had been in a friend's house, and I retrieved it some time later but not working. But he claims he hasn't ever used it.
>>
File: tools_Header_Joints.jpg (61KB, 800x377px) Image search: [Google]
tools_Header_Joints.jpg
61KB, 800x377px
>>1021706
Visually and by wiggling components (joints shouldn't move).

>>1021730
Wouldn't be a surprise if he burned it by using a wrong power supply.
>>
>>1021737
The thing is that this pedal has always worked fine; but somehow it does not function no more. Shall I check the soldier joints even by knowing this? Does soldering iron "get spoiled"?

I wiggled the components and looks like they are stable.

What if he used a wrong adaptor? does this have a solution or may I have my PCB bassicaly burned down?
>>
>>1021737
>Wouldn't be a surprise if he burned it by using a wrong power supply.
this. There isn't anything on the board that is likely to go out without being visible besides the ICs. Blown caps and resistors will be obvious by visual inspection. If all the solder joints check out, I would suspect the two ICs, which are most likely op amps. You can try replacing them if you trust yourself with a soldering iron. Try asking the people you bought the pedal from.
>>
>>1021739
It is perfectly possible to make bad joints which work initially, but stop working when they eventually oxidize or when you drop the pedal or whatever.

It's bit difficult (tedious) to say what wrong polarity or overvoltage does to your pedal, but since there are no visible burn marks, the worst case is that all the semiconductors and electrolytic capacitors are shot. Damage to that extent is unlikely, though.
>>
>>1021730
Grill your friend. It's likely that he busted it.
>>
>>1021750
This seems likely to me. If it was fall damage, it will be hard to repair on your own.

If it's oxidization, try Deoxit:
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2946/.f

If you own any musical instruments or sound reinforcement gear, it will come in handy.
>>
Did you check continuity across the switch? Itself? If the switch wore out it might not be making a connection inside to the pole that directs the signal to the board.
>>
>>1021942
Yeah I made continuity tests in the switch but as I said, I'm not electronics expert. The True Bypass wiring functions properly; but how should I check that the effect-in and effect-out are working properly?

I posted pictures in >>1021698 and >>1021701
>>
OP, you fucking stoner! You had the input (guitar) and output (to amp) mixed up. That's why it worked in bypass mode. Put it back together and try again.
>>
>>1022530
Whaaat? I'm pretty sure I'm plugging it correctly, lol
>>
OP Here. Update: I made continuity tests across the integrated circuits (it has a classic LM741CN opamp and a RC4558P). They have no continuity whatsoever. How should I check that they are working properly?

And thank you all very much for your kind advices!
>>
>>1022567

these continuity checks can only get you so far. your next course of action is to check the voltages across the op-amps. the 741 has power across pins 4 and 7, with 7 being positive. so measure between those 2 pins. repeat for the 4558. pin 8 is plus, 4 is minus. how do you know which is pin 8? google it. look for the notch.

if you have power on both chips, next you gotta trace the path of the signal. use an audio amp, like a powered computer speaker, and probe the path from input thru to the output of each op-amp: on the 4558 that's pins 1 and 7, on the 741 it's pin 6.
>>
>>1021942
>continuity across the switch

Also check the pots. Make sure there is a fixed resistance between the two outside terminals and that the center terminal to one side or the other varies smoothly. Sometimes these things can get oxidized and loose contact internally.
>>
OP UPDATE: Sorry for not posting here so often. I have made continuity tests across the ICs and there isn't continuity between Vcc and Vee; what's more, there isn't any kind of continuity. Sometimes the multimeter makes a little continuity whistle but less than a second. So I'm guessing that the ICs are fried and I think i'm going to replace them on a desperate move and see what happens. What do you think?
>>
Shameless self bump, just in case
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.