[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.cbr.com/sony-nightwatch- movie-spider-man-spinoff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: Nightwatch.jpg (64KB, 984x518px) Image search: [Google]
Nightwatch.jpg
64KB, 984x518px
http://www.cbr.com/sony-nightwatch-movie-spider-man-spinoff-spike-lee/

>Nightwatch Movie Rumored to Be In Development; Spike Lee Eyed to Direct

>A new rumor suggests that Sony may be planning a Nightwatch film directed by none other than Spike Lee.

>The rumor hails from the Tracking Board’s Jeff Sneider who revealed on the latest episode of Meet the Movie Press that Sony is looking to develop a standalone Nightwatch film. Edward Ricourt (Now You See Me, Jessica Jones) is reportedly already at work on a screenplay for the project, with Sony said to have its eye on Do The Right Thing’s Spike Lee to direct the project. While Sneider felt confident about the project being in development, he wasn’t able to confirm the rumor concerning Lee’s potential involvement.

>Should the project receive the greenlight, this would make for the studio’s third film as part of their forthcoming Marvel Universe, following the Tom Hardy-led Venom and the Gina Prince-Bythewood-directed Silver and Black, starring Silver Sable and Black Cat.

>The news of a potential Nightwatch film shouldn’t be entirely surprising, as it was previously rumored that the character was set to make his live-action debut in Spider-Man: Homecoming. At the time, it was said that Sony employees were “feverishly” researching the character with the thought being the character would be making his cinematic debut.

>Nightwatch first appeared in Web of Spider-Man #99, published in April 1993, and was created by Terry Kavanagh, Derek Yaniger and Alex Saviuk. The character, who’s real name is Doctor Kevin Trench, has a bit of an odd origin as after witnessing a costumed man die in battle, he ended up unmasking the the corpse to find that it was an older version of himself. He escaped with the suit, and after initially resisting the call to become Nightwatch, fearing that by putting on the suit he would be unable to prevent his future death, Trench eventually gives in and becomes the superhero Nightwatch.
>>
>>95066243
Also didn't Charles Soule retcon Nightwatch as a villain?
>>
>Nightwatch as a racist black guy
Yay.
>>
>>95066283
Yes, but I'm unsure how much Soule's run will survive the next author...
>>
>>95066243
>Nightwatch
literally who? poor man's spawn?
>>
>>95066384
Well if they have merchandise rights to Spider-Man film characters and not just Spider-Man, they'll probably have to retcon that out.
>>
>>95066549
>poor man's spawn?

Exactly. Sony is trying to get Poor Man's Spawn out before McFarlane actually gets real Spawn out.
>>
>>95066243
Where exactly are all these movies spinning off from?
>>
>>95066637
Nightwatch is considered a Spider-Man character, and Sony wants to make a lot of spin-off movies of Spider-Man characters that may or may not be in the MCU.
>>
>>95066243
Trash it. At least aim for a Carnage movie.
>>
File: Prowler.jpg (103KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Prowler.jpg
103KB, 800x1200px
>>95066243
I completely forgot about Nightwatch existing. Funny, I actually have an issue from him lying around somewhere. Anyway, can't say that I care, even less considering SONY is behind the wheel. Begs the question why they couldnt just use Prowler instead
>>
>>95066721
THIS ,when I think of marvel black superheroes I think the prowler plus I love purple. Prowler is my nigga.
>>
>>95066243
I don't see why they think Spike Lee would be interested. Really doesn't seem to be his kind of movie.
>>
>>95066243
>Nightwatch movie
>Venom movie
>Blackcat/Silver Sable movie
>Mysterio movie
>Kraven the Hunter movie
Stop it, Sony! Stop it!
>>
>>95066283

He retconned everything about Nightwatch, from him being alive again with no explanation, when Nightwatch was first active, to what kind of doctor he was, to him having been a villain who had re-written reality so everyone thought he was a hero.

Soule admitted he originally planned to use a different character for this story, but Brevoort blocked it, as it would have caused Fantastic Four continuity problems, so he used Nightwatch instead. The speculation at the time was that it would have been She-Thing, for a She-Hulk vs She-Thing battle.
>>
>>95066594

Does anyone other that McFarlane actually believe another Spawn movie is really happening, though? I'd say this, and the other Sony Spiderverse movies, as unlikely as they all sound, have more chance of being made within the next 5-10 years, if the superhero movie bubble doesn't burst.
>>
>>95067913
Who ready for MAXIMUM CARNAGE CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE
>>
>>95068067
McFarlane had been trying for twenty years for a new Spawn movie and it will never happen. Hellboy already had two and his reboot will come out before Spawn.
>>
>>95068391

At this point I think I'd believe Liefeld's Youngblood movie will finally happen before the Spawn remake happens.

And it is going to be funny if the Nightwatch movie does happen, and Marvel has to find a way to bring him back and retcon everything Soule did.
>>
>>95068067
There's no bubble to even burst, cape movies are just going to steadily make less and less money until we get back to something like 80s-90s in terms of movies per year. The process has already started.
>>
>>95066243
LITTERALY scraping the bottom of the barrel now Sony
>>
>>95068493
Hollywood movies in general are making less money. Cape movies, Beauty and the Beast, Pirates of the Caribbean, and big CGI action flicks are the only thing making money and even then they are making less than before.

And Hollywood blames Rotten Tomatoes fort their failure.
>>
>>95068570

Aren't movies making less money because people generally have less disposable income as the world lurches from one financial crisis to the next, and because movies are costing more money to make, so it becomes harder and harder to make a profit?

Everyone knows how many reviewers are either bought and paid for, or are 'reviewing' things on irrelevant criteria (things like Iron Fist getting bad reviews for having a White male as the lead), that it's hard to imagine that review sites are the big problem.
>>
>>95066243
who the fuck is nightwatch
>>
>>95069242

You basically have the jist of it, people have less money due to late stage capitalist crises and going to the movies has become a luxury item. As well, due to increasing technological advancement people now have a multitude of much cheaper ways that they can entertain themselves in their own homes, like Netflix and video games.

Another large influence is that you no longer have a single monolithic idea of "pop culture" that used to exist. The internet has made it so that a person can find exactly what they are interested in and connect with other people who are interested in the same thing, creating numerous specialized subcultures that never run out of content. Huge mass appeal items lose their appeal and function. You can see this in everything. Big blockbuster movies are dying, Top 40 music is dying, network TV is dying, chain restaurants are dying. I honestly think this is a good trend. Appealing to the lowest common denominator makes everything worse for everyone else.
>>
>>95069951
So you advocate for risky niche entertainment?
>>
>>95070128

If things are to my tastes and are of high quality, then yes.

Take this example. Let's say you absolutely love cheeseburgers.

You can go to Applebee's and sit down and have an okay cheeseburger, that you know is going to be okay and will always be okay anywhere you go. But it's just okay, not really good or interesting or unique.

Or you can go to the gastropub downtown that serves artisan burgers. Maybe they have ingredients on the menu that you've never heard of. Maybe they use exotic kinds of beef or cheese. There is only one place like this around. You don't know what to expect. But then you go and have the greatest most satisfying cheeseburger of your life.
>>
Wow and I thought an Aunt May movie was scraping the bottom of the barrel.
>>
>>95068570
That's really only true if you look back on the short term. Pretty sure movies in the 2010s as a whole have made more money than any previous decade, even adjusted for inflation.

>>95069242
Current economic conjecture is better than 5 or 10 years ago.
>>
I loved Nightwatch back in the 90's. Blew my mind when it actually came full circle and he died. Didn't know there was a retcon.

Movie would be pretty cool
>>
>>95070128

I'd support entertainment choosing a specific target audience, and focusing their product to that audience's wants and tastes, over a blander product designed by committee to be acceptable for everyone.

For people to just be allowed to stand up and say "This is for us, it's not for you, you don't have to like it, we're not going to change it for you. This is for you, it's not for us, it doesn't matter if we don't like it, and you don't have to change it for us." And for people to be OK with that.

We need to get away from the current climate where everything has to be "inclusive" and "represent" everyone and not be allowed to "offend" anyone who was never going to spend money on it anyway.

Taking risks on entertainment for niche audiences is a good idea, so long as it's a calculated risk, that you know there's enough of an audience to support what you're doing. That also requires niche audiences to be willing to pay for what they want, rather than resorting to internet piracy.
>>
>>95066243
First there was venom
then there was spawn
and then nightwatch was aborted into the world
and some shiteater suit thought a good idea to make a fucking movie of him
>>
>>95068164
that would be hella cooler than infinity war t b h, I mean if the actual backstory movies are any good
>>
Never believe clickbait
>>
>>95066243
In what world is this a good idea?
All Nightwatch ever did was play second fiddle to Spider-Man, hell they had put Spidey in his solo series and it still got cancelled.
>>
>>95068448
>no Supreme movie ever
the feels
>>
Is this character's original story just in Web of Spider-Man or does he appear in other books?
>>
>>95066637
Sony is throwing everything Spidey related at the movie making wall in the hopes they get lucky and one sticks and isn't an awful mess and makes em some money
>>
>>95069242
or maybe it's as simple as the studio's are making crappier movies
>>
>>95066243
McFarlane is going to sue their tits off.
>>
>>95070402
The problem is that the Gastropub burger costs 3 times as much and the place is full of hipsters taking pictures with their phones
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.