[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>it's a 'News vendor and lesbian subplot with that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1242.jpg (551KB, 1285x2029px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1242.jpg
551KB, 1285x2029px
>it's a 'News vendor and lesbian subplot with that retarded comic being read interrupting the main plot' section of the comic
>>
>it's a "mindless dumbass unsuccessfully tries to criticize a comic" thread
>>
>>94702119
Kinda have to agree with OP on this one. It wasn't as worthless as OP's saying but it was a pretty annoying interruption.
>>
>"I want more stories to immerse me into their worlds and build upon them, like lemme see what they read or what's on their minds."

>"No, not like that."

Just watch the Snyder flick then, it cuts out all that pesky world building.
>>
>>94702301
There's a difference between the world building being implemented in cool ways and literally interrupting what you're reading for some random pirate story
I read every single piece of information regarding the world in between each chapter, those were awesome. Not this annoying news vendor guy who kept repeating himself
>>
>>94701926
Several points
> It allows to emphasize that superheroes are just more people, and aren't any more important than bystanders, which gives the third act bigger significance
> it's there to increase emotional impact for the third act, since we actually care about the victims
> news vendor subplot justifies existence of Tales of the Black Freighter, which parallels the entire comic
> if you think Tales of the Black Freighter was "retarded" reread it again, this time realizing it's symbolic of the entire plot of Watchmen
> also, these scenes add to worldbuilding, giving us a better sense of exactly what world are heroes trying to save
> and of course, they transfer the apocalyptic atmosphere of mid-80s where everyone thought world was gonna end soon, but still kept with their lives, which fits with explosion in the third act, as entire book as analogy to Cold War
Final grade: E-, reread it again, this time with comprehension
>>
File: 1494876892585.png (262KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1494876892585.png
262KB, 500x333px
>>94701926
>>94702244
>These idiots don't know the meaning of the Black Freighter on the story
Because both of you are dumb I'll have to give you two a rundown.
The Black Freighter is a mirror of Watchmen's main plot, Watchmen starts with a murder while the Black Freighter starts with a survivor. Watchmen ends with Ozymandias committing a crime and thinking he did right while the Black Freighter ends with the main character committing a crime and accepting his guilt.
>>
>>94702341
>for some random pirate story
It's about Ozymandias.
>>
>>94701926
Kingdom Come has amuch better story and far better art- and it has real superheroes, not garbage OCs, for fucks sake.
>>
File: 1502909882931.png (307KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
1502909882931.png
307KB, 403x403px
>>94703145
>>
>>94701926
Everytime someone's criticizes Watchmen I gain a little more faith in humanity.
>>
>>94703145
You realize Watchmen characters are just alternate version of Charlston superheroes, right?
Manhattan is really Captain Atom, Nite Owl is Ted Kord Blue Beetle (and first Nite Owl is Dan Garrett one), Rohrshach is Question, Silk Spectre is Nightshade, Comedian is Peacemaker, and Ozymandias is Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt.
They use different names and designs because it's an Elsworlds story and after Crisis on Infinite Earths DC wanted to cut down on multiple versions of the characters that bore the same name to make things less confusing.

So Watchmen IS using established superheroes, you moron.
>>
>>94701926
I have read watchmen at least 7 times and I always skip the retarded pirate comic. If I wanted some edgelord comic about pirates I'd have bought that book instead.
>>
>>94703472
Oh, I forgot to mention - when Grant Morrison was making a Watchmen homage for Multiversity with Pax Americana, he actually used original Charlston characters in place of Watchmen characters, so Question fills Rohrshach's role, etc.
>>
>>94702414
> if you think Tales of the Black Freighter was "retarded" reread it again, this time realizing it's symbolic of the entire plot of Watchmen

This is a finer capacity that everyone has varying degrees of. Even just taking the story as a potential omen, some potential descriptor of what's going to happen (I haven't read the comic in 10 years, admittedly) is a part of the "symbolic excitement". In other words, when stories seem like so much more, they also mean so much more. The more parallels and observations of your own you bring to a story or a symbol, the more you can get out of it.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.