[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did WW2-era audiences favor Donald over Mickey? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: donald.jpg (213KB, 720x525px) Image search: [Google]
donald.jpg
213KB, 720x525px
Why did WW2-era audiences favor Donald over Mickey? I've noticed that the more quaint style of animated shorts had fallen out of fashion by early 1940's at most. Do you agree that the heavier action/comedy style is better?
>>
Everyone prefers Donald over Mickey.
>>
>>95372928

This Mickey only exists as an emblem other than that he has no personality like Donald or goofy.
>>
everyone prefers The Donald
>>
People probably preferred slapstick a lot, and Donald's main schtick was that he was the designated slapstick character.
>>
>>95372928
>>95372950
>>95372984
t. classic short brainlets
>>
>>95372921

1. Donald wasn't the face of Disney like Mickey was so they were able to do more/less savory things with him
2. Him being a sailor made most of the WW2 stuff fit his character more
>>
Most people prefer Donald anyway, at least after Mickey became the Face of the Company and was forced to become a boring blank slate compared to Donald and Goofy.

Mickey has only been more entertaining in those recent shorts again because they dial up his traits up to 11 and allow him to be occasionally more selfish and mean again.
>>
>>95372921
Donald is the superior choice.
>>
He's in the navy during the largest naval war in human history.
>>
File: mickey molesting minnie.png (180KB, 733x444px) Image search: [Google]
mickey molesting minnie.png
180KB, 733x444px
>>95372950
It's weird because in firsts shorts Mickey is rad

I don't understand why they washed down him
>>
>>95373311
Mickey was rad in all the 20-30's short. People ITT don't know what they're talking about.
>>
Those recent shorts portraying Mickey as a goof everyman are pretty cool.
>>
>>95373363
people mostly remember late 40's and 50's Mickey where Mickey was really lame
>>
>>95372921
It was war. Mickey is a nice, stand-up guy. Donald is pissed and fucks people up. One of those attitudes won the war.
>>
File: Donald cuck.jpg (127KB, 720x525px) Image search: [Google]
Donald cuck.jpg
127KB, 720x525px
>>95372921
People identify more with Donald
>>
>>95372921
I think Disney didn't want to use their flagship character for something as nightmarish as WWII. They opted to use Donald because he was at the time not as emblematic, but still famous and well-liked.
>>
Can we bring back asshole Donald if there is a WW3?
>>
>>95373481
Sheesh, Daisy.
>>
File: mickey-symphony hour.png (579KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
mickey-symphony hour.png
579KB, 768x576px
>>95373452

They were just starting to make Mickey more interesting again (example from Symphony Hour, 1942) when the Disney strike hit and the people making Mickey more interesting were among those who left
>>
>>95373227

This.
>>
File: PreviewScreenSnapz730.jpg (516KB, 2384x538px) Image search: [Google]
PreviewScreenSnapz730.jpg
516KB, 2384x538px
>>95373452
>>95373487

Mickey was fighting the war in the COMICS, which Disney was producing in the same period. Donald wasn't.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.