[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a robot toy that I never threw away. Now I want to salvage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: 20160605_125218.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20160605_125218.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
I have a robot toy that I never threw away. Now I want to salvage it for the electronics inside and the motors in his limbs but I have no idea what these electronics are and if they are worth salvaging. What are these? Also will post more if you want me to.
>>
>>1003984
those are all basic parts. If you have a multimeter you can test if a lot of those are good. The transistors will be a bit hard to use without datasheets but you can test the values of those too (although that would require a little knowledge of electronics and building circuits)
>>
>>1003984
google
how to identify electronic components
>>
Capacitors, resistors, transistors, and a potentiometer. nothing there is worth over $2 so up to you if its worth your time.
>>
I'd say yes.

If you want to get into electronics you'll have to learn how to solder and unsolder stuff eventually.

The components arn't worth much, but it's still handy to have some for playing around.
Use this PCB to learn how to unsolder shit, even if you toss out the components.
>>
>>1003995

This.

Soldering neatly takes practice and doing it on throwaway components is ideal.

Practice desoldering and resoldering until you can get a neat joint that doesn't crack and isn't a mountain of solder.

Then, if any of the components still work they can be used in future projects. If not it's no loss, at least you'll have gained the ability to solder.

It's worth noting some components are heat sensitive and almost all are sensitive to the static electricity you generate, so earth yourself periodically.

Although the static has virtually no amperage, the volts can be in the millions.
>>
Guys, when I meant "worth" I didn't mean money. I meant can these be used for future electronics projects since I might not be able to get my hands on too many stuff. Are they worth keeping around to be used again?
>>
>>1004002
Also since the robot works with a remote controller isn't there supposed to be a transmitter/receiver stuff that I can use in the future?
>>
>>1004005
In that case it probably makes more sense to keep it as is.
>>
>>1004007
Do you mean I shouldn't touch it?
Also I got a motor out, not sure what kind and stuff but I am pretty sure that it's a motor. Can I test it with a multimeter? I think I'll just attach it to a battery to see what will happen.
>>
File: 20160605_155032.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20160605_155032.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>1004007
Ripped out the black wire by accident but I will reattach it with some tape.
>>
>>1004009
Yes. As it is now, you more or less know what it does and what the wires are.
If you disassemble it, you'll get just a small pile of the cheapest Chinese discrete components (worth $1 or something) and some random Chinese radio module you have no documentation for.

Well, you could try to find out what the main board components do and deduce the pinout of the radio module (the PCB with a trimmer) that way, if you want to.
>>
>>1004014
I think I will stop taking apart these since I think I have most of the base out anyways and go for a project. I need a fan because it is hot so I got some batteries and the motor and it worked great but will it be stronger it I add more batteries? Also I am working on making the blades but the motor isn't really stable. It shakes too much and vibrates instead of turning full power. I have to find a solution for that.
>>
>>1004022
Just figured that the reason it shaked so much was the focused centrifugal force since there was one blade. with 3 more added they should cancel each other out.
>>
>>1003984

the black round things with one flat side are transistors. very useful to have lying around, and relatively valuable in that form. (~20-50c. each)

the round silver things with the black shrinkwrap and the gray pain what say 47uF are electrolytic polar capacitors. also very useful, but not very valuable. (~8c. each)

the blue and white thing is called a trimmer potentiometer. EXTREMELY useful and versatile, and relatively valuable (~20-50c.)

the brown things with the colored belts are called resistors. very cheap (~8c. each), but very useful to have a variety lying around. the one on the bottom left for example is a 330 ohm resistor. with this, you can hook up an LED to a 5v power supply.
>>
>>1004024
Thank you very much I needed that. I will probably keep those around and take them out one by one as I need them. Can you go over what each of them do since I am not a native english speaker so looking them up on google wasn't very helpful.
>>
>>1004032

what language?
>>
>>1004037
I am Turkish but if you explain it simply without too many technical words I can understand it in english
>>
>>1004048

transistors are like switches. you have two leads through which current can flow if you apply a current through the third

capacitors are like tiny batteries. you can use capacitors to keep a transistor switch "on" even when you remove the power from the "on" lead

a trimmer potentiometer is a resistor the value of which you can change with a screwdriver. wih the trimmer you can change how fast or slow a capacitor discharges, for example, determining how long the transistor stays "on" after you've removed the signal when coupled with a capacitor.

resistors in general reduce the amount of current that can flow through a circuit. they prevent things from overheating or discharging too fast.
>>
>>1004051
Thank you man that was great. How do you load capacitors in the first place though? Do you just run a current through and they load?
>>
File: Capcharge.gif (2KB, 385x165px) Image search: [Google]
Capcharge.gif
2KB, 385x165px
>>1004052

exactly.
>>
>>1004024
>relatively valuable in that form. (~20-50c. each)
You're comparing them to something relatively nice, when they're Chinaman specials in reality. Used Chinaman specials.
The Chinese on eBay will sell you 100 general purpose TO92 transistors for a dollar or two. You can also get assortments of several hundred transistors in a nice case for less than $10.

>>1004048
Check the English Wikipedia for "transistor", "capacitor", "potentiometer" and "resistor". Then select the Turkish version of the page from the list on the left.
>>
>>1004052

if you wanna learn more about circuits and get a feel for the components I suggest you play around with a simulator such as http://everycircuit.com/app.
>>
>>1004055
>You're comparing them to something relatively nice, when they're Chinaman specials in reality.

you got me. at this point I have to admit that I'm not much of a transistor guy, and more of a power mosfet /op-amp guy, so I don't really know the prices. but if that thing drives the motors then I certainly could imagine them being higher grade trannies. I dunno.
>>
File: 20160605_183829.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20160605_183829.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>1004053
I made a simple fan during this talk. How do you think I could improve the air flow? I could use higher Voltage batteries I know that but do you think that using stiffer materials with a better aerodynamic shape could improve it much further or do you think that it won't help much if I don't supply bigger batteries?
>>
>>1004056
I visited the site and I like it. I will definitely go back and study on that site.
>>
>>1004048
If you're interested in electronics, try some books about it.
http://www.darwine.nl/~erwin/Electronics_for_Dummies.pdf
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.