[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 14

>"Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!"

So essentially a strong, fast, durable guy.
Frost breath can technically be explained by a stretch, but how exactly does this include flight and heat-vision?

I know they started making him fly to make it easy on the animators when the cartoon came around, but has there been a canon "scientific" explanation other than just "he can fly because sunlight" and "his eyes shoot stored sunlight"?

Does he have secret kryptonian organs allowing him to do these things too?
>>
>>94711309
>I don't read comics and I'm a shitty normalfag
Remember to sage /tv/shitters.
>>
>>94711319
I wouldn't say I'm a normie, but I confess to not having read the comics in about 12-13 years.

I can't remember if it's just a stupid thing I thought as a kid or if I read it somewhere, but I used to think he was just so strong he could essentially just "pull" himself forward continuously. Basically breaking how physics work because strong.
>>
>>94711319
>I'm an elitist and don't want to help new people get into the fandom by discussing the comics with them

No wonder comic books are a dying industry.

No wonder comics have to reboot and re-invent existing characters to make them relevant again.

Remember that elitists are sucking the fun out of the hobby.
>>
>>94711358
>>94711373
You dumb fucks are bumping a /tv/ thread. Elitism is how we preserve what is good about the hobby.
>>
>>94711309
>explanations
>in a comic book
No you big dummy
>>
>>94711390
b-but /co/ is love!
>>
>>94711497
Not if we want to preserve what little good there is. Remember to sage.
>>
>>94711390
Please no bully. I'm genuinely curious about the lore, and googling gave me some answers, but not satisfactory ones, which is why I come to you guys, The Elite.

Own up to that word guys. I'd much rather put my stake on your wisdom than a wiki article.

Also Supes' flight seemed like a good conversation topic anyway, since there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer, at least afaik.
>>
>>94711309
tactile telekinesis
>>
>>94711684
>googling
>spaces between sentences
LEAVE THIS PLACE
Remember to sage. Especially you, OP.
>>
>>94711702
>>94711381
why have people been getting so autistic about spacing
>>
>>94711722
Because the style of typing is also used on reddit and facebook, meaning that someone who uses it is likely a normalfag.
>>
>>94711722
Because its a clear indication that whoever is posting has nothing worthwhile to say.
>>
Superman flies by emitting an energy that manipulates gravity. This aura extends to anything he touches, which is how he can lift large objects without them falling apart. Keep in mind he still lifts them with his own strength, the energy just keeps them from collapsing under their own weight.
>>
>>94711698
Is this ever specifically confirmed in the comics?

I know it's essentially confirmed through his actions but is it ever brought up by name?

>>94711737
>>94711738
>been posting like this since 2005
>nobody ever said a word

I think we can spot the real bandwagon newfriends here.
>>
>>94711752
Prove that you've been posting since 2005.
>>
>>94711743
What in Superman generates this aura?

"Kryptonian cellular magic" is not a viable answer.
>>
>>94711737
>meaning that someone who uses it is likely a normalfag
That's a pretty big fucking leap in logic.
>>
>>94711792
Says the moron who doesn't know to sage a /tv/ thread.
>>
>>94711801
Only thing /tv/ about this thread is the gif OP used.
>>
>>94711767
I can't, but I'm trying to be as civil as possible. No need to sperg out over post spacing and shit on the thread. I just assume posts with "air" in them will be more comfortable to read than big blocks of continuous sentences.

>>94711813
Thank you. I realize it was a bad call to use that now. I could have asked there as well but I assumed you guys would have much more interesting facts/theories about the subject.
>>
>>94711813
And the questions he's asking.
>>
>>94711830
He's asking questions specifically about comics and cartoons though.
>>
>>94711829
>can't prove it
>attempts to legitimize and garner support for opinions rather than ignoring criticism
Obviously a new/normalfag
>>
>>94711885
How would you want him to prove it?
>>
>>94711895
Screencaps or old memes like politician hand position wrestling names.
>>
Didn't one writer of Supes posit (can't remember if he made it canon in an offshoot or not), that Krypton had intense gravity so all kryptonians were born with an organ to counteract the gravitational pull?

Upon reaching earth Supes "antigrav" organ eventually developed enough to make him fly.
>>
Superman's concentration in combination with super strength allows him to project a pressurized stream of fluid out of his eyes which heats up against friction with the air because of how insanely fast it's traveling.
>>
File: 5693104-2577219974-Super[1].jpg (365KB, 800x1215px) Image search: [Google]
5693104-2577219974-Super[1].jpg
365KB, 800x1215px
>>94711925

I can't prove I'm the same guy posting, nor do I still have those screencaps (like 4 PCs ago), but I once stood as a black man with an afro and a suit in a swastika formation in a hotel.

NOW for the next topic:
Heat Vision, magical absurdity or plausible ability?
>>
>>94711309
A more important question: If he really tried, or was mind-controlled to, could he break his own neck or stab himself with his own hands to kill himself?

Or pic related?
>>
>>94711989
That would ruin his eyesight completely every time he used it as it would go through his lens and possibly cornea.

It is clearly light or heat based, but whether its heat causing the air to ignite as plasma making the beams visible, or if it's a concentrated beam of photons, I don't know.

I suppose the heat version makes more sense, as that seems the most plausible way for him to somehow "repurpose" solar energy. I guess what I really want to know is literally the details of anatomy making these abilities possible.
>>
File: sman_656[1].jpg (15KB, 158x352px) Image search: [Google]
sman_656[1].jpg
15KB, 158x352px
>>94712177
>>94711992
>>94711934

Found this on a forum.
Superman's organs from Superman #656 Men and Monsters.

He clearly has a different anatomy to humans here that could explain away everything he does really. I don't know how canon this is though, considering he's outwardly completely human (mostly).
>>
>>94712254
Isn't that Kevin O'Neill? If it is, did you expect anything but madness?

Also, pincers.
>>
Why have there been so many "how does Superman fly?" threads lately? Is this the new "why doesn't Batman kill the Joker?"?
>>
>>94712177
Finding out cost billions of dollars and built Apollo, then Henry Fucking Bendix killed everyone who worked on it.
>>
Everything in the universe is energy. Most super powers can be explained by an unconscious or conscious manipulation of energy from one form to another.
Superman absorbs energy from the sun in the form of radiation, but only a certain wavelength of radiation is the most effective.

>Super strength and speed
Superman converts stored sun energy into mechanical energy allowing him to move quicker and punch harder as well as be more durable.

>Laser Vision
Superman adds energy to the surrounding air causing it to super heat. Or he expels some of his stored energy into a concentrated beam. Theoretically he wouldn't need to do this from his eyes, but superman isn't the most creative hero.

>X-Ray Vision
The same as laser vision, but uses a wavelength of light that's in the x-ray spectrum.

>Flight
If superman can control the kinetic and potential energy that affects his body, he could easily cancel the effects of gravity and move himself freely. Gravity isn't really that strong. We defy gravity every time we stand up.
>>
>>94711702
You know you wanted to call it reddit spacing but that would've outed you as a faggot too.

Spacing isn't an indicator of anything but the fact that the reply window is small and short paragraphs look like blocks.
>>
>>94712628
>as well as be more durable.
really all that matters in super speed if we're being "realistic". Though i think they've theorized with better shoe tech and training we could go past it.

Human legs can't go past like 29 mph. Our muscles can't twitch fast enough or take the force of the step so they'd likely tear at that speed for any significant time.
>>
File: IMG_1772.jpg (136KB, 390x942px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1772.jpg
136KB, 390x942px
>>94711319
>>94711390
>>94711516
I'll help you, OP: There's no good reason. Superman's cells store solar radiation and he expends it to power his lasers, muscles, brain and (making less sense) his flight.

Don't listen to autists like this queer.
>>
>>94711702
>le reddit spacing meme
Stop trying so hard to fit in
>>
File: grant-morrison.jpg (126KB, 589x331px) Image search: [Google]
grant-morrison.jpg
126KB, 589x331px
how superman's powers work doesn't really matter, i dont see how its important to the story,

does it matter what investments Wayne enterprises made to become the conglomerate it is today? no, all you really need to know is that batman is rich, anything thats not important the the story is irrelevant.
>>
>>94711772
>Kryptonian cellular scienece
>>
>>94712878
You're right, but to me personally what interests me the most about comics about superheroes is how it all works, and the intricacies/rules of the extreme paranormal elements, like Supes and Flash.
>>
>>94711992
couldn't heatvision be explained by Kal having special eyes? LIke if he flexes certain muscles in/near his eyes some sort of reflector thingey appears and it focuses the natural sunlight and intensifies it times a billion?
>>
>>94712878
We take all that shit seriously because most comics are supposed to be grounded in a facsimile of our own world, hence its fun to make sense of things the best we can with real world logic, even if it's just headcanon.

We are essentially acting like the crowd of people in the comic itself would going "how the hell does this guy fly around?" when he zooms overhead.
>>
>>94712628
Forgot one.
>Ice breath
Temperature is just the kinetic energy of molecules. Superman removes energy from the air inside or surrounding his mouth then blows it forward.

>>94712990
But then he wouldn't be able to use heat vision inside or in the dark.
>>
>>94713024
Another explanation of ice breath is simply his lung and lip strength allows him to blow air compressed and fast enough with an extreme pressure to rapidly cool the surrounding air.

How this works over large areas and distances he sometimes does is pure suspension of disbelief though.
>>
>>94711925
Not that guy but I was there when GNAA spammed for GETs around... I want to say 7M or 8M on /b/. And I honestly don't give a shit about how you use carriage returns and line feeds as long as you don't get silly with it.
>>
>>94713127
This.

Blow your hand. It feels cold.
He's literally doing that, but he's Superman.
>>
>>94712878
I don't entirely agree with Morrison here. How Superman flies and who (Alfred presumably) pumps the tires is something you can write a story about, or have it be relevant. But if it isn't relevant to the story, who gives a shit except the sort of people who write stuff on Wookiepedia?
>>
>>94713261
If a villain figured out some sort of weakness to his flight and was able to remove it in a dire situation, it could make for an interesting plot.
>>
>>94713261
>>94713290
>if superman flies slower than X mph he explodes
>>
>>94713127
>>94713221
I thought about that and then did some research.
Essentially what you're doing is when you blow through pursed lips you're creating a faster stream of air than you would when you blow with an open mouth. This causes the hot hair you blow to mix in with the air of the room quicker. Essentially the air becomes room temperature, not colder. And since air that is moving feels cooler (similar to how wind chill works), the air feels cooler.
Try blowing with your lips pursed but put your finger really close to your mouth. It'll still feel warm.

If superman were to do this he'd be blowing an extremely fast, pressurized, stream of air at the temperature of whatever environment he's in.
Correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm really an amateur when it comes to physics.
>>
>>94713343
You're right, but that stream of air holding body temperature will still be travelling so fast it will rapidly cool any surface it comes into contact with. Won't it?

I don't know physics either, at least not the aero kind.
>>
Why are Kryptonians affected by yellow sunlight anyway? Why would a species evolve to have reactions why a type of radiation they have never experienced before?
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (143KB, 622x263px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
143KB, 622x263px
>>94713343
With his strength he can pressurize his lung contents into liquid gases easily, and if we imagine a monstrously superhuman lung-capacity, he'll technically be blowing a giant stream of liquid oxygen and nitrogen that instantly vaporizes. This DEFINITELY cools the surrounding air.

This is also mostly how this power is depicted. As if he was a giant canister of spray-cooling.
>>
>>94711772
its the same reason the Martians can read minds, its something that Kryptonians simply can do once they've soaked in yellow sun rays.

they were probably put on Krypton by the Guardians, fearing their potential.
>>
File: 1495707530553.gif (2MB, 639x348px) Image search: [Google]
1495707530553.gif
2MB, 639x348px
>>94712878
ALFRED PUMPS THE TIRES REEEEEEEEEEEEE FUCKING NORMIES
>>
>>94712084
A more important question is, is Wonder Woman's uterus the only one on the planet that could contain his super sperm?
>>
>>94711743
Tactical Telekenisis is just a John Byrne thing, and even then John Byrne never kept it consistent
>>
>>94713444
They didn't evolve to have reactions, more than likely it's a byproduct of some other type of evolutionary advantage.
Cockroaches can potentially survive a nuclear explosion because of how they molt (or something). It wasn't that they evolved to survive extreme radiation, it just happened that way.
The red sun of Kyrpton was old and gave off less radiation. Kryptonians could have evolved in a way that allowed their cells to not only store more a lot of the sun's energy, but also capture it way more efficiently.
Our yellow sun basically supercharges Kryptonian cells. It's just a byproduct of their own evolution.
>>
>>94713791
Nah, Superman has super pelvic muscle control and can control the strength of his ejaculations
>>
>>94713791
>Big Barda
>Starfire
>Maxima
>Mongal
>Powergirl
>Lashina
There are others, no doubt
>>
>>94712444
Why doesn't Superman just rape Darksied?
>>
>>94712084
Kryptonite gun? Yes, assuming the gun is strong enough. I mean, there was that multiverse comic where superman's pod crashed in gotham, killing bruce's parents and burning most of his face.

Batman's entire plan consisted of finding where the dick superman was and shooting him with a kryptonite bullet then shooting himself

The suicide part would only work if he was mind-controlled, i assume his pain reflexes would stop him from tearing himself apart.
>>
>>94711702
You know someone is trying hard to fit in when they bring up "reddit spacing" and "sage" (which hasn't worked for years)
>>
>>94713932
>i assume his pain reflexes would stop him from tearing himself apart

I don't know if there's anyone strong enough, but if superman was incapacitated, a telekinetic could take over his body like a puppeteer and make him pull his own head off or something.
>>
>>94713887
>Starfire
>kid has double sun powers
Pretty rad
>>
are you of those faggots that needs technobabble explanations to enjoy something
>>
>>94711309
Whelp you can try

READING THE GODDAMN BOOK FAGGOT
>>
File: 323262.png (146KB, 459x302px) Image search: [Google]
323262.png
146KB, 459x302px
>>94711309
Wikis exist for casualfags like yourself>>94711684
>>
>>94711752
Bitch we all know goddamn well you were not even born in 2005

fuck off casualfag
>>
>>94711934
I recall the aura was something related to Krypton having a weak atmosphere and magnetosphere so life on krypton evolved some kind of weak solar powered aura that protected them from the higher amounts of solar radiation.

Plus by Kal's time the kryptonian species had been genetically engineered to physical and mental perfection for the better part of a few hundred thousand years so that might have had a hand in it.
>>
>>94712444
Normie bullshit invasion from /tv/cucks that have not and will never open a book
>>
>>94713987
Sage still works, you just can't see it.
>>
aaaaaand /tv/ happens yet again on co
>>
>>94711829
You really can't even be bothered to go look up and quote some circa 2005 memes?
>>
File: 1449085916730s.jpg (10KB, 250x229px) Image search: [Google]
1449085916730s.jpg
10KB, 250x229px
>>94715479
fucking reddit spacing
>>
>>94711829
you thought wrong
now go back
>>
>>94711698
Fucking casual.

That's Superboy power using his bioaura
>>
I've read before that Superman has special muscles in his pecs that causes him to fly. All he has to do is flex them.
>>
>>94715628
This is a thread of nothing but casualfaggotry
>>
>>94712254
Huh, he really does have a big heart.
>>
>shitters sperg out /a/ style at the start of thread
>calms down and becomes civilized discussion in the middle
>shitters back in full force after a few hours

School's out I guess.
>>
>>94715835
What kind of super special thing are they trying to preserve here by losing their shit as someone asking questions anyway?
>>
File: 1310581525531.jpg (7KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
1310581525531.jpg
7KB, 300x250px
>>94715835
>>94715871
Hi samefag, or is it normie casualfag
>>
>>94713791
>Is a question only a /tv/cuck would ask
>>
>>94715871
>muh sekrit club
>>
>>94715654
>>94711358

This is what I thought too.
>>
>>94716064
in a public forum that absolutely anyone can post on
>>
File: sadbat.gif (124KB, 448x256px) Image search: [Google]
sadbat.gif
124KB, 448x256px
>ITT: 3 jaded loudmouths mad because OP doesn't read the books

I thought we were better than /a/ at least.
>>
>>94711390
No elitism is how /a/ preserves their unwarranted sense of superiority. Maybe you should fuck off to there.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.