[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did KND Start The Story Arc Driven Comedy Cartoons Trend In Cartoons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: KNDLogo.png (66KB, 408x244px) Image search: [Google]
KNDLogo.png
66KB, 408x244px
I hear all the time that the new trend of traditionally comedic cartoons gaining story lines,continuity,world building like star vs, steven universe, regular show(really only the last few seasons), gravity falls, wander over yonder,and MLP:FIM was started by adventure time. I've never watched C:KND but i heard that they're were the first to start this trend. They had there own story arcs and world building,so i just wanted to know did C:KND actually have these things and do you think they started the trend. Also can we make a genre for these types of cartoons like i think comedy-dramas would be a good name.
>>
sources say no
>>
They were among the first to do it, but it didn't start the trend. Adventure Time got the ball rolling on that, which is why the pacing on the world-building in everything sense has taken a similar hands-off approach.

KND was before its time, and paced its world-building in a slightly different way. Like many of these shows, it would start entirely episodic, and then concepts from those episodes were expanded upon over time. There were whole episodes that while plot-driven gave the audience a glimpse into another interesting facet of the setting, and there was an episode or two that basically dumped history or exposition. It teased things later on when it had a better grasp of where it was going, but when it told you something, it laid it right out on the table and made sure the viewer understood it. I like that approach a lot more, personally. There's a lot of very defined rules in the KND setting and a lot of characters that interact with them in unique ways.
>>
>>95334488
>it didn't start the trend. Adventure Time got the ball rolling on that
/thread
>>
KND was really ahead of it's time. I wish more people appreciated it's approach to arc-based storytelling mixed with episodic humor as early as it came out
>>
>>95334783
It was decent at the time, but Gravity Falls did that shit so much better it's not even funny.
>>
>>95334828
Gravity Falls also had a plan from the start. Pretty sure KND's staff didn't really plan for the world-building when the show was greenlit, hence the whole of the first Season basically treating Numbahs 1-5 as the whole of the KND and expanding upon it later. They just happened to come up with some good ideas the further they went.
>>
>>95334828
>Gravity Falls did that shit so much better it's not even funny.

It had a plan. That doesn't necessarily mean it was executed fluently
>>
>>95334885
>>95335194
But I'm talking about the comedic aspects as well. GF's comedy was actually funny for adults, not just kids.
>>
>>95334377
No KND Did Not Invent Anything And This Isn't A Newspaper Article You Fuckwit So Stop With The Title Case
>>
>>95334828
>but Gravity Falls did that shit so much better
It really did not
>>
So honestly serliization for cartoons have been around for ages before KND. However what I feel KND did that you see in a lot of cartoons now is subtle serilization of what is seemingly just a kids cartoon. I mean on the surface something like Transformers/Justice League/Avatar The Last Airbender/Avengers present themselves as these big epic stories with these massive conflicts that will stretch on so you expect various overarching storyline and character shifts. Stuff like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Star vs the Forces of Evil, Gravity Falls among other shows at first glance seem to just be more goofy/silly series just going off a comedic premise to tell joke but have more depth and more story lines hidden underneath you gradually start seeing be peeled away as characters grow and evolve and change over time in a way these kind of simple comedic shows really don't. And honestly that is something that started with KND which never really had super long form arcs in the most traditional sense but it did set up stingers (the delightful children getting the de aging device used to transform Numbah One into an adult episodes before they did so in the season one finale), character twists that would take seasons to pay off (Like with Cree and Chad) and actually have plots created to seemingly tell one story that leads into other story (like the last few episodes of the final season that reveal what Nigel Uno's main purpose in the KND and beyond is going to be) that you would not have assumed just watching the pilot or even the first few episodes of the show. Since yeah though cartoons in one form or another have always had a sense of continuity in the basic world set up and call backs, it was never a feeling of evolution and change.
>>
>>95334377
I say Adventure Time did but KND was ahead of it's time.
>>
>>95334377
Rocky and Bullwinkle is the earliest cartoon I know of to have an ongoing storyline (If you've never watched it, every episode is part of a story arc that varies in length and can be as long 40 segments though each segment is four minutes long. The gimmick was that each segment ended with a cliffhanger) but that certainly wasn't what started the trend either. Like this anon said, >>95334488 Adventure Time was what started making it appear everywhere.

I never watched that much of KND. I know there was a lot of world building in that series but I don't know if they had any kind of ongoing story alongside that or not. I'm sure there's many examples of cartoons from the 90s and 2000s that did the same thing.

And anime. Anime has ongoing stories for god knows how long and they have been influencing western shows more in recent years.
>>
>>95334488
>>95334755
are these anons implying AT came before KND?

also Cartoon Network just wanted to make shows with the appeal of DBZ and other afternoon Toonami shows but none of the masculinity (not to say any anime is overly masculine but that's a different discussion).
>>
KND had all of the elements and was certainly popular, but didn't actually start the trend itself. For whatever reason, it just didn't take off until AT did it. It was certainly ahead of its time in that regard though.
>>
>>95336953
(I actually had to double check it up myself, AT didn't even start until 2 yrs after knd) What I think they're saying is that, while knd had multi-episide story arcs, it didn't actually inspire other series to do the same
Adventure times massive popularity caused a lot of other series to imitate the things people liked about it, including the story arc format. So while it wasn't the first to do it, it was the one to popularize the trend.
>>
>>95337084
Your post kinda shows me the people that post on here. You shouldn't have to look that up. That's pretty recent. Looking up when Cow and Chicken started compared to Ed Edd n Eddy? that's a bit more understandable.

AT and KND, like you said, don't even overlap.

Literally anybody who thinks AT popularized this shit is ignoring the original runs of Toonami. That's the entire reason CN made all these shows. Like I said above they wanted the spirit (the comedy and entertainment, the pacing) of the /a/ on Toonami but without anything that made it specific to boys.
>>
>still no KND comic series

This series has so much lore to exploit, I'm shocked Warburton hasn't made one yet
>>
>>95335561
That's how titles work anon. Literally all titles, it's just grammatically correct.
>>
Wow, I think this thread really was full of literal children who didn't know when and why this shit actually started.

or it's another CN shill trying to drum up some hype on a show before they release it on streaming or for sale of some sort.
>>
Serialization and storyarcs in children's cartoons predate KND by...a while, honestly. Things like X-Men and Spider-Man were doing that in the early 90s (Spider-Man's was fucking ridiculous about multipart story arcs). So was Superman with its New Gods stuff.

Stuff like that falls in and out of favor over time. Adventure Time's probably what really kickstarted it nowadays.
>>
>>95337196
Sorry for not remembering the exact details of a 2 year gap from almost 10 years ago, o mighty gatekeeper of cartoon fandom.
I know they're from different cn eras but I remember they were still airing knd, or at least the movies around the same time. EEnE started with the cartoon cartoons and ended after knd, so it's not like different era toons haven't ever overlapped before.
>>
File: gknd.png (177KB, 841x636px) Image search: [Google]
gknd.png
177KB, 841x636px
>>95337700
>implying CN cares that much about KND
>>
>>95337870
My point it more that everyone here, yourself included, seem to be pretty young. Which is displayed very clearly by the OP's assertion that C:KND was the beginning of this type of show and then backed up by the children who said AT.

Anyone old enough to remember watching cartoon cartoons, or fuck even Scooby on Zombie Island, should still remember the story of CN. But nobody seems to.

Toonami (and adult swim due to it's cheap cost compared to it's ability to literally single handedly create late night cable television as we know it) was massive for them and helped bring them from the little cartoon channel to what they are now (even though they squandered it with shows like AT and SU and the like).

It used to be they worked like the toy companies. Cartoons, especially action and lore dense ones, are for boys. Girls get the pink, gay, fairy shit.

C:KND was one of the cartoons that crossed demographics for CN, something many of their shows did HAD to do after. That's the legacy it should have.

And yes, some of my memory isn't perfect either. But honestly the way I see Cartoon Network talked about around here you would think there are people with the balls to talk about cartoons who haven't seen Space Ghost C2C.
>>
>>95337870
But when did kids next door started, i knew there was no overlap and knd was running for years before adventure time
>>
>>95337700
>or it's another CN shill trying to drum up some hype on a show before they release it on streaming or for sale of some sort.
I wish, maybe then GKND could actually have a chance of happening in our lifetimes
>>
>>95338299
Started in 2002, ended 2008
>>
>>95338060
considering what they're doing with the IPs they DO care about, I'd prefer KND remained ignored, I'd prefer that over having its corpse dug up, slapped with some shit, and paraded around.
>>
I don't think KND would make it into TV again knowing how sensitive the audiences have become over the last decade
>>
>>95337870
>knd came out in 2002
>AT in 2010
>2 year gap

Uh think your math is a bit off
>>
>>95338060
Whatever happened to this?
The creator seemed really excited about it to
>>95339190
True, have you guys seen the small KND random on tumblr? They crazy
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.