[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dave Sim saved comics creators from being indentured serfs for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0755.jpg (374KB, 960x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0755.jpg
374KB, 960x1200px
Dave Sim saved comics creators from being indentured serfs for the big 2 but nobody cares because he won't accept feminist philosophy.

It's one of the greatest shameful things in indi comic and Chester Brown, Joe Matt, Seth and a bunch of other people should be ashamed for leaving him to hangout to dry.
>>
File: IMG_0737.jpg (255KB, 630x922px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0737.jpg
255KB, 630x922px
If it wasn't for Sim we wouldn't have TMNT, usagi yojimbo or Image Comics.
>>
>>94839819
Nobody cares because he went on books long rants that make mras seem like normal people
>>
He called women "voids" in an intellectual and social sense.

Can't really defend that.
>>
>>94841795
You don't have to share or defend his opinions. But you can believe he has as much of a right to hold those opinions as other strongly opinionated comics writers (of whom there are many on the left writing currently) and that his work can stand on its own merits and shouldn't be subject to criticism just because of the beliefs he holds.
>>
>>94842092
Ask yourself if people here'd still purchase a story written by a writer deemed like a huge SJW, regardless of what it entailed.
People should be able to separate authors' personal lives from work. But in the majority of cases they don't.
>>
>>94842196
I can only speak for myself, other people will do what they do. Personally it pisses me off when people post stuff from creators' twitters etc. to try and turn people against their work and turn conversation from the comic/cartoon to the creator and their beliefs. But that does seem to be most of the discussion on /co/ these days unfortunately. It feels like we've become normalfags who want to gossip about celebrities rather than geeks who want to talk about comics and cartoons.
>>
>>94842196
I wouldn't know they were, I don't pay attention to that shit.
>>
>>94842092
>he has as much of a right to hold those opinions
I don't think anybody's saying he doesn't have the right to hold those opinions, they're just calling him out on them being shitty, which they also have the right to do so.
>>
>>94839819
Cerebus is cute
CUTE
>>
>>94842571
Not really possible in Sims' case, since his beliefs were more or less plastered all over his work.
>>
>>94842594
They have the right, but it has a pretty terrible effect on willingness to accept different points of view and that people like Sim should be allowed to speak their mind when the industry as a whole is so biased. I mean I've never seen a comics creator with radical feminist views be subject to a multi-page negative article in The Comics Journal questioning their beliefs complete with a caricature of them as a concentration camp guard.

Absolutely, they can do so and have a right to do so. But it does kinda send the message
>if you have views that deviate from the consensus in our industry, you better keep quiet about them and not air them publicly or we'll smear and blacklist you for it
Which I don't think is in any way a good thing for a creative industry. I like to hear different voices and points of view in our media, otherwise you're at risk of creating among the industry the kind of smug, fart-huffing, self-satisfied echo chamber that well... comics kind of IS today.
>>
>>94842092
>his work can stand on its own merits and shouldn't be subject to criticism just because of the beliefs he holds.
That doesn't really apply when the writer uses his work as a mouthpiece for his views, and Dave Sims did exactly that.

You can't really separate Dave Sims views from his work, he literally goes on page long rants about his beliefs and opinions. In doing so he ties his views into the story and thus makes them fair game for criticism. Dave Sim isn't shunned because people disagree with him, he's shunned because he's batshit insane and most authors sensibly do not want to be associated with him.
>>
>>94842196
Morbi's a huge SJW but I'd buy some poppy comics if they were made.
>>
>>94839819
lol Seth and Chester Brown were smart
Sim went full retard and literately threw away any semblance of prestige while everybody warned him to slow the fuck down, he was like "naaaah, I got this senpai, hold my beer"
even Chaykin has more respect and defenders in the industry because burning every single bridge might be like a bad idea?
>>
>>94843285
>That doesn't really apply when the writer uses his work as a mouthpiece for his views, and Dave Sims did exactly that.
It's true, on some occasions he did. But then plenty of current writers on the left do exactly the same in very obvious, soapboxing, awkwardly shoehorned in ways. Does anyone in the industry attack them for doing so? No.

Also it's fair to judge his politicised comics for their political content, but what about all the ones before and since that aren't? People seem to view everything as being tainted.

>he's shunned because he's batshit insane
Having radically different beliefs to you doesn't make someone insane. I've heard Dave talk about his beliefs and while yes, I can understand a lot of people would see them as being objectionable but I don't think they're particularly irrational. Certainly no more so than a lot of other strange beliefs people respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx7RUcwAQ3E
>>
File: image.jpg (370KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
370KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>94842092
>But you can believe he has as much of a right to hold those opinions as other strongly opinionated comics writers (of whom there are many on the left writing currently)

I've always said this.

>Alan Moore's crazy theories about "Idea-space"(which in and of it'self is a repackaging of Plato, Freud and Jung).

>Grant Morrison believing in Aliens from Alpha Centuari abducting him in Katmandu and his belief in "kaos magik"

>Neil Adams doesn't believe in the scientific theory of plat tectonics and continental drift. And he has mad a 50 part YouTube series(on average 10 min each) about his own alternative scientific theory explaining the causes of volcano, earthquakes, ect.
>>
File: 1461662752752.jpg (303KB, 492x1120px) Image search: [Google]
1461662752752.jpg
303KB, 492x1120px
>>94842740
>>
>>94844814
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6_9bldsaxA
is this kino
>>
File: image.jpg (978KB, 2000x1509px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
978KB, 2000x1509px
>>
>>94842196
>>94842092

Yes, I read all the Cerebus issues. I guess what you have to ask is if a comic or show you used to love descended into being quite literally nothing but rants on the author's extreme SJW views nonstop issue after issue, would you keep buying them or being invested in the series? Even when a creator just tweets something SJW here people won't shut up about it and it's very rare that any creator just nakedly turns their work into undisguised rants on their views all the time like Dave did. I can see people seeing "yes that do haha" but that's the thing, in Reads for example and other issues after, it wasn't just "this story is pushing Dave's agenda" it's "Dave throws everything in the garbage to just rant and ramble on his soapbox for pages," that's really unusual. I guess you should ask: should /co/ not be able to complain about SJW themes here or to choose not to buy SJW books even if the books are nothing else besides SJW rants all of a sudden?

For me, I hate that shit even if I agree with the views. His rants had the addition of being pretty batshit and he may have been schizophrenic which made it more uncomfortable and sad than anything. But he also pretty much abandoned his characters and story and it was frustrating for a lot of us readers.

For what it's worth Dave is pretty brilliant and talented and I feel bad for him. I think he is sick to some degree.
>>
>>94841795
It's accurate way to describe Kate Leth.
>>
>>94843471
The secret religious origin of the universe and endless conspiracies in the last issue seemed crazy. Not more so than some of Alan Moore's ideas, but some of Alan Moore's ideas also seem crazy. I guess the difference is Moore didn't really single out groups like Sim did (and Sim singled out a lot of different groups) as subhuman and enemies. So Moore just seems nutty and most people chalk it up to all the drugs. I do think if Moore started to write about how white people are the Void and they eat the brains of people who aren't white and are just parasites dragging non-whites down a lot of people here would be mad.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.