[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So now that the dust has settled, we can all agree Season

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

File: samurai jack scat robot.png (888KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
samurai jack scat robot.png
888KB, 1600x900px
So now that the dust has settled, we can all agree Season 5 was great right?
>>
File: IMG_3132.jpg (15KB, 640x272px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3132.jpg
15KB, 640x272px
>>95087193
It could have been better
>>
>>95087193
Nope.
Scaramouche was dope though.
>>
The first half was, after Ashi it went downhill.
>>
>>95087193
ep 1-3 good
rest mediocre to subpar
>>
>>95087193
First 3 ep were great

then it went to shit

overall, it was rushed and not worth waiting 13 years
>>
Season 5 was great. No idea what people are going on about when they bitch about Ashi and shit. It was great and felt like a perfect end to the series. Sure the last episode was a tad rushed but he got back and that's the important thing. It's the journey, not the destination.
>>
>>95087193
Yes, but it had clear pacing issues. It is definitely the prettiest cartoon.
>>
>>95087193
I don't know. I forgot to watch anything after episode 4. Asm I better off that way?
>>
>>95087637
>he got back and that's the important thing
>it's the journey not the destination
These are contradictory statements, particularly because going back literally erased the journey from happening
>>
>>95087712
If you like ashi, then you'll be pissed at how things go for her.
If you don't like ashi, you'll be pissed that so much time was dedicated to her just to have it all feel meaningless come the finale
>>
File: 1499179124191.png (923KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1499179124191.png
923KB, 1920x1080px
>>95087193
For like, the first three episodes. Then it went to shit. Ashi was a mistake.
>>
The first three episodes set the bar too damn high. The rest of the series was great on its own, but felt really underwhelming by comparison.
>>
>>95088303
It happened. Only to Jack though
>>
Needed more:
* Blood
* Misery
* Death
Needed less:
* cutesy erection jokes
* romance
>>
>>95089137
>Ashi was a mistake.

That's weird, your father said the same thing about you.
>>
>>95087253
/thread
>>
File: Ow_the_edge.jpg (63KB, 400x366px) Image search: [Google]
Ow_the_edge.jpg
63KB, 400x366px
>>95090563
>>
>>95087193
the first 3 episodes being the only good ones wasnt a meme
>>
>>95087193
Episodes 1-3 were fucking excellent, and set the bar way too high.

Episode 4 was alright. It would have been a decent to good episode of classic Jack. But it was weighed down with the question of WHY Jack was going out of his way to save someone constantly trying to get them both killed.

Episode 5 was alright. Got some Scotsman action, (Too bad he won't be relevant again until WAY too late in the season.) and some resolution toward the ghost samurai. But it is also where the pacing starts to screw up. Jashi visit a few places, and suddenly she no longer sees Aku as the good guy. They have an alright fight at the end, and it sets up some resolution to the ghost samurai visions Jack was having...

but then...

Episode 6... was fucking shit. Pure nostalgia bait, and none of it done well. No matter how you look at it, the episode was filler, if helping to bring Ashi the Unneeded around to seeing Jack as a hero. We have a B-plot of Scaramouche failing to contact Aku, which obviously will be so that Aku can only show up after Jack gets his sword back.

Episode 7 was heavily mishandled. The Jack-inner peace bits were alright, but Ashi soloing an army AND foiling her mother's attempt on Jack's life was just filler. There was no emotion, no stakes. Of course she's going to stop the army of mooks, and then after a short battle she beats her mother by THROWING an arrow at her... Would have been a lot better if instead of the army, she sees an assassin crossing the plains, and it turns out to be her mother, and they battle up the mountain as a counterpoint to Jack's inner struggle.

Episode 8 is... mediocre. It works somewhat as a classic Jack episode... and somewhat as a metaphor for sex. Yet overall, it left me feeling like I'd wasted a half hour.

Episode 9... was a big middle finger. From the fate of the Guardian, to Ashi being controlled by Aku.

tbc
>>
>>95090429
Bullshit. Then It's just the same as those shitty kids books where they travel to a magical land until at the end of the story where they make it back to their parents without any proof of the magical adventure, and those endings are absolute bullshit. They were bullshit when I was a kid and they're bullshit now.
>>
>>95091131

Episode 10... doubled down on that middle finger. It had tonnes of wasted time everywhere, it tried to hastily wrap up plots as well as nostalgia bomb the audience with character deaths.

The big fight actually detracts from the episode, and the resolution is both rush and an honest to fucking deus ex machina. "You have Aku powers!" "Oh yeah, I do." [timportal]

Then, it tries to pretend it had built up any emotional gravitas by aping an ending done much better elsewhere, and showing that at least Evil rewards its successful minions. The entire collection of multiple pantheons practically said, "Hey, know you beat an incarnation of ultimate evil... sorry about the waifu."
>>
>>95091118
>>95091131
>Episodes 1-3 were fucking excellent

It's always funny seeing this because I remember /co/ was hardly impressed with the first episode when it came out. But because 2 and 3 were excellent and 4 marked the start of Ashi, they group #1 with 2 and 3 now.
>>
>>95091065
Oh i'm sorry, did i burn you so bad it roasted your brain?

sorry not sorry
>>
>>95091434
It's something of an arc.

The first is going to be weaker, as it has to set things up, but its weakness can be overlooked if the things it sets up are good.
>>
First 3 episodes were absolute masterpieces. Then the show started declining steadily, hitting its bottom with the forced romance episode and culminating in a shitty TTGL ripoff ending. It's sad, really.
>>
Ashi ruined the fub
>>
1-3 were good, really good, it was like we were witnessing the cartoon that would stand comfortably at the top of western animation for years to come

But of course they had to fuck it up. 6/10
>>
>>95087269
>e been better
>>>
> Anonymous 09/03/17(Sun)15:59:42 No.95087245▶
>>>95087193 (OP)
>Nope.
>Scaramouche was dope though.
>>95087253
>>95087290
>>95089137
>>95089176
>>95091118
>>95091131
>>95092529
>>95092586
Like clockwork.
>>
It was about as hit-or-miss as the rest of the series. The only reason to be disappointed is if you're looking back at the old episodes with rose-tinted glasses.
>>
File: 992.jpg (86KB, 755x593px) Image search: [Google]
992.jpg
86KB, 755x593px
This is how Samurai Jack's peak performance looks like.
>>
>>95092619
>Ashifag butthurt

Begone, nigger, you have no power here where the word of Shagigod reigns supreme.
>>
Yes it was.
The beginning was the strongest point, even if hearing "the first three episodes were great but..." gets really grating after a while, they're right.
They feel the most like what Samurai Jack should be if it were aimed at an adult audience.

Still, the rest of the season, despite suffering a slight drop in quality, which at times is more pronounced than others, is still some great stuff and highly entertaining. Every episode has something salvageable, even the ones I consider to be the most lackluster.
I feel people overhyped themselves (which is understandable, with 13 years in between seasons), but I am a huge Samurai Jack fan, was hyped as hell and still enjoyed the final product.
>>
>>95087193
yup
>>
Not enough sword fighting.
>>
Needed more episodes.
>>
>>95091517
Now, I am an idiot, so I am perfectly justified in asking what the fuck are you on about.
>>
File: The day OP was Jacked.png (167KB, 1346x454px) Image search: [Google]
The day OP was Jacked.png
167KB, 1346x454px
>>95093812
He's either referencing this, trying to replicate it, he's baiting you or he's just an idiot.
>>
File: 77723958235.png (669KB, 1162x850px) Image search: [Google]
77723958235.png
669KB, 1162x850px
>That entire fucking sequence of Jack being hounded by the daughters of Aku, followed by SAMURAI OF MURDER, and the white wolf metaphor going throughout the episode
>The fucking scene the following chapter where Jack and the wolf actually meet covered in blood that is absolutely kino and they become blood brothers, followed by Jack accepting murder is necessary and slaughters the daughters

The rest of the season wasn't that bad actually, but in comparison to episodes 2-3 it was a complete letdown.

Overall, too much dialogue/10
>>
>>95093924
>Overall, too much dialogue/10

I barely see people mention this and I feel it's a relevant complain. There really is more dialogue than you would expect from Samurai Jack, to the point that silent sequences actually feel a bit alien.
Here's a shitty idea I've had; make Ashi and the rest of the sisters incapable or barely capable of speech because of their training.
Having Jack and Ashi developing their relationship with a minimal exchange of words, and even having Jack doing most of the talking could have been interesting.

Still, I'm not really complaining about the dialogue; it was a given with two main leads.
>>
While I think the ending was the worse garbage to come out recently (yes, it was that bad), and not liking Ashi's contribution to the plot at any level, I do still believe the season was at least good enough to be worth existing. Like, I can understand a ton of the distate for it, but I would argue warts and all, it's still worth watching.

>>95093995
Mute Ashi would have made her a far more interesting character than we got, for sure.
>>
>>95094184
>Mute Ashi would have made her a far more interesting character than we got, for sure.
While I have a soft spot for mute characters I still like Ashi the way she is,
>>
>>95094330
Could you elaborate on what exactly you like about Ashi? As one of the "Ashi-less 5th" camp, I have a hard time seeing any reason to even want to consider having her as a character, as she currently exist. I just can't see what she contributed that couldn't have been done by an existing character, or just done by Jack himself.
>>
>>95094584
She got Jack to the past retard
>>
>>95094724
Oh, I forgot, and Katrina actually had the Maltese Falcon in her purse the whole time!

Which is to say, that's not a reason, retard. We had Aku destroy the one portal which had proven undestructible (and don't tell me Aku is unstoppable without the sort, he is merely undefeatable without the sword, the elementals which Jack beat prove that point) for the sole point of making Ashi be his only way to the past. They literally had to conconct a bullshit excuse in order for Ashi to pull that out of her ass at the last second.
>>
>>95094724
>>95094925

Not to mention they could have gone with the "no portals remain and Jack must accept that the future is his home now" route, which would have been quite the surprise after all the gotta get back, back to the past, samurai Jacks WACHA
>>
>>95091200
Why does he need proof? It happened and it clearly had an impact on Jack. Pretty sure when Ashi disappeared Jack realized he undid the whole future and it fucked him up.
>>
File: 1497492915195.gif (3MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1497492915195.gif
3MB, 500x281px
>>95087193

Compared to other samurai jack seasons and episodes, yes(well idk about the finale). However, it was very deliberately misleading in the first episode and advertising in that it promised to be "adult" and have actual killing etc. which that did not hold up as the season progressed.
>>
Ashi could've retained her whole entirely, and the series could've kept its atmosphere as in the first three episodes. It only became rushed after that because it switched to be about fulfilling a set story that had to have end in a specific way. It set up a lot of unnecessary shit with the sword being lost and Scotsman and stuff. Those things, while resolved, could've been more natural occurrences to pad out Jack's wandering instead of "plot points" that add this soft yet unnecessary sense of requirement to it.

The first few episodes felt like a Kurosawa movie, while /co/ talks about the last few episodes with the terminology and lore mechanics of a fucking JRPG .
>>
>>95098250
>her whole entirely
*role entirely
>about fulfilling a set story that had to have end in a specific way
That *operated* as if it had to mark off plot points like a check list.

Am I fucking high right now
>>
It was pretty good overall, but the first third of the season was exceptionally superior to the other two thirds. The nostalgia episode was a fun throwback. The ending felt like a wasted opportunity, but no matter how Genndy ended it people would've bitched.
The very last scene of him sitting in the rain was a nice touch, felt like it portrayed how everyone felt: The adventure is over.
>>
>>95087193
It was fucking shit and that rushed shit ending was horrible
>>
File: 1486652215120.jpg (224KB, 1000x584px) Image search: [Google]
1486652215120.jpg
224KB, 1000x584px
Even my least favorite episode had something of worth on it.
>>
>>95087193
It had some really strong elements, but overall it was just too short to properly pull off what it was trying to do, making the whole thing feel rushed and poorly planned out.
>>
>>95094584
Well, what I'm about to say is my personal interpretation and while I doubt that it was what Genndy had in mind, I still like to think of it a solid enough to be possible.
I like Ashi because, aside from enjoying her character and finding her to be a good foil to Jack in her approach to the problems that arise during their journey, I feel she's the epitome of what the world Aku created is like.
She starts off hating the Samurai from birth, the ultimate display of the corruption Aku has unleashed upon the world to the point of having an extremely distorted view on reality. However, as she interacts with Jack and gets to know him, she slowly overcomes this manipulation and vileness and becomes someone hopeful, kind and a rebel against Aku's tyranny. Ashi's basically a reflection of the world Jack found and changed through his actions made into a character.
That's also why I don't mind her dying from a storytelling perspective, since if she symbolizes a world ruled by Aku, it makes sense that she would disappear with it despite having escaped its corruption.

From a character perspective, I like the way she mirrors Jack in many ways. Trained from childhood into a killing machine to defeat an enemy that can't be seemingly killed, becoming an extremely kind person to the people she helps... But she's also much more violent than Jack, and more decisive since she made the choice to go back into the past in a heartbeat unlike Jack who, if given the chance, I'm confidant wouldn't have returned until he had saved everyone.
>>
>>95087193
scaaaaramoouche

>>95093855
OP was blown the fuck out holy kek
>>
>>95087193
Good until Ashi has her change of heart after they escape the monster's stomach, then garbage
>>
I feel it would have been better if they had stuck to the original four seasons' format and had just had 10 unrelated episodes with a grittier tone, dedicating an episode to Jack getting the sword back and a two parter for the final fight against Aku.
>>
Needed more episodes. Most of the stuff people think they're complaining about with Ashi is actually complaining about how little time everything got to breathe.

They only had ten episodes so everything had to go at this ridiculously quick pace. If Ashi had had time to slowly come around, become her own person and then gradually fall in love with Jack, then I don't think NEARLY as many people would've complained.

Imagine a 26-episode season with Jack and Ashi journeying around and the twin themes of Ashi learning the truth about the world and gaining her humanity while Jack tries to slowly deal with the trauma of the last 50 years and his inner demons, represented by Blue Jack. Tell me that doesn't sound amazing.
>>
>>95093995
It's very fucking strange comparing the first three episodes to, for example, episode 8.

>I THINK THIS WAS SOME KIND OF PRISON.
Well no shit, what tipped you off, all of the cells that've been broken out of?
>>
What if...what if...episodes 4-10 WEREN'T shit and it's just that the first 3 episodes just made them look like shit in comparison?
>>
>>95102761
You talk like a faggot but you're kind of right. If it were any other series episodes 4-10 wouldn't get that much shit.
>>
>>95102798
>repeating two words twice makes you sound like a faggot
Make like a tree and leave.
>>
>>95091517
>>95090563
unoriginal, uninspired joke
>>
>>95092668
This collage rustles my jimmies by only showing people responding to shaggyfag posts, not his actual posts.
>>
>>95102900
To be fair, his posts were cut very early on since he got a ban for avatarfagging
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.