[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 72

File: 2aa.gif (42KB, 529x324px) Image search: [Google]
2aa.gif
42KB, 529x324px
Questions that don't deserve their own thread general.

Hi /diy/

I have one similar to pic related. I've managed to get the leaking jammed alkaline battery out. I'd use a mild acid to clean it but its aluminium and that would wreck it.

>Best substance to clean it with???

Sure I could just throw it out but /diy/.
>>
>>1016231
Soap and water and a brush. Unless you are using ph13 strong acid nothing too exciting is going to happen,you.might not even notice it doing anything to the battery gunk. Use a brass of plastic brush on the battery contacts if they ate damaged. The plating might be screwed already though. Bad plating will oxidize and present that as high resistance and make your flashlight dim.
>>
>>1016231
How bad was the damage to the casing? If only minor you can use a mild acid and then rinse it with water.

Then use a mechanical means of abrasion to smooth out the damaged aluminum.
>>
>>1016232
>The plating might be screwed already though

Seems fine. The leak was in the centre away from the end contacts.

>>1016232
>Soap and water and a brush.

Will give it a shot. May get a strip of sand paper down there on a wire driven by a drill if its too bad and give it a spin.
>>
>>1016231
OMG just use viniger
>>
>>1016303
>OMG just use viniger
vinegar is what to use on alkaline battery leaks
you just rinse it with vinegar for ~30 seconds, you don't leave the part soaking in vinegar. the battery leak stuff bubbles a bit when the vinegar hits it (it's supposed to do that)
rinse the vinegar off well with warm water & a bit of dish soap

DO NOT use vinegar on the reflector, the aluminum coating is very thin and easily damaged
for cleaning the reflector you need to use warm water + dish soap + a cotton ball. scrub it very very lightly. Even just scrubbing the reflector firmly with a plastic brush will put scratches in it.
>>
What's the general opinion on gas powered soldering irons? They're currently selling them cheap at aldi over here in the UK/
>>
File: glowtip440.jpg (17KB, 440x323px) Image search: [Google]
glowtip440.jpg
17KB, 440x323px
>>1016830
If it's cheap it's probably shit. I tried one from harbor freight and it was pretty shit. If you pay $50-$100 for a nice plumbing one that can adjust down to electric work, I guess that's fine, but you may as well just buy a hakko and get much easier regulation.

http://www.dansdata.com/vulkan.htm
>>
Have used a variety of them. The only good ones were weller and drm. The cheapo ones leaked and would not tin proppely.
>>
Anybody got any suggestions on books/youtube channels/anything at all to learn how to solder?
>>
Are heat briquettes/beads an acceptable stand in for charcoal in a forge? Any downsides or differences?
>>
>>1016303
>>1016401
Thanks folks. Did this, washed it out with soap and water, dried it, lubed up the contacts with petroleum jelly and now it goes.
>>
>>1017797
>lubed up the contacts with petroleum jelly
Why?
>>
>>1017854
>>lubed up the contacts with petroleum jelly
to coat the area to protect from future corrosions, i guess
>>
I want to plane some short planks, but the problem is I don't have any proper work bench with vices yet. I only have a couple of bar clamps.
Can you think of any clever way to clamp down these planks? They are too short to clamp it at the end and work on half of it.
I work on metal desk that i cover with big plywood borad in which I can cut holes if necessary.
>>
>>1017884
You can easily rig something up with a 2x4, a 2x6 and some pipe clamps. You can get 10ft of 1/2" pipe for $10, and some of the clamp pieces from harbor freight for like $7 a piece. With some creativity you can figure out a way to mount it to your bench, and you can effectively make it as large as you want. Basically you're going to make something that serves the same purpose as a moxon vise. You could also use threaded rod, 2x6, nuts and washers, but it won't be as strong or easy to use, and at most you'd save like $10.

I have my own question. I bought a house with oak floors. They need to be refinished but the wood is in mostly good to great condition. There's 2 issues.

1. They ran coaxial cable straight through the floor in a couple spots. I'm going to run it through the wall and make a jack. I was going to drill the holes to match a dowel then glue the dowel in place before I take a floor sander to it. I was thinking about buying an oak dowel, but that will be end grain showing. Would I be better off buying a dowel cutter for my drill press and making a dowel with face grain showing?

2. A couple of planks have cupped from a dog pissing on them. It's right by the front door so worst case scenarios I'll do ceramic tile right there as an entry way(we get harsh winters and that's not uncommon here), but is there anyway to hide the gaps otherwise? Maybe some kind of wood filling compound made for flooring, not just hiding screws?
>>
>>1017870
This. It prevents oxidisation. On close inspection the plating had been attacked in one end. I've done loads of plastic housed things like TV remotes with it. Just wasn't sure about the aluminium.
>>
>>1017155
If you say what type of soldering it may help anons recommend.
>>
Is there something relatively cheap that can act as a psi gauge and valve? I have an air source and it's connected to a solenoid and I need to control the air flow a bit more finely. Or at least what thread would I head to to ask about this.
>>
File: trastampamotoxplay-w782.jpg (34KB, 782x440px) Image search: [Google]
trastampamotoxplay-w782.jpg
34KB, 782x440px
I have a MotoX Play that I want to chest mount because I am too pleb for a Go Pro. Any suggestions on how to?
>>
I have a 1000 watt zvs induction heater, one of those small Chinese ones. At what temperature of the board should i shut it down to prevent damage? And what about the temperature of the coil?
The board wil be air cooled and the coil water cooled.
>>
>>1018867
get a phone case with a belt clip
>>
File: $_57.jpg (70KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
70KB, 800x800px
>>1018964
Do you think this would work?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161939837402?_trksid=p2045573.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI161939837402.N36.S1
>>
File: $_57-1.jpg (72KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
$_57-1.jpg
72KB, 1500x1500px
>>1018964
>>1018972
Ended up with this for $4 via slow boat from China. I think this will work. Thank you for the suggestion.
>>
>>1018984
Should work fine
>>
>trying to buy cedar wood chips to get rid of fleas
>ebay
>"Buy our bags of shaven shit that will fly away under slight wind!"
CHIPS
WHERE DO I FIND CHIPS

The Pennyroyal can't ship in fast enough.
>>
>>1019057
>>trying to buy cedar wood chips to get rid of fleas

Just get some indorex spray and high temp wash everything in your house.

Combo it up with some Diatomaceous Earth, and you'll be sorted in no time.
>>
>>1017952
>some kind of wood filling compound made for flooring, not just hiding screws?

Google 'flooring filler'
>written instructions
>video demos
>>
>>1019057
Look for cedar mulch if you want chips.
>>
File: DSC_0100.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0100.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
What the Fuck is this and do I need to worry about it. It's scattered all around the front of a house that I'm renting
>>
Ok, a basic electrics questions:

I am trying to wire up an appliance to the mains, it has a live and neutral cable. The only cables i have to hand are two core + ground.

Can I safely wire this up, and simply tape off the ground wire, since it is not being used by the appliance?

Thanks, I know, I'm retarded.
>>
>>1019419
Yes.
>>
File: IS296708-01-01-BIG.jpg (35KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
IS296708-01-01-BIG.jpg
35KB, 700x700px
I've been using one of these for my earphones but the volume goes down when I do. I'm assuming it's because of the cable's resistance, so what's the easiest way to boost an audio signal?
>>
>>1019859
Make one with heavier wire.
>>
>>1019873
Heavier? As in thicker? I guess I could give it a go. However I'm more interested in a solution that can potentially allow me to go for a much longer cable.
>>
>>1019882

then you need an amplifier.

Either you build one yourself or buy one in pocketsize.
>>
>>1019859
get a higher quality cable
You probably have the lowest chink quality extension there is.
>>
>>1019885
Thanks, I believe that's what I'm looking for. Not sure if I have what it takes to build one, but we'll see.
>>1019887
Yeah it looks like they just coated a gray wire of sorts with some copper or copper lookalike. I'm surprised it didn't break after all this time too, this shit's brittle as hell.
>>
>>1019147
>shitposting
>>
I'm looking for something that's akin to a usb hub, but somewhat like an I/O shield so that it can be mounted. I'm making a raspberry pi project and I want a usb extension to the outside of what I'm putting it in. I could just get a regular usb hub and finagle and ghetto mount it in some way I'm sure, but I'd like to first see if what I'm looking for exists.

Anyone know of anything in that vein?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (25KB, 804x599px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
25KB, 804x599px
Pic related is a template, roughly 150x200mm. I print these, glue them onto thin metal sheeting, and cut them out to bend into sculptures (think /po/ but with steel). At the moment I just use some beefy fabric scissors to cut them out, which give a clean and straight edge.

If I wanted to mass produce these components, what tool should I be looking to build? Laser cutter? CNC table? if I could cut thicknesses up to half a millimeter, I would be happy anon.
>>
>>1020126
>If I wanted to mass produce these components, what tool should I be looking to build?
punch-press
>>
Looking for small/medium fun projects to build while the class tards at welding school finish their assignments.

Are there websites that have detailed plans/drawings/blueprints for all kinds of stuff?
I tried looking for that myself but apparently I don't really know the proper terms in English since it brings me to stuff about office management and IT.
>>
ewbie to diy and soldering electronics... i've tried two different irons and electrical solder but still can't get the solder to stick while tinning.

solder i'm using: silver bearing rosin core electrical solder .040'' (1mm)
iron i'm using: 60 watt 110 volt Weller pen

tried a wet sponge for cleaning as well as some copper abrasive, lightly. still won't stick.

what am i missing here?
>>
>>1019226
Don't worry, bricks are almost completely harmless.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
a pin fell off of my lefse griddle, anyone know what type of material I should use to keep it on in the future? The pin conducts electricity and I'm not sure what adhesive to use.
>>
File: IMG_20160709_185124.jpg (822KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160709_185124.jpg
822KB, 1520x2688px
I have above 150 of these. The rust is all on the surface.

What should I do with them?
>>
>>1020409
flux, my man. Either a little jar of it, or just get flux-core solder. The jar is preferable. If you're doing surface mount, you might want a flux pen too.
>>
>>1020446
bench grinder with wire wheel. clamp head of bolt with vice grips

WEAR GOGGLES, sometimes those little guys fling off the wire wheel.
>>
>>1020409
>>1020447
missed the rosin-core part. Still, a separate jar of flux would help, but also, what are you trying to solder to? Is it really thermally massive? The entire work piece needs to be hot enough and if it's huge, it's really hard to heat up.
>>
>>1020449
oh, lol, I meant to ask what I should make with them. They're really nice but I don't have any need for that much fixturing, so I want to put them to some other kind of use.
>>
File: 20160709_221153.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160709_221153.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
There's no power in this gfci outlet, or the next outlet. What could be the problem?
>>
File: table.jpg (169KB, 760x689px) Image search: [Google]
table.jpg
169KB, 760x689px
Curious what other people who have attempted this have done:

A few years ago, I came across pic-related table and I've always thought it would be a cool project. I've never gotten around to making one, but what I have done is get way into beer and brewing. I'm going to build a [mostly] homemade fridge to hold a keg and tap to have my beer always on draft.

What could I use as a container to make it interesting, but also practical?

Dimensions:
Must hold a keg of at least 17" wide by 24" tall, preferably with some wiggle room for changing out and tubing.
>>
File: 20160709_221945.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160709_221945.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>1020455
More images for reference
>>
>>1020449
>>1020446
Are you trying to torture the guy? Just soak them in some phosphoric acid.

Or if you wanna get fancy put them into a wire basket and then electrolyze them
>>
>>1020455
>>1020459

Get a multimeter or find some other way of testing the wires (like a test lamp). Test the wires going to your first dead outlet.

Power? If so, the outlet GFCI is tripped or the outlet itself is fucked. Replace.

No Power? If so the wires or something up the line from them is fucked. Will require further troubleshooting to identify what.
>>
>>1020126
I'll tell you, this guy's right, if you want to commit a whole machine, production line, and setup to your template:
>>1020154

Laser might cut 0.5mm steel. A CNC router table would have trouble because the material is so thin.

Maybe consider a pantograph to follow a wood master template:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtm4u583YOQ
>>
>>1020466
Okay so it had three hot on one side and three neutral wires on the other.
Also three ground twisted together.
When I connect the multimeter to the bottom most hot and neutral, there is power up to 120v.
The other wires have no power. Then the next outlet also doesn't have power either.
I replaced the second outlet with a regular one just to get that out of the way.
This 1st outlet is weird.
One of each wire is wrapped and screwed down like a normal outlet.
Then on the bottom two screw areas, there's actual two wires going in, under the screw and tightened down
>>
>>1019057
Fuck cedar get diatomaceous earth and commit flea genocide. Might want to prepare to get a new vacuum though, or at least prepare for the inevitability of having that fine powder pop up everywhere for years.

But the good news is, it fucks up fleas beyond belief. I had a bad infestation a few years ago, gave the cats their flea meds and thought it might calm down but it just got worse.

Went with the diatomaceous earth and they were dead within a week. Haven't had a flea problem since.
>>
>>1020527
On GFIC outlets two of the screw terminals are for 'input' from the breaker/mains
The other pair of terminals are part of the protected circuit.
If the next outlet is connected to the protected terminals it will not have power when the GFIC is tripped.
If you can't get power out of the GFIC outlet you won't get power out of the protected terminals.
GFIC outlets sometimes just die and can't be reset.
>>1020527
>When I connect the multimeter to the bottom most hot and neutral, there is power up to 120v.
This is the 'input' from the breaker/maiins
>>1020527
>The other wires have no power.
These are to feed other outlets on this same mains breaker circuit.
If these are connected to the protected terminals - the GFIC has tripped or has died and can't be reset.
You did try to reset it by pressing the 'reset' button didn't you?
>>1020527
>Then the next outlet also doesn't have power either.
If the next outlet gets it's power from the protected terminals of this GFIC outlet it won't have power until the fault has be corrected.
>>
>>1020572
>>1020527
continued:
>One of each wire is wrapped and screwed down like a normal outlet.
>Then on the bottom two screw areas, there's actual two wires going in, under the screw and tightened down
This is confusing to me. You said. "the bottom most hot and neutral, there is power up to 120v".
Then you said, "Then on the bottom two screw areas, there's actual two wires going in..."
How many bottoms are there? Also, on the outlet pictured the wires aren't intended to be wrapped around the screw. It's designed for the wires to be stripped 1/2" or so (there is a gauge embossed into the housing) and stuck between the square 'washer' and the actual terminal which has the little 'teeth' to grip the wire when the screw is tightened.
The original intent could have been to have this GFIC protect two other wire pairs or to have one pair protected and one pair unprotected depending on where the extra pairs are connected.
Either way, I repeat - GFIC outlets sometimes just die and can't be reset.
>>
>>1019226

look like some dropped a bucket of bitumen?

anyone else thinks the same?
>>
File: 1365516372940.jpg (40KB, 549x525px) Image search: [Google]
1365516372940.jpg
40KB, 549x525px
Got a problem with my plumbing. I suspect the outflow pipe is partially blocked.

Sinks and toilet will drain fine during the day but by night time (or if someone foolishly tries to do a load of washing after I tell them the drains are fucked) the sinks and toilet start backing up. If you try to flush the toilet it fills and slowly drains. Similar thing happens with all the sinks and shower/bath drains. When one starts backing up so do all the others.

Is there anything I can do to try to reduce this? I am renting and the owner is taking fucking forever to call a plumber because they are too cheap to pay the $1000 or so it would cost (direct quote from them).
>>
>>1020573
Okay I see. Maybe get a new gfci?
And there are three hots and three neutrals right.
One hot and one neutral are screwed down.
The other two hots and other two neutrals are under the washer
>>
>>1020572
Also yes I tried resetting. The green led is still lit but no power.
Im guessing the wires must've either got mixed up or the gfci has died like you said
>>
File: 20160710_145008.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160710_145008.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>1020573
Pic related.
Three neutrals on this side, and three hots on the other
>>
>>1020699
The wires aren't just going to jump around in the wall unless you removed the outlet and fucked with it before it 'failed'

If you were just sitting there minding your own business and the gfci tripped, then one of your down stream wires is fucked and you need to check it with your meter, or the GFCI itself is fucked.

Three pairs is fine. One pair is hot, and that goes on the incoming/unprotected side of the outlet. One of the other pair must be protected, and the last one can either be protected (By bonding it to the protected side) or not (by bonding it to the incoming/unprotected side)

If you really don't understand this after we've explained it to you so many times, just sit down and call an electrician, you're not getting it.
>>
File: 20160710_145557.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160710_145557.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>1020573
See the bottom(3rd) neutral and the bottom(3rd) hot have power.
Shouldn't those two be at the top(under the screw where the first set of wires are)?
>>
>>1020702
No I understand. It was like this when I moved in.
I'm just wondering if therws anything I could do myself before calling someone.
I'm guessing the previous owner fucked it up before I came here.
>>
>>1020703
No. They are protected by the GFCI. They might be inside your bathroom or bedroom where they MUST be protected by a GFCi. You can't just move them to the other side, and this shit was obviously working at one point before you opened the wall up and fucked it up.
>>
>>1020705
It was not. No matter what I tried, nothing would be powered so then i decided to open it up and take a look.
For things like maybe rodents biting it or something not tightened right.
>>
>>1020703
Oh, re-read that, and yes, the hot pair should be on the line side. You probably fucked that up the first time you removed it.
>>
>>1020708
I did not move anything at all. Just opened it to take a look.
I haven't changed any wiring or moved anything yet.
>>
>>1020700
>>1020703

The gold screws are hot, silver are neutral
>>
>>1020687
Tell the landlord you're withholding rent until they get the problem fixed, and look for a new apartment, since he's probably going to be a jackass to you for doing it.
>>
File: test1.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
test1.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
Hey /diy/, rate my grounding!

Also, how do I fix? It gives funny tingles when I'm barefoot.
>>
I'm making a guitar case and I need foam to protect the guitar inside of it. I see people use spray foam but I can't find the kind they use, the one's I can find don't expand very much and get hard. Any suggestions?
>>
>>1020819
Your power brick is probably fucked
>>
File: table.jpg (48KB, 443x509px) Image search: [Google]
table.jpg
48KB, 443x509px
I've been tasked with building an autistic hipster tier coffee table out of some 12 foot 2x4's, old screws sitting at the bottom of my dads tool box for a while, spray paint, a phillips head, a dull hand saw with half the teeth bent out of shape, and a boyscouts knife.

Any ideas?

I'm cutting the 2x4's into 3ft long segments and piecing them together to make the table surface, so 2x3ft surface. Underside will be braced with 2ft long 2x4's vertically.
>>
File: 1468177187522.jpg (706KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
1468177187522.jpg
706KB, 2000x1125px
>>1020709
>I did not move anything at all. Just opened it to take a look.
>I haven't changed any wiring or moved anything yet.
Then how did the hot wires get disconnected from the gold terminals as shown in
>>1020703
>20160710_145557.jpg

Also, the ground wire MUST be connect to the ground tab with the green screw or it will not work properly.

>>1020700
>20160710_145008.jpg
shows the doubled white wires on the 'input' terminals.
My guess is the larger white (probably #12) is the actual feed wire and the smaller white (probably #14) is going to an unprotected outlet or device.
The single white at the other end is neutral for an additional protected pair.
The fat black wire and the thinner black wire that is IN THE SAME SHEATH as the thin white paired with the fat white wire get connected to the gold terminal across the outlet.
The thin black wire that is IN THE SAME SHEATH as the single thin white wire goes to the gold terminal across from it.
The ground wire goes to the screw (usually green) on the end of the outlet.

If pic related doesn't make sense to you, CALL A PROFESSIONAL.
>>
>>1020908
Buy a miter box and accompanying saw. Buy a random orbital sander.

Put table together, sand stuff so it is flush with 40 or 60 grit. Smooth up to 220 or 300. Stain and seal as you would.
>>
File: Laptop-power-supply.jpg (206KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Laptop-power-supply.jpg
206KB, 1600x1600px
how do i make this 18v psu work on a bnreadboard. my mentor said something about a switch or so that i should be worried about before i shove it into a breadboard
>>
>>1020916
Yeah I had to disconnect the hots to get a better picture but they're still in the same positions.

Yes I know about the ground as well, I also had to disconnect as it was to short to properly get a picture.

Yeah I know where to put them, but the uppermost neutral and hot were just wrapped around the screw so ill try putting under the washer/sheathe and then tighten them down.

What you just told me was exactly how they were before I disconnected then to get a picture

But I'll put the wires under the sheathe as you said and come back with the results.
>>
>>1016231
Where the fuck do people go to buy furniture wood?

I want to build a swing for my wife and all i've ever built shit with in the past was scrap wood from lumber yards
>>
>>1020950
If it was wired like you say when you opened it up the GFIC is bad ot there is a fault on the outlet(s) connected to the protected terminals.

Just replace it for ~$15
>>
>>1020806
Problem with that is that there is nowhere else around here (here being within 2 hours of here) I could afford. I can only afford this place because the owner is something of a family friend.
>>
>>1020939
What the fuck to you want to do you idiot
>>
>>1016231
Throw it away, it does too much damage. I had 2 or three I tried to fix and its just too much work
>>
>>1020956
Honestly, why cant you just use 2x4s and 2x6s from the hardware store?
Would work perfectly fine
>>
>>1017795
They make alot more ash than standard charcoal
>>
>>1020126
What would you call that kind of thing? Metal origami or something. Anywhere I can find more info?
>>
>>1020819
> It gives funny tingles when I'm barefoot.
Switched-mode PSUs often have the DC ground connected to both live and neutral on the mains side via class Y capacitors, in order to filter out RFI.

This results in the DC ground being 60V or 120V AC relative to earth. The amount of current which can flow is too small to be harmful but enough to be felt.
>>
>>1020980
use it as a 18v power supply for qwhatever i want. you idiot. it's going into a breadboard you idiot
>>
>>1020983
I'm looking at colors among other things. 2x4s dont finish the same way certain hard woods do
>>
>>1020957
Thanks, I'll go find one of the same type.
My local home depot is far(20 mins)
I've switched the other outlets in my house just to make sure but theyre plain outlets so those are simple to wire correctly and i tested them already after installing the new outlets to make sure they're correct.
So it's definitely just that one gfci that's giving me problems.
>>
File: 1467200552273.gif (21KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1467200552273.gif
21KB, 750x750px
What kind of lubricant should I use with a tile saw? I've heard a million different things. Some people say to use water with a drop of pam. Some people say to use functional stuff with anti-corrosive capabilities. Some people say to use oil. My grandpa told me to use old motor oil, but I'm not too sold on that.
>>
>>1021242
>What kind of lubricant should I use with a tile saw?
What kind of blade?
>>
I have an odd request, I am looking for a cool mechanical or electrical piece that I can give as a gift to 2 engineering professors. It would be for a graduation gift sort of thing, ideally something that they could use to demo engineering concepts or at least act as a design counterpoint.

As a way of background, professor A is like world renowned THE guy to see on engines and powertrains, and likes to have little demo pieces of things in his office to show off concepts sometimes, so I thought a piece of a unique engine or something might be nice.
Professor B is very into microelectronic circuits .
I have no idea where to look for this sort of thing, does anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>1020956
>buy lumber
The only woods I buy for woodworking is exotic shit for inlays or whatever. I spend a lot of time trolling craigslist for people cutting down hardwood trees.
Though the fuckers usually cut it into foot-long chunks, instead of the 2-3 yard lengths I like to saw into planks to make furniture with.
>>
Would getting a 16A switch changed for one of a higher amperage stop the switch from flipping everytime there is more than one heater on?

Or would I need to get the rooms split off from eachother so there is a switch for each room?

Just trying to work out how much it would cost to get an electrician to do this.
>>
>>1021266

No idea about what to do with A.

For B all I can think of is a partially-finished silicon wafer. Such as:

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G20647

...but then again, I feel like he might already have a few of them.
>>
>>1021468
getting a bigger switch would stop it flipping, but it would also more than likely end up with you cooking your wiring/outlet and starting a house fire rendering the need for a heater invalid (until the whole thing burns down that is)
>>
>>1020446
lookup 12v rustremoval 5galbucket
lookup black oxide coating for gun parts
>>
>>1020455
> nice dubs
i see loose wires in there
go read the howtoelectrical book at the hardware store
>did you push the button?
there may be a fault at the next oulet
sometimes gfci just die and need to be replaced
>>
>>1020819
Fucking Lenovo. My thinkpad does the same thing when hooked to the grid. Is it the 65w 20V AC adapter for 220v you're using? The Ñ rats you out a fair bit.
>>
I got about 60 buttons. They're made of red plastic, and there's some kind of text in white paint that I can scratch off. How do I get rid of the paint? I'd prefer not to scratch it off as that'd be a ton of work and leave marks. Currently I'm trying to remove it with Isopropyl alcohol, but that's not working.
>>
>>1021468
That's not a "switch", it's a circuit breaker. Its entire job is to cut the power if you try to draw more current than the wiring can handle.

If the circuit has a 16A breaker, that suggests that the wiring can handle 16A. Using a higher-current breaker will just mean that the wiring burns out (possibly starting a fire) instead of the breaker tripping.

If you want more current, you need more (or thicker) wire.
>>
>>1021472
That's a good thought anon. Thanks for the suggestion
>>
File: IMG_20160712_141248.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160712_141248.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
This is a fuse from a Kenwood juicer. Is this a slow blow fuse? And where can I get the replacement caps for the fuse ends. I found nothing on ebay.
>>
>>1021602
And the details on it are
250W5A 62S
>>
File: catchbox.jpg (70KB, 955x745px) Image search: [Google]
catchbox.jpg
70KB, 955x745px
So I'm wanting to make a swarf collector like you might use for a small router or other hand tool and have come up with pic related. Incoming (top right) filth hits and disperses on baffle, then hits layered metal plates, each with holes smaller than the last. Bottom is largest holes, top is smallest (likely a wire mesh of some sort) with a red filter before the outlet and impeller (top right). Side and baffles come off for emptying and periodic clean. Whole thing is 250x200x100 excl. fan, HDD and battery for scale.

I'm banking on volume versus velocity here. As I understand it, the large volume of slow moving (by the time it enters the chamber) air will settle and slow enough to allow particles to drop out at each baffle layer, leaving nothing but the lightest dust for the filter to handle. Am I physicsing it right?
>>
>>1021602
That is indeed a slow blow fuse, and I think you need to buy the whole thing as one unit. You can't solder to a slo-blow, if they heat up during overload there goes your solder. I know them as axial fuses, ask the Internets and see what you find locally.
>>
>>1021619
Thank you! I didn't know about axial fuses. Kept getting car and heavy duty related fuses. Was going mental.
>>
>>1021501
Acetone
>>
>>1021631
You're a cunt.

>>1021501
Do not use acetone, this will literally melt the plastic. You can try some 0000 steel wool but this will also mar the surface. otherwise scratching as carefully as you can it is.
>>
i have something like 3500 .177 cal steel bb's for air guns i no longer own. what the fuck can i do with them besides toss them or insert in my anus/urethra? steel 12 gauge shot or wax slugs?
>>
>>1022072
..sell them to someone with a bb gun you dense fuck?
>>
>>1022079
Why would I go through all that trouble for literally $5
>>
>>1022080
I don't know, you were too stupid to hand the BB's over to whoever got your guns (or throw them out with the guns if that's what you did) god knows what the fuck you're capable of.
>>
What do I attach flourescent tubes to? I'm going to be using to hang over an aquarium but I can't find any specific sockets online.
>>
File: 1433388351271.png (200KB, 500x276px) Image search: [Google]
1433388351271.png
200KB, 500x276px
I want to make an electric furnace to melt aluminum and copper because swapping a propane tank eveey 2 or 3 melts gets old. I just have a couple questions:

Kanthal or nichrome? Or should I try and use a stove element like I saw in one tutorial?

I want to power this with a 120v microwave transformer, is it possible and do i need more amps or volts?

The 120v primary coil has 100 winds and I want to output 240v (it's what a lot of tutorials recommend) I simply need to add a 200 wind secondary correct?

How can I tell how much power the transformer takes in so I can calculate it's possible output?

Any other suggestions?
>>
>>1022096

Kanthal has a higher maximum operating temperature.

You don't need or want any transformer. Heating elements like this normally just plug straight into the wall, or, if temperature regulation is required, modulated with a relay (which is plugged into the wall).

Get the resistance per foot/meter of the wire you plan to use. Figure out how long a wire you need to get the resistance needed to draw the required current from the 120V (or 240V) you get out of a wall socket. Wind into coils and put into furnace.

Also keep in mind that, while technically not required for operation, you want temperature control on this. It's very easy to overheat an electric furnace without it.

Try not to burn anything down, particularly your or anyone else's house.
>>
>>1022098
> Get the resistance per foot/meter of the wire you plan to use.
You need the resistance both at its target operating temperature and at low temperature.

The former tells you how much power it will consume (and how much heat it will generate) when running. The latter tells you how much power it will consume while it's warming up, which will be more than its operating power (resistance is lower when cold).

The mains supply needs to be able to handle the start-up current.
>>
>>1020126
If want mass produce that's for profit so get quotes from a commercial laser cutting outfit. They can get the greatest number from a sheet of metal using nesting software.

You will learn what professionals learn, which is not to throw away money buying ALL the tools for ALL the processes you use. Punch presses require expensive dies and are an expensive specialty item you don't need to own.

Now go make money.
>>
>>1020380
Visit welding forums.

The Miller and Weldingweb sites are superb.
>>
>>1020446
Throw them in a bag or box for future use after determining their thread so you can buy nuts for them.
>>
>>1022096
You can get a 100lb LP tank at many hardware stores which has the same CGA-510 fitting and holds much more fuel. You can get those filled for less money than stores charge for cylinder exchange.
>>
>>1022142
It shouldn't be too different. I'm pretty sure for Kanthal the resistance changes less than 5%.
>>
>>1022098
what gauge of kanthal should i use then?
should i at least use one in a 1:1 winding to isolate it from the wall to try and prevent a fiery death then?
for 100 ft of 22 gauge the resistance would be 131 ohms total, and according to a calculator 120v at 131 ohms would need .9a and use 110 watts. does this sound right?
i plan on using a regular wall dimmer with a switch to make it fancy and mount a temp probe to monitor temperature

>>1022142
doesnt resistance drop with heat? if the calculator is correct then the wall has more than enough juice to fire it up and get it hot in a hurry.

>>1022155
i would but im a milfag who will soon be moving and the gov refuses to ship any sort of pressure vessel even if its completely empty and the valve removed. this is also why i dont have a welding cylinder yet.
>>
File: 1439701358081.jpg (74KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
1439701358081.jpg
74KB, 600x399px
If you're turning a wooden bowl on the lathe, is it true that you need to shape the bowl roughly once, then set it aside for several MONTHS to let the wood warp until it's stable again, then shape it again and finish it? How come I've never needed to do this after cutting/routing/drilling boards and planks?
>>
>>1016401

I prefer lemon juice, eg from a Real Lemon squirt dispenser. Works great and smells better.
>>
>>1020687

Point out to him how much more it is going to cost to fix the water damage when the drains completely back up.
>>
>>1016231

I've finally switched to Eneloops for everything. had to throw out a $150 keyboard because there was no non-destructive way to get the alkalines out. I can't believe how much stuff I have lost over the years due to leakage.
>>
Motherfuking headphone jack broke off half of itself while all the way in my phone. It's too deep to use tweezers, even really thin nose electronic tweezers. Tried using superglue on a Q-tip stick with the cotton removed but even that won't pull it out. What do?
>>
Is there any way to remove rust stains off rough wood that is painted short of painting over it?
>>
>>1022375

Superglue is not a very god gap filler. It works best with two congruent surfaces. The remaining plug is probably rough. I'd use a ground down nail and epoxy. Maybe a waxed paper tube to keep the epoxy from binding to the edge of the jack.
>>
>>1022375
Hold needle or thin pin on end of pliers. Heat with lighter then insert into core of broken headphone tip, keep your hand steady/still till it cools. Gently pull jack from housing. There are tutorials on youtube.
>>
>>1022403
>>1022405
Thanks I'll try these
>>
Hello
I think is diy related thats why I post it here.
I got 3 graphic cards with the same issue. None off them give signal to the monitor. They seem to work since the fan is working plus no beeping sound indicating that there is an issue with the gpu is occurring.
Plus windows seem to start up properly although with nothing on the screen. I want to try fixing them. Do you believe is doable? Is there a way I can pin point the issue?
>>
>>1022419
What are they and have you googled "(make and model) no video signal" yet
>>
>>1022423
8600 gts
Ati 6850 1gb by sapphire
Ati r7 260x 2gb by sapphire again
All off em got the problem after voltage issues while the pc was connected with a ups
>>
>>1022430
>All off em got the problem after voltage issues while the pc was connected with a ups
Does the monitor work with other video source?
>>
>>1022430
I'm going to guess all but maybe the r7 don't need pcie connectors and if they do they're hooked up.
If you said there was a voltage issue more than likely they might be irreparably damaged or the power supply or other components on the mobo are they in a different computer or have you tried different components like a different psu?
>>
Other than self leveling cement are there any other options to level a horrendously wavy cement floor in a basement?
>>
Drill and tap the battery and slide hammer it out. Add some acetone.
>>
>>1022470

Pour more cement on it
>>
>>1022435
>>1022436
I have troubleshoot them in many way.
Different monitors, different ports, dvi hdmi, display port, different mobos and ofc different psu. All the same.
>>
>>1022523
More than likely they're rip then as it seems to be the one common point
>>
>>1022523

your psu/motherboard was fried on some way, not a gpu issue probably
>>
File: hacks_glasesInside.jpg (29KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
hacks_glasesInside.jpg
29KB, 640x427px
I'm working on a rather nonstandard vr headset for phones, basically I wanna know what lenses are in these 2007-era video glasses.
They seem to let you focus on something super fucking close, like <10mm, not the 45mm you get with average cardboard lenses.

tl;dr, what's a lense I can press right up to my fucking eye and focus on something less than half an inch away?
>>
>>1022606
More pics on left.
Is pic related on right what I'm after? Says the 20x works at 0.5-1cm, but I want this shit pressing into my eyeball.
>>
>>1022634
>>1022606
DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCK
Just tried a regular cardboard lense, it's actually fucking perfect for what I want.
>>
>>1020956
Home depot sells hardwood by the board foot, also most lumber yards sell wood that is clear (no knots or defects).
>>
>>1022470
>Break it up
>Haul it out
>Pour new floor
>????????
>Proffit
>>
File: IMAG0176.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0176.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
Did I do good, /diy/?

~$250 after military discount.

My first power tool.
>>
File: derplo_01ur892.png (18KB, 600x441px) Image search: [Google]
derplo_01ur892.png
18KB, 600x441px
>>1022314
>I've finally switched to Eneloops for everything. had to throw out a $150 keyboard because there was no non-destructive way to get the alkalines out. I can't believe how much stuff I have lost over the years due to leakage.
You children amuse me.
Back when 'normal' disposable batteries were carbon-acid, anything they leaked in was presumed dead, since the leaked (liquid!) acid would hit the PCB and creep,,,, and totally destroy PCB traces for a 2-3 inch radius. If the leakage stuff got on your clothes or any fabric or furniture at all, it would eat holes in that too.

At least now when alkaline cells leak, the alkaline shit normally doesn't really hurt anything else. And a bit of vinegar takes it all off in one go.
>>
File: millcutlumber_ur82rj.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
millcutlumber_ur82rj.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
>>1020956
>Where the fuck do people go to buy furniture wood?
>I want to build a swing for my wife and all i've ever built shit with in the past was scrap wood from lumber yards
There are stores that sell fine woods--furniture grade hardwoods and exotic woods like oak, burl oak, cherry, curly maple, elm, ash, plus tropical stuff like cocobolo, tiger wood and so on.
In the US, one chain's name is Woodcraft ( http://www.woodcraft.com/ )

Also in case you did not know: most places that sell furniture-grade wood, sell it mill-cut (pic related). You basically are buying a slice of a tree, as cut by a sawmill. You must plane both sides smooth and parallel and then cut out the board sizes you want from it.

Also in the USA: big-box hardware stores like Lowe's and Home Depot do sell finished boards of red oak. This isn't real expensive but it is a true hardwood (so it is way better than pine) and they sell finished boards so you don't need to do any planing. It comes in kinda-odd sizes tho so you may want to go research the sizes they have, and then design your project around those sizes.
>>
File: dragon fever the ghost.png (163KB, 566x352px) Image search: [Google]
dragon fever the ghost.png
163KB, 566x352px
>>1022857
>exotic woods
>like oak
>>
File: 3.jpg (1MB, 1594x1205px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
1MB, 1594x1205px
Where do you guys go to buy electronic components? I used to get everything from a local radioshack but they all closed.
>>
>>1022871
Pretty awful reading comprehension there, bud. >furniture grade hardwoods and exotic woods like oak, burl oak, cherry....

Furniture grade hardwoods....like oak....
>>
>>1022873
Digikey, personally.
>>
I built a shitty workbench about a year ago with some 2x10s as the surface material. When I built the bench, the boards were tight together, but over the course of a few months, the boards shrunk and now there's gaps in between them. I don't really care about the bench, but if I were to attempt a similar thing on an outdoor table, how long should I wait for the boards to get to their smallest size? They were just shitty pine from home depot
>>
>>1022886
not reading comprehension at all, the sentence is just bad
>>
File: delicious popsicles.png (404KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
delicious popsicles.png
404KB, 600x600px
What glue should I use to attach a dust cover to a speaker? I'm thinking either superglue or some sort of rubber cement.

I know that there's a glue that is specially meant for this sort of thing, but I'm a cheap fuck so I'd prefer to just use something general purpose instead of going down that route, but I guess that I could buy that glue if really necessary.
>>
I am trying to learn how to read mechanical blueprints. I've been watching youtube videos and it seems that like 99% of it is just intuition but the rest is confusing me. I want to model a picatinny rail based off this diagram (http://www.biggerhammer.net/picatinny/) but I can't figure out parts of it. It's like several of the lines don't have dimensions and that confuses me. Can someone help me out?
>>
>>1022907
You're going to need to bust out some geometry to figure out the rest. Blueprints are dimensioned so that a minimal number of dimensions are present. The rest of the dimensions are left as an exercise for the reader.
>>
>>1022903
>attach a dust cover to a speaker
black silicone adhesive
it' sold in small tubes
for the surround, use a different glue
>>
File: WP_20160715_12_33_05_Pro_LI.jpg (545KB, 2672x1504px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160715_12_33_05_Pro_LI.jpg
545KB, 2672x1504px
I pulled some shit out of a box in my workplace that would otherwise be sent to the giveaway cart.

One of them contained a camera module. Just a nondescript extruded box that was riveted shut. It's got some bigass recessed orange button.

Anyway, in the pic there's obviously an S-Video cable (in gold), the camera (pinhole style), and some big honking RCA cable. Well, I don't know if it's an RCA cable because it only looks like one. I've never seen one with thick insulation around the shield.

I'm not sure what the one on the top is. It uses the same locking mechanism as a BNC cable, but the body itself is much longer.
Do I have any hope of plugging it in to some modern equipment and seeing if it works?
My workplace doesn't have the original equipment designed for this module. (I know this for various reasons)
>>
File: WP_20160715_12_33_38_Pro_LI.jpg (318KB, 1504x2672px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160715_12_33_38_Pro_LI.jpg
318KB, 1504x2672px
>>1023180
And these are some power supplies.
Googling the markings was no help. Now all I know is that it was manufactured by a French company, and is obviously supposed to power linear actuators.

You would think that they would provide the output voltage or something more interesting than "110/220V" on the side, but no. No detailed specs on this product.
>>
File: WP_20160715_12_53_07_Pro_LI.jpg (408KB, 1504x2672px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160715_12_53_07_Pro_LI.jpg
408KB, 1504x2672px
>>1023180
Picture of inside of camera module.
>>
>>1023180
I figured out that the cable on top is in fact a BNC cable with a male-female adapter.

Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to figure out what the hell that does without an oscope.
>>
>>1023180
It seems that the "thick RCA cable" is in fact a female DC cable.

I'm probably safe assuming that it's 5V, but I have no way of guaranteeing that.
Could be something stupid like 9V or 12V for all I know.
>>
>>1022072
They make ok slingshot ammo. It ends up working like a cod shotgun, but works well enough on small game if you're within 20-30 feet.
>>
>>1021618
Bampu
>>
>>1023189
Not true, you just need to trace where each lead goes on the PCB, look at the nearby components and work it out from there. There will most likely be a regulator in there, check which cable feeds it, bam, you know where power comes in. Look up the datasheet for the reg, you now have your input voltage.

>>1023201
I concur.
>>
File: photo+3.jpg (337KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
photo+3.jpg
337KB, 1000x750px
How "easy" is it to teach yourself welding? I've always wanted to learn. I would love to make myself some racks for my dual sport bike.
>>
File: paper cd case.png (37KB, 648x885px) Image search: [Google]
paper cd case.png
37KB, 648x885px
Does anyone have an instruction like this pic but for folding a small box to ship a small item (i.e. a flash drive)?
>>
>>1023764
welding is not difficult at all. In fact it is very easy, the theory behind what voltage and what material and etc. is the difficult part. I suggest starting with a MIG welder.
>>
>>1016231
For that AA mini mag lite I would get a wire brush like that used for cleaning copper plumbing fittings and run it through the tube from the battery cap end. I'm not sure if the brushes I'm thinking of are long enough but if not the handle can be broken off. You can put the wire part into the chuck of a drill and run it into the battery tube. I wouldn't use any liquid except maybe some alcohol on a rag to clean out the dust.
>>
File: 1443244287467.jpg (1MB, 2774x3871px) Image search: [Google]
1443244287467.jpg
1MB, 2774x3871px
I have a set a dumbbells that I use outside in my garage on concrete. I would like to be able to cover the iron part that touches the ground with some kind of rubber or rubber-like material.

anyone have any ideas what I can use for this?
>>
>>1024278
You don't want an incredibly small box to ship something. Some services have minimums (even if they are not widely posted) that could cause problems and exceptionally small packages have a much greater chance of being lost or damaged in handling and transportation.
>>
>>1024351
You could place a few interlocking squares of foam rubber padding in the corner where you normally keep the weights, or fancy that up a bit by making a similarly padded tray out of wood. With wheels perhaps?

If you want a rubbery coating on the weights themselves, look for "plasti-dip" , a brand name that supplies a whole host of tool coatings in a liquid or spray form. There are also some rubbery spray coatings that are peddled "as seen on TV". I wouldn't trust them to build a boat out of window screen but any of these materials should give you a rubbery/resilient coating and possibly for cheap. Follow package directions, etc.
>>
File: IF_transformers.jpg (12KB, 300x264px) Image search: [Google]
IF_transformers.jpg
12KB, 300x264px
Does anyone know what the process to make metal cans like pic related is called and what I should be googling.

>No this is not about IF transformers but rather metal work.
>>
>>1024414
'metal stamping'
>>
>>1024414
Stamping? Pretty sure they just lay the parts in a jig and the machine wraps it around the components.
>>
>>1024414
Deep drawing or stamping, depending on dimensions.
>>
>>1024455
This seems to be it. Thanks.
>>
how do i make cuts (some 60 cm) with a jigsaw as straight and clean as possible? i'm thinking of clamping a piece of wood as a guide and paper tape over where i'll be cutting...
>>
>>1024515
The wood will certainly help you get a straight edge, but the cleanliness of the cut depends on blade good blade selection. I tried to find a graphic that relates blade types to cut types without referring to a specific brand, but this should give you an idea. The finer the tooth, the cleaner the cut.
>>
>>1024546
hurp
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 720x960px
I'm trying to repair a fucked up hinge on a door in the basement. My uncle built this back in the 70s when he was 19. When I took off the jamb piece I discovered that 2 of the 3 hinge screws were just going into the drywall and not into the stud. Where did he go wrong? If I move the jamb to be flush with the stud now the drywall and wood trip block the hinge.
>>
can you use regular steel mig wire to weld stainless to stainless?
>>
>>1024574
>I discovered that 2 of the 3 hinge screws were just going into the drywall
I don't see any drywall

Hinges should attach to the door and to the frame/jamb.
The frame/jamb should attach securely to the wall.
Only exterior door hinges have screws through the hinge and into the stud.
Usually, it's only the one or two screws per hinge closest to the center of the frame/jamb.
This is done as a security measure to make break-ins more difficult.
Such measures aren't usually necessary or used on interior doors.

>look up prehung doors
>>
>>1024665
yes, it will bond but it will also rust
>>
>>1024699
>This is done as a security measure to make break-ins more difficult.
I should have added, it also makes plumbing the door easier and gives added support to the heavier exterior door.
If you have a very heavy interior door you may want to go through the hinge and into the stud.
Again, it's usually just in innermost screw on each hinge.
>>
>>1024703
>>1024703

The drywall is the chewed up part between the stud and the wood casing.

Anyways I understand now. He was using 2" screws for the hinges, and i realize those are not typical hinge screws. Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>1024701
ok. ill probably paint it then or something
>>
I need to limit 48v at max 20 amp but really somewhere under that, what do i use to limit the amp /diy/?
>>
>>1024782
Best to get a PSU with built-in current limiting.

Otherwise, you need a second PSU (typically a buck converter). which does have current limiting.

Don't try to use a linear regulator at 20A, as you'll be dissipating a few hundred watts as heat.
>>
File: circuit breaker.jpg (328KB, 1123x740px) Image search: [Google]
circuit breaker.jpg
328KB, 1123x740px
One of my circuit breakers has gotten all fucked. It got flipped when people tried to run too many heaters off the same circuit. I went out to turn it back on and saw pic related.

What is causing this? Is there anything I can do with it myself?
>>
>>1024794
It's fucked, replace with new socket and breaker of identical amp rating and don't try to run so much shit oh the same circuit again.
>>
>>1024807
Good luck with that. I cannot control what people do. I should just move out and let them burn themselves to death.
>>
>>1024794
Bad connection between the contacts where it plugs in caused resistance and consequently heat.

>HPM
>Guessing your Aussie

Get the landlord to have an electrician look at it. You are probably going to be up for a whole new board because changed regulations since that was installed and the requirement for them to bring it up to current spec if they have to work on it.
>>
>>1024812
Yeah Aussie. I am guessing that would be a big and expensive job?
>>
>>1024815
Most likely. I have to get my entire house rewired because of old deteriorating wiring and don't expect much change out of 10k.
>>
File: 1468886110946-1060942311.jpg (3MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
1468886110946-1060942311.jpg
3MB, 3024x5376px
What is this?
>>
>>1024818
Honestly think the landlord would rather kick us out and have no one live here than pay for it.
>>
File: 1468886170073-1123432107.jpg (3MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
1468886170073-1123432107.jpg
3MB, 3024x5376px
>>1024830
>>
what can I use to get super glue off of my aluminum(??) sink? It dripped down into the sink and I'm not sure where to begin. razor blade?
>>
>>1024830
>>1024833
Possibly a speaker jack. That way they don't have to run wires along your floor. Is there another one somewhere for the other speaker?
>>
>>1024832
If you attempt a shifty diy fix:
>Turn off power
>Remove the fuse base
>Cut back wire to unburned part
>Disassemble fuse holder
>Polish all parts to bright metal including wire entry holes
>Scrub as much carbon and shit off the porcelain as possible.
>Reassemble
>Buy new plug in breaker because it will be fuck internally from heat.
>>
>>1024833
I'm guessing some type of old TV distribution system with a tap off plate for 300 ohm ribbon.
>>
what's a good, fairly inexpensive razor (disposable or otherwise)? I don't shave often, but I just can't stand shelling out so much at once for replacement blades. I used to use Mach 3s and similar ones but since I don't shave often (I like cleaning up around my beard/cheeks/neck) I think I might go with disposables or generic cartridge razors depending on recommendations
>>
>>1024836
>get super glue off of my aluminum(??) sink?
The sink is probably stainless steel - not aluminum.
Acetone will dissolve super glue and won't bother stainless steel.
(nail polish remover)
>>
>>1024884
you're right, stainless. IDK what I was thinking. Thanks!!
>>
File: 81h6FduF3yL._SL1500_.jpg (193KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81h6FduF3yL._SL1500_.jpg
193KB, 1500x1500px
Thoughts on the Lotos LTP5000D plasma cutter? It's 50 amp and has pilot arcing for about $400.
>>
>>1024970
Lotus is shit from what i've heard. Save up for a good one if you need it otherwise hire or see if anywhere will cut stuff for you for a decent price.
>>
>>1023764
With all the welding resources on the internet and especially youtube I'd say it isn't super hard. Putting up the money to get yourself together some decent kit and get materials to practise with then having the persistence to go through with it is difficult.

>>1024320
Really? I thought the theory was easy as but getting the skill, the dexterity, the feel, being able to observe the weld going down and manipulate it correctly was hardest but I guess different people are better at different things.

I'd suggest starting with stick if you just want to learn because the upfront is cheaper but if you want to actually make something go with MIG. The more you spend up front getting a good machine the less you spend buying upgrades in the long run, assuming you pull through it and make it to the long run.
>>
>>1025050
Also someone should make a welding thread.
>>
>>1025037
I was afraid of that after reading a review on Amazon that was saying that most of the five star reviews are bogus from fake users with zero other reviews and have that corporate cookie-cutter feeling to them
>>
>>1025051
>Also someone should make a welding thread.

And the sticky should read:

>ALL your questions about welding from noob to niche commercial/industrial jobs are already answered in every level of depth the weldingweb, Miller, Hobart and migwelding.uk (which covers other processes with a nice Euro slant). See Miller and other manufacturer websites for video and other tutorials and other educational materials.

Not being sarcastic either. People don't know where to go and those fora/websites are excellent. I have over 4K posts on weldingweb alone.

If interesting in Asian machines, makers have their own "walled garden" forums on weldingweb plus some other discussion elsewhere.
>>
How do you deal with rust? I tried coke and it didn't work
>>
Go to lowes. Get condenser coil cleaner. It's acid but safe for aluminum. Be very sure to rinse it well. If reside is left behind it will eat at the metal over time. Stuff will clean gonorrhea off a dick.
>>
My damn phone gives me 2/3 bars of signal strength (40-50%)

I already know there's mobile and car signal boosters, but is there one that I can carry in my backpack or carry WITH me?
>>
Are there any obvious/big signs to know when a place is worth renovating or rebuilding would be better?
>>
File: 5b3adc6332e930d51d1eb88b55f5e20e.jpg (254KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
5b3adc6332e930d51d1eb88b55f5e20e.jpg
254KB, 1200x1200px
>>1025369
Foundation is the most important thing to look at, in my humble opinion. Rafters come in a close second.
>>1025186
Electrolysis is surprisingly simple.

Has anyone used one of these? How'd you like it?
>>
>>1025398

One if the makita tools I can't stand. Used it on thin-ish sheet metal. Constantly stalled out and gave the over load warning.

I'd borrowed it as I myself had left my Bosch gws battery grinder at he, which I feel is still the best cordless grinder I've used in all the years I've had it.

I do however hear the new makita brushless grinders are much much better.
>>
File: IMG_20160720_054101551.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160720_054101551.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>1025398
>>1025407

My spelling is quite bad in that last post. New phone. Anyway pic related is mine. It's 2012 dated.
>>
>>1025410
Thanks, bud.
>>
>>1025398
thanks for advice, I posted here yesterday >>1025186 and I found vinegar to be pretty good. hope this helps someone
>>
>>1024854
Anon, I have thick facial hair and single or double bladed disposable razors work well. Get the store brand, put hot water and shaving cream on your face then shave with smooth strokes. Alternatively you can get a safety razor holder. Never done that.
>>
I have a fixture that says 40 watt type a or 13 watt cfl. Why? Isn't a 40 watt cfl cooler than a 40 watt incandescent?

Is it like the ballast can overheat so cfls run cooler, but can overheat and break easier? Or did the chinese/spanish manufacturer just look at bulbs and say oh a 40 watt type a is equivalent to a 13 watt cfl so put that on there
>>
File: 2016-07-20 20.36.36.jpg (377KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-20 20.36.36.jpg
377KB, 1600x1200px
I pulled out my old fan for the warm weather but it's making this awful rattling noise, took the top off and basically the axle seems to have a bunch of free space back and forth, never really looked at electric motors before so I don't know if that's normal

Anything I could do to stop it from making the noise?
>>
>>1025621
>the axle seems to have a bunch of free space back and forth, never really looked at electric motors before so I don't know if that's normal

Completely normal.

The rattling is most likely dry or clogged bearings. Hair tends to wrap around the pin and lodge itself in the bearings, wicking grease and increasing friction.

It's pretty easy to take a fan motor apart, pull the hair out, and re-grease the bearings, though if you notice wear on the pin, it's best to just buy a new fan.
>>
File: edit.jpg (242KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
edit.jpg
242KB, 1600x1200px
>>1025624
No I'm sure it's the axle, because I can see it hitting the front and back end of the, um, thing whenever it makes the sound

I put a rubber band around both sides of it and it stopped the rattling, but I guess I should just get a new one whenever I can
>>
>>1025626
It's doing that because the bearings aren't turning freely.

I let one person know I can fix fans like that once, and these days it seems like all I do. Get that little shit open, cleaned up, and re-greased and it'll go back to working normally.
>>
>>1020819
That's a neat little bulb. Doesn't look like an LED, what is it?
>>
>>1022873
Sparkfun or Adafruit.
>>
>>1024368
>>1024351
I can also recommend plasti-dip; I live in AZ and it's held up for literal years, so unless wherever you live is hotter and dryer it should be pretty long-lasting. The spray is probably better for you, though, as the liquid is in a thin tube.
>>
File: Mold.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Mold.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
So I'm wanting to get into silicone casting and have a kit coming in the mail soon, but I forgot to get mold release. Is there anything I could have laying around the house that could work as a reasonable substitute? Possibilities I've entertained are cooking spray, WD-40, gun oil (spray or drop), machine oil, and mineral oil. I might have vaseline but am unsure. Would any of these work?
>>
>>1021006
Yeah, I guess that's the problem, I've had similar issues with other laptop PSUs.
>>1021485
Yeah, I think it's the same power brick.
>>1025629
It's a neon bulb, works in the same way neon signs work, but the required voltage is much lower. The vast majority need >90V between leads in order to light up. They're pretty cool, I have some phosphor covered ones that emit a beautiful green light.
>>
>>1025636
>silicone casting -- mold release
don't use oil or grease - use wax, like auto finish wax
You can find spray mold release at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and similar craft stores.
>>
>>1025626
>I can see it hitting the front and back end of the, um, thing whenever it makes the sound
When you take it apart to clean and lube it, put a washer or two on it to take up the slack.
The fan blade will be trying to push it toward the back so put the washer there as a thrust bearing.
Nylon or fiber washer would be ideal.
>>
>>1025592
Umbrella-style safety razors work really well on beards.
>>
>>1025592
cool I'll give them a go. Do they last for a couple shaves at least?

>>1025660
never heard of those!
>>
Is a hot air gun appropriate for either soldering or shaping plastic? (as in, [soldering] or [shaping plastic], not [soldering or shaping] [plastic])

I want to DIY one for exactly those purposes, but I don't want to go bending wires and rigging fans to tubes if it's just going to ruin everything I point it at and then burst into flame itself.
>>
File: 9pzqu.gif (12KB, 376x365px) Image search: [Google]
9pzqu.gif
12KB, 376x365px
Hey, /diy/. I'm trying to seal the edges of my room's door frame from light, because I live with a roommate who is awake through most nights and keeps their very bright lights on. It makes it difficult to sleep. A friend told me I ought to just glue strips of black felt around the interior of the jamb where the door rests while closed, and I happened to actually have a portion of the stuff laying about from a plushie I sewed together as a project years ago. My question is this: What sort of glue should I use such that it will stay put for a reasonably long time? I'd prefer one that roaches don't like to eat, since I know they like some kinds of adhesives and my roommate is also kind of a slob who leaves food waste around their room and singlehandedly keeps our roach problem going and I don't want them coming into my room any more that they already do, since I work very hard to keep it clean.

Bonus: I was going to look for a "door-sweep" for the bottom of the door. Do you think that getting one would meaningfully cut down on light pollution?
>>
>>1025780
>What sort of glue should I use
put it up first with a desk stapler to see if it does what you want
>roaches won't eat staples

>>1025780
>a "door-sweep" for the bottom of the door.
>Do you think that getting one would meaningfully cut down on light pollution?
Lay a piece of fabric down there to check - blanket, folded towel, whatever
>>
>>1025786
Ah, okay! Thanks, anon!
>>
>>1025771
Shaping plastic: yes. Soldering: Not as far as I know.
>>
>>1025866
Okay then...

Honestly, I've never looked into shaping plastic very much. It just hasn't come up in my life, and I'm only mildly curious even now. Is it enough to take a flat sheet of whatever, heat it, and bend it with bare hands or along a form or something? Or will I need more specialized equipment than that?

Truth be told, it's for fursuits and other worn costume items.
>>
>>1025873
oven forming
vacuum forming
>>
>>1025873
>heat it, and bend it with bare hands
>heat it
>bare hands
what could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>1025873
You might want to be careful with how you heat it (and what you heat); you don't want to heat it to such a point where it droops like caramel. The best way to try it out might be to take a piece of scrap and experiment with that.

Soldering irons are cheap, as well. You can find one for $10-15 at Radioshack or any place that sells electronic components.

>>1025885
This, but those require more special equipment (some of which you could make yourself, but is it really worth the hassle?)

Also be careful if you plan to work this plastic near the "fur", as often it's synthetic and will curl/melt into an unusable mass.

>>1025887
To be fair, depends on where you grab it. Some plastics become pliable when they're pleasantly warm and not hot to the touch.
>>
>>1025887
Eh, I've received enough burns cooking to no longer fear heat that much.

>>1025885
>oven forming
what? pls explain
>vacuum forming
requires expensive specialized equipment. No, Thank You

>>1025891
Well, i figured the idea is to heat it until it's soft and then bend it, preferably over a form, not to try to treat it like joining metal plates by just throwing them into a forge and re-casting the shit. Any bare-handed touching would be at edges, or done with pliers if it's a small piece. I'm not afraid of heat, but I'm not completely stupid.

Any fur shit I plan to do will be sewn first and put over a form, ideally; not fused on or anything. Also the stuff I'm into calls for more smooth surfaces than fur anyway. Being able to form plastic seems like it'd be useful for other things, too, but the most immediate application I see is costumery.

>Soldering irons are cheap, as well.
True, but I've gone through two different 10$-15$ models. They're just unreliable below a certain price point that I'm just not willing to pay for something so simple. I also feel like a hot air gun would be both more fun to use, and more suited to the kind of soldering jobs I do (usually just joining wires)
>>
>>1025905
>requires expensive specialized equipment. No, Thank You
a table with holes in it
a shop vac
specialized equipment

>>1025905
>>oven forming
>what? pls explain
it requires specialized equipment - you wouldn't be interested
>>
>>1025914
>a table with holes in it
>a shop vac
pretty sure even a shop vac doesn't have that kind of suction and even if it did, any scavenger tier seals I could put on the setup would blow long before it made any kind of rigid plastic buckle at all

and I'm not willing to buy a shop vac in the first place
>>
>>1025918
>pretty sure even a shop vac doesn't have that kind of suction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiQnqaiOPhQ
>>
>>1025918
>rigid plastic
You use thin plastic sheeting, like the kind you find on those cardboard packages with vacuum-sealed products.
>>
File: drivel.jpg (34KB, 461x439px) Image search: [Google]
drivel.jpg
34KB, 461x439px
>>1025921
>doesnt show it in action
[X] DOUBT

and I'm not willing to buy a shop vac in the first place
>>
>>1025923
You're right anon. You should do it your way.
>>
>>1025929
look man I'm really poor ok
>>
Do these kinds of circuit breakers switches have a right way up? One of the ones in my breaker box is upside down so that on is at the bottom, the rest are all the right way up with on at the top.

Is that going to cause a problem or can I just leave it for now? I will switch it around to be the right side up next time I am the only one home so that I can turn off mains before I do it.
>>
>>1026047
It makes no difference, those ones are just plug in replacements for the old fuses. Just unplug it and turn it around.
>>
>>1026052
Cool, just wanted to make sure it would not cause any problems if I left it like that until I could get around to it.
>>
So I want to build myself a bed with a burnt wood finish on a lot of the surfaces. I've found the material and made some tests, buring it with a propane torch, oiling with linseed oil and then polishing off the loose charred wood with a clean rag. The finish is nice, however some charcoal still rubs off. I thought I'd seal it with some kind of lacquer. Would polyurethane work?

Tl;dr: How do i seal charred wood?
>>
File: Burnt wood.png (415KB, 728x538px) Image search: [Google]
Burnt wood.png
415KB, 728x538px
>>1026065
pic related is the finish I'm looking for
>>
File: wtf.png (1KB, 45x46px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
1KB, 45x46px
>>1016231
what the fuck is this circuit symbol
>>
File: b37.jpg (70KB, 600x941px) Image search: [Google]
b37.jpg
70KB, 600x941px
Hey fellas, if I have around 70 boxes of tile sitting outside in the backyard and they get rained on, should I be worried? Google is only turning up unrelated results.
>>
>>1026065
Poly is the usual for such things, and you can get matte or gloss. Test on some scrap wood to get a feel for the process.
>>
>>1026095
What type of tile?

Ceramic I think would be OK but you should still put a tarp over it...

Vinyl would be bad.
>>
>>1026095
Ceramic tile won't be bothered even after many years, but any cardboard box will fall apart.
>>
>>1026099
The tile is white body and I did lay some black plastic bags over it, but they're stacked 2 boxes high and leaning against the wall, and the ones on the bottom are getting soaked. Im worried they're going to start breaking because it rains here all the damn time.
>>
File: Untitled 1.jpg (77KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 1.jpg
77KB, 800x600px
I want to build this here frome pine wood.

I don't really know how though.

how would you build this thing `?
>>
>>1026113

preferably without using a lathe
>>
>>1026085
Looks like a MOSFET with the body diode shown.
>>
File: Potters-Wheels.jpg (12KB, 281x251px) Image search: [Google]
Potters-Wheels.jpg
12KB, 281x251px
>>1026113
Probably using a la-
>>1026114
???
Okay, fine, pic related then
>>
Does anyone know of anyone who sells cat6 connectors that are shielded with metal tabs? All I can find on Amazon are shielded with plastic tabs
>>
where is a legit and reasonably priced place to buy personal checks? Bank seems to overcharge for these and I'd like some personalized ones (my own image)
>>
>>1026191
Do you mean metal shielded Cat 6 connectors?

Try that search string on Google with "prices" which narrows it down to (mostly) sellers.
Example hit:

http://www.cableorganizer.com/platinum-tools/shielded-ez-rj45.html?gclid=CLrb59HKhc4CFc1bhgodKTIKZA&gcssku=PL-100020&ef_id=V4hYSQAABMmy6sce:20160721221609:s

For small numbers of anything always check Ebay.
>>
File: 1313239386121.png (57KB, 246x243px) Image search: [Google]
1313239386121.png
57KB, 246x243px
Hey, /diy/. How would I go about rigging up a better, more durable electric toothbrush head which requires less replacement?

It occurred to me that they seem to be a racket of sorts; necessitating a repeated purchase in order to keep a device working as intended, and are probably designed with failure in mind.
>>
I have used a drill as a lathe using files as tools. You could bore a hole through it then put a bolt through to spin it.
>>
File: 1452449685313.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1452449685313.gif
2MB, 480x270px
I have an old ipod nano 2gen, is there anything I can do with it?
>>
File: 0721161300a~2.jpg (2MB, 2988x4681px) Image search: [Google]
0721161300a~2.jpg
2MB, 2988x4681px
I fucked up the bottom of a pot, it sat in my sink on top of a fork or something. Is there any way to fix this? I have a flat top that would scratch really bad if I used this pot as-is, could I possibly file it down?
>>
>>1026335
Remove what you can by hand / with a flat tool, then file down the rest with some probably 150+ sandpaper.

Looks like your pans are tin and your forks are carbide, though, seriously.
>>
>>1026274
you can put it in a bin and then put the bin on the curb, in a day or so the useless item will disappear. like magic.
>>
>>1019226
what? all i see is brickwork.
>>
>>1026226
yes these, but with metal tabs as well instead of plastic. ive had a cable or two long ago with metal tabs and i want more.
>>
File: 1468777177528.jpg (9KB, 207x204px) Image search: [Google]
1468777177528.jpg
9KB, 207x204px
What are my options for engraving plastics?

>Engraving tool
I don't have steady enough hands to make it look good

>CNC laser engraver
Too expensive

>Letter punch
It's a plastic shell and would probably break it

>Heating up letter punches
It'd work but ruin the punches for anything harder
>>
>>1026390
>engraving plastics
CNC setup
Laser engraving
Heated wire/stamps

Seriously, that's pretty much your only options. Go find a local laser engraver or CNC machine and rent it/ask them nicely.
>>
>>1026169
seems plausible, thanks, Im going to go with that.
>>
>>1025398
>Foundation is the most important thing to look at, in my humble opinion. Rafters come in a close second.
Anything to look out for or would I need a professional to come check?
I know that someone who had a look at the deck said that it needed to be replaced completely, supports and all. Leaves me not too hopeful about the rest of the place.
>>
>>1016231
>>1016231
whatever happened to the "i need three tonnes of imitation crab meat" guy from a few years back?
>>
File: woodworking.jpg (702KB, 1500x952px) Image search: [Google]
woodworking.jpg
702KB, 1500x952px
I want to get into woodworking as a hobby.

My first practise project is going to be a small table only ~40cm tall to put my pc on.
I eventually want to move onto making a full desk complete with drawers and stuff.

Does anybody know of a good woodworking 'starter guide' and a list of starter tools?
(I already have some basic stuff like a saw, various wood files, chisel, etc)
>>
>>1026563
http://woodgears.ca/beginner/index.html

Have a read of that sunshine
>>
>>1019226
I think he means the sodium deposits on the face of the bricks.
It is just the salts inside the bricks coming to the surface when the bricks get wet and then dry.
If you want it gone get it quick with a wire brush, it's a real pain to shift when it builds up
>>
>>1026238
Unless you feel like using metal brushes, you're going to have to replace the heads every couple of months. Your teeth are harder than the plastic brushes, so they're going to get worn down.
>>
Is it foolish to plan on using transformers from aliexpress for the cores in a MOT welder project"

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FREE-SHIPPING-1PCS-AC-220V-to-11V-7V-140mA-180mA-7-pin-Microwave-Oven-Power-Transformer/32411682701.html
>>
>>1026713

...that's not even close to the size of the HV transformer
>>
>>1026713
That isn't a MOT; it's a power transformer (for low-voltage devices such as the lamps, fan, control board, etc). The term "microwave oven transformer" (MOT) refers to the transformer used to power the magnetron.

Typical output voltage for a MOT is ~2 kV.

The main reason for using MOT cores for welders is that the core has a small non-permeable shim to create leakage inductance, effectively turning a portion of each winding into a non-coupled inductor (choke). The effect of this is to limit the short-circuit current, which is fairly important for a welder.
>>
I've been working a lot with MDF this last week, finished up today but i suddenly got a really sore throat, runny nose and a pretty sizable rash on one of my arms (that went away fairly quickly though). I didn't use a respirator because I'm dumb as fuck.
Am I gonna die?
>>
>>1026730
>The main reason for using MOT cores for welders is that the core has a small non-permeable shim
Another reason is the primary winding is relatively large gauge wire able to handle several amps on the input side. (>10A)
With a few turns of very large wire as the secondary, hundreds of amps can be seen on the secondary side for a short time.
>>
>>1026765
>Am I gonna die?
We're all gonna die. You're just gonna die sooner...
>>
>>1026730
>>1026770
pretty sure the main reason they get used is that they're cheap, plentiful, and fairly easy to take out of scrapped microwaves... probably the largest transformer your likely to run into on a daily basis.... well for normies at least..

all the rest is just a happy accident...
>>
I've got an old alarm clock. Not OLD old, it's digital and all that, even does the day/date for 2016. Anyhow, the display is a little bit off. One of the bars in one digit is completely out, and one of the adjacent ones is brighter than it ought to be.

Is there some way I can fix this? I'm pretty comfortable soldering.
>>
>>1026765
I was like you, scared. I still haven't purchased a respirator because, desu, I still can't figure out which kind to get. they're complicated
>>
>>1026793
throw it out, buy a new one. $5 is cheaper than your time, js
>>
>>1026796
I spose. Although, my time isn't really worth much if anything, and the entire thing still works fine.
>>
>>1026797
true. it's probably doable. Problem with buying a new one is, like most everything nowadays, it's chinese garbage that won't last long at all
>>
>>1026798
I looked on amazon, they don't make it easy to look for an alarm clock. It's not hard, but even when you try and filter out the travel shit and whatnot, they have parts listed which i thought was bizarre.
>>
>>1026795
>can't figure out which kind to get
Are you at least using a dust mask?
>>
>>1026721
>>1026730
>>1026770
>>1026772

Damnit, I didn't even read the specs.
>>
>>1026795
>>1026765
Buy a cheapo respirator (5/pack or however many) at your local Home Depot or something. Uncomfortable, but better than nothing.
>>
>>1016231
machinist student here. I'm looking into buying a CNC laser for engraving metal. What are my options? I've seen some engravers for pretty cheap on ebay, but they're not powerful enough to etch metal. How much laser do I need?
>>
>>1026921
>machinist student here
You should ask your instructor.
>>
>>1026770
You'd find a similar primary on any transformer of the same power (VA) rating. Admittedly, there aren't many other modern appliances using >1kVA transformers; SMPSes have replaced them.

But welders based upon rewound MOTs are actually relying upon the leakage inductance. Simply replacing the MOT with a normal transformer of the same size would result in burned-out windings. You'd need to add a separate ballast, and it would need to be capable of handling the welder's secondary current.
>>
I'm looking to get a decent air compressor for various things. Particularly filling tires but I'm sure I'll have other uses for it. Budget is about $400. I checked out Harbor Freight but don't want to buy garbage, and also went to Lowes where they have their Kobalt brand, which looked OK.

Just want opinions or recommendations on what is a good brand or what to look for. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1026997
Check SPECIFIC reviews for any MODEL, not just brand, you consider.

What's good changed often.

Some Kobalts have weak reed valves but they sell replacements and you won't be using yours that hard. Having a store nearby for any warranty return etc is handy.
>>
Building a computer table and I'm installing a false backboard with a space behind where cables and stuff can be routed.

I want to have some cables (phone charger, mouse/kb cables, etc) that retract into the desk when not in use.
I have a few ideas on how to do it but I'm wondering how you guys would go about it, maybe you know a better way.
>>
File: W13_also.234113243_std.jpg (53KB, 720x346px) Image search: [Google]
W13_also.234113243_std.jpg
53KB, 720x346px
I just bought a tall shell for my tiny truck. Its 20" higher than the cab. It is straight up like the picture, and is a pain to drive with my little Toyota.

I'm looking to build a wind deflector/small cabover, depending on what would be best and what I can accomplish with my nonexistent building skills. The main motivation is too make it more aerodynamic, but if I can create more storage while I'm at it then even better.

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction for someone with no experience with this sort of stuff. I've been searching but most of the stuff is too advanced, not exactly what I'm looking for, or not well explained. If there's a very basic place to start with this general kind of stuff that would be great too. Anything helps.

Hopefully this isn't an asshole request, I don't spend much time in this board. I'm on my phone or I'd post a better picture that explains it more. It looks like the picture, just taller but the same completely un-areodynamic design.

Thanks for any suggestions
>>
>>1027303
From your description of your skill level, this is probably not a good project for you to do alone.
Whatever you put up there for aerodynamics will have to withstand winds of at least the speed you drive. If you're driving into a headwind it's the combined speeds of the vehicle and the headwind.
When it comes off you'll be responsible for any damage it does to other people or property.
>>
What are the type of engine Colin Furze uses in his hovercraft? I think I'd like to make my own
>>
>>1027323

Yeah, that's really my main concern, that I do it poorly and it flies off. I'll talk to/get help from others with experience,and wouldn't complete it without someone else checking it out. But for now I guess I'm just hoping to get some resources/reading to get a start. Thanks
>>
>>1025548
It's me again. vinegar seems not to be a solution, I was trying with an old carabiner and it know corrodes pretty easy.
I'll look upon how to make the electrolisys >>1025398
suggested
>>
File: sketch1469423590457.png (155KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
sketch1469423590457.png
155KB, 720x1280px
So I'm trying to reduce my power bill by reducing the run time of my ac unit. It's an old heat pump, probably 15 years old.

The way I'm gonna do this is pretty simple, I'm gonna close all the vents and seal off all the rooms that don't need to be climate controlled 24/7.
Basically, the return is in the hallway and there are outputs in every room in the ceiling. I'm just going to close off the den and living room door and close all the vents on that side of the house.
This means that there will be 4 vents total In the bath rooms and bedrooms open and the return and thermostat which are both In the hallway that connects the bedrooms and bathrooms together. The rest of the house will be completely sealed off from the bedrooms and hallway since you have to go through the den or living room to get there. This will reduce the total cooling space down to a third total square feet at least, probably more like a fourth or fifth.

So my question is, is this a good idea? Will it work?

Pic related is the half of my house in question, red spots are sealed doors.
>>
dropping an ethernet cable from my house's 2nd fl to the basement

what are good weatherproof covers anyone has made here??

don't really want to use pvc as my house is yellow and the gf would throw a fit. told her i'd paint it yellow but still..
>>
>>1028119
Use yellow outdoor rated cable.

No cover needed.
>>
File: DSC_8976.jpg (1011KB, 1500x996px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8976.jpg
1011KB, 1500x996px
Anyone here versed in the repair of projectors?
Bought this dirty slut here for cheap.
The problem is that it shuts down after exactly 5 minutes of use.
Doens't seem to be a lamp problem as the lamp is brand new.
The fans are spinning, blowing as they should.
I suspect software/board failure.
Any help appreciated.
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 72

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.