[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Conway/Stegman out, Jody Houser is in. I haven't read any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_7576.jpg (2MB, 910x1400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7576.jpg
2MB, 910x1400px
Conway/Stegman out, Jody Houser is in. I haven't read any of her stuff, /co/, should I drop Spider-Senpai book now or hang on?
>>
>>94735854
Drop it.
>>
>This series is getting pulled into legacy with what looks like a time skip
fug
>>
>>94735907
Yea wtf?

Also any reason why Conway is out?

From the interviews it seemed happy long term plans but he's already been off for a few issues with Stegman temporarily taking over.
>>
>>94735894
Mother Panic is the one YA book I've heard nothing good about so I figured. oh well. it was cozy while it lasted!
>>
>creator of Faith, the fat superhero
The sting
>>
>>94736121

Marvel wants this book to die. What's Roger Stern doing these days? We need him on this.
>>
It looks like Houser is relatively new as a writer. It kind of worries me that their putting someone with so little experience on a spidey book, but guess we'll wait and see.
>>
>>94736169
>creator of Faith
What? She didn't create Faith. She was created by Jim Shooter.
>>
>>94736185
It was inevitable with Homecoming being the new hotness

Joy is fleeting
>>
>>94736215
I just Googled her and this is what I found, but actual article was changed it seems
http://www.npr.org/2017/07/29/536893629/questions-for-jody-houser-writer-of-high-flying-faith
>>
Also looks like they are getting rid of MJ as Vemom. Boo.
>>
>>94736251
So... you don't even know anything about Faith, but still got upset over this? Come on, man. If you're going to tell me that you don't like Houser because you didn't enjoy Mother Panic or the Faith ongoing, sure, that's fine. Mother Panic is the only Young Animals book that I didn't like, and Faith in her ongoing wasn't as enjoyable as she was in Harbringers, so I'm not defending Houser. I think she's a fairly middling writer and a definite step down from Conway, but at least I came to that decision by actually reading some of her comics.

Judge a writer by their actual works. If you have to google to try and find something to get upset about regarding her then you're clearly just looking to get outraged. Does knowing that Jim Shooter created Faith make you now not like Jim Shooter?
>>
I'm so mad. The only truly fantastic book left at marvel down the shitter. A fantastic team replaced by literally whos. Really showing DC this time. Truly this honors the "Legacy" of Marvel.
>>
>>94736262
No shit, that was obviously a one arc thing. Didn't it already end?
>>
>>94735854
At least they made Annies suit better
>>
>>94736424
She made Venom her bitch, there was no reason for her to get rid of it.
>>
>>94736470
Yeah, because that always turns out well.
>>
>>94736324
>getting this assblasted over me being lazy
>>
I don't want to assume the worst, but this news doesn't exactly get me excited. I'll give her a chance, but now I really hope that Robbie Thompson does a good job with Spider-Man/Deadpool so that I can have at least one Spidey series to look forward to if this one does take a turn for the worse.
>>
>>94736141
People praise Cave Carson?
>>
>>94736613
Let's be real, all the YA range from okay to crap
>>
>>94736634
Nah, Shade is legit good.
>>
So... how is Mother Panic? I haven't like what I've seen from Faith.

This is making me really disappointed.
>>
>>94736634
I like Bug a lot? But I'm a sucker for Kirby fanservice
>>
>>94736703
Shade is okay, I like Doom Patrol more though. It's more okay
>>
>>94736728
Bug is YA? I thought that was a Kirby thing like Mister Miracle
>>
>>94736634
Doom Patrol is brilliant it just doesn't come out often enough
>>
>>94736742
It is a Kirby YA thing.
>>
>>94736487
It could have worked as a long term story line. They'll probably explain it away as her loosing it in Venomverse.
>>
>>94736703
It's just your average young adult high school comic, and it went to shit after the supporting cast was tossed aside for the road trip.

>>94736728
I love Bug too. I like the old school self contained stories, and I always had a weakness for Allred's art. He even upped the quality of Doom Patrol.
>>
>>94735854
If you were liking Conway's writing, I guess you'd like Houser as well. She isn't any worse than Conway.
>>
>>94736833
I mean she isn't Bendis or Slott, so she has that going for her.
>>
What the fuck is wrong with Marvel. This book as been perfection.
>>
>>94737317

>>Perfect comic
>>Modern Marvel ruins it
I think you just answered your own question anon
>>
File: Sinestro.jpg (124KB, 736x952px) Image search: [Google]
Sinestro.jpg
124KB, 736x952px
>>94737317
Oh, it's just that Conway is retiring since Stan needs to feed again
>>
>>94736324
>Does knowing that Jim Shooter created Faith make you now not like Jim Shooter?
Kinda.
>>
>>94737356
But Stegman's been writing the past few issues and doing a damn good job.

Honestly, I think this was part of the plan from the get-go to have Conway pass the reins over to Stegman. Stegman seemed pretty involved with the creative process from the start, more than you typically see from artists.

>>94737356
I mean, Conway killed Gwen, who was based on Lee's wife who just died. It would be pottery.
>>
>Spidey is my fav superhero
>Hate how marvel overshadow him with pseudospiders like Spider-Gwen, Miles or silk
>Give a chance to this book, Pete is still with MJ
>Ends up liking it a lot
>This happens

Why...just why, it's not fair bros...
>>
File: Just as planned.jpg (154KB, 750x905px) Image search: [Google]
Just as planned.jpg
154KB, 750x905px
>>94737396
>Conway killed Gwen, who was based on Lee's wife who just died
>>
>>94735854
It really gets my goat how uninspired those MJ and daughter costumes are. Absolutely zero effort.
>>
>>94737399
>>Hate how marvel overshadow him with pseudospiders like Spider-Gwen, Miles or silk

What nigger? Mile and gwen and silk have never overshadow peter parker. Especially silk, who is surviving on being a cameo in other books.
>>
>>94737399
I know the feel anon. Renew Your Vows is literally the only comic from Marvel I read and the only one I've enjoyed in years.

Fuck Marvel.
>>
>>94735854
What does /co/ think of Nick Roche? He's the new interior artist for RYV. I feel it won't be the same after this.

>>94737399
I know how you feel.
>>
>>94737457
I kind of like Mary Jane's/

Annie's costume... I thought her kid costume looked more distinctive. Maybe should've kept the red gloves, and given her a cowl to cover her head.
>>
>>94736424
>Didn't it already end?
Nope. She's on the cover of #12 with the Venom symbiote.
>>
doesn't surprise me. this book is a reminder to Marvel that many Spider-Fags still don't swallow their OMD/Slott tier hyper autismo bullshit regarding ASM. Can't have that.

It's a reminder that they fucked up. And they can't have that. What are the odds that their original plan was to publish it, hope it dies (because of the fact that Spider-Fags only buy ASM AND that this is an AU) and then cancel it with a smug "I told you so." But it's sold OK so now they have to work to kill it while still milking money from fans.
>>
>>94736634
Shade, Doom Patrol and Bug are good.
>>
File: marvel future.png (272KB, 1740x537px) Image search: [Google]
marvel future.png
272KB, 1740x537px
Told you fuckers i was right
>>
>>94737594
Sounds about right.
>>
>>94737594
This is so depressing to me...
>>
>>94735854
Probably drop. There are already way too many teen heroes and it looks like the time skip is an excuse by the execs to try to force Annie into that role. Combine that with a sudden staff change and that is usually a recipe for cancellation.
>>
>>94737638
>Slott trying to replace Mayday with Annie
Not gonna happen.
>>
>>94737638
How the fuck is Marvel going to incorporate Miracleman into the Marvel Universe? Most of the shit that happens in the story is because not too many other superhumans exist other than the Miraclemen.
>>
>>94737594
I can honestly see this shit happening.
>>
>>94735854
I dunno how I would feel if I had my daughter running around in tights all day..
What could possibly have had Peter go "Sure. Let's get my little baby girl into a skintight latex thingey"?

Maybe a scarlet spider-ish costume with a big hoodie or something
>>
>>94738066
I would have gone with a variation of Ultimate Spiderwoman's original costume. Have her cover her face but let the hair out.
>>
>>94735854
Source?
>>
>>94738066
She had armor and stuff as a little girl but now she's a teen and he can't do shit about it.
>>
>>94738131
Newsarama
>>
>>94736141
I really like Mother Panic so
>>
>>94738121
hmm it has been a few years since I read that but wasn't that also a tight though?
I am not a father but I could imagine that as one you wouldn't want to show off your daughters.. "assets" to everyone. Gotta hid it with the hoodie and whatnot

>>94738155
Armor would probably work still
>>
>>94738156
Thanks.
>>
>>94738155
Her kid costume is shitty. And the pigtails make it uglier.
>>
>>94736205
Someone with experience? I know just the man! Slott!
>>
>>94738183
Yup but it didn't have an ounce of skin showing. She could have been black, Chinese or Mexican under that mask for all anyone knew. Frankly I don't like any Spider mask that doesn't cover the face.

Unless the armor is like the Iron Spider suit, it'll likely interfere with mobility which is Spiderman's best defense. Since RYV is poor Parker, it makes sense that she avoids armor. That said, some roller derby style arm or leg guards would be a nice nod to continuity since she obviously grew up with such armor.
>>
>>94735894
Yeah, it's like Marvel's trying to sink the book. A book about family so let's remove the guy with the actual kid so Annie can be aged up and we can put a generic childless diversity writer on the book in its place.

I'm fully expecting any of the charm to be gone, replaced with annoying forced quirkiness, the sales will plummet and Marvel will go "SEE?! SEE?! NOBODY WANTS MARRIED SPIDER-MAN".
>>
>>94736324
>Judge a writer by their actual works.
Faith is really, really bad from what I've read of it. No clue about Mother Panic, it looked shitty as is.
>>
>>94736833
Honestly last issue was Stegman's first solo and the quality didn't drop at all. I'm guessing that Stegman was probably heavily involved in the plotting/writing from the beginning, Conway having largely phased himself out (since he and Stegman "co-wrote" the last few issues which usually means it was the lesser name doing the writing).
>>
>>94738838
Houser actually has two kids under five. Aside from that, I do agree with your theory. Marvel has no idea how to write semi-functional families anymore.

It makes me wonder if she did the time skip because she couldn't imagine having her kids in Annie's situation and decided to make Annie into her own author avatar.
>>
>>94737396
When you see co-writers on a comic, it's almost guaranteed that the larger name is doing little more than outlines and the lion's share of the writing is done by the second/lesser name. The same thing happened with Brubaker and Fraction on Immortal Iron Fist; Fraction was the newbie at the time so Bru's name was kept on to keep people from leaving immediately and ease them into Fraction even though it was Fraction doing all the writing.
>>
>>94737466
How are the sales for Spider Gwen anyway? Miles is meh regarding sales and Silk was cancelled.
>>
I kinda think there should have been a longer period with Annie as a kid. It seemed like there was more they could do with that.

The time skip might seem like a better idea if they were trying to tell a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end,. But this is a superhero comic, so what are the chances of that?
>>
File: 1501383914428.png (566KB, 762x342px) Image search: [Google]
1501383914428.png
566KB, 762x342px
>>94738366
Stop
>>
>>94737396
>But Stegman's been writing the past few issues and doing a damn good job.
hell, I didn't even noticed the author change.

Anyway maybe, JUST maybe, it's a flash-forward(or Teen Annie time-travels to the present, which is more likely given MJ's look and costume in the cover) issue and then we go back to Comfy Spider-Family?
>>
>>94737594
>What are the odds that their original plan was to publish it, hope it dies (because of the fact that Spider-Fags only buy ASM AND that this is an AU) and then cancel it with a smug "I told you so."
I was saying that from the very beginning. The book was basically supposed to be a trap so they could prove the whiners wrong. Then it didn't work. Oops!
>>
>>94740359
what are the numbers?

That said, yeah, most likely they were expecting a complete fail with under-cancellation sales or a mediocre result at best, so they could go "Told ya"
>>
File: 1490196280074.jpg (352KB, 1290x850px) Image search: [Google]
1490196280074.jpg
352KB, 1290x850px
>>94735854
>>
File: 90.png (87KB, 1085x747px) Image search: [Google]
90.png
87KB, 1085x747px
>>94740419
>>
>>94738960
>Houser has kids
Color me surprised then. Usually these types not only don't have kids but actively embrace the childfree mindset and loathe the very idea.

I'm not going to blame her for Annie being aged up (to what looks like tween/middle school age?), that was almost certainly a directive from editorial. Doubt she had any control over it.

>>94738224
I know people cry when it's used but Annie's costume is supposed to be ugly. Stegman talked about how when he was doing concept art for the books, his own daughter was learning how to ride a bike so being a dad with a kid around the same age as Annie so he designed it from the mindset of an overprotective dad.
>>
>>94740486
So, it sells almost as much as Daredevil and Bendi's Iron Doom

it's low, though for a not Main Brand it's decent... they can spin it as "it wasn't a failure but you loser didn't buy it as much as you claimed loudly you would have". There is the first trade out, yet?
>>
>>94740419
25k+ which is roughly mid tier nowadays for Marvel. It is slightly below Daredevil, Punisher and Infamous Iron Man.
>>
>>94740521
Yeah. The theory about aging her up so that they can make a new Spidergirl ongoing sounds way too plausible. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to ship her with Miles if Bendis gets his hands on her.
>>
>>94737638
Nice Fanfiction faggot, you only got the fact that Waid was gonna write Captain America right and not even that right

and Marvel doesn't fire it's SJW writers point and case being Squirrel Girl, America, and Moon Girl; so unfortunately RYV is gonna make us suffer
>>
>>94740424
Well now I definitely can't drop it if it means sticking it to Marvel. Gives new meaning to "FUCK YOU TAKE MY MONEY"
>>
>>94738024
In the shittiest way that you can't even imagine and then they'll pat themselves on the back and pretend it's one of the best ideas ever.
>>
>>94740690
He's probably the same guy who made this thread:

http://desuarchive.org/co/thread/94293030
>>
>>94740659
>I wouldn't be surprised if they try to ship her with Miles if Bendis gets his hands on her.
Holy shit. Can you imagine the threads? Just Endless BLACKED and BENDISED posts for pages and pages...
>>
Renew your Vows is the last Marvel book out of 40 I still buy too. It gets cancelled/goes to shit I guess I'm completely done with Marvel after 20+ years unless something drastically changes
>>
>>94740690
Moon Girl isn't particularly SJW. A book can star a black girl and not be SJW.
>>
>>94735854
>Marvel ruins the one last book I was pulling from them
Thanks a lot, you fucks. You couldn't leave well enough alone.

Why not just kill off MJ and make Peter sterile why you're at it. Isn't that what you hacks want?
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.