[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to check what is taking electricity in my house? Last months

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1416066109127.jpg (69KB, 531x664px) Image search: [Google]
1416066109127.jpg
69KB, 531x664px
How to check what is taking electricity in my house?

Last months electricity bill showed that I used 1300 kWh in my apartment.

I have a fridge that is medium sized, a small boiler that takes 1.5kW and also a computer and electric oven.

If I calculate say my boiler's usage, I would guess that it probably works 6 hours a day in the worst case scenario. That would be 9kWh per day and 270 per month. The fridge is a bit old and has no energy markings on it expect that it is "class A". But I imagine it should take less than the boiler.
Other appliances get turned on rarely, only in case of need.

So my question is, would anyone have an idea how to prove how much I am actually using. Because according to my knowledge I should not be spending that much kWh a month. My bills are ridiculous for such a small apartment.
>>
>>1007493
Are you sure no one is stealing your electricity?
Take a look around, I've seen this happening before.
>>
>>1007494
Will look again over all the cables but so far it does not seem like that. But are there devices in existence that I could use to prove how much I use my self actually? Like putting some device in middle of boiler and socket to see how much it takes.
>>
>>1007495
I think you mean one of these things, right?
goo _dot_ gl (slash) xB6JZL
>>
>>1007501
Also, this is not fucking spam, I was just trying to be helpful to a fellow /diy/nosaur, not shilling about anything. Come on!
>>
>>1007501
>goo _dot_ gl (slash) xB6JZL
Will look for it next time I go to shop
>>
1300 kWh for even an average size apt. is a shitload - if no AC? and you havent changed anything in boiler/heating program?, would only leave fridge.

Get a kill-a-watt, or usage meter, as suggested - problem with fridges, you need to measure the use over a period of hours, better 24hr. They (should..) switch off and on as needed by temperature control, but if thermostat fucked, they can run more or less permanently. Once bought a big ole American style double door full height fridge 2nd hand, because cheap. That proved to be fucked, and a fucking expensive mistake, 2 months later till the bills came, and I even noticed.

If fridge Ok tho, and boiler nothing changed, and blling is "significantly" higher than normal usage, can request a meter change/measurement or whatever - 98% meters never the problem, but, when its nothing else, its that.
>>
>>1007514
Thanks for input. Sad that checking these things takes so much time. But I will go fetch some measuring tools right away
>>
Is this the first month that it is that high, its been this high for months and you're just realizing it's a high amount, or did you just move in and got the first bill?
>>
Presuming you have access to your main breaker board, the first thing I'd do is trip all the RCDs and watch the meter.

If there is still electricity being used then it's been intercepted.

The next thing I'd do is use a clamp meter on each of the send out from each RCD and work out your total usage.

From that narrow down what appliances are running from which RCD.
>>
>>1007493
How old is the fridge? I had an old fridge that was starting to draw a lot of power just before it failed.
>>
>>1007493
Hey OP you faggot report back or your mom and I will get a divorce and stop loving you.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.