[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I alone in thinking this show is brilliant? The jokes, pacing,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 20

File: file.png (218KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
218KB, 320x320px
Am I alone in thinking this show is brilliant? The jokes, pacing, and overall well done blending of the separate genres together seamlessly?
>>
>>94991217
Nope, but those who would agree with us are few and far between. Luckily, there's a bunch of us on /co/.
>>
>>94991258
>Luckily, there's a bunch of us on /co/
The hivemind is big, true.
>>
When it's good, it's fucking fantastic

When it's bad, it's horrendous
>>
>>94991217
Too much focus on Captain Hero later on in the series.
I don't like how some of the cast become side-characters, either. It's really jarring.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iegUm3H9ti8
>>
>>94991217

Too much slob "humor."
>>
>>94991217
What was the Pig a parody of?
South Park?
>>
>>94991642
Crude flash cartoons on Newgrounds
>>
>>94991468
>great voice actor
>dumbass superhero = plenty of stories to try out
but I get what you mean. I don't think Xandir really ever got his own story, I can't remember anything from Ling Ling in season 3 other than the Uncle Ben thing and I don't think Spanky ever got his own story until the Charlotte's Web parody
I think Xandir also kinda disappeared into the background for most of s3

>>94991642
parody of internet flash cartoons
I think it's mostly the napster mascot
>>
File: waterdoggo hugging landdoggo.webm (2MB, 344x510px) Image search: [Google]
waterdoggo hugging landdoggo.webm
2MB, 344x510px
>>94991217
It had a few good jokes and benefited from allowing itself to be genuinely offensive for comedic value but it ran out of ideas fast. Every joke was just a play on the tropes that each character was supposed to represent which got stale pretty quickly. Theres only so many "xander is gay" "Foxxy is black" or "toot is fat" jokes before it stopped being funny
>>
>>94991217
It was just a less intelligent south park with a different coat of paint with the only thing going for it being a great idea with terrible execution.
They weren't even actual parodies of the cartoon types they were supposed to be parodies of.
"lol, link is gay."
"lol, spongebob is a homicidal maniac."
Just corrupted joke versions that everyone has made jokes about them.
>>
>>94991217
I for one loved how it parodied so many of the cartoons I grew up with but some of the jokes fell flat and got old after a while.

It might have benefited the show to get a different cast every few episodes to keep it fresh.

The show's biggest problem in my opinion is that it completely threw subtlety out the window and had absolutely no seriousness to it.

Some serious moments mixed in with all the zany moments would have made the zany moments all the more sweet.

Captain Hero could have been more self righteous and actually want to do good but failing without going into being a straight up douche bag

Clara could have been more subtle instead of a straight up bigot

Foxy didn't have to be a living stereotype

In general tone down every character and make the humor more subtle and less slapstick
>>
It had some seriously fucking genius gags in it and they were mostly overshadowed by the raunchy humor. It all worked together very well but the prevalence of the sex and fart jokes kinda kept it down.
>>
>>94991217
Nope, it was great. I love dark humor, I don't mind shock comedy, and I don't give a fuck about anybody's fee fees. Just make fun of everybody and push those boundaries. Same reason I always liked South Park (especially before it got all preachy and up its own ass)
>>
>>94992218
This too

Raunchy humor is ok with me but like I said before not everything needs to be turned up to 11

Also the writers need a major lesson on how to be funny and not just stupid and how to not beat a dead horse
>>
Some great jokes in that show that a lot of people didn't notice because they focused on only the raunchy stuff. Even if you hate it the worst episodes are leagues better than anything from the newer era animation domination shows. If you want to talk about over ran jokes there's only so many times I can take Stewie is gay. Brian's a douche etc
>>
>>94991450
This exactly. At its best I cannot wait to show it to my friends/family. At its worst I feel ashamed to have even watched it myself.
>>
File: 1297623859296.jpg (44KB, 488x410px) Image search: [Google]
1297623859296.jpg
44KB, 488x410px
>>94992345
So many people here talk about the raunchiness bringing down the quality, and I get that, but I ultimately disagree.

The thing that makes the show stand out to me is that it went after taboo humor with a samurai-like intensity. It wasn't lazy beat-by-beat shock humor like you'd see on Brickleberry or Family Guy. They picked on the retarded, made Jew jokes, turned the princess into /pol/ incarnate, and highlighted ghetto trashiness found in the black urban community. They'd come back to these things multiple times, and see each occurrence as a chance to cut deeper.

After the fairly shitty first season, it was like an animated version of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, where virtually everyone was irredeemably horrible, but each in their own unique way.

>>94992148
>Captain Hero could have been more self righteous and actually want to do good but failing without going into being a straight up douche bag

>Clara could have been more subtle instead of a straight up bigot

>Foxy didn't have to be a living stereotype

You either don't remember what made the show work or you're just playing dumb. Captain Hero pretty much was that guy in season one, and you couldn't mine those jokes further. So they turned him into an autistic bro figure, and it was great. Clara removing the veil of "niceness" and just being a posh racist got better with every episode. And Foxy was a stereotype, but she was also one of the few characters that wasn't retarded 24/7. She was the voice of reason in a ton of episodes, and she was still a ghetto-trash slut.

There just isn't another show like it out there today and that's tragic.
>>
File: NedFlanders1322.gif (24KB, 689x550px) Image search: [Google]
NedFlanders1322.gif
24KB, 689x550px
>>94992712
Pretty much this. The show had almost no tangible agenda attached to it besides making these characters as horrible as possible and doing dark/mean humor without taking the easy routes of edginess. That's the good shit right there.
>>
>>94992712
Maybe I need to watch it again then.

But I always got the feeling that they could have dialed the nonstop jokes back just a little bit because when it's shenanigans and shock 24/7 the entire thing loses its impact.
>>
>>94992815
Not him, but the fact that they didn't pull any punches was what made Drawn Together what it is. If they dialed the shock humour back, it would've been as generic as any other adult cartoon for me.
>>
Couldn't tell you; I was too busy jerking off with my best friend when this show was on.

All I can remember is his dick, Foxxy, and Toot.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0fXt1-GQfY
>>
>>94991217
it was excellent up until the Mall multi-parter, after that it started running on fumes
>>
>>94993202
I disagree. Charlotte's Web of Lies, Breakfast Food Killer, Drawn Together Babies, and Nipple Ring-Ring Goes to Foster Care were all pretty great to me.
>>
>>94991217
I'm watching this series right now. There's a couple of episodes that made me bust a gut, like the role play for Xandir's parent's episode, but most of the time it's just edgy humor and gore for the sake of being edgy. I say it's mediocre.
>>
It's hilarious. It's creative with it's raunchiness quite a lot
>>
File: hrm.png (171KB, 244x357px) Image search: [Google]
hrm.png
171KB, 244x357px
>>94991217
>Am I alone in thinking this show is brilliant?
Funny maybe, but definitely not brilliant. Its bread and butter was everything low-brow and gross.

>The jokes, pacing, and overall well done blending of the separate genres together seamlessly?
I don't agree but it's hard to say there's a right or wrong way to do parody. I think it put recognizable archetypes into stereotypical reality-show scenarios while playing with taboo. In that way, it was the best at what it did (just not what I am into).
>>
>>94993340
>im too smart for this humour

People like you tend to have the most boring pedestrian tastes in media.
>>
>>94993407

Maybe I was too pompous in my criticism. I don't think I'm too smart for any kind of humor. Just because a show is low-brow doesn't mean it's for brainlets, it's just hard to do well and for every joke that landed it felt like there were two more just for the sake of being edgy or gross. It felt like SJW pandering for people who get mad about SJWs. Jew joke, black joke, fat joke, gay joke, retard joke, asian joke, nazi joke, poop joke; the main cast was really one-note and while any one of these could be funny it chose quantity over quality.

Favorite cartoons in no particular order: morel orel, XRA, duckman, OTGW, superjail, and harvey birdman

maybe that's bland for /co/ but if you have some uncommon recommendations I love to see new shit
>>
For some reason I liked when they did more innocent visual jokes, like when Clara hits Foxxy in the head with a bottle and Foxxy's head shatters like crystal while nothing happens to the bottle
>>
>>94995868
I like when captain hero's balloon falls to the ground, and his ice cream flies into the sky.
>>
>>94991217
It was definitely the best show "for adults" ever made.
>>
>>94991450
This, just like 4chan.
>>
File: image.png (577KB, 773x407px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
577KB, 773x407px
>>
>>94991217
Only thing I wasnt big on was the movie. Felt like they wrote the story out of spite. The flash animation certainly didn't help, either.
>>
>Oh my god, he's got a Portirican credit card!
>>
>>94998672
>It's a gun

Goddamn I loved this show.
>>
>>94991217
I think what made Drawn Together work for me was that it mixed crude and offensive humour with cartoonish slapstick. It wasn't under any pretense of having to be grounded to reality like most other adult cartoons, and instead took advantage of the fact that its cartoon in full force.
>>
I hated how obvious it was that Hero, Clara and Foxxy were the "main" characters and everyone else was just one joke repeated over and over.
>>
>>94998574
The movie was by far the worst part of the show.
>>
>>94991217
Eh, it both has its flaws and cringe moments in episodes, but also strokes of brilliance and 10/10 executed scenes.

There's definitely a lot that can be learned from it especially since it's still quality entertainment as a whole so many years later.
>>
File: Toot Braunstein.jpg (111KB, 491x267px) Image search: [Google]
Toot Braunstein.jpg
111KB, 491x267px
I liked how they simply didn't give a fuck and parodied characters people just forgot with time... still hated that certain mains lost focus as the seasons went by.

Fuck, even Toot became the "good" character eventually and even won sometimes, when she was supposed to be "the bitch".
>>
I would not have minded to see 2 more seasons (instead of the movie)
>>
File: 1439246554345.gif (3MB, 428x308px) Image search: [Google]
1439246554345.gif
3MB, 428x308px
>>94996255
Aye
>>
I just think the gags they did with the different characters they have imitated extremely well.
When Clara is telling a story, she's doing it like a fairy tale book reading, when Zander gets into a fight, it looks like an actual boss fight setup. When Wooldor fucks around, it's like any other cartoon character being put in zany physics-breaking hi-jinks. And when they involve the other characters inside these, they also seamlessly transition into that style. You'd think it'd be awkward but comes off as completely natural.
>>
>>94993340
How is (pic related) show named? Wanna look up for rule34 on the protagonist, but cant remember the name.
>>
File: IMG_4821.jpg (56KB, 528x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4821.jpg
56KB, 528x384px
>>
>>94991701
>I don't think Xandir really ever got his own story, I can't remember anything from Ling Ling in season 3 other than the Uncle Ben thing and I don't think Spanky ever got his own story until the Charlotte's Web parody

Xandir had a few stories off the top of my head:
>Gay Bash
>The story about him wanting to spend a day at the zoo
>Roleplay episode to help him come out to his parents
>Affair with Hero's alter ego Tim Tommerson
>Becoming a hobo
>His jealousy of Hero's corpse GF in the movie

Ling-Ling had the Uncle Ben thing in season 3 and in addition to that he had the episode about going to Mexico with Toot and the episode where he wants to become a dancer.

As for Spanky, he had more than just the Charlotte's Web episode over the course of the series.

>Betting on fixed fights with Captain Hero
>Shitting on Pizza ep
>The story about Entertainment Weekly
>Bullying Wooldoor to kill Clara's animals
>Making Ling-Ling a sweatshop slave
>Gay marrying Xandir for health insurance
>Having a problem with South Park-esque morals in the movie
>>
>>94992712

>Dat's almost as bad as our country's refusing to sign the Kyoto protocol! Uhh, I mean black black, blackety black. There, you happy?
>>
>>95004769
>>Soon I'll have more arms than the wackiest god in India!

>>Fuck you duck! Ha predator of the deep my ass!
>>
Was i the only one who got a boner during the Princess and Foxy lesbo episode?
>>
>>95004828

>I get the gist of what you are saying, I thank you for your hearty congratulations and I'll accept this strange trophy as a token of my impressive victory *takes the AIDS quilt and the raffle box*
>>
DON'T MAKE ME SUCK YOUR DICK!
>>
>>94991450

This.

Some of the worst eipsodes involved Xander and Captain Hero stuff. Ming was pretty bad but fun when he was teamed up with the pig. The slave episode where he got paid in honor was great.
>>
File: haha whee.jpg (23KB, 363x363px) Image search: [Google]
haha whee.jpg
23KB, 363x363px
>>94991810
>word for word criticism from Mr.Enter
Get better taste in content creators, and learn to think for yourself. Don't care if you dislike the show, but seriously, get on that.
>>
I can never remember who voiced that Spongebob ripoff.
>>
Agreeing with you on the /co/ntrarian board? Good luck with that.
>>
>>94992770
>The show had almost no tangible agenda attached to it besides making these characters as horrible as possible and doing dark/mean humor without taking the easy routes of edginess.
I mean, the final show/movie was centered around "finding a point" for the show. They flat out admitted that there didnt need to be some deep meaningful commentary, just funny toilet humor
>>
>>94998597
>Felt like they wrote the story out of spite

That'd be because they did. So much of the movie and the DVD extras can be summed up as "Comedy Central can suck a fat dick".

Granted, I like the movie fine for what it is, though I agree that the flash animation was a huge step down.
>>
Octopussoir ruined the princess character for me.
>>
>>94999506
Damn right.
>>
>>94991217
This show was ahead of its time in so many ways.
>>
>>94991217
puerto-rican credit card
>>
>>95006141
But that was literally the second episode.
>>
>>94992712
>It wasn't lazy beat-by-beat shock humor like you'd see on Brickleberry or Family Guy.
>They picked on the retarded, made Jew jokes, turned the princess into /pol/ incarnate, and highlighted ghetto trashiness found in the black urban community
Family Guy and Brickleberry did THE EXACT SAME SHIT nothing DT did was innovative or even that daring when you considered in premiered during the boom of adult centric animation in general, hell it was actually LESS funny than the shit that was airing at the same time.
>>
>>95005966
James Arnold Taylor. He's got an insane range but he takes any job (he was in Food Fight if I recall) so he's got about as many bad roles as good ones.
>>
File: fat albert.gif (2MB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
fat albert.gif
2MB, 500x374px
>>95008422
>ahead of its time
>parody of reality TV shows
>>
File: ?.png (84KB, 554x460px) Image search: [Google]
?.png
84KB, 554x460px
>>94991217
>Am I alone in thinking this show is brilliant?
Maybe you and the metric ton of people with shit taste sure but the show was everything wrong with "adult" animation during that time period with its only leverage being its above average animation and being an equal opportuner for everything from sex, nudity, incest, political correctness, etc. which I guess should be commended because there's always a line a show will never trend and quite frankly i applaud a show that doesn't just think showing a penis is the most shocking thing an animated show can do. That being said this show had some incredibly lazy humor since every character was just a walking punchline you can see where things were going to go a mile away and upon rewatching the show it was unsurprising how very little I laughed (by season three it was nothing by flops since it was obvious that the staff knew they were getting canned) and while I can say that the show never utilized its reality show aspects to its "full potential" given that reality TV is dead I can say that it avoided that landmine so it wouldn't age as poorly as something like TDA (though the first season is hilariously dated now). So in the end I wouldn't call it brilliant just one of the many flop shows that came about due to South Park's success trying to capitalized on offensive comedy forgetting why it worked so well for SP to begin with, some may say that the show's brand of "don't give a shit" humor is enough, some may say it was more clever than people will ever give it clever for, others may say they just wanted to fap to the girls but by the end of the day you could do better,

I wouldn't mind a revival if it was done by Rough Draft Studios with the same cast since they all seem to be close sans Adam Corolla who just seem to disowned the show as a whole (just as well since Spanky was a shitty character) but they'll have to reformat the show given that reality tv is dead.
>>
>>95008879
>forgetting he was *whipcrack* himself
>>
The voice actors, certainly Cree Summer and Tara Strong love the show and the characters for the outrageous things they got to say.
>>
File: sdfa.gif (201KB, 160x149px) Image search: [Google]
sdfa.gif
201KB, 160x149px
>>94991217
It was really before it's time imo.
>>
>>95010752
I'm surprised that Cree Summers was in that weird Ginger Snaps ABC thing.
>>
>>94991217
>Trump border joke
>Bill Cosby is a rapist joke
It's bizarre seeing jokes made in a mid-00's cartoon having more relevance than they did 10 years prior.
>>
>>95011962
>Trump border joke
That shit had nothing to do with building a wall
>Bill Cosby is a rapist joke
That shit has been throw around for years hell I think Family Guy made a joke about it
>>
>>94991217
Funny? Yes. Brilliant? You have to be fucking kidding.
>>
File: image.png (733KB, 680x880px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
733KB, 680x880px
>>
>>95013719
that's pretty fucking funny.
>>
>>95013719
I love their dark sense of humor
>>
File: image.png (213KB, 512x382px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
213KB, 512x382px
>>
>>95008852
t. someone who hardly watched drawn together
>>
>>94991217
I want to molest spanky ham
>>
>>95008852
The offensive humour of Family Guy and Brickleberry were usually quick throwaways that any frat boy could make, though. Drawn Together was a lot more elaborate about it in a way thats only comparable to South Park's most daring episodes.
>>
I remember how this show gave me a daddy/daughter fetish
>>
>>95014212
Clara and her father or Foxxy's need for one?
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 350x251px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 350x251px
>>
>>94991217
It has its moments, but you can tell that it ran out of fuel quickly. After a while it becomes the same racism/fat/gay jokes over and over. I certainly wouldn't call it genius, but it's still a pretty good show.
>>
>>95015467
GUUUUUURL
>>
>>94991468
Clara was just completely brushed aside.
>>
>>94991217
it was awful but something different for his time
>>
>>95016111
Hey Hey Hey
>>
>>95010669
Oh, I didn't forget.
>>
>>95014191
>The offensive humour of Family Guy and Brickleberry were usually quick throwaways that any frat boy could make, though.
All the more ironic when DT was popular amongst college dorms at that time (something pointed out in the fucking show even) also what the fuck are you talking about? DT's humor was filled with cutaways and cheap parodies.

>Drawn Together was a lot more elaborate about it in a way thats only comparable to South Park's most daring episodes.
Yeah...no, there's nothing in DT that comes close to SP's best or even worse it was very in your face about everything to the point where you can tell where it was going most of the time.
>>
>>94991217
This series could never be brilliant or genius, because that would imply some kind of cleverness or though process.

That's precisely why I'm so fond of it, because it was honest. DT never pretended to be a clever series, a biting satire or something more than it was. It wore it's heart on it's sleeve and openly declare its intentions: to be a neverending parade of gross and dark humor without pretenses, and felt proud of it.

I know the movie is unpopular, but the message they show was a clear definition of what DT always aimed; to be disgusting for the mere sake of being disgusting and with no other motive, just because they could. It has it flaws, a lot actually, but because of that it will always have a place in my heart.
>>
>>95008834
Ruined
>>
>>95005725
Enter is a moralizing faggot that I can stand to listen to when he gets into his rants about morality instead of what's wrong with the episode.
But he isn't wrong in this instance.
>>
>>95017459
*can't

Goddammit.
>>
File: image.png (119KB, 350x201px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
119KB, 350x201px
>>
>>94991217
this show was amazing.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 350x262px
>>
>>95016860
Don't forget they did an episode where she had it surgically removed and got a normal pussy.

Well, until she kept getting it surgically enhanced to the point where she went too far and it just turned into Joan Rivers.
>>
File: Foxxy_turns_into_a_whore.png (975KB, 1274x936px) Image search: [Google]
Foxxy_turns_into_a_whore.png
975KB, 1274x936px
>>95016853
This is the smartest post in this thread. Yeah that show was absolute trash but there was an effort to make it so because you can tell the creators just wanted to make the most offensive show out there to which they did at the expense of making a good one. DT is a show I respect more so than I can say I enjoy because it embellishes everything that can be done with TV animation is there is no line and what can I say any show that's self aware enough to know that its audience are masturbating to its characters is A-OKAY in my book.
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.