[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

From the way things look (are) the market is completely cornered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Publishers-and-others.jpg (109KB, 755x1224px) Image search: [Google]
Publishers-and-others.jpg
109KB, 755x1224px
From the way things look (are) the market is completely cornered by the Big Two while everyone else is left fighting over the scraps. I want to create my own publishing company and felt it would be good to have a few questions answered by people that read comics (Maybe).

So how would a newly created comic publisher survive today /co/?
What would you like to see in a new comic book company?
What do you think could draw more people to one publisher over another?
Would it be better to have a publishing company work completely off of a web platform with the option of paperback printing? or should a company jump right into the fray and compete in a LCS?

Apologies from Yesterday as well, had a few things come up and had to abandon the thread for... Real life stuff sadly. I do appreciate the feedback from yesterday though and I can answer a few of those questions that were posed.
>>
An answer to one Anon:
> What are your current ideas OP, are you working with a fuckton of money or just a dream?

I'm working with no money whatsoever. I just switched from a Art major at my College to Business and have been learning a few things. The biggest is "Never assume to know what customer wants". So I decided to come here.

I was intrigued by the business plan of a company I stumbled upon called Legion M, which was a company funded by fans (As well as some big name investors). They got quite a bit of cash from people that believed that they could have say in what was created (I have no idea if they do or not).

I was wondering, if it worked for the media company: could it work for a comic book publishing company as well.
>>
Another problem I'm having trouble solving is funding artists. Finding them is no big deal, I built myself into a community and I know quite a few that would probably love the chance.

What I'm worried about is really just funding them. I don't want to undersale a artist for their work (Being a artist myself it just seems like betrayal). I'm feeling like taking out a loan to get it started.

Don't need top of the line artists, but I don't want to be out here like a lot of other new publishers with half-assed artists doing the work.
>>
>>95284240
Sorry guys rambling, this isn't what I came here for. Financial matters is a personal problem to be solved. I came here looking for your opinions. What you want to see and all that.
>>
Somebody posted this a few days ago, in a thread about the 90s crash. There's a lot here, and some of it might not be of interest for you, but it deals with two cases you might want to pay attention: Valiant and Image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2KzcSD1pE&list=PLP7v2GoLok37YBm3WBaqvrKd97uSMYDPT&index=2
>>
>>95284148
>>95284190
>>95284240
>>95284265
Fuck off
>>
>Tfw I feel like I'm the only one who genuinely enjoys Valiant stuff but can't talk about it on /co/ because every thread turns into a Faith thread

This is why we can't have nice things. So how about that Harbinger Renegades #5?
>>
>>95285135
That doesn't help me at all
>>
>>95285086
I'm going to look through this man. Thanks, all help and insight is appreciated.
>>
>>95285245
People gravitate to what they don't like Anon, sorry for your plight dude. I haven't read anything from Valiant yet, but I do follow them... gotta know your comp and market. What would you recommend?
>>
>>95285288

Harbinger is what I started with and I grew really attached to Peter and co but ended up really liking Harada a lot. The book goes into a lot of detail about how we should root for Peter when he's basically a walking unstable nuclear bomb and does a lot of questionable shit while Harada has good intentions comes off as a villain in a lot of stories. Britannia is pretty solid and I love the artwork.
>>
>>95285380
I always enjoy new things to collect. I'll check those out then man. Thanks.
>>
bump for insight
>>
>>95285245
>So how about that Harbinger Renegades #5?
Issue was complete dogshit, Palmer was horribly out of character, a bunch of good characters died for shock value alone, made everything that happened on Gen Zero completely meaningless, and then there was the completely out of place Trump joke(?) at the end.
Worst of all that even after all that book remains painfully bland.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.