[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets say comics went down the manga route and had only one writer,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: nintchdbpict000000487769.jpg (239KB, 703x960px) Image search: [Google]
nintchdbpict000000487769.jpg
239KB, 703x960px
Lets say comics went down the manga route and had only one writer, the creator, told a single story, and actually ended after that story's conclusion? How much better do comics become?
>>
you can't speak for all the comics. some do become better but also a lot of opportunities gets lost
>>
>>94644136
They don't. Creator owned stuff is fine, but if other writers were never allowed to expand on a previous writer's work then we'd miss out on a lot great stories.
>>
>>94644136
you'd have more variety at the top but "better" is hard to argue.
>>
>>94644136
worse
>>
>>94644136
Having Batman only created by Bob Kane for all time would basically make Batman shit.

I'm all for creators retaining rights to their characters and properties, and I think that comic creators in particular have been fucked out of their creations in some ways despite them signing contracts willingly that does so. But if i were a comic creator and I created some really popular characters, if I ran out of stories to tell I'd let other writers come to me with story proposals and I'd let them go off on anything good they come up with. Then once I'm dead I'd make my shit all public domain like Dracula and people can just go fucking nuts desu and the good stuff will be remembered and those creators will get acclaim and the bad stuff generally just fals by the wayside forever.
>>
>>94644180
>>94644922
Mignola has a shitload of writters working under his guidance.

His universe is also superior, makes much more sense and is way more developed than any shit from Marvel and DC.
>>
>>94644136
We would've been rid of fanboy writers like Johns, Byrne, Roy Thomas etc.
>>
>>94644922
In all honesty, most comic book writing comes off as shitty fan fiction these days
>>
>>94645032
Yeah and Mignola is one alive guy, and like you said he has other writers working for him.

In most cases, the best superhero stories for the most popular character we have today were not even penned by their creators. Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Captain Marvel, Captain America, Wolverine, Wonder Woman, the X-Men in general, Green Lantern, Dare Devil, Swamp Thing. I really can't think of any mainstream comic characters where their definitive stories were written by the people who conceived of them.
>>
>>94644136

It either works out fine, our the formula goes stale after a while.

I think that Walking Dead is a prime example of going stale. While i got slightly hyped after the last chapter, i haven't really cared about it for a while now.
>>
>>94644136
Do you realize just how batshit insane the pacing was? One page has Batman hearing about a thing, investigating for two panels, a panel of Batman in his batcave running some tests, then the next page is dedicated to the confrontation and fight of the bad guy.
>>
File: mxDi8XQ.gif (1MB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
mxDi8XQ.gif
1MB, 800x533px
>>94646774
>batshit
>>
>>94644136
Well, some comics are better. Some are much, much worse, such as the Batman run.
In the end, we get stuff like Japan- instead of one long running story, we get the same story told over and over again, slightly differently.
It doesn't improve shit, because the good writers can work with either and make good stuff.
The whole Wolfman thing about canon chaining the best writer to the worst is retarded, because the best art throughout history has worked with restrictions.
>>
>>94645032
You're a lunatic if you think the mignolaverse is more developed than the Marvel or DC universe.

That's just simply not true under any rational employment of the word developed.

The rest is probably true.
>>
File: 51eMSyrURHL._SL1500_.jpg (59KB, 324x500px) Image search: [Google]
51eMSyrURHL._SL1500_.jpg
59KB, 324x500px
>>94644136
They become most comics outside of DC/Marvel.

At least GLANCE at a comiclist before assuming they're all company owned characters in never ending stories.
>>
>>94645225
Master Planner arc was by Stan and Jack. That has the famous collapsed underwater base lifting scene.

As a matter of fact, Spidey would fare much, much better than most heroes.
>>
>>94644159
Something like Watchmen would be impossible in a manga environment. It simply wouldn't speak to as many people or have the same impact.
>>
>>94647242
That was Ditko, not Kirby
>>
>>94644136
It varies. Batman wouldn't have been as good as it was if it was only Bob Kane doing it. But then again Bob Kane got into the industry to be a successful comic strip cartoonist (the kind who becomes so successful that they're able to hire uncredited assistants to ghost for them) so it probably would've been done by others anyway.

Kirby's Fourth World would be great had he been able to tell the story all the way to its conclusion (and he kinda/sorta did with Hunger Dogs and Captain Victory).

If Swamp Thing was done by just Wein and Wrightson only I think it would've still been a classic. But then you don't get Alan Moore's run.
>>
>>94647190
Marvel and DC universes aren't developed. They are a clusterfuck that doesn't make actual sense in a continuous narrative, and barely anything has weight or impact.
>>
>>94648012
Okay, you are right.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.