[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people still keep writing in tropes like this bullshit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 286
Thread images: 20

File: stop doing this writers.jpg (127KB, 752x620px) Image search: [Google]
stop doing this writers.jpg
127KB, 752x620px
Why do people still keep writing in tropes like this bullshit to show how great a character is?

You telling me someone who just walked by someone who's doing work is going to know everything that they've been trying to do and they're magically going to just have the solution right there without even hesitating or asking what's going on?
>>
>>94838230
>She'll never smudge your dry erase board.
>>
Because there's an audience for it. Womanchildren like this sort of thing.

Get over it because you don't have to read it. There were years of Liefeldian comics where macho fuck heads kill everyone with effortless skill and bullshit powers like a five year old playing pretend. I can accept the woman equivalent existing because I don't have to read it and there are plenty of comics aimed at slightly more mentally adjusted adults.
>>
>>94838295
You have to go back.
>>
>still keep writing
All I can think of is Mulan moving the shogi (?) and Zuckerberg exiting the class while nailing the question. It's not as common as you think.
>>
>>94838230
Something like this happened in TNG's 'The Battle', where Wesley waltzes into sickbay, literally glances at some readings Dr. Crusher was working on and from that determines what they are and how they work, then on his way out the door, smugly chuckles "Adults."

Wheaton said that was the moment in show in the show that he realized why people hated Wesley.

To more specifically answer your question about why people do it, it's a quick and easy/lazy way of showing how awesome a character is, that they can stroll into a situation that experts had been struggling with and immediately understand everything well enough to solve the issue. Look at how awesome Character McKnowledge is! They're so smart they don't have to study or familiarize themselves with what's being researched at all!
>>
>>94838230
Because they know how to write and you don't.

Fucking eh, this is basically the opening reel for Good Will Hunting, which won an Oscar for Best Screenplay. You didn't complain about that. Then again Matt Damon has a penis.
>>
>>94838346
Exactly that kind of bullshit, it's so absolutely obnoxious that I have no idea how anyone can write it and think it's a good idea
>>
>>94838325
Tell them where to go back, son.
>>
>>94838334
It's not common, but it happens a lot. There's threefold reasons for it. First, it's a quick/lazy way of establishing how smart/awesome a character is. Second, it's done to move the plot along. You either waste pages or script space showing the character painstakingly study the problem (then they don't look smart if they have to put in effort) or you just show it happening and move on. Thirdly, it's what happens when ordinary people try to write smart people. It's not easy, so often intelligence is treated like a superpower, or like the smart character has already read the script.

Anyone got the picture of smart people being written by smart people versus smart people being written by dumb people?
>>
>>94838402
Back to the past

Samurai Jack
>>
>>94838380
I can't believe OP actually made a image macro for this shit.
That's just being autistic.
>>
File: 1501739568989.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1501739568989.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>94838412
>It's not common, but it happens a lot
>>
>>94838230
>You telling me someone who just walked by someone who's doing work is going to know everything that they've been trying to do and they're magically going to just have the solution right there without even hesitating or asking what's going on?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm telling you. Get over it.
>>
>>94838513
I realized that fuckup after I hit post. I could bullshit some semantics, but go with this instead:

"It's not super-common, but it does crop up frequently enough to notice...."
>>
>>94838230
Back in college when I was struggling with a math problem, my teacher or the tutor would do that. They'd just stand behind me, staring at my paper; after a few seconds, they'd instantly know what I was doing wrong and how it could be corrected. Does it mean that they are great? No. Just that they've already deal with a problem similar to what I was trying to solve.

Is it too much to for you to imagine that other people might have already encountered and solved whatever problem you might be dealing with?
>>
>>94838230

>It's actually a plot twist to sabotage the equation in an innocent manner, in order to delay progress on a project

This seems like a trope that could very easily be subverted.
>>
George Dantzig once solved two unsolvable statistical problems for homework.
>>
>>94838402
Go to /pol/, tumblr or the hell.
>>
>>94838380
Good Will Hunting is an overrated piece of shit for faggot leftists. So is Matt Damon.
>>
>>94838550
>I could bullshit some semantics
Please don't.
>>
>>94838501
I think it's good.
>>
>>94838380
>Fucking eh, this is basically the opening reel for Good Will Hunting, which won an Oscar for Best Screenplay.
Yes, that was in fact the origin of the trope, and it's been referenced and parodied a million times.

>>94838593
Yes, and that's supposedly the indirect influence for the movie.
>>
>>94838230
Source?
>>
>>94838295
>Because there's an audience for it. Womanchildren like this sort of thing.
You mean, Super heroes who are super smart and do thing better than other? I thought all cap-comic readers enjoyed this.
>>
>>94838346
Pretty sure people hated Wesley because of Will Wheton. There's nothing wrong with having your character be the smartest guy in the room or even being smug about being the smartest guy in the room and there's nothing wrong about using visual shorthand to get a point across.
>>
>>94838732
>it's good
No it's not, it's bunch of unfunny quuips about how girls ruin everything.
>>
>>94838325
>throwing a fit over things that don't affect you in any way just because they offend your personal sensibilities
Funny, it sounds like you're the one who needs to go back somewhere.
>>
>>94838295
>Womanchildren

this, a lot of people actually donĀ“t know womanchildren are a thing now
everytime you see something cringe as this, remember the existence of womanchildren
>>
>>94838380
Yes, but the point of the scene in Good Will Hunting is to showcase how smart he is to set up a story revolving around his self-destructive behaviors.
>>
>>94838769

I think you're incorrect on this front. At the time he got the TNG gig, Wheaton was a more or less an unknown teenaged actor. There was nothing to hate about him. The character of Wesley was Gene Roddenberry's self-interest (Wesley was even the name he wished he'd been given), was constantly showing up the other characters and saving the ship, so that's why he got the ire of fans. Because he was written badly.

There is nothing wrong with being the smartest guy in the room or being smug about it (well, that's a character flaw). It's how it's presented. Wesley was presented as being super-duper smart and special. He got to fly the ship during crises. He was allowed onto the bridge. He repeatedly saved the ship when the experienced crew - who were supposed to be the main characters - were helpless. That is bad writing and it's why early-TNG Wesley was/is so hated by the fandom and is the poster child for that type of obnoxious wunderkid writing.
>>
>>94838866
>There was nothing to hate about him.
Except for his acting.
>>
>>94838766
>I thought all cap-comic readers enjoyed this.
male cap-comic readers are manchildren, female cap-comic readers are womanchildren, itĀ“s not a hard concept to grasp
>>
>>94838766
No, tumblrina Moffat wholockians love this shit where a character smugly tells all the other characters (and the audience) how fucking smart they are instead of actually doing something smart that the audience can appreciate.
>>
>>94838813
youĀ“re jsut being a whiny bitch, the part with the question mark was hillarious, go back to tumblr
>>
>>94838380
>Janitor solves a long equation after getting an open invitation to try
>Rando eyes over equation with no context on what it's trying to prove and smudges the middle and replaces an entire argument with a new one without correcting anything after it

Yeah, you're not biased at all.
>>
>>94838933
>manchildren and womanchildren read comics
>but actual children do not
>>
>>94838953
It's not some rando, it's Barbara Gordon who is canonical a super genius.
>>
>>94838947
So Batman?
>>
>>94838230
Huh, the "artist" just mirrored the whiteboard on the right panel. That's why it's nonsensical.
>>
>>94838501
Creating OC is now autistic. Let's all go to 9gag and KYM instead.
>>
>>94839001
Batman has been poorly written in this way many times, yes.

Good smart: Batman uses the Riddler's obsession to ensure he'll never disclose his secret identity.
Bad smart: This comic.
>>
>>94839007
It's shit OC.
>>
>>94838501
>>94839007
It's not OC, fucking newfags.
>>
>>94838866
>Wesley was even the name he wished he'd been given
Wesley was Roddenberry's middle name. Other than that, your post was dead on.
>>
>>94839029
>Good smart: Batman uses the Riddler's obsession to ensure he'll never disclose his secret identity.
That's not smart at all.
first of all riddler's whole M.O. is that he wants people to know he's smarter than Batman and now that he has conclusive proof that he is, why the hell wouldn't he disclose it?
>>
>>94838230
I hate how "smart" protagonistd are never smart people. They can't be socially awkward or isolated (unless it's played for laughs and immediately subverted), they can't be too weird, and worst of all they NEVER HAVE A THIRST FOR KNOWLEDGE.

When's the last time you saw a "smart" protag actually try and learn something? Figure out a problem, wrestle with it, and do research to figure out how it works and a solution? Full Metal Alchemist was really good about this but no other series really plays with this. "Genius" in comics is code for "technology wizard". They do magic but it's magic with metal. Tony Stark doesn't even know how the suit HE FUCKING DESIGNED works fully.

Book smart characters are easier, because you can have them blurt out facts and solve problems quickly but even then we never get to actually see them be "smart", just "recite facts".
>>
>>94838380
But in Good Will Hunting, Will is a lowly janitor and that scene is used to show us his intellect despite his station in life. We already know that Batgirl is a genius because she's of the Batfamily and has the brains to be Oracle. There's nothing gained from this scene. Batgirl's smugness doesn't endear her to us, either.
>>
>>94838530
this is a pretty good false flag, anon! roleplaying as the comic's writer is always a good strat.
>>
>>94839080
>first of all riddler's whole M.O. is that he wants people to know he's smarter than Batman and now that he has conclusive proof that he is, why the hell wouldn't he disclose it?

That's the Riddler's point, more or less. Batman counters that a riddle whose answer everyone knows is worthless. Batman's identity is only valuable because it's a secret. Once everyone knows it, it won't be valuable anymore.
>>
>>94839102
Reed Richards in Hickman's run.
>>
>>94839080
And also it still would mean that Riddler won, The riddler knowing that Brice wayne is Batman is pretty much game over for Batman.
>just painted a huge target on my loved ones and myself
>the riddler can attack his company and anything connected to it
>and Batman can't do anything about it
>>
>>94839102
Peter Parker in JMS' Amazing Spider-Man.
>>
File: 1491020484682.jpg (22KB, 397x353px) Image search: [Google]
1491020484682.jpg
22KB, 397x353px
>>94838837
The real problem is, womanchildren aren't judged even half as harshly as manchildren are. I for one am not opposed to the idea of fiction openly pandering to childish, emotionally stunted nerd women. Japan panders to fujos just as much as they do yurifags and other types weebs, but of course in the West female nerds' whinining gets treated as God's Word whereas male nerds are told to shut up every time.

Many of the current drama regarding sexism/racism/etc. could be solved if we could simply admit we are all horrible and miserable people to the core, no exceptions.
>>
>>94839185
That would be fine if the Riddler were an ordinary dude but he's obsessed with riddles.
>>
>>94839135
>Batman counters that a riddle whose answer everyone knows is worthless.
EXCEPT THE RIDDLER WOULD BE ETERNALLY FAMOUS FOR FIGURING THAT BRUCE WAYNE IS BATMAN.
>>
>>94839135
Makes me wonder why we don't have Riddler in Injustice planning Superman's demise since the guy just ruined the value of the riddle.
>>
>>94839224
So what?
>>
>>94839185
But none of those things are Riddler's schtick. His MO is one uping Batman.

It's why the best thing to happen to the Riddler after he learned Batman's identity was to start up his own detective agency and move the pissing match to a new venue.

He's already outsmarted Bruce Wayne, now he's going to prove he's a better detective.
>>
>>94839232
Prolly got lobotomized from orbit by heat vision.
>>
>>94839210
Meh, nobody really judges manchildren, except other manchildren on the internet, and they don't matter because they're manchildren.

t. manchild
>>
>>94839044
I didn't check if it is or isn't, I just assumed >>94838501 was telling the truth, and I've never seen it before. How does that make me a newfag? Do you even know what the word means?
>>
>>94839211
No he's not, The Riddler is obsessed about being the smartest guy in the room. THE RIDDLES ARE NOT THE END GOAL TO THE RIDDLER, THEY ARE THE MEANS.
>>
>>94838380
>>94838953
Also, I'm surprised nobody mentioned this but Will actually spends the better part of a day reflecting on the problem, he doesn't simply solve it at first glance
>>
>>94838230
Is this supposed to be Babs
>>
>>94839261
But if he told everyone that Batman is Bruce Wayne, there'd be nothing left for him to show. See: >>94839240
>>
>>94839259
>blindly trusting other posts on 4chan

Ah, the naivete of a freshly arrived newfag. Hail summer!
>>
>>94839240
>His MO is one uping Batman.
And disclosing Batman's secret identity would be the biggest one up.
>>
>>94839135
Except, "Who is Batman?" isn't the Riddler's riddle, it's Batman's. By revealing Batman's identity Riddler has outsmarted Batman. Riddler seeks to prove himself smarter than everyone by creating riddles they're not smart enough to solve; posing a riddle to the Riddler means that he has to solve it, as otherwise you prove yourself smarter than him. Riddler not divulging Batman's identity because "a riddle whose answer everyone knows is worthless" is out of character for the Riddler.
>>
>>94839278
So, no, you don't know what newfag means. Thanks for confirming.
>>
>>94838380
>You didn't complain about that.

But I did. Good Will Hunting is overrated garbage
>>
>>94839102
>They can't be socially awkward or isolated
why would they be? you the the antisocial genius trope is just that, right? do you browse tumblrs or something?
>>
>>94838947
This is what I was referring to. Womanchildren are adults who read these cutesy books like Hellcat and Batgirl where there's no legitimate conflict and characters don't have flaws. The kind who go YAAS QUEEN and are usually into social justice as well.

Typically also like Moon Girl and other books that are literally aimed at small children. More people read the books just to crow about how great for kids it is than actual children.

If they like that shit, it's no skin off my ass, though.
>>
>>94839238
So that's what the riddler actually wants, to be officaly recognized as being smarter than Batman.
>>
>>94838346
That's not a very good example; all he said in that episode was that he recognized the readings from engineering as a mysterious signal they couldn't identify. He didn't even figure out the significance of the identical readings.
>>
>>94839296
It's really not. He didn't prove Batman can't solve a riddle he made, he just proved that he could solve a riddle of Batman's.

Regardless, OP's comic is bad smart person writing. At least with the Riddler example, Batman shows his logic and reasoning in a way the audience can appreciate. You might not like the Riddler's characterization, but we are SHOWN instead of TOLD that Batman is Smart. Here, we're shown a bunch of gibberish, told it's smart, and expected to admire Barbara for solving it.
>>
>>94839292
Not really. Batman already know his secrets out and Riddler has what he wants. The Riddler has no need to spread the info he's already proven to his challenger that he is better.

Batman's point is that the more widespread that info goes the less impressive it is. And then every asshole who ever said they thought Bruce Wayne was Batman is now taking credit for having it figured out. Ridder no longer looks clever because everyone is hind-sighting the problem and doesn't care about him anymore.
>>
File: 1467214170120.jpg (14KB, 310x232px)
1467214170120.jpg
14KB, 310x232px
>>94839224
>BRUCE WAYNE IS BATMAN.
Wait what? The guy is millionaire and has a physique of an Adonis. Do you think he would spend all his time in tactical suit with spandex and chase lunatics?
>>
>>94839313
No, he wants to prove to Batman that he is smarter than Batman. That's why he brags to Batman. But telling everyone would make the knowledge commonplace and thus not worth discovering.
>>
>>94838991
No she was pre-n52, but she was a retard in Simone's run
>>
>>94839277
Of course there wouldn't be anything left for him to show, he won. Using the logic you're arguing from Batman doesn't actually need to solve his riddles, because just telling Riddler that his riddles could be solved would be enough to stop him. Hell, by extension Batman pointing out that he could solve the Riddler's riddles would be enough to stop the Riddler from enacting schemes to begin with.
>>
File: upset.png (148KB, 246x349px) Image search: [Google]
upset.png
148KB, 246x349px
>>94839302
Calm down my newfag faggot, no need for your girly histrionics.
>>
>>94839409
>Of course there wouldn't be anything left for him to show, he won
His victory would be destroyed. He'd go from "I know this thing no one else does!" to "I know this thing literally everyone knows."
>>
>>94839307
>Batgirl where there's no legitimate conflict and characters don't have flaws
That's bullshit.
That's such bullshit anon because Batgirl of Burnside did have legitimate conflict and she legitimately a fully developed character but fucks like you actively spread disinformation about the book and /co/ falls for it because /CO/ DOESN'T READ COMICS.
Man I remember assholes like you IN the batgirl storytime just shitposting and you guys always brought the discussion dow
>>
You guys realize its like at most 50 of you retards arguing in circles in every one of these threads right? There are 33 of you ITT.

Stop being so triggered by literally everything.
>>
>>94838991
Even Einstein would need to reflect on a problem and get the proper context to what it's trying to prove. Forgetting all of that, putting a random argument in the middle of a complex equation won't suddenly fix the thing. You'll need to correct every single thing trailing off of that argument including many more issues that could be placed all over that board. Unless all she corrected was something a tired researcher would write like 2*6 = 6.
>>
>>94839454
Lurk more.
>>
>>94839477
Hey, I READ Batgirl, I even evangelized it here, but the first 10 or so issues absolutely lacked good conflict. When Babs got in a fight she would always win without taking a hit.

I think it was Daguerotype or whatever she was called where there started being a longterm conflict.

Still it doesn't deserve comparison to Hellcat, so I'll admit that was uncalled for.
>>
>>94839502
Speak English.
>>
>>94839331

This was an episode that Wheaton specifically references as an example of why even he hated Wesley and how badly the character was written to come off as super-smart, so it's a pretty fair example.

>Wheaton admits that he understands where the fans' hatred comes from and lays the blame firmly at the feet of the writers for making the character seem pretentious, through dialogue and through their tendency to have Wesley deduce answers too easily, as in the episode TNG: "The Battle"' when Wesley made everyone else (including, in Wheaton's own words, "the hypersmart robot") look ridiculous by too easily solving the problem from just "glancing" at sensor readings that no one else could solve. According to Wheaton, even he hated Wesley after these kinds of scenes.
>>
>>94839560
If you don't what lurk more means, it means you have to lurk more.
>>
>>94839481
>Even Einstein would need to reflect on a problem and get the proper context to what it's trying to prove.
IT'S FICTION
More importantly it's a superhero cape comic and this is literally one panel from the comic that /co/ took offense because it was during a time /co/ would shit on their mom if they thought she was a feminist. The only reason OP has that image macro is because of those threads the fact that>>94838295 the second response tells me that /co/ still can't suspend their disbelief for women who is supposed to be smart.
>>
>>94839569
I have to think he's remembering the scene wrong (or I am!); Wesley doesn't solve the problem, he just brings new information to Dr. Crusher from a place she wouldn't expect and it's her who solves it.
>>
File: I'm Garrus Vakarian.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
I'm Garrus Vakarian.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
>>94838230
>Eraser right there
>Puts saliva on whiteboard
>>
File: snap8035.jpg (10KB, 218x230px)
snap8035.jpg
10KB, 218x230px
>>
>>94838380
>You didn't complain about that
No, your strawman didn't complain. I complained plenty because it was a mockery of what I work hard to do every day. i get they had to dumb it down for movie audiences, but really they're dumbing it down for movie producers, who think audiences are as dumb as they are, or dumber.
>>
>>94839680
>because it was a mockery of what I work hard to do every day
You must be fun at parties. By fun I mean insufferable of course.
>>
>>94839351
>>94839455
Riddler still gets credit for being the person who proves that Bruce Wayne is Batman; what is being said is like arguing that someone shouldn't win a Nobel Prize in chemistry because once they submit their research for publishing anyone can do it.

>>94839348
Except if it relies entirely on an out-of-character behavior by another it's not really a matter of logic and reasoning, it's an asspull that the writer is trying to justify. Riddler already told Hush Batman's secret identity, so either Riddler didn't believe that keeping the information hidden had intrinsic value or he believed that revealing the information had value. Riddler also works under a compulsion, those aren't ignored until someone points it out.
>>
>>94838230
She doesn't even know how to use the eraser.
>>
>>94839612
>It's Fiction
>People don't like it because feminism
>It's cap shit

There's suspending disbelief then there's being a slack jawed fucktard. I can suspend my disbelief that Oracle builds a super computer over a span of time and does support with her tech wizardry

I cannot suspend my disbelief that Babs 'solves' a math problem by replacing a single equation like she found the missing jigsaw piece on the ground and popped it into place just to show how super smart she is.
>>
>>94839102
You should actually try reading some Fantastic Four comics sometime, because Reed Richards does that all the time.
>>
>>94839770
Theb you're a fucking idiot who is obsessing over a minor detail.
>>
>>94839613
The 'hypersmart robot' bit was part of a now-disappeared review, where Wheaton sat down and watched each of the first season episodes again and commented on them, so he wrote it based on his recollections and watching the episode. I watched a review of it a couple weeks ago, so it's a bit fresh in my mind, too.

He talks a little bit about it here, but the links to the actual review are all dead.
http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbackup/2007/02/tng_review_at_t.html

Identifying what the sensor info was, was all but solving the problem. Wesley ID'd the signal that had stumped engineers and physicians, pointed out where it was coming from (all via the experience from his side science project), which none of the crew had been able to do. Dr. Crusher didn't solve anything; they just have Picard blow up the device driving him insane. Which the couldn't have done if Wesley hadn't happened to walk into sickbay and glance at a computer screen.
>>
>>94838380
Yeah but that was done with a little fucking grace, at least.

This is hamfistedly pretending to be as clever. But it doesn't even have the balls to show PART of an equation, so you know the writer isn't even smart enough to pretend to be smart.
>>
>>94839936
It bears repeating that Wesley is Gene Roddenberry's middle name
>>
>>94839612
Something being fiction doesn't protect it from being FUCKING RETARDED. That's like somebody farting out the "that's my opinion" bullshit like it offers protection.

Shit fiction is shit. If somebody's writing a super-smart character and cannot do it WELL, they're not even smart enough to even fit the situation to perfectly show them off or make up shit to make them look smart.

If your whole goal is to make somebody look smart, but it's done so fucking stupidly that it looks moronic, then that is bad writing. If the board said 2+2=X and she wrote in "X=5" and everyone pretending it was right and the book treated it like genius, then that is the same fucking problem. And the problem is shit writing and BAD. FUCKING. FICTION.
>>
>>94839934
>Minor detail
>AM SMARTEST AND STRONEST AND MOS BETIFUL OB DEM ALL

This is why I unironically enjoy the Squirrel Girl reboot. Despite the art the writer at least understands that flawed characters are more interesting to read. I don't want to follow the unimaginably wonderful woman as she crushes all problems without going off model. It's boring and uninspired, anyone can write such cliched garbage.
>>
>>94839770
Some people don't know what being smart actually looks like, but they try to write it anyway. Look at Moon Girl. Jesus christ that's a train wreck.
>>
>>94840367
>If the board said 2+2=X and she wrote in "X=5" and everyone pretending it was right and the book treated it like genius, then that is the same fucking problem
Except that's not at all what's close tobehat happen. You're making the assumption that she's wrong and the book praise her regardless.
>>
>>94838295
It doesn't have to be a woman who does it, brainlet. I hate this stuff when men do it too
>>
Did no one tell Babs Tarr to stop drawing Barbara as though it were morally necessary to slap that expression off her face?
>>
File: page_process_022.jpg (241KB, 1200x891px) Image search: [Google]
page_process_022.jpg
241KB, 1200x891px
>>94839663
I mean for fucks sake the rougher gave her a mild smile
>>
>>94840368
Babs is a canon super genius, she always has been.
>>
>>94838295
"Womanchildren" also do not buy any comics.
They only female-aimed comic that sells decently is DC Superhero Girls and that's for actual kids.
>>
>>94841444
If that were true, they wouldn't keep producing them, genius.
>>
>>94841806
That's cause DC is afraid of feminists.
>>
>>94838961
Actual children wouldn't be able to afford it, for the most part.
>>
>>94842024
Maybe the poor kids...
>>
>>94838866
Didn't they make Wesley into a complete fuck up later on with what happened at the Academy and him being an asshole
>>
>>94838295
>>94838295

I never understood the Macho criticism of Liefeld, because Liefeld was very equalitarian in his ridiculousness. I dont think his Cable or Deadpool or Shatterstar were less ridiculous than his Domino or Boom Boom, I would even say the opposite. His women were even fully clothes generally.
>>
>>94840390
How bad is it?
>>
>>94838571
no, it's too much for him to imagine an attractive woman doing it.
>>
File: 1436956996517.gif (52KB, 420x600px)
1436956996517.gif
52KB, 420x600px
>>94839110
>Batgirl's smugness doesn't endear her to us
Speak for yourself, the idea of a smug Batgirl mocking her villains would be fun.
>>
>>94839258
i donĀ“t know dude, i think the anon has a point, the stereotype of the loser nerd is really strong, in pop culture ingeneral and in comics in particular, the geek who read comics is by definition a disgusting human being, i donĀ“t know if the same can be applied to "geek girls" i think thereĀ“s some kind of double standar in there
>>
>>94838513
Quality reaction face.

>>94838550
Quality response. Well done, fellow faggots.
>>
>>94838230
It's the old-as-fuck "street smarts are better than book smarts" scene.

It portrays the idea that "even those genius eggheads could miss something so obvious, it just takes the down-to-earth viewpoint of a normal person with REAL, PRACTICAL knowledge to figure out". It makes stupid people feel better about themselves, and less intimidated/resentful of intelligent people, particularly those who are intelligent enough to use their skills to support a nice career.

It's no wonder why it's so popular with women. It reinforces their feelings by supporting idea that STEM fields are just a closed-minded "no girls allowed" club who reject all these qualified women for petty reasons, instead of what STEM fields really are: The education/career path that most women either avoid like the plague, or simply don't qualify for.
>>
>>94838620
MAAAT DAIMONN!
>>
>>94839110
This was probably back when the Oracle days were COMPLETELY retconned out, and written with a new, not long time audience in mind.
>>
>>94843689
Anon this is Barbara Gordon AKA miss book smarts herself. We're talking about a superhero who was a legitimate library lady with a degree in library sciences.
>>
>>94839351
This.

The Riddler is a "game master", but he's also a good sport: If he beats you, he wants you to know that he beat you fair and square, on your own terms.

Dragging you through the dirt in public and smearing your name after beating you is just gloating, and gloating is for desperate people who are proud of a victory they struggled for. Gloating shows that you felt your opponent was superior all along, but you overcame the odds.

The Riddler almost never feels like his opponents have the upper hand (to a fault sometimes). He doesn't care about gloating, or fame, or admiration. The opinions of the dull mass public are worthless to him. In fact, he doesn't even need anyone else to know what happened. Just his opponent. He'll leave the public to wonder why their hero suddenly acts awkward around the Riddler, and suddenly has a begrudging respect for him, because it acts as a constant reminder to his opponent of their failure and his superiority. He's not some crass, despicable villain, just a smarter player than you.

Also, if the game wasn't a pure cakewalk for the Riddler, it makes it all the better. Why get your best opponent disqualified when they gave you the funnest match you've ever played?

He keeps Batman's identity secret, as a way of saying:
>Good game, but as expected, I won. Maybe we can play again sometime, after you git gud.
>>
>>94843929
>the Riddler
>not gloating
NIGGA WHAT!
>>
>>94843929
...ehh
Maybe good guy Riddler would do this but Bad guy Riddler NEEDS to be the smartest guy in the room. He needs other people to know this as well which is why he doing this as the riddler and not some anonymous voice.
>>
File: 1499752790409.jpg (8KB, 216x158px)
1499752790409.jpg
8KB, 216x158px
>>94842815
I've read it.

Moon Girl Doesn't really come off as smart, she comes off as an asshole and huge jerk to everyone around her.
>>
>>94844021
But really an interesting thing about the riddler and he shares this with the joker and batman is his transmutable nature.
Now all comic book characters change but the difference with these three characters
>>
>>94844128
>Finger slipped.
What different is that writers all seem to work from an ideal of who the character and that works it's way into the character archetype.
>>
>>94839370
Go larp somewhere else
>>
>>94839102

I think it says a lot that that's how so many modern characters are but back in the silver age when everything was stupid every single character was a genius who actively put their spare non-heroing time into actual research.

We all make fun of Hal Jordan because he used to always get knocked out cold and make stupid decisions but half the early comics revolved around him actively researching either his powers, or some weird phenomenon, or being able to recreate specific chemicals in his ring on the fly for being smart, and he was literally never intended to be "the smart one" of the hero roster.

It's the difference between smart being a rocket scientist and smart being an ipod designer.
>>
>>94844038
>>94842815
>>94840390

>Moon Girl

I actually admire Moon Girl and take note from it on the basis of how unlikable, awful, smarmy, stuckup, and just in general what a selfish, entitled, terrible character she is.

I'm recycling a Game of Thrones quote, but Moon Girl is a perfect example of, "If you have to tell everyone you're the smartest person on earth, you're clearly NOT the smartest person on earth." Moon Girl is "good" because it accurately portrays the kind of horrible character is produced when someone is given massive amounts of unwarranted self-importance... Moon Girl, though, is "bad", because the writers and publishers lack self-awareness and think they're being "progressive".
>>
>>94839387
This is exactly like that "we'll I couldn't kill the Joker because if I started killing than I might end up just like him" logic. Just admit that the only reason the characters think the way they do is to excuse their reoccurring conflict.
>>
>>94844310
Anon for the love of god put this sequence in proper context.
It's just a fucking gag, that's it and I can't believe how so many people in this thread have taken outrage to this.
>>
>>94838230
It's shorthand for this "character is smart".

What do you expect them to do? Solve actual maths problems in detail? It's a comic book.
>>
>>94838230

Because it's efficient.
>>
>>94838380
>>94839263
This. Will takes time to understand the equation. He doesn't wander in and fart the right answer on the chalkboard. We see him thinking and spending time on it. He's actively trying to solve it, while in OP's scene, and many others, they just vomit something on the board in passing.
>>
>>94838295
Unironically this. It's stupid and puerile, but it's got stupid and puerile precedent.
>>
>>94838230
hearty kek
>>
>>94841806
>Manga industry doesn't do this
>Sales increase constantly
>Western industry does this
>Sales are dying
>>
>>94838230
this was funny and should happen for real in a capeshit comic.
>>
>>94843333
>the geek who read comics is by definition a disgusting human being
You need to move on, that used to be a thing but most people stopped caring about that long ago, especially since comic book related films are one of the most popular now, so even if someone knows nothing of comics they can at least associate them with those. The stereotype stayed on 4chan because most people here either are losers or pretend to be, and everyone else wants to fit in. You don't have to be a geek to be a disgusting human being, it just so happens that those mostly stay at home so there's slightly more of them. And women in general tend to be a bit more moderate with that, for various social reasons, so they are rarely in the "disgusting neckbeard" category, not that it doesn't happen.
>>
>>94838412
There's actually a page that compares smart people being written by smart people and smart people being written by dumb people?
>>
>>94839710
He already proved it to BATMAN.

To the other people, it would be more pleasant for the Riddler to say: "HA HA! I know Batman's identity, and you don't!" without disclosing the secret.
>>
>>94838412
>picture of smart people being written by smart people versus smart people being written by dumb people
I'm intrigued as well.
>>
>>94842718
>11 or so characters on page
>4 separate feet are shown
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>94841444
>They only female-aimed comic that sells decently is

Smile
Drama

Aka the best selling actual comic books.
>>
>>94843898
HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>94838230

Because comic book writers are fucking retards, therefore have no idea what it's like to be smart.
>>
>>94847084
"Smart people written by retards" sums up Moon Girl perfectly.
>>
>>94848531
HAHHAHAA I DON'T REALLY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT COMIC BOOKS HAHHAHHAHA I'M A STUPID FUCKING CASUAL HAHAHHAHAHA
>>
>>94838412
>>94847084
>>94847344

He's talking about this.
>>
>>94848641

He's laughing at you because anyone who would go to college for "library sciences" is a literal retard who couldn't pass trigonometry.
>>
>>94838295
no one buys this shit thats why marvel comics are at a all time low and dc is following close behind,
>>
>>94849818
HOLY SHIT A LIBRARIAN WITH A LIBRARY SCIENCE DEGREE OH MY GOD THAT SO FUCKING FUNNY HAHAHAHAHAH THAT'S SO FUNNY I FORGET THAT WE WERE TALKING>>94843689 ABOUT HOW A LIBRARIAN ISN'T BOOK SMART.
>>
File: tropes.png (61KB, 813x501px) Image search: [Google]
tropes.png
61KB, 813x501px
>>94838230
>>
>>94849896
To be fair to see an error in math at first glance you have to be used to that specific type of an equation. So unless she just happened to read a book on it recently it's bullshit. But at the same time, since I saw several people mention how she only changed one line and not the rest, if that one line was what was preventing them from having proper result then they can easily just change the rest themselves. It's how it usually works, people try to find an error and when they find it the rest is easy to modify, the difficulty is in noticing it. And people who spend a lot of time on something can stop seeing obvious mistakes, it works the same in math, art and pretty much everything else. So yeah I definitely think it was overdone but it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.
>>
>>94838412
>It's not common, but it happens a lot.
it does not. hell one of the first things we accept as we grow up (right after accepting that most people don't have tv houses and that is ok) is that no one is that smooth and you are likely to only have 1-3 moment like that in your whole life
>smart/awesome a character is.
it also often makes them come off as nosey, rude, smug,etc.
> it's done to move the plot along.
so again laziness. could not think of a better way. you could have a montage, it usually takes the same amount of time.
>ordinary people
I refuses to except this, I expect people to be smarter than me but then I watch peoples reactions to newest ep of the hot show and I realize that Hollywood is right
>>
>>94849944
>Anna is a trashcan't

I'm going to start doing that, it sounds like fun.
>>
>>94848909
WTF? i hate Sherlock now!

Nice deconstruction, i never knew why Sherlock felt off to me, now i know why.
>>
This is what happens when people who aren't very bright attempt to write smart characters. They can't think of anything intelligent for the character to do, since they aren't intelligent themselves, so they have the character show-up people who are assumed to be smart by the readers. That way their ditzy MC can appear to be smart, even if the writer has the MC do nothing but make stupid decision after stupid decision. Or say incredibly stupid things. Like Moon Girl's "genius" realization that societies and civilizations are geared towards benefiting the majority and not individual people specifically. It's "brilliant" when a 9 year old suddenly understands concepts that 6 year olds know!
>>
>>94849973
Actually, it's complete bullshit. This is comparable to glancing at a book for the first time and instantly knowing everything it contains.

You can't look at one line of a derivation and see a mistake.

That's not how it fucking works.

The mistakes arise between the lines, as the whole thing is basically just a logical argument.

The author is a retard, and this shit is indefensible.
>>
>>94848909
The Sherlock example sounds more fun, though.
>>
>>94851875
If it's an equation you've seen before just with different values you absolutely can. Is it likely? No. But it's possible.
>>
>>94838991
If she's so smart why is she trying to become a librarian.
>>
>>94839172
or Hell, just Reed Richards in general. Depictions of him from most runs of FF is his quest for knowledge and breakthrough discoveries.
>>
>>94851926

Finish Calc 1 before shitposting about things you know nothing about.
>>
>>94851926
When it comes to higher mathematical equations the answer doesn't matter. It's literally the least important part of the equation. The process to getting to the answer is everything. Just writing the final answer doesn't do anyone a favor and it's probably wrong because no one can do that kind of math in their head.

This says more about how stupid the writer is than how smart the character is.
>>
>>94849973
She has a photographic memory, her mind has been likened to a computer. Barbara Gordon as a character is supposed to be a super genius and the only reason this anon>>94851875 is mad is because they refuse to accept that Barbara Gordon is smarter than the people working on the equation.
>>
>>94852165
I've finished far more than that, but you seem to be stuck on it. They're not writing a random math class equation, they're writing something specific and as such if someone happens to know that specific equation they might be able to spot an error fairly quickly.
>>
>>94852223
Barbara Gordon can.
>>
>>94845388
No. Now what?
>>
>>94838295
>Get over it because you don't have to read it.

OK please give us some classic marvel titles where this pandering isn't going on?

We'll wait.
>>
>>94851987
>access to hot sweaty nerd dick whenever
no matter how old you get, college boys stay the same age
>>
>>94852223
It wasn't an answer, it was an error in one of the lower lines. Look at the panel again.
>>
>>94852325
She'd literally have to be a meta to do it. Even then, the final answer does no one a favor and this is just a stupid person who doesn't understand how math works past arithmetic.
>>
>>94852372
Or maybe just one stupid one anon who totally misread the panel.
>>94852352
>>
>>94851987
Because she believes in libraries as an important institution?
>>
>>94852302
You're lying, because if you had completed even a basic calculus cpurse, you would know exactly how retarded your argument is.
>>
>>94851904
Fun? Sure.
Smart? Not at all. It relies on too many coincidences and lucky breaks to actually happen. It's also needlessly complex within the context of killing three men in a hotel room.
>>
>>94851987
She isn't trying, she already was one.
>>
>>94838230

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>94852396
Have you ever considered the possibility that you're just very stupid? I didn't say it's a common occurrence, I said that it's within the realm of possibility, which as far as comics go means it's completely normal. Quality of the comic is not being disputed right now so if you're just getting butthurt because people point out that the specific argument you're trying to use against is is invalid then you're an idiot.
>>
>>94838766
This every single cape character regardless of race, gender, etc. Is always super smart, super hot, super skilled and has super big dicks
>>
>>94852462
My STEM degree says otherwise, but anyone who's ever done a proof can tell you that's not how math works.

Unless Babs somehow learned how to tap into the speed force off panel, this shit is utterly indefensible and Fuck you for even trying.
>>
>>94852342
>hot sweaty nerd
Pick 2
>>
>>94852734
And yet you're too stupid to know that not every equation has to be ridiculously complicated. In fact seeing how they managed to fit the whole thing on a small board and still keep the equation itself fairly large would suggest that it's one of the simpler ones and they're simply trying to find an error in it. Which can be obvious, but since they likely spent a lot of time doing that and similar things they're too tired to see it. The situation is perfectly reasonable if unlikely, the fact that the writer tries to make it a proof that a character is incredibly smart on the other hand is failure on their part.
>>
>>94852462

What derivation did she see before that has "00?P" under a backwards square root sign? The author's an idiot, and in trying to make Barbara appear intelligent, makes her look like a drooling retard.
>>
>>94852909
I'm going to go ahead and assume that the equation itself was entirely made up by the artist since that's what most likely happened, with some general pointers from the writer. If you really expect a realistic equation in a crappy comic in a panel that barely shows it when it's not even relevant to the story beyond a dumb character promotion by the author then you're retarded. Do you sperg out when porn doesn't feature realistic elements too?
>>
>>94852990
>If you really expect a realistic equation in a crappy comic in a panel that barely shows it

I do. Five minutes on Google Scholar could have given the illustrator infinitely more material than they need.

So, not only is the entire situation stupid to begin with, because that's not how math works, but the illustrator is also a lazy dumbass as well.
>>
>>94853041
It would give them a random equation that would mean nothing and you would whine that the one they used couldn't possibly have been what they were working on. You're complaining that an artist wrote something meaningless in an unimportant panel when there's plenty of artists that use googled images with barely any changes. They are paid to draw not do accurate math, so unless the writer specified the equation, which they clearly didn't, it means that this is perfectly acceptable because it has no meaning. I'm sorry that it triggers your autism but you have to grow up and start living in the real world and not your fantasies.
>>
File: 00000102.jpg (48KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
00000102.jpg
48KB, 680x383px
The only good smug perfect girl desu.
>>
>>94853151
>They are paid to draw not do accurate math

If they're paid to draw equations, then they're being paid to draw math.

Attention to detail is what separates quality from garbage, and everything about this scene is complete and utter trash.

It's not how math works, and the board is literal gibberish. Yes, it triggers my autism, because the entire point of this scene is supposed to be showing how smart Babs is, when every single aspect is showing her to be a complete fucking retard.

It's bad writing, and it's bad illustration.

There is quite literally nothing defensible about any aspect of this. I'd expect this kind of shit from the trashcan fire known as Marvel, but I thought DC still had some standards.
>>
>>94852990
itĀ“s like quoting a classical philosopher wrong, it just make your comic seems dumb in general
yeah its shitty, but if you want your character to look smart you as a writer and or artist must do your homework
>>
>>94853151
>They are paid to draw not do accurate math
Different guy here. Doing your job correctly sometimes requires going above and beyond your job description. Doing bare minimum doesn't cut it, because then you're just left with a bare minimum product to sell.

I'm not saying the artist should take a math course or become a mathematician. Just do some due diligence on google. It's really not that hard or time-consuming.
>>
>>94853310
"it's not how math works, and the board is literal gibberish."

It's an abstraction.

"It triggers my autism."

Well then if you're retarded you don't get to judge non-retards or accuse other people of being retards.
>>
>>94851875
>You can't look at one line of a derivation and see a mistake.

yes, you can.

Math is famous for mathematicians looking at equations drawn out on boards and instantly spotting the errors of others.

In fact that's the whole point of drawing them out on large boards.
>>
>>94839708
You sound like a complete cunt at yours
>>
>>94852281
>Barbara Gordon as a character is supposed to be a super genius
for real? i never see her making any kind of super genius shit
>>
>>94853417

Autism isn't retardation.

I'm not even sure what you're doing on this site of you're not an autist. It is clear, however, that you're legitimately retarded, because pretty much every STEM course you'll never take is packed full of the most autistic mumbling losers you'll never meet. Hell, ap math in high school was the same way.

So congrats on dropping out of high school. If you didn't, you would know better, and wouldn't be defending absolute fucking garbage comics on /co/mblr.
>>
>>94853533
"Autism isn't retardation."

Autism is a mental defect. People with autism cannot function like normal people can, mentally. In some cases it is fairly mild and they can still function in normal society. In many cases they're drooling simpletons that are put away with the downies. In either situation it's literal mental retardation.

Maybe your parents told you were special and that you weren't retarded. You're pretty retarded if you believed them.

I took stem courses. Quite a few of them to get my PhD, in fact. And while a some of my classmates had weird personality quirks, not very sociable people, all of the ones that couldn't really function were washed out by the first year of grad school, at the latest.
>>
>>94853531
>i never see her making any kind of super genius shit
She is a computer genius and spent a good portion of her life being a human bat-computer as Oracle when she was paralyzed. I don't know why people forget this.
>>
>>94853472

No.

The entire point of drawing them out on large boards is that math is a -process-.

Students can spot errors easily in class, because they follow along with the process of solving an equation/proof/derivation/what have you.

Absolutely nobody looks at a board for a few seconds and spots an error halfway through, which would change the entire outcome.

I'm pretty fucking sure "00?P backwards radical" didn't help these guys out.
>>
>>94853643
>Absolutely nobody looks at a board for a few seconds and spots an error halfway through, which would change the entire outcome.

Sure they do. It can be as simple as a sign error.

>I'm pretty fucking sure "00?P backwards radical" didn't help these guys out.

How are you sure? Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it wrong. You're arguing from incredulity.
>>
>>94853620

If you're quite finished roleplaying, everyone knows your lying, and this scene is indefensible.

(unless your PhD. is in something like "political science". That would make perfect sense.)
>>
>>94838752
>Yes, that was in fact the origin of the trope
Technically it was the real person good will hunting was based on
>>
>>94853707

But she didn't just change a sign. She wrote "00?P backwards radical" preceded by what looks like might be a matrix.

Stop fucking defending this garbage. Everything about it is such complete and utter shit that it belongs in the America Chavez ongoing.
>>
guys. it's just comic books.
>>
>>94841444
In fact Grimm Fairytales sells better among women than Batgirl.
>>
>>94853365
>>94853533
Do you know what abstraction is? Do you not understand that this isn't real a equation? That the artist is not being paid to do math, that the equation isn't actually important? This shouldn't at all break your suspension of disbelief or be used to label Babs Tarr as a lazy artist.
>>
>>94853797
>stop defending this garbage

Stop grasping at straws. You're upset by OP's image because it's a girl being better at math than guys. All this "00?P backwards radical doesn't really mean anything" is a red herring.
>>
>>94854203
>Do you know what abstraction is?
When abstraction is used as a crutch in order to sell current-wave feminism, yes it breaks my suspension of disbelief. Because it's blatant virtue signaling. There is not one genius character in the history of comics who has ever nonchalantly corrected another man's work and smugly walked off saying "you're welcome, silly bois"
>>
>>94838571
Solving a math problem for students on a course they are teaching or tutoring in is easy. Solving an actual problem is not as simple.

Even if you are a genius, or even if you are an expert in that field.

Writing a scene like this is just lazy. A professional writer should do better.
>>
>>94838866
I remember liking the super smart guy from Criminal Minds because he was a living wikipedia and super proud of it, but still an akward manchild with self-esteem issues.
>>
>>94854394
>Writing a scene like this is just lazy.
Why, Because it's not exactly real life?
>>
>>94854203
>did you know that both the author and illustrator are both indefensible lazy pieces of shit who couldn't be passed to put in the very bare minimum amount of effort in trying to write a smart character, and so sabotaged their own work with their lazy incompetence?

Yes.

That's the whole problem, you moron.
>>
>>94854394
>Solving an actual problem is not as simple.
In fiction yeah it is, sorry if it's "lazy" to show a scene where we establish a character is truly gifted.
>>
>>94854292

No, I'm upset that there are people dumb enough to think that this is how mathematics works, and said retards are in charge of both writing and illustrating characters who are supposed to be intelligent.

But hey, you keep wailing on that straw man you've constructed.
>>
>>94854394
And how do you know they are solving a problem and haven't just written an already existing equation down to be able to find a mistake in it easier?
>>
>>94854466

But it literally did the opposite of that.

It showed Babs as a trolling moron who ruins people work, and worst of all, is smug about it.
>>
>>94854483
Because that's not how math works, you damn retard. Christ, you fuckers are dumber than /pol/.
>>
>>94854448
What's lazy about this? Why does the artist need to write out an actual math problem? How does that help the story? The equation doesn't matter, it's just filler.
>>
>>94854549
>What's lazy about being lazy?
You explained it in your own post.
>>
>>94854518
>It showed Babs as a trolling moron who ruins people work
No it didn't.
>>
>>94854637
Yes, it did.
>>
>>94854613
Explain in yours.
>>
>>94854546
Nobody writes "math" on a board at work. It's an equation, either physics one or a model of something they are trying to calculate. If they put it in a program and it gave unexpected result they would expect the equation to have an error. So maybe they wrote it down and try to pinpoint where they made a mistake, and since they worked on it for hours thwy are tired and frustrated and keep missing the obvious. The alternative you're proposing is that they wrote a random equation for no reason and then kept trying to find a mistake they had no reason to know existed.
>>
>>94854667
I'm looking at the page right now and no, it doesn't.
>>
>>94854292
>muh patriarchy!!!!
>>
>>94854613
What's lazy about it? Doing math isn't her job, no one is expecting her to write out actual equations, it's an abstract representation of math.
>>
>>94838380
>Because they know how to write
Maybe. Most comics writing is pretty bad.

>and you don't.
I do, but I agree that the OP probably doesn't.
>>
>>94854669
Refusing to do even the barest amount of research, which would only entail 5 minutes on Google Scholar, while ignoring important details that are basically at a level of "fuck it", is unjustifiable. Its even worse, because these fucking retards are trying to portray the character as "smart", while both the art and writing are both retarded.

>>94854689
Then get some glasses, because she literally erased something in the middle of the whiteboard and wrote "00?P backwards radical and maybe a matrix".

If someone did that to me in college, if punch them in the face for being such a retarded dick. This is made even worse by the fact that the entire point of the scene was to show her being intelligent, but all it depicts is her being a retarded smug asshole.
>>
>>94854888
Show me an example of a proper math in comics.
>>
>>94848909
Always liked Elementary more.
>>
>>94854888
>Then get some glasses, because she literally erased something in the middle of the whiteboard and wrote "00?P backwards radical and maybe a matrix
What part of abstract do you don't get?
>>
>>94854957

It doesn't usually come up, because much better authors have far better ways of showing intelligence than "haha look at me I'm better at MATHING than you! Silly boys! Smash the patriarchy!"

Might as well have her repeat a fake Einstein quote while she's at it.
>>
>>94838230
Are we just gonna ignore the fact that she's too stupid to understand how dry erase boards work?
>>
>>94854888
Hey fuck you, this is a universe where saying ("3X2(9YZ)4A") gives you super speed.
Clearly this is some high level math shit you just can't comprehend.
>>
File: 1344625654393.jpg (78KB, 687x741px) Image search: [Google]
1344625654393.jpg
78KB, 687x741px
>>94839612
>it can be fucking retarded if it wants, its fiction

I guess that's why the Holocaust numbers keep inflating
>>
>>94855034

The part where it's indefensibly lazy, in the one area the illustrator should not have been lazy. Its a character defining moment, to tell you "she's smart". This is not the part the illustrator should have slacked off on.

Them again, the whole scenario is so fucking stupid, with bad dialogue to boot that the illustrator might have just went "They're not paying me nearly enough to draw this authors garbage."
>>
>>94855076
>anon doesn't get that Barbara just help proved traps are indeed not gay.
Anti-intelllectualism is killing America.
>>
>>94855127
>Its a character defining moment, to tell you "she's smart".
No it's not, We already know she's smart.
>>
>>94855210
Then not only is the scene pointless, but also retcons her intelligence to tell the reader she's a trolling retard.
>>
>>94848909
Unfortunately, Sherlock Holmes was never supposed to be smart; he was supposed to have a superpower. Read any of the old novels or, hell, read the C. Auguste Dupin stories by Poe. Those predate Holmes by a few years and feature another detective with a "smarts" superpower.
>>
>>94852785
I pick hot nerd.
>>
>>94855051
And how does thqt prove that the artist is lazy? Either show an example where they actually bothered to include accurate math or stop bitching.
>>
>>94855343
Can I get a cute nerd instead?
>>
>>94851904
It gets old though. Doctor Who is a prime example as well, though that show is allowed some wiggle room since its sci-fi.
>>
>>94855537

Not an argument.

Are you the author, or the illustrator?

Because it's impossible to believe anyone else would possibly defend anything about this trash.

Learn from your horrendous mistakes, and do better in the future. Or kill yourself. Either way, stop fucking up DC.
>>
>>94855243
>Then not only is the scene pointless,
Yeah it's called a gag.
>retcons her intelligence to tell the reader she's a trolling retard.
No because the math is still abstract.
>>
>>94855703
>not an argument.
Yeah it is.
>>
>>94855781

The word your looking for is "lazy", not "abstract".

You can be abstract with background crowds, or irrelevant scenery.

You can't be abstract with what's literally the focus of what's happening.

In this case, it's a plot point to help establish/remind Babs as "smart", and the focus is entirely about the math.

Stop trying to defend this clusterfuck.
>>
>>94838230
Where is this from and who is the artsit?
>>
>>94855980
Artist*. I mean, I suppose it's from a DC comic and it's a version of Barbara Gordon? But which comic specifically?
>>
>>94854292
It's stupid when a guy does it too. The point in writing this scene is to show that a character easily perform miracles as they go about their business, but it doesn't require understanding or creativity. It's hack because it's a borrow, basic scene that doesn't earn what it's trying to say.
>>
>>94838380
This. It's a fucking pop culture reference, like 60% of capeshit is.
Stop getting pissy over popular culture in comics aimed at kids. This isn't high literature.
>>
>>94856074
This is /co/mblr. I'm pretty sure they know full damn well what the problems with this scene are, but since it's """progressive""", will defend it to their deaths.
>>
>>94856216
>aimed at kids

hahahahahaha
>>
>>94839612
>lol just turn your brain off and enjoy it!
If I have to pretend to be a retard before I can enjoy something, maybe it isn't very good.
>>
>>94840610
Sure you do, incel.
>>
This entire fucking thread talking about "backwards radicals" and not one of you has pointed out that she actually erased the entire board and re-wrote it mirrored from one panel to the other.
>>
>>94856248
Case and point
>>94856305
>>
File: 1481336974927.jpg (87KB, 620x476px) Image search: [Google]
1481336974927.jpg
87KB, 620x476px
>>94849944
>Thordia
It's fucking Thordis
>>
>>94838230
say what you like but they drew Barbara very cute there
>>
>>94838230
She looks like the archetype of the modern liberal.
Completely wrong, while fucking up other people's work, while wearing a shiteating smug grin about it.
>>
How many people in this thread think this comic as a whole is shit anyways, but still feel the need to defend this panel even though you know it's just a small part of a big piece of shit?
>>
>>94838295
>It's okay that this is bad because other bad things have been made before this

Well shit, I guess we should let everyone out of prison now. I mean, it's not like they did anything that Hitler didn't do
>>
File: 1479648659027.jpg (27KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1479648659027.jpg
27KB, 800x600px
>>94838380
>>
File: 1500605927739.png (360KB, 396x416px)
1500605927739.png
360KB, 396x416px
>>94855102
You are a man of honesty.
>>
>>94838380
>Fucking eh

Of course it's a fucking leaf
>>
>>94855873
>it's a plot point to help establish/remind Babs as "smart"
this is not anywhere near close to being a plot point, we already knew Batgirl was smart and this was just a background event.
>>
>>94857430

If we know she's smart, why did the author and illustrator retcon her into being retarded?
>>
>>94856529
How many people in this thread need to label this series as shit because of some perception that this was SJW tumblr pandering.
>>
>>94857448
They didn't do that, her math was right.
>>
>>94857448
>why did the author and illustrator retcon her into being retarded?
They didn't.
>>
>>94838230

>P00?P
>>
>>94857524
Yeah. They did.
>>
>>94857726
No they didn't.
>>
>>94838752
>, that was in fact the origin of the trope
I'm pretty sure Sherlock was doing the same thing a bit before Will got his Hunting on.
>>
>>94858582
That's literally all this scene showed.
Thread posts: 286
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.