[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which superhero have lost/won the most in popularity compared

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: wolverine.jpg (108KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
wolverine.jpg
108KB, 800x600px
Which superhero have lost/won the most in popularity compared to 10 years ago
>>
This is so easy.

Harley Quinn did both.

She just lost popularity from comic book readers but gained worldwide popularity.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>95128823
I'd say GotG are way more popular now.
>>
>>95130849
GotG are goddamn lucky.

Good movies keeping them alive after Bendis ran them into the ground, only thing disappointing outside of comics is a boring reskin of Tower of Terror
>>
>>95128823
Deadpool has won more popularity
>>
>>95128823
Iron Man gained A list status since the 2008 movie
>>
>>95128823
It's not really that Wolverine lost any popularity it's that Marvel killed him and replaced him with copies that most people don't care about so he isn't as prominent.
>>
>>95128823
When you're tracking popularity, it works to go for movies as a guide, since that's how the majority of people consume superhero media. And in 2007, we had

Gains:
>Spider-Man
Raimi's third movie pushes the character out of the limelight and straight into mockery territory. Spider-Man wasn't cool again for a while, and only with the MCU reboot have normies begun to accept him again.

>Ghost Rider
Nick Cage's movie may have been dumb as fuck, but it introduced a whole new crowd to the character, and earned enough money to warrant a sequel. The minor push of popularity lets Marvel better their Ghost Rider comic, and Aaron's 2008 run is remembered as one of the best.

Ghost Rider endured, barely, and got a nice push recently after ANGR, which lead to an Agents of SHIELD appearance. I'm not saying it was good, but there's clearly an audience for it.

Losses:

>300
When it came out, 300 was insanely popular among dudebros and instant meme-fuel, even back in the days when our memes were still crafted from mud and sticks. With hindisight, we've all kind of admitted it's not that great. Bet that Zack Snyder guy will go on to do great things though.

>Fantastic 4
Despite earning a sequel this year, it will be worse received than the first film, and their downward spiral of popularity will culminate in a horrendous reboot and their 616 deaths.
>>
>>95132075
Nah, mate. Most people have been sick of Logan for a while. Him being front and centre in every movie was annoying enough, but back in the day it was a running joke how many separate teams the man was on. This was just before all the X-Men spinoffs, before their name became poison unless it was Deadpool.
>>
I'd say Captain America.
>>
>>95132502
People loved snikt bub in Logan.
>>
>>95132617
Yeah, but because it was a swan song. They knew it was the end of an era, so there was a big reaction. Remember how people reacted when he was in Apocalypse, though? Remember how that whole movie took a half-hour detour for a Weapon X cameo, and then hinting at Logan screwing Sansa "possible jailbait" Stark? Nobody liked that.

Nobody liked his second solo movie either, or that he took the focus of DofP away from the inter-generational Charles/Erik relationship and made Kitty Pride pointless.

Hell, I didn't even like Logan because I was so worn out on Wolverine that by the time there were two sniktbubs fighting I mentally checked out.
>>
>>95128823
Captain America gained the most popularity. 10 years ago he was constantly made fun of for being a cheesy Boy Scout from an outdated era. Now he's the most popular person in the marvel universe.
Squirrel girl has lost the most popularity. She used to be a somewhat popular niche character. Nobody gives a fuck about her now that social justice has smeared it's sweaty balls all over her face.
>>
>>95128823
Won GoTG. It can't be stated enough that Rocket Raccoon is on lunch boxes now, and they have their own cartoon. That's insane.

Lost the FF. Massively down the shitter because of that horrible film. No kids know who they are anymore, and they don't exist as a team in Marvel.
>>
>>95132734
They hinted at the Wolverine/Jean thing? I didn't watch Apocolypse because I didn't care enough to see it but that seems a little too stupid.
>>
>>95132864
Samefag here.

The Abnett/Lanning GoTG came out April 6th, 2008. They were nothing before that, just obscure forgotten characters.
>>
>>95130849
>>95131574
>>95132864
>>95132912

GoTG wins easily. No one else comes close to that kind of boost.
>>
>>95132880
Oh yeah. They didn't even de-age Jackman either. I get he looks great for his age, but he doesn't look XM1 young.

She lets him out of his cage then calms him enough to get him out of the berserker state, then they share a moment of psychic communication and she reminds him his name is Logan. It's sort of implied that this encounter is what sets him on the path to the X-Men later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkX9GkJSMI

The whole plot of the movie stalls for a solid twenty minutes to get to this moment, though. They get captured, they plan a rescue mission, they break in, Wolverine shows up, they break out, and it adds nothing to the movie as a whole.
>>
>>95132734
>Nobody liked his second solo movie either
I l-liked it...
>>
>>95133091
I saw it in theatres and remember nothing except the train fight.
>>
>>95131574
>boring reskin of Tower of Terror
Did you actually ride CA ToT? Pretty much everyone agrees GotG is an improvement.
>>
File: IMG_5312.gif (1019KB, 480x406px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5312.gif
1019KB, 480x406px
>>95132472
>Spider-Man wasn't cool again for a while, and only with the MCU reboot have normies begun to accept him again.

Spider-Man as a character never stopped being popular even when specific movies with him were unpopular.
>>
Iron Man.
>>
File: DELETE.jpg (48KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
DELETE.jpg
48KB, 360x360px
>>95133270
Do you not remember the backlash after Spider-Man 3?

While certain characters are always big, it's important to note the fluctuations that occur in reception. The Justice League are always pretty up there, but I daresay their popularity has gone up in the last five years.

Plus, you're forgetting the other big event that marks 2007 in Spidey history. We still feel its effects to this very day, and it's soured the comics pretty bad for a lot of people.
>>
>>95133389
>Do you not remember the backlash after Spider-Man 3?

There was backlash because the movie sucked and was an unsatisfying conclusion to what could have been a consistantly fun super hero trilogy.

But the character himself never suffered a loss in popularity, just like Batman's popularity never suffered from Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.
>>
>>95128895
Accurate. I hate Pop-Punk Hot-Topic Harley and Joker. Suicide Squad was shit.
>>
>>95133699
Again, how do you define popularity? His movies became an unusable property for five years, his comic received massive backlash for retconning itself back to a status quo from the 70s.

Spider-Man has been in the top 3 most popular superheroes since 1966 or something, so it's not like "fall in popularity" mean people in 2008 were like "Sorry, Spider-who? I only like The Dark Knight.", but Spider-Man definitely took a dive in popularity that year.
>>
Superman may have lost the most.
>>
>>95133746

I'd probably hate it less if it was just something she wore sometimes instead of all the time.
If Harley just felt like dressing like a hot topic slut in her downtime but put on her classic outfit for villainy/heroism/anti-heroism, I'd be fine with it.
Or at least something similar to her old outfit if they want to justify it as her leaving her Joker past behind her because she's good now or what the fuck ever.
>>
Wolverine and Superman have lost the most. GotG and Suicide Squad went from nobodies to being able to hold solos in current year. Batman gained a lot as well.
>>
>>95132805
Cap is really popular with movie goers and kids.

But in the comics world holy shit is he just in some retarded state. He is simultaneously Nazi-Cap "Le Americas is tots #AmeriKKKa", Blacktain Falcon, Cosmic Meme, and I think also dead or something. And that's in one universe. I think they are only missing Dark-Cap, Robo-Cap and Force-Ghost Cap.

I can't imagine what it would be like for a little kid going into a comic shop and asking for a captain America comic book.

"Do you have Cabin Ameriga?"
"Do you want to read about Nazi, Black, Old, Dead, or Comsic fart Cap?"
"Uhm, Cabin Ameriga and the Avengers... I like those guys"
"Sorry Cap is a Nazi now. Here's your shitty garbage identity politics book. How about some AMERICA CHAVEZ!"
>>
>>95134003
Little kids don't go into comic book stores.
>>
>>95133919
I think Harley having an alter ego kind of works better. Getting close to crazies for Joker to recruit is something they haven't done much but would make sense. Being clown themed Harley and Joker are sort of purposely silly/offbeat, but they needed everyone in that movie to match the "hurr durr thug culture, tattoos, and Spanish and shieeet, we hood villains."

I like her having retention of a normal self if it's a story where she's supposed to be a "salvageable" person.

I really fucking hated that movie. I knew it was just "lets appeal to the retarded Hot Topic Edgey Joker fans"
>>
>>95134036
Nerdy parents take them. Pretty common in my shop, there's even a "kids section"
>>
>>95132734
>Nobody liked his second solo movie either,

Bullshit.

>Nobody liked that he Kitty Pride pointless.

Double bullshit. Fuck off jew
>>
>>95128823
Iron Man
>>
>>95134476
>He liked The Wolverine
>He's never read Days of Future Past
>He wasn't browsing /co/ in 2014
>He doesn't think the focus on sniktbub in DofP robbed the film of the Charles/Erik relationship from FC, the only interesting character interactions the X-Men series has ever had

Looks like you've failed to foil my plot this time, Goyiman!
>>
>>95133985
Not at all, stop the me meme both Mos and bvs helped with supes popularity.

He is selling more merchandise than before, using 2015 numbers he outsold every marvel character not named spiderman. I'm using 2015 because he didn't had a movie that year, but for the record in 2016 he was more popular than captain America, thor, or Iron man.

But to be fair, superman and batman sell t shirts to adults, the mcu characters can't do the same for normal well adjusted people.
>>
>>95132502
This. Remember how people reacted to the "month of Wolverine" or whatever they called it, where every single comic Marvel printed that month had a Wolverine variant? Even the books that had fuck all to do with Wolverine had a Wolverine art variant. Fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>95134674
>>He's never read Days of Future Past

If you actually read DoFP you'd know that Kitty was only chosen to go back in time because she hadn't been taught how to mentally shield herself yet. There's nothing special about Kitty that made her necessary to the plot and it wouldn't make any sense for Kitty to go back in time in the movie universe. The explanation why Wolverine was sent doubled as an explanation for why they didn't try before or why they didn't try something more drastic. Technically movie Kitty was stealing time from Rachel but since Cyclops and JEAAAAAN were both already dead it was impossible for her to be born.

>the focus on sniktbub

>implying there's any focus on wolverine

The story focuses on the Xavier/Magneto/Mystique trio. Both times that shit actually goes down Wolverine is instantly removed and only the trio (and Beast) are able to actually do anything to affect the outcome of the story.
>>
>>95134939

I dunno. I see my share of grown ass adults with Cap's shield, the X-Men X, Spider-Man's Spider emblem, Punisher's skull, and oddly enough the symbiote spider-emblem, both the Peter and Eddie variants.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.