[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have 2 dozen empty beer bottles that I wanted to do something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: beer bottles.jpg (440KB, 1261x700px) Image search: [Google]
beer bottles.jpg
440KB, 1261x700px
I have 2 dozen empty beer bottles that I wanted to do something artistic with, and thought about breaking them up and doing a 3D, stained-glass sculpture (it would not be cathedral-window pretty but that's kinda the point). Does anyone have experience making stained glass? I read up on the topic and materials should be easy to come by (solder, copper tape etc.).

Question is - is it even possible to do a (small size) 3D sculpture with this method? Or would it be easier to bind the broken glass by some other method, like hot glue? Or is it not even possible without proper expensive gear?
>>
the glass is curved
good luck making anything but a stained glass beer bottle without a furnace
>>
>>1020350
What if I get pieces that are small enough, so their surface is relatively less curved, and the sculpture has lots of contours to work with? Just an idea.
>>
>>1020327

If you have the means to heat it to a softened state, you could put it on a metal plate to relax and flatten out.
>>
>>1020358
Means = a kiln? Then unfortunately no. Otherwise I would have done something in clay, and rest pieces of glass against flat surfaces and let them melt into the sculpture.
>>
>>1020327
With like church windows isn't it just Lead that they use to hold it together?

Otherwise if you want sculptures without a kiln you could maybe try encapsulating broken glass in water clear Resin. That's the nigger way of doing it, sort of like cold cast Bronze.

To fuse glass you'd need a Kiln, as others have already said.
>>
>>1020692
>water clear Resin
I had bad experience with clear epoxy for small projects, after a few small hits it started to crack and looked ugly. I thought about casting a sculpture from clay/plaster and filling it with broken glass, but the above is partly why I threw it out the window.

I'm not 100% locked on the idea of stained-glass 3D sculpture, if it can't be done (i.e. no flat surfaces, can't design it well enough) I'm open to other suggestions.
>>
File: toucan_chico.jpg (104KB, 700x836px) Image search: [Google]
toucan_chico.jpg
104KB, 700x836px
>>1020697
Bump. Any ideas?
>>
>>1021217
Second bump. I've broken one bottle to see how small and thin the pieces would be, and if I can get a straight surface, but they're mostly curved, although I could work them into weird angles.

I could actually do a giant beer bottle and label, made of all the old beer bottles and their labels...
>>
File: blueand yellow.jpg (9KB, 300x199px) Image search: [Google]
blueand yellow.jpg
9KB, 300x199px
>>1020327
Use some "green stuff" or any other epoxy putty
>>
File: 123307744126934357000.jpg (65KB, 464x768px) Image search: [Google]
123307744126934357000.jpg
65KB, 464x768px
Last bump, calling for anyone with experience with making stained glass structures (or even just an idea of what to do with all the bottles) to the table.
>>
>>1022294
>or even just an idea of what to do with all the bottles

Recycling bin.
>>
>>1022315
I meant in a more artistic sense, Anon. I can sculpt in clay, I have access to basic tools and equipment, but I never dealt with glass and don't have access to something which can melt it or reshape it.
>>
Beer bottles are perfect for a glass walking act. Simply break them into smallish pieces (size of your thumb) and spread them out. Trick is to keep the force on the convex side of the shards, so you'll want to roll your weight on the OUTSIDES of your foot. Its a fun hobby and great at parties too.
>>
>>1022324
>>1020327
It's fucking beer bottles. Unless you're going to decorate with them or whatever and they're "rare" , fucking just smash them and try to nigger rig a stained glass thing together.

You're not dealing with fucking dark matter, if it works, great! If it doesn't work then just throw the shit away like you probably should now.

This is not a plan for a year project, this is a fuck it project.
>>
>>1022429
>This is not a plan for a year project, this is a fuck it project.
These beer bottles are important to me (that sounds fucking strange), I want to make something with THEM in particular, not just any bottle. Also the sculpture I thought to make of them was gonna be a present to someone, so I wanted to make it good.
>>
Maybe you could try making a latex or hollow rubber/silicone pattern. Then fill it with wax and just glue your broken glass together over its surface. Then once its dry melt out the wax, remove the latex pattern, then you're left with a glass sculpture/thing/whatever.

You could also potentially make something out of foam (instead of latex) then dissolve the foam out using Acetone.

Hollow latex patterns can be made via Absorption casting.

The process (in my mind) would be like when you make a papier mache by gluing paper over a balloon and then remove the balloon. This my process almost certainly will not work.
>>
File: beer-bottle.jpg (125KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
beer-bottle.jpg
125KB, 425x425px
>>
>>1022977
tacky af senpai
>>
>>1022977
Frat-house chic?
>>
>>1022982
i don't disagree, but anon said he wanted a beer bottle project. who am i to try and dissuade him?
>>
File: flatternedbottlesd.jpg (5KB, 266x189px) Image search: [Google]
flatternedbottlesd.jpg
5KB, 266x189px
>>1020327
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOFC1u_6JwU
>>
OP here.

>>1023028
I don't have a kiln, but thanks for the idea. I also hate this woman.

>>1022977
The person who might get whatever I make is not a student anymore so this wouldn't fit in his new home, his wife might have something to say about that chandelier. I would also rather make something more compact - although, adding a small light source to whatever I make isn't a bad idea at all.
>>
Broken glass isn't fun to work with
You can do basic stone knapping with them but if you're looking to make home decorations you should just stick some lights in them

A stained glass sculpture isn't going to convince your buddy to leave his wife for you, even if it's made from the same beers you got home drunk on before putting it in his butt

Bro rape isn't cool
>>
>>1023146
Lel fuck this is what this is for isn't it???
>>
What's the dangers of working with broken glass like that? Could OP inhale glass particles that will shred his lungs, causing immense and irreversible pain?

I seem to recall that's how Spinoza died.
>>
maybe you could break everything but the bottom of the bottles, and make something out of glass disks? Theyd be flat enough maybe?
>>
>>1020327
make kilju
>>
File: glasses.jpg (80KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
glasses.jpg
80KB, 500x270px
>>1023043
Turn them into drinking glasses.
>>
>>1024241
this triggers me because it doesnt hold enough fluid. a wine bottle would be pretty cool i bet
>>
>>1024385
or 22oz bombers
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.