[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aren't they all essentially just the same character? Why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: 31287478.jpg (149KB, 1021x568px) Image search: [Google]
31287478.jpg
149KB, 1021x568px
Aren't they all essentially just the same character? Why are shows with fucked up loser MCs so popular?
>>
reflective of the writers
reflective of the viewers
>>
>>94738453
What the fuck is that duck
>>
Rusty is Rick done right.
>>
>>94738453
>Aren't they all essentially just the same character?

I unfortunatelly only know duckman and rick but i can already tell you you're wrong, they maybe all assholes but they're also diferent shades of assholes enough to make a clear separation between them
>>
>>94738453
Duckman and Rusty are vastly different from the others. Duckman actually means well and honestly thinks, no matter how ridiculous his decision is, that he's doing what's best for his boys and in turn himself. He sees the world through a lens that no one else does, that is so hectic and stupid that it returns to being accurate.

Rusty has a slither of care for his boys, but he hates himself and hates his heritage so much that he almost hates the idea of success. He'll try to outdo others but his own shitty nature keeps him from actually doing it.
>>
Every character in that image has a completely different personality.

OP are you literally autistic
>>
>>94738484
A hero
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G8xp8BQxftE
>>
>>94738453
Archer is a manchild who prefers to do things his way and refuses to grow up. Rusty is a self-entitled loser who can't set aside his ego for a second. Dunno about duck. Bojack cannot let go of his past grudges. Rick is a sociopathic asshole who switches between unstoppable force and self-destructive prick.
>>
>>94738577
Is this Rugrats animators? I've genuinely never even heard of this show.
>>
>>94738604
It's fantastic. Highly suggest it. It was back when a show had to be well written on top of vulgar to stay on TV.
>>
>>94738597
Ducks probably between rusty and Bojack, literally and characterization wise. Layout of the image actually works really well as a scale if you'd swap Bojack and rusty
>>
Archer isn't particularly smart or self loathing, honestly he isn't even comparable to the others aside from being an alcoholic like Rick and Bojack and kind of a dick.

Rusty shares Bojack's daddy issues and is a scientist like Rick, but he's kind of a shitty scientist and I wouldn't say he's as big of a nihilist as either of them.

Duckman is a dick but he actually cares about stuff, I don't think he belongs at all.

Bojack is Bojack, I'd say him and Rick are probably the most similar but Bojack's issues are a lot more realistic.

Rick is Rick.

Yes I know this is a trope, but aside from Rusty and rick being scientists, and Bojack and Archer being alcoholics they're not incredibly similar to the point of being the same.

Rusty is still the best out of all of them though.
>>
>>94738604
Yea it's a Klaspy Csupo show. Also the best thing Jason Alexanders ever done
>>
Archer is much younger and begins to confront his glaring flaws while there's still time.
It's just that he got shot in the head.
>>
>>94738604
It's pretty good.
>>
>posts thread about "Whats with all the lame-ass "depressing" cartoons today?"
>gets barely any replies
>retools it to "Why are shows with fucked up loser MC's so popular?"
We get it, you have a hate boner for anything that isn't gentle comedy, or any character that is more complex than "Gotta go fast!". Give it a rest OP.
>>
>>94738665
>>94738653
>>94738626
Huh, guess I'll check it out.
>>
>>94738492
This.
>>
>>94738453
This is the /co/ version of your classic anime self insert main character
>>
Archer: no daddy issues, alcoholic, not a nihilist
Rusty: daddy issues, not an alcoholic, not a nihilist
Duckman: no daddy issues, not an alcoholic, not a nihilist
Bojack: daddy issues, alcoholic, nihilist
Rick: no daddy issues, alcoholic, nihilist

But yeah they're all aging, male, assholes.
>>
File: white mans burden.jpg (652KB, 1251x798px) Image search: [Google]
white mans burden.jpg
652KB, 1251x798px
>>94738453
>>94738882
it's still miles better than /v/'s version
>>
>>94739680
I don't recognize most of these, but Hawke is just hilariously sarcastic.
>>
>>94739680
This one is filled with a lot of mistakes. Starkiller is seriously on this thing three separate times. I see at least 3 characters that are customization in terms of appearance (two of which can be changed to female). At least one of the characters is from bulletstorm, which in itself is a parody of hyper inflated action games game. I'm fairly sure Jorge from halo isn't white, but even if he is, he's a really minor character even in his own game. Joseph is native American.
>>
>>94738453
Archer is a jerk because his neglectful mother and not having a father
Rick isn't really a jerk, but he is the mam he is because his shitty father, being a boy adventurer and having to live up yo his fathers legacy
Duckman is a jerk because he's recently widowed while having to raise his dysfunction family
Never watched Bojack
Rick is a jerk because lol he's smarter than everyone else and Harmon is a hack
Also no one really likes the guys above, but everyone (except Morty and Jerry) loves Rick and anyone else dies because they didn't like Rick
>>
>>94742063
>Rick isn't really a jerk
*Rusty
>>
>>94739292
>Archer: no daddy issues
hmmmm
>Duckman: not alcoholic
hmmmm
>>
File: 4171625-lizard.jpg (64KB, 209x300px) Image search: [Google]
4171625-lizard.jpg
64KB, 209x300px
>>94741321
>one of /v/'s "black" version of >>94739680 was filled with side characters, characters that weren't black and sports games.
>>
>>94739680
I mean, a dreadlocked white guy with a robot arm who is also his wife is pretty unique.
>>
>>94738492
I can't even compare the two. Rusty is a failure on so many levels that it makes Rick look like a saint.

I won't lie though, I would love the writers of both to sit down and script a conversation between the two just to put down Rusty even further.
>>
>>94742275
I can only imagine how cringy that must have looked, but that doesn't really do anything to counter any of the points I made.
>>
>>94739680
>Full of different looking white guys and even nonwhite
>>
>>94739292
>archer
>no daddy issues

Dude a major part of his characterization is that he's a bastard, and that's the cherry on top of his seeping cunt of a mother
>>
>>94738453
The only one that's a loser you posted is Duckman and arguably Rusty.
>>94738597
Duckman is a failure who's grown to hate modern society. He accidentally killed his own wife He is a horrible detective, his family constantly brings him down and show him no respect, and every were he goes the basic corruption and greed found in everyday life is made into his problem.

So imagine Bojack but without the money, fame, women and drugs.
>>
>>94739680
>Niko Bellic
>Cole
>The suicidal dude from Gears
>Frost from Fight Night
In all seriousness is this list supposed to be a joke to see who didn't actually play the games they're from.

Niko Bellic alone.
>>
>>94738492
>>94742517

The problem is that Rusty is actually written like a normal human being that we can track the events of his life and how they informed his character and choices. Rick is meant to be this godlike figure that the audience is to be kept at arm's length from. Which is mostly why the show doesn't really have any real staying power. Will Rick win the conflict of the week? Yes. Does Rick love Morty? Kinda, but they'll never do anything meaningful with that and we'll just get jerked around again like the at the end of the last episode.
>>
>>94738453
That's a pretty diverse group. You could probably add every jerk male protagonist ever, and most of them would fit.
>>
>>94739680

Got one from this decade?
>>
>>94738453
this is working from the false assumption that Rusty is the MC
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.