[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bendis Daredevil Pt. 1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 278
Thread images: 235

I hope everyone is ready for the first of many threads wherein I chronicle Bendis' tenure on Daredevil. I'm going to start with his three compendiums (They're massive) and post till they are all finished. Afterward, I'm going to post Daredevil: The End as a nice little cap to the story. I'm going to start earlier than normal because I have a tendency to procrastinate because I get caught up doing other stuff. Gonna try to stay on the ball.
>>
>>94631692
I'm ready OP. Go for it.
>>
I know some may consider this blasphemy, but I really don't like the early issues with Mack. I'm not saying they're bad, but the art is actually offputting to me and makes reading it quite a chore. I'll pick up when we get to the first Maleev arc.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94631799
Thanks for the encouragement /co/mrade. After this is finished (which may take a while), I'm going to do Powers up to The Bureau using the TPB's. I'd like to hear what you guys would want to read afterward.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Couple non tread related questions to all those that may be reading, which one of these sounds more appealing?

1. Ewing's Marvel Saga
>Loki: Agent of Asgard
>Contest of Champions
>Mighty Avengers
>Captain America & Mighty Avengers
>Ultimates Vol. 1
>New Avengers
>US Avengers
>Ultimate Vol. 2
>They'd be posted in this order.

2. X-Men Saga (to an extent)
>Morrison' New X-MEn
>Whedon's X-Men as a followup.

3.Captain Underpants
>I wanna thank whoever ripped them. They are a god among men.

4. Hush Saga
>Batman: Hush
>HEart of Hush
>House of Hush

5. Justice League: Generation Lost #1-24

6. Secret Six Volumes 1-4
>>
>>94632387
I'd vote for the Ewing saga. Generation Lost and most of Secret six was run in the last year (I can't remember if the OP finished it or not).

Try making a strawpoll for voting.
>>
Superman: Manchester BLack Confrontations
>Action Comics #775
>Superman: Ending Battle
>Supermain Tomasi Issues

Green Arrow by Lemiere
Stormwatch (New 52)

Ultimates
>Vol. 1 by Millar
>Vol. 2 by Millar
>Vol. 3 by Loeb
>Utlimatum
>Ultimate Comics: New Ultimates
>Ultimate Avengers Vol. 1-3
>Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates
>Ultimates (Hickman)
>ULtimates (Humphries)
>Ultimates (Fialkov)
>Cataclysm?
>Ultimate End
>I'm kinda favoring this one but I would appreciate a more consistent reading order.
>Also I'd bee cool with Ewing
>>
>>
>>
Here is a short strawpoll I put together.
http://www.strawpoll.me/13700337
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94631812
I absolutely LOVE David Mack, but even he considers himself a bad artist. He's a writer first and foremost and when he writes his own stuff it's with his style in mind. >>94631915 is straight out of Kabuki style.

It's funny cause he wanted Bendis to do the art for his first Kabuki story and Bendis pressured him to do the art. Now it's full circle and Bendis getting him or art
>>
ANyone reading along?
>I know the Mack issues aren't quite what people ad in mind but they're still a neat intro to the main series.
>>
>>94631812
Shit opinion.
>>
>>94633378
It's weird remembering that Bendis got his start as an artist before going predominately writing. Something about someone being both a writer an artist ensures we get their vision for the work. Part of the reason why The Dark Knight Returns is as well structured as it is. Another instance is Cooke's New Frontier. It is absolutely godlike

>>94633407
Cool beans.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94632026
>>94632039
>>94632056
>>94632083
this is a good exchange
>>
>>
Totally spaced. Now we are getting to the issues I enjoy. I'm glad that Bendis actually attempted to write Matt as a lawyer instead of just someone who beats people to a pulp in a red Batman outfit.
>>
Concerning the straw poll, three people have voted and they all voted for different stuff. Interesting.
>>
>>94632135
spectacular
>>
>>
>>
>>94632387
Ewing is something different
>>
>>94634255
Do you think someone's fucking with you? There was an anon named PM-IF Anon (Powerman-IronFist) who did this run a few months ago, and there was a guy who got VERY upset that Bendis was being storytimed. He even made the thread on a few nights to ruin the flow of the storytime
>>
I never really completely understood Nitro's powers. Does he generate explosions or is he himself the explosion? Does he sent out incendiary blasts or shockwaves?
>>
>>94632660
>Green Arrow by Lemiere
I changed my mind. I haven't read that yet
>>
>>
>>94634359
That is a good choice, it feels like Lemiere's take at a Daredevil esque series. I'm not trying to diminish Lemiere, but that's the vibe the series gives off. I really enjoyed it.

>>94634344
I'll keep that in mind. I'm still okay with any of the options on the Strawpoll.
>>
Bendis didn't absolutely caption crazy in this page. So much text.
>>
>>
>>
Can Nitro do this? I'm not 100% on his powers.
>>
God damn.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94631812
>but the art is actually offputting to me

i kinda thought that was intentional
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
I just recently recieved Ultimates VOl. 1 & 2 by Millar as well as just purchasing the Ultimate Avengers Omnibus. So fucking pumped. All the Ultimate Avengers volumes are awesome and the last one (Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates) ends the saga in an epic set of issues that, while not the greatest, provides a fun and entertaining ending to this ridiculous arc.
>>
>>94634683
My man!!!!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94634751
This.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94632850
kek, ok that's good
>>
>>
>>
>>94634344
The shitposter was upset that he was shitting on Bendis. Honestly, I'll never be able to thank PM-IFAnon enough because it was thanks to his DD storytimes that I realized just how overrated Bendis' run is.
>>
Just bought Wanted by Millar as well. I personally love Mark Millar as a writer and hate that he gets shat on so much here. He is a writer that presents an absolutely fascinating style of dialog that incorporates heart, political intrigue, and a certain
"bite" to the characters. He's normally paired with fantastic artists that allow his best characteristics to shine through. Without doubt I can confidently say he has been a significant influence in my own writing. He may not be the greatest writer but he manages to take superpowers to the absoute limit while still retaining human characters at the heart of his story.
>>
>>
>>
>>94633032
Man, I came to read Daredevil but this is damn awesome Ulrich story
>>
Just realized this is one of Bendis' silent issues. Although it may not seem like much of an achievement, but plotting a silent issue from the writer's point of view isn't easy. It requires two things. A fundamentally understanding of the major story beats that need to be told while finding a dramatic picture/post that adequately encapsulates the moment with ease. It s much much much much harder than it sounds.

>>94635200
I may not enjoy it myself but I love that other anons can enjoy it. Thanks kind anon. HAZAH!
>>
>>
>>
>>94635223
Yeah, too bad Bendis cheated and used written text as dialogue.
>>
>>
>>
>>94633198
fuck..that art really makes this page brutal
>>
>>94635258
Are you talking about the letter he received warning him of the hitman? I'm willing to mulligan that because it's still part of the art and not actually spoken. No worse than showing the name plate for Nelson and Murdoch. That said, I completely get it.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94632387
Justice League: Generation Lost
>>
>>
>>
>>94635517
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the series where Blue Beetle killed himself? Really tragic. Don't know why Ted would do such a thing. He obviously needed help.
>>
>>
>>94635583
>rabiddogwithYAMEROcaptionedunderhim.jpg
>>
>>
>>94635623
Don't be mad man. There's nothing we could have done to stop what happened to Ted. Max did all he could to stop it. And to think Booster said jack shit at his funeral. Makes you wonder if Booster somehow led to Ted's suicide.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94633813
>world of equals
>SUPER humans
uh...I don't get it
>>
>>
>>
>>94633986
>>94633966
>>94633943
>>94633924
>>94633902
>>94633881
>>94633868
holy shit Mack...that's some amazing use of art to show trama. Fuck....
>>
I love that everyone changes their tone the second Murdoch is mentioned.
>>
>>
>>
Considering that they're both devout Catholics and have a swashbuckler theme going on, why hasn't there been a Daredevil/Nightcrawler team-up?
>>
>>94634049
thanks anon. Just really wanted to read the David Mack stuff. May come back tomorrow for the other stuff, but I'm out now.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94636077
>>
>>
>>94635960
Matt's an atheist
>>
>>94635960
I don't know but I love the way you think
>>
>>
>>
>>94636097
Go die in a fire, Soule.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94502355
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
I like this story
>>
>>
I'm not sure if it's just the art but Fisk's son looks older than Fisk. Or maybe it's just that "Fat Don't Crack".
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94636097
Guess what's getting retconned right after Soule leaves
>>
>>
>>
>>
I feel like this version of Vaness is going to be used for the third Daredevil season.
>>
>>94636448
God bless Maleev for making Kingpin look exactly like Bendis in this run.
>>
>>
>>94636574
Over/under of them adapting Born Again for the third season?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94636606
Definitely over for Born Again. They've gone through the trouble of setting up Karen and we Kingpin now has a personal vendetta against the entire agency. Coupled with the fact we havne't seen Bullseye yet, I feel REALLY confident Born Again is gonna be in play.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Huh...that is really big.
>>
Last issue for the night.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
For those of you working on your own works, can you point to any artists or writers that you consider a significant influence in your work? This is a judgement free zone. Who do you like? Why do you like them? What have you taken away?

>Who do you like?
Brian Michael Bendis
>Why do you like them?
He has a very unique way of presenting dialog that makes his works feel distinct. Also he's not afraid to wrestle control from the artist and let his dialog do the talking.
>What have you taken away?
Try to find a way to make the dialog distinct without creating a singular voice for your cast. Realize that the phrase, "show and don't tell" is not the end all be all and sometimes dialog can be just as important as art.
>>
>>
>>
>>94636672
I will be incredibly pissed off if Bullseye is not in this next season.
>>
Ilove that Daredevil's secret identity is very well known in the supervillain community and the reason why he's not attacked is that Kingpin is fucking scary as hell
>>
>>94637085
I would be too but I got a good feeling about the next Daredevil series. There are so many pieces now in play that have set up for a real endgame. Having Kingpin spend his fat ass in prison all season 2 was genius. Having Karen learn Matt's identity has basically set in stone she's going to die. Having her die prior to leaning the identity would have invalidated Born Again so the fact they kept her around long enough to learn it is an almost definite piece of info that Born again is in the cards.

Also they've spent two seasons and The Defenders establishing that Daredevil has become an absolute monster in the physicality department. Therefore, Bullseye is definitely going to enter the picture as someone ready to wreck his shit.
>>
>>
>>
>>
I love when the "villians" pencils in a hero's portrait to find out there identity.
>>
>>
>>
>>
And this was the moment where Foggy's heartrate skyrotted to new heights.
>Hunt for OSama continues.
>Love it.

Daredevil is too blind to see this message, but if he could he'd know this message says, "You guys are the greatest. Seriously, this is the best board on 4chan. You guys make it all worth it.
>>
>>94637034
The only reason I'm cool with Bendis is because of your prior threads. Apparently he's not as shit as previously thought. For influence, I'd say Alab Moore for obvious reasons. Watchmen and Miracleman are so beyond most of current comics.
>>
Also it looks like after POwers everyone wants an Ewing thread. WOuld it be okay to post in the following order?

1. Mighty Avengers
2. Captain America and Mighty Avengers
3. Contest of Champions
4. Loki Agent of Asgard
5. New Avengers
6. Ultimates Vol. 1
7. US Avengers
8. Ultimates Vol. 2

If anyone can tell me the correct order to post I'd love you long time
>>
>>94638259
I'm pretty sure Contest of Champions comes after Agent of Asgard.

Also, fuck that comic for making me waste time with the mobile game
>>
>>94638314
So if I post the following in chronological order peeps would be cool with that. Also, while I'm enjoying the prospect of Powers TPB edition because the scans are the best they've ever been, would you guys want me to do Ewing prior to POwers?

1. Mighty Avengers
2. Captain America and Mighty Avengers
3. Loki: Agent of Asgard
4. Contest of Champions
5. New Avengers
6. Ultimates Vol. 1
7. US Avengers
8. Ultimates Vol. 2
>>
>>94638553
>would you guys want me to do Ewing prior to POwers?
Sure, since you did do Powers just a few months ago
>>
>>94638623
I did enjoy POwers a few months ago but I didn't have these scans that are much more organized and prettier. But as long as you can say the storyline posting order is legit, I'll be down for doing Ewing after I finish the Bendis storytime. Just wanna make sure I'm not forgetting anything and at least somewhat following the appropriate posting order.
>Posting Ewing's Ultimates agian is gonna be a treat.

Ewing's Ultimates (both volumes) are truly titles worthy of the Ultimate moniker in terms of scale/content. In fact, I actually enjoy all Ultiamtes Comics (even Loeb's). They all feel fundamentally distinct from Avengers comics that came before in a very big way (although some may disagree). I think the true sign of a Ultimate Comic is the fact they would probably never ever appear in a mainline title. For instance, Tony's Tumor, Gregory Stark, Gwen-Carnage, and Ultimatum could have never ever ver been done in the 616 but we still get them for the 1610 Universe.
>>
>>94631692
You are the best, OP! Thank you!
>>
>>94639718
No you're the best. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the good people on /co/. When I visited here more than a decade ago I didn't have any appreciation for comics but since I've met some people here and gotten exposed to some grade A comics and even started building my own collection. God do I love this board
>>
Bump! I actually enjoy Bendis because of this thread. Who would have thought?
>>
>>94640652
It works best when he DOES NOT interact with other people outside of the Daredevil bubble, because then it becomes apparent that Bendis does not understand how time works in the Marvel universe, the basic history of the Marvel universe, and the proper characterisation for other people.
>>
>>94634518
Nitro became kind of a villain legend due to certain events in comics. As ever, his power level oscillates based on the writer. He's base power set should be explosion through detonation of his body parts and constant body reforming to rival the strongest healing factor.
>>
Remember when Bendis was good?
*sigh*
>>
>DiCaprio Peter
Thread posts: 278
Thread images: 235

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.