[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that Archie is kill, what are the odds of getting a new Sonic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 19

File: Screenshot_20170813-170718.png (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170813-170718.png
1MB, 2560x1440px
Now that Archie is kill, what are the odds of getting a new Sonic animated series?

Sonic Boom is a treasure but it's not what I'm talking about and you know it.
>>
It's doubtful but honestly not unreasonable. Sonic's sort of...always relevant so I can't imagine Boom being the last sonic cartoon.
>>
File: Donald on reddit.png (252KB, 662x282px) Image search: [Google]
Donald on reddit.png
252KB, 662x282px
>>94629632
>that reddit spacing
wew lad
>>
>>94629632
It's ok Arin, we like MegaMan too.
>>
>>94629632
Sonic being "edgy" in the 90's was an American thing. Japanese Sonic was somewhat serious, cocky, and a bit of a jerk, things that will always be "cool".

Go rewatch Sonic CD's opening, and tell me it doesn't hold up today. Silent Sonic is best Sonic.
>>
>>94628927
Sonic Boom was a planned multi media thing, and its success was kind of a perfect storm of circumstance and writing.
i really think that it depends on who brings SEGA a unique idea when it BOOM fades away
>>
>>94629662
Just how much of a newfag are you?
>>
>>94629632
Total bullshit. Adventure represented a lack of faith in the franchise but classic Sonic is completely timeless. Sonic's completely antiquated idea of cool is never shown in the five classic 2D titles. He only had a little bit of attitude like tapping his foot and wagging his finger. Contrary to what you think, Sonic didn't originally chase trends, he set them.

The Mania animation completely seal the deal on this issue. Sonic can have his personality in tact while also having a simpler, cuter appearance that works in any era.
>>
>>94630063
At least bump with image.
>>
The studio animating Boom is doing the Sly Cooper cartoon now, so there might not be a season 3 of Boom. Especially now that its been left to die on Boomerang.

So a new cartoon has a decent chance.
>>
>>94630104
>Especially now that its been left to die

*Especially now that it's been left to die
>>
>>94628927
What's does /co/ think about the sonic OVA?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-bIawOdFNu4

Saw it last night and it was pretty alright. Some of the voices are annoying but I think they got sonic character spot on.
>>
About something with heros? Like Sonic heroes. SONIC HEEEROOES SONIC HEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw6KRkx0vNg
>>
>>94630119
who the fuck cares you raging autist
>>
>>94629942
Knowing how recent the "reddit spacing" meme is, pretty damn. It's amazing how quickly newfags bite that bait.
>>
>>94628927
Archie really doesn't have anything to do with Boom, beyond making a comic based on it. IDW getting the license really doesn't have anything to do with a cartoon either.
Like >>94629750 said, Boom was planned as a cartoon and game series. The cartoon seemed in trouble after Rise of Lyric was so monumentally shit, but the handheld games were decent and the show really came into its own. Sega acknowledges Boom way more than they ever did SatAM or Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, what with putting Sticks on Sonic Channel and in the Olympic Games 2016.
A new cartoon will likely only happen once Boom is over, which as >>94630104 mentioned might be soon. Mania and Forces doing well would encourage that further I think. I sort of hope that, like the Sly movie, the Sonic movie becomes a TV series, but watch it stay a movie and Sony fuck it up (as usual).
>>
I think it's within the realm of possibility. I think it all depends on how well the games are received as well as how well as the other video game based cartoons are received. If Sly Cooper and Megaman become a success, then Sega might feel confident enough to make another cartoon. It wouldn't be the first time they had two cartoons going on at the same time. But, I think seeing as how Boom would be older, than it could come out in just about time Boom has run it's course.
>>
>>94628927
So you want Sonic Boom but with a classic aesthetic and 2D animation?

Hearing Roger's voice coming out of classic Sonic would weird.
>>
>>94630239
>classic Sonic would weird
>>
>>94630256
You know what I meant
>>
>>94628927
>tfw sonic mania's coming out in two days and it's only 20 bucks

I'm so fucking hype for an actual Sonic game it hurts guys. It's been many a fucking year since I played Sonic 3 & Knuckles for the first time.
>>
>>94630351
Sly Cooper has a chance but Megaman being a success is the last thing on Capcom's list.
>>
>>94630176
hapless episodic adventures focusing ona small group of character at a time
mite b kool
>>
>>94630443
Mighty No. 9 broke me where Megaman was concerned.
>>
>>94628927
A classic influenced show is the only thing that would help me get over Boom not getting a third season.
>>
>>94630213
>Sega acknowledges Boom way more than they ever did SatAM or Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
to be fair its the most SoJ has been involved with the show, they had an internal character designer make Sticks which is why shes on Sonic Channel
though her popularity in Japan IS an unexpected variable
>>
>>94630088
>Adventure represented a lack of faith in the franchise
no it represented an era where every 2d platformer was turning to 3d and updating aesthetics
ya'll get so butthurt at any game that isnt S3&K or directly homageing it
>>
>>94630603
>homageing
>>
>>94628927
>varyingdegreesofgottagofast.png
>>
>>94630603
No, I don't. I'm relatively young enough that my first Sonic game was Adventure and the design changes showed they didn't have faith in Sonic's original design. They didn't have faith in simpler story presentation, and they didn't have faith in the core gameplay to the point where we were saddled with five different options. They had no confidence, competence, or clear vision. Get the fuck outta here.

People online these days seem to think that the backlash against the Adventure era is recent thing brought on by e-celebs, but it's not. These game were being shit on as early as 2005-2007. Adventure is a horrible cringefest and Adventure 2 barely salvages it.
>>
>>94630711
>People online these days seem to think that the backlash against the Adventure era is recent thing brought on by e-celebs, but it's not.

This is a weird fucking problem I've been seeing with a lot of shit. Prequel apologists sincerely think RLM invented hating the Star Wars prequels, too.
>>
>>94630748
I was fifteen when the first of the prequels came out and I remember thinking that Phantom Menace was hot garbage. Killer soundtrack, though.

I don't much care for J.J.Abrams' Wild Ride, either.
>>
>>94630237
>Megaman
i keep forgetting that that's a thing and i have no faith in its staying ability. like maybe ill be surprised and it'll be great but i really don't think so
>>
>>94630790
Same story here, except I was twelve. I thought it was hilarious that so many adults camped outside to see a movie that was aimed at little kids. I was really hyped for Phantom Menace, too.
>>
>>94630790
>that spoiler
oh so your just a big ol hipster
>>
>>94630890
It still needs a network to pick it up so who even knows if it's happening.
>>
>>94630532
Yuji Uekawa also designed most of the original characters in Sonic X, but the difference there is TMS Entertainment retained the rights to the characters original to that show.
>>
>>94631019
It's scheduled to be on Cartoon Network next year. Expect it to get an early morning Saturday death slot for a couple of episodes before it's shuffled over to Boomerang.
>>
>>94631003
Not him, but I expected more than just a carbon copy of New Hope, minus the camp.
>>
File: Death_Egg_(S3nK).png (7KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Death_Egg_(S3nK).png
7KB, 320x224px
Unless you guys are talking about the Death Egg, can you guys can it with the Star Wars talk?
>>
>>94631003
Hipsters love new Star Wars because it has GIRL LEAD and BLACK MAIN CHARACTER.

I like Episode VII myself. Star Wars is the kind of flawed movie that benefits from a remake. It's a bad movie that was saved in editing and post-production. Because of that, I don't mind that VII is a remake.
>>
>>94631089
Christ I hope Mania isn't fucked. Every sign is pointing it out to be more of this pic, and this is all I want.
>>
>>94630711
or its was like i said an era where every 2d platformer was turning to 3d and updating aesthetics
like Mario did it too ya know. 64 redesigned nearly every character to be more cute and softer than they were from the SNES games. the game itself was a massive departure from what was established. this dint mean Nintendo had "no faith in the classic formula" but were branching out and trying new shit and reinvigorating the brand.
like im sorry the adventure games seem to have personally offended you but they aren't the strike against the inherent goodness of sonic you seem to thing it was
>>
How bad do you think the Sonic the Hedgehog Live-Action/Animated Movie by Sony will be?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgeY9B1_S38
>>
File: rip.jpg (245KB, 900x1388px) Image search: [Google]
rip.jpg
245KB, 900x1388px
>>94631153
I hope it's good, I hope it's successful, and I hope it means more and better work for Tyson Hesse.
I still haven't watched the intro leak because I want to experience it along with the rest of the game, not through leaks
>>
>>94631257
>by Sony
Doesn't matter what it is. It'll be a pile of dogshit.
>>
>>94631234
>like Mario did it too ya know
Do you mean make a game that transitions the character to 3D by fully committing to a new formula rather than splitting up gameplay types, not overstepping its boundaries in tone and setting, not drastically changing the designs, and keeping actual momentum based platforming intact? Because Sonic Adventure did none of that.
>>
>>94631312
I got impatient and watched two acts on their first stages. Not to hype it too much,
but it looked like they hit that sweetspot of speed and stopping points that Sonic CD didn't get.
>>
File: 1501256753857.png (159KB, 565x1387px) Image search: [Google]
1501256753857.png
159KB, 565x1387px
>>94631323
I wonder if Sony will try to give it the live action Smurfs plot the same way tried with that unspeakable franchise.
>>
>>94631366
Knowing their sleazy asses, most likely. There's a reason they pull that shit in their kids' movies, and it's the same reason why they'll PG-13 weird western epics and use widely known fads like emojis as templates for motion pictures: they make movies specifically to sell shit. I can easily imagine Sonic, Tails, and down-on-his-luck high school track star Dylan Minnette grabbing some delicious, affordable Papa John's.
>>
File: tumblr_ornzqicYPb1w1kerio1_540.gif (2MB, 540x366px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ornzqicYPb1w1kerio1_540.gif
2MB, 540x366px
>>94631325
>fully committing to a new formula rather than splitting up gameplay types
This is an obvious problem with the Adventure games. They should have been designed like the 3&K, with every character going through the same stages with alterations to account for their gameplay differences. It's harder to account for flight and gliding + climbing in 3D, so Sonic Team took the easy way out. They had already put a lot of work into the game (they'd been working on it since they started on Sonic Jam), so I'm sure there was some degree of compromise there.
>not overstepping its boundaries in tone
That's more of a thing in 2, Adventure 1 really isn't too different in tone, it just has more plot. When you consider it in the context of Sonic as a multi-media series it fits in even better Given SatAM and what was going on over at Archie. For better or worse it changed to face of Sonic, and a lot of the fans (including new fans of the series) liked the change.
>and setting
This was less of a change up in Japan, where Mobius never existed, but the presence of Humans that aren't Robotnik was odd. Mario's doing some similar recently with their return to exploration 3D games, and both games came out of it better than they could have for using cartoony humans (Mario Odyssey's slightly less cartoony than Mario but still cartoony humans, Adventure's anime humans). Adventure 2, Shadow, and 2006 are were that gets weirder.
>not drastically changing the designs
The only Drastic changes were Amy and Eggman. I'll agree with you that Amy was a mistake, when I first saw her (I hadn't played CD by that point) I thought she was another Echidna. While there was a conscious decision to age up Sonic and make the characters a bit taller, I think it's worth pointing out that in the original version of Adventure the characters are shorter and chubbier looking.
>keeping actual momentum based platforming intact
Yep, Nintendo did a better job there too.
>>
>>94628927
>Now that Archie is kill, what are the odds of getting a new Sonic animated series?

These things have nothing whatsoever to do with each other.
>>
>>94631956
>>94631325
ya know the plot backround of Adventure one is actually built from what was in the S3&K manual, which said that the lost race that inhabited the floating island destroyed by a god when they tried to take the Mater Emerald by force
>>
File: Sonic1.jpg (117KB, 479x750px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic1.jpg
117KB, 479x750px
>>94632071
Wrong. Archie is a huge part of what made Sonic a /co/ character.
>>
File: 1502442859497.png (200KB, 574x1176px) Image search: [Google]
1502442859497.png
200KB, 574x1176px
Honestly, Sally is the only character I'm going to miss not seeing anymore.
>>
>>94629662

>reddit spacing

Holy shit, do you realize how little attention reddit pays to 4chan compared to how much 4chan talks about reddit?
>>
>>94632541
why
>>
>>94630173

I own it on DVD it's actually VERY cool movie.
>>
>>94632653
I assume because he wants to have sex with her.
>>
>>94632541
>wearing a jacket, boots, and nothing else
She's the sole reason for my partially clothed fetish.
>>
>>94632541

What is the purpose of the jacket and boots
>>
Imagine a Sonic the hedgehog movie, a good one? One based on Sonic 3 and Knuckles? Seeing the Death egg take off from launch base zone.
>>
>>94632932
It's sexy
>>
>>94630532
We got Sonic's love of chili dogs from the cartoons transferred over to the games, so there's a win.
>>
>>94633247

If you can call that a win. AOSTH Sonics eternal obsession with Chilidogs was one of the many weird as fuck things about that show.
>>
>>94629736
Everything CD Sonic was could be conveyed with OVA's attitude and then some. So speech isn't the problem.

OVA is best. 00s a shit.
>>
>>94633290
I just figured it was a joke.

The Sonic fast food restaurant specializes in chili dogs. AOSTH probably wanted to give Sonic a thing to eat and wisecrack with since they seemed to want to do a Bugs Bunny Looney Tunes thing with the show. They went with that cause "Sonic" and it carried over to the other DiC cartoons. I dunno.
>>
File: sonic1 (1).jpg (120KB, 1024x538px) Image search: [Google]
sonic1 (1).jpg
120KB, 1024x538px
>>94633743
Nail on the head. Nothing quite like a Coney.
>>
>>94633290
I think the Chilidog thing was something SEGA of America came up with, like the name "Robotnik"
>>
>>94630711
By this logic Sega had no faith in Sonic by the saturn due to updating his design to have buckles and a more sleek look. Adventure gave us green eyes and a new running pose.

Sonic's gameplay had to be updated for a 3D landscape. It is what was expected back then as major titles were making the jump to the new technology. And with it BIGGER, BETTER, FASTER, adventure as well.

Claming they had no clear vision is one way to look at it, but with how much effort they put into studying the different landscapes the levels were based off to me shows that they wanted to offer a grander scope. If you look up the old interviews from Sonic Team it shows a lot of thought went into how the levels and story unfolded.

The various game styles could have been improved. I think a large part of the problem was that they simply could not find a suitable way to translate 2D sonic to 3D. Hence why we even got the homing attack in the first place. Also ST didn't know why stuffing everything you can think of isn't always a good idea.
>>
>>94633832
Sure, but it was also a clear reference to the drive in. Note that Sonic restaurants have been around since the mid 50s.
>>
File: I Heart U.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
I Heart U.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>94630176
YOOOOOOO!!

Dude this game was my fucking shit growing up

Playing now the game is fucking trash,
i only like it for the nostalgia factor
>>
>>94633832
well they're both canon now so cool on that
>>
>>94633843
Feels a lot like Sonic Team bit off more than it could chew when it realized that it was starting to fall behind its competitors, namely Nintendo.
>>
>>94633874
it ok a at worst in my opinion, the worst part of it is the repetition
>>
>>94633928
Honestly this. Levels are decently designed, but the repetiton gets old fast.
>>
>>94633832

It was. It was in Sonic SATAM as well, just not as prominent, and carried over to Archie.
>>
>>94633901
Looking at it from a business perspective, I think the truth is Sega overall has a very shit management policy and quality control structure. The kind of fuck ups we see in Sonic Team games is something that management and quality control policies should catch.

Compare that to Nintendo who love it or hate it, will sell you a functional, quality game. This isn't by accident but rather by corporate culture that is encouraged from the top and fostered at every level.

Reading the history of Sega from the 90s onward and Nintendo's success makes the two opposing philosophies very clear.
>>
>>94634227
I couldn't agree more. Sega is very bad at knowing what its fanbase wants (with exceptions like Yakuza, which caters to its fanbase to a fault at this point), and the fact is Nintendo isn't.
As a corporation Nintendo is about as evil as EA or Ubisoft, but its PR section is ridiculously good, with a near-supernatural understanding of its target market.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-06-03-03h02m08s849.png (383KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-06-03-03h02m08s849.png
383KB, 640x480px
>>94630173
I like it. I used to watch the VHS all the time back in the day.
>>
>>94632541
tbqh, I'll miss all of the Freedom Fighters except Rotor./spoiler]
>>
>>94628927
Probably not that great. I would like to see one though. Specifially one with designs by Tyson Hesse. Something along the lines of Mega Drive.
>>
>>94634323
its also Japanese corprate to the max so we just dont hear about the bad shit its got going.
that said we are getting more of its bad side with the absolutely SHIT distribution they've had with products intentionally creating artificial demand and how far behind they are when it comes to Virtual Console shit and player inter-connectivity
>>
>>94634560
You make a good point. Something's definitely been rotten in Nintendo lately. They're still shelling out good games, but it definitely hasn't been as airtight as it used to be.
>>
>>94633994
the worst part is aside from Chaotix, the other teams were just difficulty levels.
Sonic should have just been the regular levels,
Rose should have been about defeating badniks to fee animals linking into the whole save the pets story they have going and the fact that they level up the fastest. so their levels would have animal capsules and more badniks around with the level grades being how many you rescued
Dark would have the leves tweaked more to be harder less with just harder enemies and more with skill based bits like more pits and the lesser used mechanics like light speed dash and party split ups to give it a more challenging but unique feeling.
>>
>>94634637
their absolute refusal to play to the tune of the gaming industry at large is biting them in the ass. they are inexcusable behind when it come to things like friends lists and voice chat. friend codes should have died with the Wii, the switch should have built in voice chat but you have to have some ridiculous phone set up, this is their fourth go around with Virtual Console stuff but you will still have to $5 for Mario1 but also need to have a subscription on top on it.
and again the artificial demand with the Switch/MiniNES/MiniSNES exists only so they can say they sold all units because the WiiU underselling made them gun shy
>>
>>94634777
The WiiU underselling seems to be the real turning point. Here's hoping the company realizes what it's doing wrong before it's too late. My Nintendrone days are long over, but I don't wanna see the company die in such a stupid way either.
>>
>>94634910
hopefully in time for me to get and SNES mini
still mad that my walmart reservation was canceled...
>>
>>94634952
Nothing worse than an order that gets cancelled for you.
>>
>>94630173
Arrogant douchebag Sonic is the best Sonic. Glad they revived him in Boom.
>>
>>94634910

They're too rich to die.

Sega, meanwhile, needs money but won't fire their stupid, xenophobic company execs that are ruining things.
>>
File: tumblr_opxh90wvtO1w1kerio1_1280.jpg (2MB, 1280x1265px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_opxh90wvtO1w1kerio1_1280.jpg
2MB, 1280x1265px
>>94632791
And didn't they know it.
>>
>>94632071
lmao

People like you are my absolute FAVORITE. You come in talking shit when you don't know a fucking thing about it.
>>
>>94633743
He was eating chili dogs in the early comics. Why do you think this stemmed from the cartoons?
>>
>>94631325
One thing I think this post omits in its railing on Adventure (which in a lot of ways is fine by me) is that Sonic Adventure, at least as far as the Sonic stages are concerned, actually translated the basic gameplay of mentality of Sonic to 3D (go fast, get to the end of the stage), while Mario didn't get games like that in 3D until Super Mario Galaxy. Don't get me wrong, I love Super Mario 64, and I really like Sunshine as well. 64 was a nearly flawless transition into 3D, and for the biggest name in gaming and many people's first 3D game that's impressive. But, aside from the Bowser stages in 64 and the Secret Courses in Sunshine, the games were completely different from what Super Mario Bros. had been. Sonic's gameplay kept the same basic idea, and even Tails, Amy, and E102 followed that with gimmicks added on.
>>
>>94632648
Besides from r/4chan and the occasional usage of 4chan as an example, we really don't discuss you guys at all.
>>
File: 1502481126798.jpg (89KB, 651x372px) Image search: [Google]
1502481126798.jpg
89KB, 651x372px
So what do you guys think the new comics will be like?

Also, is the Movie by Sony dead now because the Emoji movie bombed?
>>
>>94636296
i think they'll either just pick up where archie left off because Sega owns all that shit and i assume that was a large part of the down time between the actual shut down and the announcement that Archie was not making Sonic. or do the IDW thing and start small, like with an adaption of Sonic1/adventure and build from there using every aspect of the brand they are allowed to draw from.

and to the other question god i hope so. Sony Pictures is a cartoonish exaple of a cynical soulless movie company
>>
>>94631153
i kinda just accepted that sonic is one of those franchises whose best years are behind it and we'll probably never get anything good beyond the occasional freak accident.

i also accepted that sonic fans are incapable of being happy.
>>
>>94636778
>i also accepted that sonic fans are incapable of being happy.
Don't know where you get this idea. There are arguments between people who like this or that gameplay style (mostly Genesis vs Adventure vs Boost), those who do and don't like the comics & cartoons, waifufags, etc., but a lot of people are enjoying the franchise and fandom. Things were looking bad for some when Forces didn't look very interesting and the comics were canceled, but now the comics are just moving publishers and Forces seems more interesting (what with the E3 villains reveal and how the main one is either intentionally or unintentionally edgy he is).
>>
>>94636460
>>94636296
I'd rather have a sonic comic based on the games over a continuation of SATAM/archie sonic.

there are more than enough supporting characters without the archie characters cluttering up everything even more. and a non videogame medium could develop the plot & characters of the games better than the games did.
>>
>>94630176
WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN
>>
>>94636778
>we'll probably never get anything good beyond the occasional freak accident
From Sonic Team? Absolutely right.
That this is an outsourced project is my biggest hope.
>>
>>94637050
I'm fine with SatAM/Archie characters coming back, but I would prefer if the core team was Sega characters plus maybe one new character. Old characters can be brought back in really neat ways, like Breezie, but I don't think we need all of the Freedom Fighters all the time. Plus I would rather see characters like Honey, the Battle Bird Armada, etc. show up. I haven't read since before the Super Genesis Wave, but I did like the look of the new Egg Bosses, and I liked the idea of Eclipse the Darkling. Characters the are from the games or extensions of concepts from the games should be prioritized over old cartoon and comic OC's that came out of nowhere.
>>
>>94637041
>>94637270
it honestly feels like that no matter what sega does with the games nobody is ever happy with them.

i can imagine the sonic cycle rearing its ugly head over mania & forces in some way whether it's for legit reasons like 06 & boom or stupid fan nostalgia/e-celeb ignorance like the adventure games.
>>
>>94637366
At this point I couldn't give less of a shit about the fanbase. I fully expect equal squirts of shit on each game. Hell there are contrarians on /vr/ who'll say Sonic 3 & Knuckles was weak. It's insane.
>>
>>94630494
It's not getting a third? I mean it was to be expected I guess but is there a source for that?
>>
>>94637585
I think he was implying that Sonic Boom would get cancelled if a new series was made.
>>
>>94637439
talk about castlevania 4 or the resident evil series it's a hoot.
>>
File: 1501718227710.jpg (33KB, 412x350px) Image search: [Google]
1501718227710.jpg
33KB, 412x350px
I know I'm not the only one avoiding /v/ right now. 1 day away lads!

I hope Sticks survives Boom and ends up in the new comic and any new TV show that might happen.
>>
>>94636778
>>94637041
you guys didnt like Generations or Colors? or the Rush Games before that? or the Andvance games before that? or Battle? ect ect
>>
>>94637662
If that's the case I hope they can squeeze in at least one more season. I watched the Robots in the Sky four part special the other night and it was actually pretty good, even in terms of action since the show is generally lacking when it comes to that.
>>
File: 1477594528584.png (478KB, 1280x934px) Image search: [Google]
1477594528584.png
478KB, 1280x934px
>>94637744

I'm on media lockdown as well anon, but how long I can last is questionable since I pre-ordered the PC version which has now been delayed 2 weeks.

Opening animation be damned, I really want to see if we get Team Hooligan and Mecha [and/or Metal] Sonic as mini-bosses
>>
>>94633165
Unironically this.
>>
>>94637744
ive been avoiding /v/ since 2010
>>
>>94638447

Fair enough, I was only on /v/ for the Mania threads. It's been a weird bizarro /v/ those threads, full of positivity and hype and people who like video games.
>>
>>94637834
I'm >>94637041, and I enjoyed a lot of those games.
-Advance 1 & 3 (flawed games, but some neat stuff to them)
-Rush (still flawed due to Dimps design, but better. Also great soundtrack.)
-Colors (the best Boost game so far. Loved Eggman's PA announcements https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvS7ewAkwEA)
-Generations (classic gameplay wasn't an accurate take on the Genesis mechanics, but the Modern gameplay was fun)
-Battle (looking back it's actually not good, but at the time I enjoyed it. Still wish Sega would attempt a Sonic and Sega All Stars Smash Bros. or Power Stone clone.)
>>
>>94637834
while i liked generations & the advance games and I'd like to play 4, the DS game & colors. i feel sonic hasn't been consistently good since sega made consoles.

but ultimately what killed my interest in sonic until generations was sonic 06 and the oversaturation of side characters.
>>
>>94638609
>classic gameplay wasn't an accurate take on the Genesis mechanics
unpopular opinion but that didnt make the classics sections tash
>>
>>94638696
if you play 4 make sure its the complete version with episode1 and 2. episode 2 tuned up the physics to about advance level. episode 1 physics were... not good
also you get to play as metal sonic and thats always fun
>>
>>94638696
>oversaturation of side characters.
ive never gotten that, ive always enjoyed the colorful cast of characters in the Sonic Games
>>
>>94639053
I like the large casts, I think the only problem with them was that Sega didn't manage to make them work too well. First Adventure had too many gameplay styles, Adventure 2 was better, Heroes was closer to Genesis style overall but actually playing as Power and Flight types sucked so hard, and 2006 was a game that was scrapped at least once during production and was released a good 6 months to one year too early thanks to SEGA demands.
I think people overreacted to size of the cast, and I don't like that Sonic Team listened and gave us multiple games in a row where only Sonic, Tails, Eggman, and a new character (Chip, Wisps, Classic Sonic, didn't play Lost World) matter. Shadow the Hedgehog was bad, but I actually liked seeing all of the characters in a game where they didn't each have their own gameplay style that took time out of the core gameplay's development.
>>
>>94633843
>I think a large part of the problem was that they simply could not find a suitable way to translate 2D sonic to 3D. Hence why we even got the homing attack in the first place.

For what it's worth, I always thought the homing attack was an absolutely brilliant idea. Even people that love 3D Mario games will admit that trying to jump on top of enemies in three dimensions is a finicky practice, and would be nigh-impossible without most games taking the easy way out and giving the player character a 12-o-clock shadow every time his feet leave the ground. Giving players a way to easily dispatch enemies while mostly retaining player control was an inspired compromise.
>>
>>94639195
>thanks to SEGA demands.
It was actually Micro$hit that forced them to rush it.
>>
>>94638737
>that didnt make the classics sections tash

True, but...

Okay, look at it this way. The Classic Sonic segments in Generations, let's say they're a B effort. Good, MAYBE great, but certainly not perfect. And our only real basis for comparison in terms of contemporary Sonic games is Sonic 4, so we're happy with that. But then Mania comes out and it's a fucking A+. And now Forces is coming out with that same B level of gameplay. Can you see why people's opinion of Classic Sonic gameplay might have changed?
>>
>>94639222
This is a reason that the spin move in Galaxy (which was totally cribbed from Crash Bandicoot) was a good inclusion. Tying it to motion controls was shit, but it was a useful move.
>>
>>94639403
>a useful move

*an useful move
>>
>>94639053
>>94639195
i always felt they overshadowed sonic and turned him into a guest star in his own games.

it also doesn't help that most of them play very similar to each other and/or aren't that interesting as characters to begin with.
>>
>>>/trash/11016896
>>
>>94637744

Sticks can never die. She's immortal
>>
>>94639246
>>94639195
i ermember playing through 2006 and SEEING the fun complete Adventure style game that they tried to make
granted that wouldn't have fixed the uncanny valley humans aside Sonic and co or the poorly written time travel, but it would have played insanely better
>>
>>94639344
i guess NOW but at the time people acted like the Classic sections of Gens were a shit smear on a good game
>>
>>94635710
>we
fuck off and go back to your shithole then
>>
File: latest.jpg (127KB, 498x756px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
127KB, 498x756px
Make a case for IDW to either keep or ditch the SatAM-original characters.
>>
>>94643540
>Keep
helps create a diverse cast of characters from the start while being able to tell new stories or take them in new and interesting directions, Bulks out the core characters and gives the fans something to look forward to when they do show up.

Ditch
>Nostalgia fags bitching they aren't"MUH" versions of the characters.
> Penders
>>
>>94643540
no, i remember them vaguely and fondly from my childhood watching the tv show.
if someone can do it well cool, but like name a good place for Rotor? or Dulcy? or Antoine?
i mean the only reason i don't include Bunnie or Sally is cause they occupy a place that isnt already filled and the need for more female characters
>>
>>94643540
I say toss 'em. They've long been replaced by game characters that rendered them obsolete. Plus the additional baggage involved.
>>
>>94643661
>new stories
If I wanted to hear about cyborg problems, I'd rather have a story about Shadow and his twins. If I wanted to hear about computer conscience, there's Emerl and Gamma and Omega. What's left, Sally "being a commander"? Last time she commanded or coordinated anyone was somewhere before issue 70.
That's the extent of "new" they can offer.
>>
>>94643661
>>94643540
>helps create a diverse cast of characters
as i said earlier here >>94637050 even without the SATAM/archie characters sonic has more than enough supporting characters.

hell, like >>94643709 said most of them are redundant with the game characters filling out those roles + all the baggage from archie & penders
>>
>>94643661
>aren't"MUH"
Thread posts: 140
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.