[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only one who can't stand "woe-is-me"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: mr-freeze-animated.jpg (81KB, 640x492px) Image search: [Google]
mr-freeze-animated.jpg
81KB, 640x492px
Am I the only one who can't stand "woe-is-me" sympathetic bad guys? Seriously, what happened to bad guys or villains who do what they do because they are genuinely awful people who get superpowers or some other kind of opportunity to do whatever they want?

It's like there's an unwritten, mandatory law that says they absolutely need a sad backstory or "woe is me" motivation for what they do. Most of the time, it's something cliche, like "I robs bank to save the orphanage!," "I kill people and take their money because his puppy has cancer!" or "daddy hit me when I was a kid!" Villains are never allowed to do horrible things because they are greedy, mentally unstable, corrupt, weren't disciplined as children or are just sadistic, which is usually the case IRL.

I blame BTAS Mr Freeze and Spider-Man 3 Sandman for starting this trend. Sure, I can get behind good people forced to do bad things out of shitty circumstances, even better when they are saved. But not for every single bad guy ever. In fact, this is so overrated, it makes me WANT criminals, murderers, rapists, thieves, businessmen and officials to be two-dimensional: especially since that's how they usually are in real life! It actually makes me love people like Norman Osborn or General Zod- they do what they do because they're dicks, not because they need a hug.

Hell, maybe the heroes could HELP find a cure for Mr Freeze's wife or Clayface. Maybe the Avengers or whatever could lend money to the Sandman to get the operation for his daughter, or, shit, what if they paid him to join the Avengers and make him work by taking down bad guys?

Please, someone tell me I'm not alone.
>>
>>95356191
That's a nice tldr
>>
>>95356191
>But not for every single bad guy ever.

Hyperbole doesn't suit you.
>>
>>95356191
People find more interesting villains with actual motives than just assholes
>>
>>95356191
>Why can't antagonists be flat one dimensional characters who only exist to make the protagonists better? They shouldn't be fleshed out 3 dimensional characters with their own back stories or tragic reasons why they're bad guys
>>
>>95356191
Lucky for you both kinds exist.
>>
>>95356191
>Hell, maybe the heroes could HELP find a cure for Mr Freeze's wife or Clayface. Maybe the Avengers or whatever could lend money to the Sandman to get the operation for his daughter, or, shit, what if they paid him to join the Avengers and make him work by taking down bad guys?
Literally all of those things have happened.
>>
File: Hey_Arnold.jpg (40KB, 603x400px) Image search: [Google]
Hey_Arnold.jpg
40KB, 603x400px
>>95356191
Humans are pattern loving creatures. Most people that are complete cunts fit into a pattern of having some terrible thing in their past to justify their development that way. It makes them far more rounded and interesting as characters, and it makes contests between them and the other characters more engaging to watch since you're invested in all of them.
>>
File: Mr._Freeze_(The_Batman).jpg (53KB, 353x844px) Image search: [Google]
Mr._Freeze_(The_Batman).jpg
53KB, 353x844px
>>95356191
This is one of the major reasons (other than the design and voice) why The Batman's Mr. Freeze was much better.
>>
I used to think like you OP, but there are exceptions to every rule. I agree that sympathetic/tragic backstories get really grating because most of them are really poorly executed, especially in anime where UNDERSTANDING is more of a standard trope.

I think though, you'll eventually find writers who can write asshole-ish characters with tragic or sympathetic elements, who aren't up their own asses and can still take a more removed, objective look at their characters. Go read Hamlet or Henry V, this tradition goes way beyond silly comic book villains.
>>
>>95356191
I judge characters on a case by case basis taking more factors into account than "this is cliche unoriginal" or "this trope is too popular."
>>
>>95356704
This guy gets it.
>>
>>95356191
>Hell, maybe the heroes could HELP find a cure for Clayface

THAT'S LITERALLY HAPPENING RIGHT NOW IN COMICS
>>
>>95356612
No, he was shit!
>>
>>95356960
No, your opinion is shit.
>>
>>95356191
I know you are OP, but still, canĀ“t you be less of a gigantic faggot?
>>
Has there ever been a better use of that trope than this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9OhykhqC2Q
>>
>>95356612
His design was interesting, but his personality was eeh.

At least he wasn't as bad as the "insane dude" reboot of mr.freeze and the suit batman made to fight him was badass.
>>
>>95356986
No, The Batman in general is shit.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.