[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you compare the Joker as depicted in the Dark Knight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: did I leave the oven on.png (744KB, 1039x674px) Image search: [Google]
did I leave the oven on.png
744KB, 1039x674px
How would you compare the Joker as depicted in the Dark Knight with other incarnations of the same character from distinct media (specific movie, TV show, comic)?

Do you think the TDK Joker is meant to be comic or funny, when compared to other incarnations? Is he meant to be more or less violent? Would he ever be able to "take over" Gotham in the way that other Joker incarnations might, particularly considering his lack of loyalty and care for his henchmen/underlings? Any other thoughts?

I just rewatched the movie for the first time in a few years and it's hard to find discussion about TDK Joker that isn't "Look at this crazy theory about TDK Joker being the hero/romantic lead/wisecracking supporting character of Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight!"
>>
I think he was a fitting Joker for Nolanverse, I think he is meant to be funny, but in a black humor and semi sarcastic kind of way, not HA HA funny kind of way or "look at how I turn toys and clown tricks into weapons" kind of way, he jokes plenty in the movie, it's just a different style

As far as him taking over Gotham, I don't see why not....it'd be the same concept of all other Jokers, he becomes the most feared because he's the most unpredictable/dangerous, therefor people would want to work for him out of fear
>>
>>95033299
Yeah, he works for the universe, so I never got why people kept going NOT MUH JOKER
>>
>>95033189
the mundane life of this Joker is interesting to me

what does he eat? does he ever shower? does he get his hair dye and other personal items himself or have someone else do it? obviously doesn't brush his teeth.
>>
>>95034427
They wanted something from Nolan's movies even if couldn't exist in that universe
>>
>>95034427
he didn't have a Harley
>>
>>95034849
His Harley was gonna be Dent's wife
>>
>>95033299
I think the Joker has had sort of a black humor streak, but it's always merged with/in addition to the more wacky stuff. Some examples of this could be The Killing Joke and the Arkham series, where you have him doing all this depraved stuff but never breaking from that trademark aesthetic.
>>
File: ledger joker.jpg (38KB, 620x470px) Image search: [Google]
ledger joker.jpg
38KB, 620x470px
>>95033189
Batman is always on a delicate balance of simultaneously dark and campy. The Nolan trilogy removed the campy side of it. While Batman can exist without that half of himself, Joker's character is entirely dependent on that balance, so the Dark knight Joker ended up as half a character.
However, having also just rewatched this today, I still say Ledger's performance saved it. He was able to inject enough character into the role it made up for the missing half the character was written with, making him a complete character again. He wasn't the Joker we knew, but to this day I still say he was a fantastic character and villain in his own right.
>>
>>95034926
Yeah, but the point of Nolan's films was NO wacky stuff, it's all put through a very specific filter. Thus, Joker goes from a guy who tells traditional style Jokes in an attempt to be funny, to being that kind of guy you'd say "You know....you're a real funny guy" to in a mob movie before cutting off his fingers because he's such a smug cheeky fucker. They took the idea of Joker being "funny" and put it through the Nolan filter
>>
>>95034912
But she blew the job interview?
>>
>>95035188
Pretty much this. It's the only thing Nolan did right.
>>
>>95034939

> The Nolan trilogy removed the campy side of it.

Yeah the franchise that started with him fighting a team of ninjas with a military microwave and a doctor with a potato sack on his head is clearly meant to be the height of realism.

The "NOLAN WAS TRYING TO MAKE IT REALISTIC HOW DARE HE" crowd never made much sense to me. he picked a more grounded aesthetic, but that trilogy is still very clearly a set of superhero films though one director's filters.

Nolan just wanted the character work to take more precedence and though making it Burton campy would swallow that up. I don't think anyone who watched Rises actually thinks Nolan's trying to make "real" superhero films.
>>
>>95035725
>I don't think anyone who watched Rises actually thinks Nolan's trying to make "real" superhero films.

There is a balance. A superhro film still has to be that, Nolans films are about as real as you can make them. If you wanted to turn superheroes REALLY real, you would have to do something that borders on parody, or isn't about super heroes at all. I get what you're saying but it's kind of a moot point, we all understand what "realistic" means within the realms of super heroes, not actual reality. It's realistic FOR super heroes, not realistic in general.
>>
>>95035873

> we all understand what "realistic" means within the realms of super heroes, not actual reality. It's realistic FOR super heroes, not realistic in general.

Except people love to point out the plot holes in the Nolan films and then go

>OMG I THOUGHT THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE REALISTIC, BRAVO NOLAN

so I think you're being a bit generous with what is assumed knowledge.
>>
File: 1473739188141.png (879KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
1473739188141.png
879KB, 1136x640px
>>95033189
The rape version was better
>>
>>95035725
There's a difference between campy and unrealistic.
>>
I'm the Joka BABY
>>
>>95033189
I feel like this is how you do "edgey joker" right. I think Jack Nicholas was true to the character, making the clown aspect pretty relevant. Though Ledger gave a pretty good performance with enough style that I can accept him as still the joker.
>>
>>95034567
he only drinks Cherry Coke
>>
01 Batman: The Animated Series
02 The Dark Knight Rises
03 Adam West's Batman

Everything else I don't give a shit about.
>>
>>95037716
>I think Jack Nicholas was true to the character,
Please fucking kill yourself.
All Nicholson did was put fucking clown make up on.
He didn't act any different then he ever fucking does.
>>
>>95034567
I don't think he has any personal hygiene at all. His clothes are rotting off of him and he probably smells like sweat, gasoline and blood.

I remember watching the movie the first time and during the scene with Rachel at the party I wondered if she was squirming because of the knife or the smell of his face and body.
>>
>>95038356
Breath, blot face. How did that happen?
>>
>>95033189
animated Joker voiced by Mark Hamill and Heath Ledger Jokers are the best an only ones that matter
>>
>>95037988

>He didn't act any different then he ever fucking does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjD9X2mPIXY

whatever you say m8
>>
>>95037988
Nicholson played the perfect Joker, a vain clown themed gangster obsessed with theatrics
That is the Joker, who cares if Nicholson personifies that

Do you really believe that in order to be a good Joker you need to be someone who doesn't fit the role? You're an idiot
>>
>>95033189
TDK Joker is probably the most rational Joker ever, Joker's strange behavior was often based on famous killers. Nolan Joker is not a killer but a terrorist, he kills people but that isn't the objective really yeah, this was the first Joker had an objective specific. He isn't gangsta Joker neither. Besides TDK Joker introduced a new thing, he put people in situations where they die because of their own evil tendencies.

Some people thought he was based on Monster, a famous manga though maybe Saw was something like that.

Killers could be easily associated to some strange things Joker did in comics for example the Joker that was a whore attention could remind you of BTK, a killer that tortured people but was obsessive with the attention he received, he seemed even more interested in the attention. This one wanted to make people laugh with him and was worried for his image, once they punished him locking him up where nobody could see him.

TDK Joker was an effort to represent the dilemma the society had when they discovered terrorism was a fat problem. Batman had an ethic so he was in disadvantage, he wasn't going to kill anybody so why could they take the risk with Joker?

Joker doesn't have rules, many people think wrongly Joker was talking about freedom but he was talking about being ready to do anything to accomplish something. That's how the world works and it was the lesson Joker wanted to teach Batman.

TAS Joker was usually gangsta Joker, he was interested in money but he was a crazy guy. In Mad Love however, the lier Joker was born, he's different to older versions that remembered things wrong, this one was a lier, I don't know about other Joker was entirely malicious like this one.

TDK Joker is a lier too but he tells the truth when talking to Batman cause he appreciates Batman particularly
>>
>>95037988
>REEEEE NOT MUH JOKER

It's ok because Jack Nicholson already acts like a lunatic so he fit the role perfectly
>>
>>95033299
>As far as him taking over Gotham, I don't see why not
I can see why not: He'd get tremendously bored.
>>
>>95038356
His clothes look nice to me, even the bank robbery ones
>>
File: 144417769255.jpg (18KB, 510x430px) Image search: [Google]
144417769255.jpg
18KB, 510x430px
>>95033189
He wasn't funny.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5dGx7vRtqA - did this recently, it's all about comparisons and perceptions and different interpretations
>>
>>95041372
I thought he had some moments in the mob scene. Magic trick, "yeah."
>>
>>95033189
In a draw with the animated series and Arkham games in other way my favorite Joker
>>
File: 8949850.gif (832KB, 500x245px) Image search: [Google]
8949850.gif
832KB, 500x245px
>>95041721
You laugh beacuse the mob gets killed, not because the joke was good. It was lackluster, not having the killing joy of the Joker as we know him from the comics. He was... so serious
>>
He was good, and Ledger turned in a hell of a performance. But I think the writing in the movie made him a bit too invincible and two steps ahead of everyone else. The entire plot line with the dude that had the bomb in his stomach was dumb as fuck.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.