[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

From the way things look (are) the market is completely cornered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Publishers and others.jpg (101KB, 755x1224px) Image search: [Google]
Publishers and others.jpg
101KB, 755x1224px
From the way things look (are) the market is completely cornered by the Big Two while everyone else is left fighting over the scraps. I want to create my own publishing company and felt it would be good to have a few questions answered by people that read comics (Maybe).

So how would a newly created comic publisher survive today /co/?
What would you like to see in a new comic book company?
What do you think could draw more people to one publisher over another?
Would it be better to have a publishing company work completely off of a web platform with the option of paperback printing? or should a company jump right into the fray and compete in a LCS?
>>
Your image has the DC shoe company logo. If you want to create your own publishing company, you should probably have at least enough awareness of the market to recognize the company logo of the second biggest publisher in the market.
>>
>>95266044
Aftershock was started about a year and a half ago and it's still isn't dead yet
>>
>>95266098
Memory from a few years ago a friend telling me that DC changed their logo and showed me this one. I must have remembered it when I was looking up all of these logos simple mistake. My bad.
>>
>>95266123
But thriving is what I'm looking for you know. Treading water is closer to drowning than I would like to be.
>>
File: 1497289333985.jpg (76KB, 445x492px) Image search: [Google]
1497289333985.jpg
76KB, 445x492px
>>95266044
1- By having different things to offer, different to what marvel and DC have at the moment
2-A little bit more sense of exploration and experimentation (Image does that, though)
3-Having different genres besides the action cape comics
4-I think starting on digital, and releasing special printed editions, kind of how Bandcamp has everything on digital and you can buy the physical copy, or the especial edition colorized vinyl
>>
>>95266044
The only existing thing that keeps a company alive is to put out licensed books. So basically you need entertainment industry connections and a ton of money. You can also put out comics with half naked girls on the cover if you want consistent sales that are just enough to keep you afloat.

If you want to do well with creator owned stuff don't drop any big bucks trying to get big names because big names don't exist and you will fail like Aftershock. Just spend a pittance for unknowns who are doing something unique that you think there's a market for. Spend 90-98% of your budget on marketing, it's easily the most important thing.
>>
Boobs
>>
>>95266044
>So how would a newly created comic publisher survive today /co/?
Aggressive digital publishing and mailed subscription physical copies, fuck the direct market it's a slowly rotting corpse. Also having a huge con presence with great art to draw people into your panels and booth
>What would you like to see in a new comic book company?
Return to single issue story telling and the end of decompression. Every fucking company publishes ongoings that should just be graphic novels or larger volumes. Anthologies would be welcome too.
>What do you think could draw more people to one publisher over another?
You need a genesis. You need a Cerebus to your Aardvark-Vanheim. I think open submissions and a willingness to find artists and pair them with writers could get you a title like that, or even several. You definitely should have your feelers out in the self publishing game and try and court creators there too.
>Would it be better to have a publishing company work completely off of a web platform with the option of paperback printing? or should a company jump right into the fray and compete in a LCS?
As I said, digital with mailed subscription (probably an anthology of all your titles once a month) fuck an LCS
>>
What are your current ideas OP, are you working with a fuckton of money or just a dream?
>>
bumping for your dumb ass OP
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.