[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not really into comics that much, but i decided to read Infinity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 12

File: p1_0[1].jpg (517KB, 948x1440px) Image search: [Google]
p1_0[1].jpg
517KB, 948x1440px
Not really into comics that much, but i decided to read Infinity Gauntlet because i love the MCU, and holy shit guys, this is terrible.

Why is there so much hype for such a mediocre story? Do you think that the movie will change a lot of stuff to make ir more interesting?
>>
>>95070655
Normalfags sure have shit taste.
>>
>>95070688
So you guys think that this is a great comic?

i really don't understand this. Things like The Killing Joke and Watchmen (The only comics that i've read before) are great in everyway, so i kinda understand why do you guys are so passionate when defending the original against the adaptations, but this si shit.
>>
>>95070762
Quality bait.
>>
>>95070844
Its not a bait

i just wanted to talk about the comic
>>
>>95070762
watchmen is only good if you have read a bunch of silver age comic.

That's how I know this is bait
>>
>>95070931
Well, i loved the movie and was desperate for more Watchmen
>>
>>95070931
Not OP, but Watchmen stands on it's own so long as you are even somewhat familliar with superhero tropes.
>>
>>95070688
>>95070844
He ain't wrong desu, the whole book is just Starlin wanking his OC. Replace Starlin with Bendis and Thanos with, I dunno, REE REE and you get the exact same shit.

>>95070931
Wrong.
>>
>>95070655
>Infinity Gauntlet is terrible.
>>95070762
>The Killing Joke is great in everyway
If this isn't bait, then you have incredibly shitty taste. Like fuck, how can someone have taste THIS fucking bad?
>>
>>95070655
Alright I'll bite, what about Infinity Gauntlet is mediocre to you?
>>95070762
>The Killing Joke
>Great in every way
Yeah its not like Babs was crippled for shock value. We may have gotten Oracle out of it, but don't act like TKJ is a flawless masterpiece
>>
File: e9d.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e9d.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>95070655
>>
>>95070992
Ok... This is the only time that i hear someone badmouths The Killing Joke]

I think that your level of contrarianism is too much, even for 4chan
>>
>>95070655

soooo

storytime, anyone?
>>
If you guys really like this shit, then explain me why
>>
>>95070971
it loses A LOT if you haven't read a lot of silver age though. I exaggerated a bit, but it's still not nearly half as good if you skip comics and is your first read on any comic
>>
>>95071044
Explain why you werent a fan of it. You don't have to be a fan of it, I'm just curious as to why
>>
>>95070655
>Why is there so much hype for such a mediocre story
Because butt boy Thanos wrecks everyone.
>>
>>95071026
>This is the only time that i hear someone badmouths The Killing Joke
first time on 4chan? The Killing Joke is mediocre for the most part, Ending is fucking golden though
>>
Days of the Future Past is truly great and it only needs 2 issues (the same goes for many Claremont stories).
>>
>>95071021
>shock value
Oh because Thanos killing every single hero in the Marvel universe isn't shocking? I mean sure it gets a really fucking stupid and pointless ending where it's all reverse which is the equivalent of "it was all a dream" but that only makes things worse.
>>
>>95070931
Watchmen was one of the first comics I've read. I thought it was good.
>>
>>95071066
His motives are so weak. And with every rejection that he creates, comes a ridiculous tantrum that becomes old stupid after the third time that it happens.

And the ending is something out of retard school, with the Gauntlet falling on the floor and he going to the heroes side for aid

I didn't like a lot of the dialogue, the moments with Wolwerine and Hulk and made me cringe hard
>>
>>95071146
You're comparing Thanos killing half the universe, and as a result nearly every hero, to Joker crippling Babs and taking nude pics for shits and giggles solely done for shock value alone.
>>
Thanos is not a good villain. He doesnt have non ridiculous motivations.
>>
>>95070931
Only a retard would try to imply trash like Infinity gauntlet is anywhere near Watchmen.
5/10 because your shit bait got me to reply.
>>
>>95070655
I agree
>>
>>95071231
Yeah you're right, Infinity Gauntlet is both edgier and spineless.
>>
>>95071261
what part of that post talks about Infinity Gauntlet?
>>
I'm also thinking about reading Final Crisis just to see how the "final bosses" of DC and Marvel compares with each other

What am i putting myself into? Is Final Crisis a better story?
>>
>Erik Masterson
>>
>>95070655
>Infinity Gauntlet is shit
That's correct, it's Jim Starlin, of course it's shit
>>95070762
Killing Joke is great in every way
Definitely not correct anon, Killing Joke is a shit ton worse than Infinity Gauntlet.
>>
>>95070655
On the outside chance of this not being bait, did you read Thanos Quest first?
>>
When are they putting Infinity War and Crusade into omnibus?
>>
>>95071690
No
>>95071642
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCjJM2oo3EU

Theres nothing in the level of this monologue in Infinity Gauntlet
>>
>>95071146
The reset ending works, imo, because it shows that all Thanos' effort and struggle come to nothing, because he's a fucking loser.
>>
>>95070931
Watchmen is good if you wanna read an interesting story.

It's fantastic if you're familiar with superheroes
>>
>>95071690
I like the Silver Surfer lead in as well, maybe more than the actual event.
>>
>>95071861
>No
Well there's your problem. You need to read the whole story you retard.
>>
>>95071931
I'm nor reading anymore of thi shit

I'm reading Final Crisis now, and i'm enjoying the beginning. How does the comic book community rate it?

Is it the great Darkside Story?
>>
>>95071998
>Is it the great Darkside Story?
No, that's either The Great Darkness Saga or Rock of Ages.
>>
>>95071998
>Is it the great Darkside Story?
That's not The Hunger Dogs.
>>
>>95071998
Op I hope you die
>>
>>95071642
>implying
A character study even to a shit character like the Joker is LEAGUES better than a 'Raaaah muh Thanos, everyone dies, everyone fites' story. There's no thought to it, it's just a bunch of toys fighting toys, much like that majority of event stories.
>>
>>95070655
>Not really into comics that much
>i love the MCU
>>
>>95072273
Fuck off

These guys are so fucking amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0SxuUoaXqU
>>
>>95071998
Great Darkness Saga, Hunger Dogs or Final Crisis take the cake.
>>95072327
Yes, those really aren't mutually exclusive.
>>
>>95072327
Comic books
>>
>>95071998
Grossly exaggerates Kirby's New Gods by turning Darkseid into a overpowered asshole who does almost nothing the entire story.
>>
>>95070688
fpbp
>>
>>95072335
>oh you bastard, how can i top that

fucking golden
>>
>>95070973

But Starlin is a good writer. Bendis burned out 75 issues into USM and two relaunches into Powers.
>>
>>95071383

It's called Final Crisis and you want to start there? You really and truly are stupid.
>>
>>95072487

To be fair, usually Darkseid does nothing. Because he knows how everybody will break against the shore that he is. But in Final Crisis, he didn't even do that. He just did.... nothing.
>>
>>95072628
I just wanna a good Darkseid story

This one is nice. Very well written
>>
>>95072586
>Starlin is a good writer
My fucking sides.
The only arguably good thing Starlin ever wrote is Warlock, the rest is all self-indulgent wankery.
>>
>>95072663
anon...you are looking in the wrong places to get into comics...
>>
>>95072663
Eat shit. Either read Kirbys Fourth World or accept being a pleb forever.
>>
>>95070655
Ok anon. You want a really good recommendation? Read The Life and Times of Scrooge Mcduck. Then Bone. Then Maus parts 1 & 2. Expand yourself beyond the capes.
>>
>>95072718
>>95072723
These are my first comics and i'm loving them. I'm leaning toward DC though, they seem to be way better than Marvel in comics and iconic stories.

Any other recommendations? I'm leaning towards newer stories so that would be nice.

I'll check Kirby later. He seems to be the greatest on around
>>
>>95071146
It's not a full reset considering it has like 3 sequels and the whole book is about the McGuffin to end all mcguffin so it's allowed to have a mcguffin ending. Besides you didn't like the solid opening of wiping out half the universe? Or the fight against the elder gods? Or that dope cap moment? I'm not saying it's perfect but it's a great comic
>>
>>95072796
>I've only read one Marvel comic and 2 and a half DC.
>Wow, Marvel comics sure do suck.
You are the faggiest faggot who ever lived.
>>
>>95072796
>I'm leaning towards newer stories so that would be nice.
Start with the Silver Age shithead.
>>95072870
Fucking this.
>>
>>95072796

>What is Claremont X-Men

>What is Miller's Daredevil

>What is Stern's Spiderman

>What is Roy Thomas Avengers

You are a 13 year old faggot
>>
>>95072889
no way, Bronze age is where you should always start
>>
>>95072870
>These are my first comics

What part of that you don't understand?

I have a friend that says that Daredevil was awesome when the guy that wrote Batman dark knight was doing it, so i'll check it later.

And i loved the X-Men cartoon of the 90s. Is just that DC is more interesting to me now.
>>
Sure is casual in here. Also no one gives a fuck about OP's blog here
>>
>>95072937
Bronze age is good but you should start Silver Age. If they can't handle comics that show a bit of their age and can't look past it, then fuck em.
>>
File: 1488888728895.jpg (10KB, 168x300px) Image search: [Google]
1488888728895.jpg
10KB, 168x300px
>>95070655
There was continuity that built up to that, back then that was a huge selling point and made comic stores happy because people would need back issues to get the full story so it made everything matter. You Needed to at least read Thanos Quest to get the major points, but imo get scans of the omnibus that has all the stories that were the lead up to it tied together.
>>
>>95073070
Why the fuck would i read something that looks like shit?

Final Crisis is being awesome and the newer art is part of it.

i'll read Darkseid war next
>>
>implying there's a "right" way to get into comics
You guys are fucking autistic imbeciles and the reason comic books are dying.
>>
>>95073111
Holy fucking shit, you know I was with you on Infinity Gauntlet being overrated trash, but you really are a moron. Kill yourself.
>>
>>95072956
>These are my first comics
The problem I have with this is
A) Going into the medium with a stupid ass company wars mentality, and
B) Already using your microscopic viewpoint to make broad judgments about companies spanning decades.
>>
>>95073111
>Why the fuck would i read something that looks like shit?
You have no fucking taste.
>>95073112
I wasn't saying there is but there's certainly a litmus test to out the fucking retards.
>>
>>95073070
Then why not tell them to go back to golden age? Your arguement holds no merit besides muh comic history. Silver age doesn't have much to say about comics, it's when the Bronze age that hit that they started to think about it.
>>
>>95073101
>back then that was a huge selling point and made comic stores happy because people would need back issues to get the full story so it made everything matter.
It's so fucking crazy that things have 180 and now most Marvel books are so pump and dump that there is no reason to revisit any of them. I mean Secret Empire has basically been bong away to where you can just ignore the event and you missed out on nothing.
>>
>>95070655
Your bait thread is low quality

But since you made it let me place my opinion that IG stands among the great comics, and in a prominent position.

Let's not kid ourselves, comics, and capes specifically, are not the pinnacle of literature. That's why comics like IG stand out. Other great comics rely on characterisation (Kirby F4), cultural relevance (SS, Watchmen) or composition (KLH). This one relies purely on good writing. The sole fact that the heroes lose against omnipotence, speaks volumes.
>>
>>95073172
Because I knew the shiteater wouldn't even read something from the 60s let alone the 30s or 40s.
>Silver age doesn't have much to say about comics, it's when the Bronze age that hit that they started to think about it.
You don't really believe that do you? There's no value to any of the classics?
>>
>>95073225
>Infinity Wank
>"""good"""" writing
Fucking KEK
I bet you think Cosmic Odyssey was good too.
>>
>>95073150
I didn't want to make and "company war" shit. Is just that all the DC books that i've read i fount nice and it was a shore to finish the Infint gauntlet shit, that everybody seems to hype as the greatest thing ever.

>>95073144
Man, i never imagined that i would be reading comics in saturday night. But i am doing it, and right now, i'm having a lot of fun with it.

What is the problem if i don't want to read a classic comic that looks like shit? Maybe its a great book, but i feel that if i read it now there is a risk that i'll hate it and never come back to it again.

So newer things, easier things are better. I'm having fun with Final Crisis, Darkseid war seems to be interestinng too. Maybe in some point i read Kirby and find it as awesome as you, but not right now.
>>
>>95073172
If we are talking Marvel Silver age materials are referenced in troves into Bronze age. Thanos and Warlock's story that leads to IG starts back in 1972. That's not saying you have to read them but Marvel's continuity boner started in the Silver age and stayed with it until Avengers diassembled
>>
>>95073229
there are some classics in silver age people SHOULD read, but it's not a good starting point.

and no, I don't think Silver Age has much to say about the medium.
>>
>>95073278
Darkseid War is fucking garbage, you're a no-taste moron who should go drink bleach right away.
>>
>>95073345
Not really. It has Darkseid, it has good art and a lot of fights

it seems fun

Stop being a sperg. I am not an "expert" in comics, just a sick guy that is in home reading shit online
>>
>>95073273
Elaborate please. Why do you think IG lacks good writing. Use examples.
>>
File: Cosmic Marvel Reading Order.jpg (521KB, 1960x1810px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmic Marvel Reading Order.jpg
521KB, 1960x1810px
>>95073278
what you should do, is figure out what kinds of stories you enjoy. Do you like the cosmic stuff? If so, then read Annihilation and can continue with that story. Some of the best Marvel cosmic stuff is there (better than IW imo)

If you want more DC cosmic then Green Lantern is probably your best best but I don't know as much about DC cosmic stuff
>>
>>95073381
Then just admit that you have extremely shallow taste.
>>
>>95073409
Thanks. I'll save the image and check it later.

Cosmic stuff seems awesome, but i think that powerlevels are what i am interested the most. Thats why i'm reading about Thanos and Darkseid.

>>95073416
OF COURSE YOU FAGGOT

THESE ARE MY FIRST COMIC BOOKS

I'VE CAME FROM WATCHING CAPESHIT

WHATS WRONG WITH YOU?!
>>
>>95073384
The entire event is just Starlin wanking his OC over and over again. Literally the only reason he loses is because the heroes always have to win the day, otherwise IG wouldn't be canon, and hell, the one time he got to write a non-canon Thanos story (Marvel: The End), he made him out to be the most noble, selfless fucker in the universe. It's pathetic.
>>
>>95073409
Also, what about comixology? I read all my books on my phone, reading comics on it can make the experience be worst?
>>
>>95073509
>I'VE CAME FROM WATCHING CAPESHIT
You obviously need to go back to watching your garbage then.
>>
>>95073663
You have problemes kid
>>
>>95073611
if you are going to read digital then it's a good idea. Personally, I am a shelfwhore and want to own my books. I find a lot of books give me more enjoyment when I read them physically, cause certain books are written to impact you when you read them physically, like page flips and stuff. but not many are written that well.

You can also download a lot of comics for free, /co/ is great for pirated shit, and torrents are also great for full runs, like that Marvel Cosmic reading list. I downloaded it with the entire list of books.
>>
>>95073819
Thats great to hear. I'll try to use comixology, the app seems to be amazing.
>>
File: timthumb.jpg (853KB, 450x5465px) Image search: [Google]
timthumb.jpg
853KB, 450x5465px
>>95073677
And you're a phoneposting retard that reads only the most vapid of what the medium has to offer and has the audacity to condemn other works, knowing full well how little you actually know about "quality". You're taste would be excusable if you weren't so quick to shit over anything that isn't to your extremely shitty taste.
Have a rec to help you out.
>>
>>95070973
>He ain't wrong desu, the whole book is just Starlin wanking his OC

no it isn't avengers fanboy

just cause your favorite characters got crapped on doesn't mean starlin didn't have a point
>>
>>95073925
And what is that point, pray tell? Thanos über alles?
>>
>>95072301
>There's no thought to it

you're so fucking wrong holy shit

why do you talk shit about things you know nothing about
>>
>>95073890
My sense of "quality" comes from the things that i jad fun with. From the little that i've read, i know what i liked and what i didn't.

You have this defensive way to deal with people that have a different opinion about your favourite company. And this is childish. I already told that i don't ead many things, but for what i've read, Infinity Gauntles was the worst by far.

Hellboy movies are nice, maybe i'll check the books.
>>
ITT: A long lost issue of The Eltingville Club
I'm so sorry for you OP
>>
>>95073963
That Thanos for all his delusions of grandeur is nothing more than a pitiful psychologically stunted loser. It was the end of one era of Thanos stories and the beginning of a new (arguably less good) era in which Starlin attempted to transform Thanos into a more psychologically nuanced character and something of an anti-hero. But disregarding that, as the endcap to what came before it is a brilliant story.

People who talk shit about Gauntlet have ONLY read Gauntlet.
>>
>>95074081
>y-you need to read the entirety of Starlin's cosmic saga to understand this one story!!
wew lad
A story should be able to stand on its own, if shit's lousy, it's lousy, no ifs or buts.
>>
File: 1446407365373.jpg (781KB, 1946x1660px) Image search: [Google]
1446407365373.jpg
781KB, 1946x1660px
OP, if you're still here
I recommend using this
http://corecommendedcomics.wikia.com/wiki//co/_Recommended_Comics_Wiki
>>
>>95074145
Oh God... This is perfect

Thanks man
>>
>>95074122
>Return of the King is shit because you have to read Fellowship and Towers to understand it
>Return of the Jedi is shit because you have to watch Star Wars and Empire before it

Oh, you were trolling all along. My mistake for trying to engage you.
>>
>people calling OP bait

I kind of agree with him, I don't know if it is because IG was one of the first comics I read, so I didn't know most of the characters, but I do remember finding it mediocre as fuck
>>
File: 1353636796451.jpg (2MB, 2292x2700px) Image search: [Google]
1353636796451.jpg
2MB, 2292x2700px
>>95074162
And another list
>>
>>95074122
there is no rule in stories that say you have to keep your story to one book. many classics need you to understand the entire thing, look at all the classic fantasy novels, you can't jump into book 5 of Robert Jordan's books and expect to understand it. Just like you can't pick up a single Claremont X-men and understand what's going on. You may like the books but don't understand everything.
>>
>>95074145
OP won't read any of that because it doesn't have LE EPIC BANG BANG WAHOOO moments and FUCKING AWESOME HYPER-REALISTIC MODERN ART!! so they're all garbage in his eyes.
>>
File: 1445390006380.jpg (166KB, 1345x864px) Image search: [Google]
1445390006380.jpg
166KB, 1345x864px
>>95074162
If you're going to read Cerebus
Keep pic related in mind
Author went nuts
>>
>>95074063
>You have this defensive way to deal with people that have a different opinion about your favourite company.
You double nigger quit trying to turn this into company wars.
>>
Ok guys, i'm going to sleep. My headache is killing me and i can't look into my notebook and phone anymore.

i found this podcast aboud comics .They seem nice. I'll listen to them to relax and fall sleep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6x7j-J_RFc

Bye guys
>>
File: understanding comics.gif (7KB, 235x229px) Image search: [Google]
understanding comics.gif
7KB, 235x229px
>>95074162
once you have read a bunch of comics it would be a good idea to read Understand Comics. it is one of the few books that breaks the medium apart and analyzes it. I just recently read it and it makes me read books a little differently, and appreciate things I didn't before
>>
>>95074180
Neither of those stories is shit though, they both have moments that make the experience worthwhile evn if you're not familiar with the previous material, like how Jedi builds up to that classic Luke/Vader duel and how it's executed. Infinity Gauntlet is juvenile trash, there are some nice moments, like Cap standing up to Thanos, but everything else is just Thanos curbstomping the Marvel U and losing because he was too tricky for his own good, or whatever lousy excuse of an ending Starlin would feel like using. And of course, the fucker gets away scot free and becomes A FARMER!! Ooh!! So deep and morally grey, bro!! This ain't your grandpa's Doctor Doom! Give me a break.
>>
File: tiff.jpg (26KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
tiff.jpg
26KB, 380x380px
>>95074255
you can get worse than Sal and Pals. I watch anything with Tiff in it though
>>
>>95073579
The reason he loses is that he is a fuck up. It's his story and that's the fucking point of it.
>>
File: 2vmhklk.jpg (85KB, 614x738px) Image search: [Google]
2vmhklk.jpg
85KB, 614x738px
Damn, didn't know /co/ can get so touchy on Infinity Gauntlet while dismissing Watchmen and Killing Joke as joke.
>>
>>95074328
>Neither of those stories is shit though, they both have moments that make the experience worthwhile evn if you're not familiar with the previous material, like how Jedi builds up to that classic Luke/Vader duel and how it's executed

That's fucking bullshit. You are not in a position to speak on this when you are clearly familiar with the stories that precede those and unfamiliar with Starlin's.

Thanos got fucking rekt in Thanos War and Magus Saga, which is precisely what makes his triumph over the heroes and self-defeat through his own folly entertaining in Gauntlet.
>>
Beyond it having n upcoming movie, I have never actually observed IG receiving any hype, even in basic recommendation threads IG is never mentioned. I recommend reading stuff that doesn't have a live action or animated adaptation,don't ignore these obviously, but try something that you don't really know right away.
>>
>>95073579
Except it's not. It shows Thanos as an entitled baby who ends up losing because he isn't as good as he thinks he is
>>
>>95074419
>/co/ is a hivemind

I like Watchmen and Infinity Gauntlet for very different reasons, thank you very much.
>>
>>95074328
You are completely missing the point.
>>
>>95074419
No one's dismissing them
>>
File: 151784-bill.jpg (33KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
151784-bill.jpg
33KB, 650x366px
this tread is what hapends wen a hipster wants to talk about comics with a bunch of nerds
>>
thanks OP
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.