[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm under the impression that most funny and non-serious

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: Peanuts vs Daredevil.png (2MB, 1837x1388px) Image search: [Google]
Peanuts vs Daredevil.png
2MB, 1837x1388px
I'm under the impression that most funny and non-serious comics are drawn in a "cartoonish" and simple way, while most serious comics are drawn in a dramatic and detailed way that aims at being very realistic.

Are there comics that are serious but are drawn in a simple way like the non-serious ones?
>>
Peter Bagge's biographical work is pretty "serious" and done in a "cartoonish" style. Bone has both silly and serious moments and a drawing style that's a balance between the two.
>>
Tails Gets Trolled.
>>
The Bus has very detailed art.
I Kill Giants is entirely cartoony.
>>
Joe Sacco's work maybe, his characters are fairly cartooned.
>>
>>95125112
>>95125183
>>95125204
That's interesting, thank you. I'll definitely check them out.
Although I meant more of a simple drawing style, not necessarily cartoony (which can also be detailed, which isn't what I was looking for)
>>
>>95125231
I Kill Giants is a mishmash of simplification, pop manga, and cartooning.
>>
Try the works of Chris Ware.

Very simplistic, very serious.
>>
File: cocaine.jpg (390KB, 600x607px) Image search: [Google]
cocaine.jpg
390KB, 600x607px
>>95125050
Angel Love deals with some fairly heavy stuff
>>
File: 048[1].jpg (164KB, 620x877px) Image search: [Google]
048[1].jpg
164KB, 620x877px
>>95125050
You didn't ask for silly comics that are drawn serious, but I'm still gonna mention Gone With The Blastwave
>>
>>95125636
I might be missing a subtle hint here. Is that man going to go do cocaine?
>>
>>95125050
Kaijumax
Jason Lutes is not cartoony, but his work is minimalist. A lot of indie and alternative cartoonists have cartoony style for serious subjects. For example, Persepolis and Maus.
>>
>>95125132
Was it kino?
Yes.
>>
>>95125050
Charles Forsman's The End of the Fucking World uses a very Shulz inspired artsyle.
>>
File: Peppermint Patties last strip.jpg (406KB, 1412x983px) Image search: [Google]
Peppermint Patties last strip.jpg
406KB, 1412x983px
>>
Cerebus isn't exactly realistic, it's furry and caricature mixed.

Maus isn't cartoony, but the characters are presented as animals.

If you really want cartoony art and serious subject matter, you're better off going to early /a/...
>>
File: JimmyC.png (4MB, 1600x1245px) Image search: [Google]
JimmyC.png
4MB, 1600x1245px
You want cringe-inducing seriousness of story and theme combined with stylized, cartoony art? Look no further than the works of Chris Ware, especially Jimmy Corrigan.
>>
>>95125050
Look up Ms. Don't Touch Me. Deadly serious, cutesy simplistic presentation.
Then look up everything else by that same illustrator.
Fucking France, man.
>>
File: charlie_depressed.jpg (77KB, 558x471px) Image search: [Google]
charlie_depressed.jpg
77KB, 558x471px
I am mildly offended - just mildly - at the suggestion that Peanuts is a non-serious comic strip. Particularly the crude oversimplified thing on the left in OPs pic which, if it's not obvious to everyone else, is not a Peanuts strip.

It looks like another anon >>95127411 intended to make my case here.

Peanuts, for what it was, was a serious comic drawn in a fairly toony manner. Groundbreaking really, being an inverse of what other comics before 50s were at the time, whimsical adventure comics drawn in quite a detailed manner (like Little Nemo).
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.