[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When does Moral Orel get good ? I just finished the first season

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

File: Moralorel_image.jpg (48KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Moralorel_image.jpg
48KB, 300x225px
When does Moral Orel get good ?
I just finished the first season and I'm tired of the constant predictable christian emotional baiting.
>>
Second Season is when things start getting good
The first is the weakest
Second Season finale is dope
>>
season one is fairly formulaic and episodic but season two gets some continuity to it
>>
>>94771266
Moral Oral is a fantastic show, but all 3 seasons are completely different.

Season 1 is fantasy with a lot of jokes

Season 2 is slightly more serious with some mood swings

Season 3 is extremely unique, and has some stuff that was too much for Adult Swim to handle so they cut the season short and didn't renew it for a Season 4.
>>
>>94771266
Numb
>>
>>94771266
The first season is kind of a trick, setting you to expect a straight parody of Davey and Goliath. The end of season 2 is where shit gets truly real.
>>
>>94772748
To be fair it wasn't designed as a trick, the show just evolved over time.
>>
File: 1446439976388.png (76KB, 440x309px) Image search: [Google]
1446439976388.png
76KB, 440x309px
>>94772748
>Be like 14
>Get into Adult Swim
>Watch a few episodes of Morel Orel season 1, think it's pretty funny
>Watch commercials for Nature
>It looks okay, I think I'll watch it
>mfw watching the thing

I'll always remember that night. Expecting some cheap laughs and getting a horrifying hunting trip.
>>
>>94773166
>>94772748

The show didn't really 'evovle' so much as one of the guys threatened to leave because the show was just fedora-tipping so the other guy agreed to let him change it.
>>
Season 2.

Season 3 is when it gets great
>>
I love the promos

https://youtu.be/E5PMwjjfA60
>>
>>94775666
Kek, that's the best episode and they nailed the marketing on it.
>>
>>94773943

If the show was just "fedora tipping", as you put it, it would have made Orel an atheist by the end of Season Two.

The show was never meant to be a dogpile on Christianity in particular or religion in general. It was meant as both a parody of "Davey and Goliath" - at least at first - and a satirical blow at authority figures who hypocritically lay claim to moral righteousness in public. Season Two began a focal shift away from Moral's everyday misadventures and toward the adults of Moralton and their underlying hypocrisy. Season Three went so far with the shift in focus and the dark turn therein that [adult swim] regretted getting exactly what they asked for.

And yes, while the show did sometimes take a potshot or two at Christianity, it was far more of a satire of shitty authority figures than it was a "fedora tipping" crucifixion of Christianity. Even Orel had every damn reason to turn his back on God and religion by the end of the show, and he remained a Christian in spite of all the shit he went through.
>>
>>94771984

>has some stuff that was too much for Adult Swim to handle

For [adult swim] to handle? How many networks do you know of that would air a show where a female character actually tried to get raped and is hinted to have given herself a coat-hanger abortion?

...okay, other than Fox.
>>
>>94776732
did you read the script for the unproduced episode, 'Raped'?
>>
>>94776808

No, I have not. But I can assume that it isn't any worse than a random "Family Guy" episode.
>>
>>94776657
Absolutely, for all the shit Oral went through he never lost faith, even in the final episode flashforward we can clearly see he proudly kept his faith.

The show doesn't even take a specific anti-religion stance, it shows the bad of religion for sure but it also shows the good of it and never tries to force a "religion is terrible" message. It tells us drinking is bad, it tells us lying is bad, it tells us blinding yourself from reality in general is bad, but it NEVER tries to say religion is bad. There are some absolutely terrible Christian Characters, but there are also some absolutely terrible characters in the very small pool of characters that aren't religious, like Joe (who gladly skips church and really only goes to steal shit). It's always pretty fair in general, it just happens that religion is a focus of the show, it could have been the same sort of show even without religion by mocking sports fans or DnD players or gossiping wives instead of Christians.
>>
>>94776732
>>94776847
Did you even watch Moral Orel? The execs flat out canned the series and cut season 3 short the second they realized they allowed "Alone" to exist, that's a fact. There were things seriously worse than Alone, like how someone else mentioned "Raped".
>>
>>94776863

Really, the best part of the show is how, by the time it ended, several of the adults who had been portrayed as shitty role models and authority figures had either earned those roles or were at least making headway in doing so.

>>94776891

Watched the whole show. "Family Guy" has done a lot worse. For fuck's sake, one of that show's recurring characters is an actual admitted rapist, and another is a fucking pedophile.
>>
>>94776971
>Watched the whole show. "Family Guy" has done a lot worse. For fuck's sake, one of that show's recurring characters is an actual admitted rapist, and another is a fucking pedophile.

Yes, but unlike Family Guy Moral Orel (past season 2) tried to take itself seriously. Family Guy plays rape as purely a joke, while Moral Orel will gladly show you a character crying mercilessly on the floor from a PTSD flashback spurred by a teddy bear falling on her ass, not played as a joke at all.

Quagmire's rape takes the form of "haha, look at my wacky hijinks, you'll never believe what I can get away with after some smooth talk, it's funny because I'm a terrible person", while Moral Orel's rape takes the form of a woman sitting sadly alone in her apartment, thinking about her rapist and wishing she was dead.
>>
>>94777094
>Family Guy plays rape as purely a joke, while Moral Orel will gladly show you a character crying mercilessly on the floor from a PTSD
Not the other anon, but this doesn't explain why AS would then be okay with the serious portrayal of Morty almost getting raped in the bathroom by the Jelly Bean King and sobbing afterwards to Rick that he wanted to go home.
>>
>>94777162
Now you're comparing two completely separate versions of adult swim. Moral Orel was airing new episodes a full decade ago, while Rick and Morty is a new show. Yes, adult swim has slightly more clearance than they used to have. Rick and Morty is special because it's hugely popular though, something Moral Orel never had. A hugely popular show is allowed to get away with slightly more, which also applies to Family Guy.
>>
>>94777162
im willing to bet rick and morty has much better ratings than what moral oral did.
>>
>>94777162
I agree it's hypocritical, but the Rick and Morty episode doesn't dwell on it. Morty recovers quickly, the rape attempt is for shock-value. It adresses the attempt and Morty's shock after but not any other effects of trauma, it's unrealistic.
The other episode uses rape and it's repercussions as a focal plot point of the episode. It's painted in an accurate light of how a past sexual assault can effect a person's life.
>>
>>94777236

>Rick and Morty is special because it's hugely popular though, something Moral Orel never had.

Didn't the 4am reruns of Moral Orel a few years back get significantly higher ratings than basically anything that had run in that timeslot before?
>>
File: T O T T Y.jpg (34KB, 599x338px) Image search: [Google]
T O T T Y.jpg
34KB, 599x338px
>>94777236
>it's actually been a decade
>>
>>94777287
Yeah, it had good 4am ratings, aka the worst timeslot possible. Meanwhile Rick and Morty gets great ratings at times of day when it actually has competition from other fucking channels.
>>
First and third season is the best by far. Second season is a terrible mesh of comedy and drama, similar to how Rick and Morty is right now.
>>
>>94777498

That's sort of my point: [as] viewers liked Moral Orel so much that they gave the show great ratings in a timeslot that is basically a dead zone.
>>
>>94776808
Thanks for telling me this exists. You wouldn't expect it but it's as funny as it is dark. And holy shit is it dark.

>>94777236
Rick and Morty is about contrasting fucked up situations with cartoon absurdism.
While Morel Orel has its sillier episodes, the ones people mention as dark (e.g. Nature and Alone) are relentlessly grounded. They give the uncomfortable feeling that they've happened to real people before.
>>
>>94777236
Also Mike Lazzo wants to greenlight more episodes, but only if they had more comedy elements to them. Dino said fuck it, moved onto writing a comic not too long after.
>>
>>94777287
Still in reruns every Sunday at 2
>>
>>94776971
>had either earned those roles or were at least making headway in doing so.

Reverend Putty and his daughter was my favorite.
>>
>>94777792
I don't blame Dino honestly, Moral Orel is not a comedy anymore. If it was brought back as a comedy it would be awkward because they would basically need to ignore all the shit the characters went though and still were going through last time we saw them.
>>
>>94777792
>Dino said fuck it
Good, honestly the ending was perfect and at least we got the special episode about Morel and his Grandpa.
>>
File: cover trent.png (770KB, 709x1116px) Image search: [Google]
cover trent.png
770KB, 709x1116px
>>94777836
Btw, not to shill but go check out Trent. It's just as dark in tone, but dealing with Parenthood instead of Religion.

The weekend it came out, he got the Moral Orel figures out and displayed them across a nearby bookstore, I'll post some in a sec
>>
File: IMG_20170313_134227.jpg (134KB, 1327x886px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170313_134227.jpg
134KB, 1327x886px
>>94777933
>>
File: IMG_20170313_134139.jpg (172KB, 1616x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170313_134139.jpg
172KB, 1616x1080px
>>94777957
>>
>>94777957
Thanks senpai, that's really cute, I'll check it out.
>>
>>94777979
I also want to say, Frankenhole is criminally underrated
>>
>>94777957

Holy shit that is perfect.

>>94777824

This was one of my favorite scenes of the show's entire run: https://youtu.be/YeQ8vLgn4K0?t=9m32s
>>
>>94778024
It's on the Starburns Industries website only, $35 gets you an autograph from Dino, $25 for a normal copy.

I paid for two early draft copies, one of which also came with an autograph. So I have two of Dino's autographs lying around.

Also you can't go wrong with Britta Phillips singing in this
>>
There's a blurry girl at the end of my nose-
>>
What went right?
>>
>>94778631
It's one of the only works of western "animation" that manages to have some serious and delicate topics without always throwing spaghetti all over the walls. It could fill a full episode up with drama, and use jokes that FIT instead of interrupting a serious scene for some shitty gag. Like, look at the end of the episode where Bendy and Joe reunite, it has jokes about how dumb Bendy is and jokes about Joe and his family, but it still manages a serious tone in the scenes that need it. The joke that the episode ends on is a touching and cute little "they're doing Joe's tongue thing to each other" joke, which is funny without ruining the mood of the episode.
>>
File: Tingles.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Tingles.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
Anybody remember this little skit Dino did many moons ago?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UIwFCzH3BI
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.