[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As good as Batman Beyond was, were all of it's rogues just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: batmanbeyondrogues.jpg (190KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
batmanbeyondrogues.jpg
190KB, 500x327px
As good as Batman Beyond was, were all of it's rogues just massively wasted potential?

Even though the stories were compelling, it feels like a shame to introduce us to a new character with an interesting design and gimmick Terry must overcome, only to kill them off at the end of the episode.

At the same times however, since Terry's rogues rarely return, does that make him a more effective Batman than Bruce?
>>
I think Dini and Timmand company, being themselves sort of purists who preferred the originals to the Legacy characters, knew that they weren't going to be doing this to create long-lasting characters, butjusts et out to do good stories. they ddin't have any prior appearances to stay faithful to, and they probably weren't interested in making these characters timeless or made to appear in comics 25 years onwards. Ironically, this approach has proven to make for more long-lasting and memorable characters, since we're still talking about this show decades later.
>>
>>94761575
Yeah, /thread basically.

As for an in-universe explanation, I always figured that super-villain in general just couldn't survive as long-term threats in a world where technology had advanced so rapidly (from B&W television sets to fucking flying cars within the same lifetime) while society itself hardly matured at all well enough to use any of it. Gotham essentially went through an immediate shift from prohibition-era gangsters and sideshow freaks, to modern lone-wolf terrorists who virtually all die in a blaze of glory before getting the opprotunity to become repeat offenders. It's a little hard to judge objectively just how effective on his own Terry was compared to Bruce, but his Batman was definitely in a better position to thrive against the next generation of super-criminals than Bruce was in his time.
>>
File: batman beyond casualties.jpg (3MB, 1568x3558px) Image search: [Google]
batman beyond casualties.jpg
3MB, 1568x3558px
>>94761430
I was thinking of this last night
I mean who really can come back? Shriek and Inque?
>>
>>94761575
Sometimes I wonder about Timm and Dini...

They are definitely excellent writers, sure. And I can understand them being pissed about executives wanting to make them work on a Batman Of The Future show, but it's still amazing thanks to them. However they really made it so that no one else could contribute to this cool idea by getting rid of half the cast.

Max's treatment is another confusing detail. I get being forced to give Batman a spunky girl sidekick was annoying, but they did make Max work as an Oracle. That is, it would've worked better had Bruce not already been there, but making her a further assist did give us another great character. I always feel disappointed when I hear that they personally hated her, hence why she was the butt of so many jokes. I even heard when a writer suggested setting her up with Terry, Dini got furious and ripped up the script. The fact that Terry stays together with Dana through everything just feels weird, and I get that it's an extension of Dini's Zantanna fetish, but still. Writing with your dick doesn't normally make for a good story (see Batman and Harley Quinn).

I wonder if they really did like the overall show or not, or if they were just working on it for bills. You gotta admit it does feel like a Spiderman rip off at times, so it doesn't seem much thought went into the concept, but it still winds up being a pretty good show regardless, one begging for a comic adaption too. And not the ones we already have, those mostly suck and make no sense.
>>
>>94762955
Shriek, Inque, Spellbinder, The Jokerz, and Mad Stan. That's all from my count. And Inque might've been killed by Supes under brainwashing.

Terry's own "main" foe Blight, set up to be his version of the Joker and chief antagonist who murdered his father, is even destroyed without much hope of survival.
>>
>>94761430
>MEANWHILE, IN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE /co/
WHY WON'T TERRY JUST KILL SHRIEK.
>>
>>94761430
Didn't the main ones have a couple of appearances each?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.