[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember when they had to say "magic is just science"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: Thor_poster.jpg (123KB, 259x384px) Image search: [Google]
Thor_poster.jpg
123KB, 259x384px
Remember when they had to say "magic is just science" because they wanted to play it safe and they were afraid the audience couldn't grasp the concept of magic existing in the world of The Hulk and Iron Man?

And now everybody is shooting magic out of their ass left and right

The "magic is science" crap looks pathetic in retrospect
>>
>>95336783
>And now everybody is shooting magic out of their ass left and right
Nobody is doing that. What are you even referring to?
>>
>>95336815

Scarlet Witch, Mister Doctor (and everyone in his movie), people using Infinity Stones, Star-Lord becoming Pac-Man, etc
>>
File: 1460492655973.jpg (2MB, 976x4435px) Image search: [Google]
1460492655973.jpg
2MB, 976x4435px
>people still think magic and science have ever been different things in Marvel
>>
>>95336967
Infinity Stones are science magic, Wanda's powers are from science shit, and I didn't watch GotG but I'm pretty sure that's science magic shit too.

Strange is the first and only explicitly magic magic in the MCU, as they even said in interviews leading up to the movie.

>>95336996
They've always been linked because of Kirby's belief in ancient aliens and other awesome pseudo-science, but the difference is that Kirby understood that the phrase "any sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic" is a way of explaining why magic doesn't look like science, not the other way around. The MCU tries to make magic look as science-y as possible.
>>
File: 1457070376181.jpg (552KB, 1061x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1457070376181.jpg
552KB, 1061x1500px
>>95337061
>magic doesn't look like science
You need to take another look at Kirby's Thor. Asgard is full of spaceships, rayguns, and machines that look like they were lifted straight off the Enterprise.
>>
>>95337251
Yeah, I'll admit that's something I've been thinking about as I happen to be re-reading Kirby's Thor lately, because I always say how much I hate the MCU's "it's magic but not really" shit yet I love Kirby's Thor and New Gods designs.

So you're right and it's not a fair criticism but I'm not sure how to verbalize what it is that's so unappealing about Thor 1 and 2's technology but so awesome about Kirby's designs.
>>
They're basically going with the concept that sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE from magic.
Not like it's even real it's all sci-fi/fantasy.
Are you just supremely assmad over wordgames?
Whether they call it magic or science, can you or anyone else do any of the crazy shit they do? We barely have something close to a functioning Iron-Man suit.
https://youtu.be/w2PuYXQ--4Q
>>
>>95336783
>The "magic is science" crap looks pathetic in retrospect
Doug Ramsey and Egon Spengler think you're a faggot
>>
>>95336783
>they wanted to play it safe and they were afraid the audience couldn't grasp the concept of magic existing in the world of The Hulk and Iron Man?

That's retarded as hell, and in no way the reason why they did it. If that's the case why are they doing the Infinity Gems? or whats scientific about a giant living planet that's also a god? actual real world science doesn't exist in any of these films. to imply at all that the general audience can understand science but not magic in movies makes no sense. Neither of them are in them, its all just fairly tales basically.
>>
>>95337061
how the fuck are gems that fit into a gauntlet and allow you to throw moons and wipe out whole groups of living things scientific? explain to me how it works, scientifically, then.
>>
>>95337620
>They're basically going with the concept that sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE from magic.
Well, that's my problem with the MCU version, the Asgardian technology doesn't look like magic at all, it just looks like science fiction, stuff that would be less than a hundred years away in our own future. Even if we don't know exactly how it works it looks like something that could make sense with our own understanding of science.

Whereas the original Arthur C. Clarke quote makes sense because if you showed Galileo an iPhone, it would blow his fucking mind because none of the scientific principles that make it possible even exist in his time. MCU Asgard is more like showing an iPhone to someone from 1955, who would be like "oh wow, so it's a computer, but millions of times more powerful and shrunk down to fit in your pocket, and it communicates with some sort of spacecraft?"

Granted, as >>95337251
said, even Kirby's "magic" was like that, but things like Mjolnir and Simonson's version of Asgard are more like what I'm talking about: we know it's actually some sort of advanced technology, but it LOOKS like magic and we couldn't even begin to conceive of how the fuck it works.

>>95338001
Because it's literally shown in GotG that they were brought by the Celestials and that the Celestials were an ultra-advanced spacefaring race of cosmic beings, not magic people from some magic realm. Which is true in the comics as well.
>>
>>95338082
I'm not talking about their origin, I meant their nature. how they work. its not exactly scientific.or at least science as we know it in real life. you can't really call something scientific basis on how it works specifically. saying "well some old alien dudes made em, so that's scientific enough", that's dumb as well, bro.
>>
>>95338273
What we're talking about is the "magic == science we don't understand" angle the MCU takes. The stones are specifically said to be science we don't understand, not magic. "We don't understand" being the key part you're not getting here.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.