[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong? No seriously, what the fuck happened? How do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 11

File: Batmankillingjokemovie.jpg (48KB, 251x396px) Image search: [Google]
Batmankillingjokemovie.jpg
48KB, 251x396px
What went wrong? No seriously, what the fuck happened? How do you fuck up an adaptation of The Killing Joke?
>>
>>94588521
By having shitty animation, adding an unneeded prequel, and inserting awful ships into your cartoon
>>
>>94588521
SJWs. I wish I could give you a better answer, I really do. SJWism has led to untalented hacks making every creative decision in all media these days and it's a fucking travesty destroying an entire generation of children.
>>
>>94588553
The movie is rated R, you chuckehead
>>
>>94588596
How does an R rating prevent meddling from SJWs?
>>
File: 1272571450068.jpg (100KB, 600x429px)
1272571450068.jpg
100KB, 600x429px
>>94588521
The animation refused to change. Like, the art is a big part of what makes the story memorable. The colors are beautiful in the old and new versions. It's jarring to see them try for a frame-by-frame representation of the story but keep reminding you of Justice League: War or whatever.

I'm even sympathetic to the idea they needed to fill up more time, but what a godawful direction to go. You know what would have been cool? More flashbacks and contexts to Joker's past. You could have had some real fun with that. What made him want to be a comedian? Just how bad were his sets? Maybe they could have done a nice coda of Batgirl moving on with her life at the end.

But instead you got a group of producers that say they understand the "women in refrigerators" trope and answered it with... "What if Batman fucked her?" That shit is beyond sad.
>>
>>94588553
How the fuck is this an SJW movie? How does this movie do them any favors? It's tone deaf at best and pandering at worst. That gay guy in the first half was like something out of an 80s comedy movie.
>>
>>94588553
Wow I can't believe SJWs gave Bruce Timm his big break. I guess I'm really redpilled now.
>>
File: babsbruce.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
babsbruce.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>94588553
>Batman fucking his young apprentice who's practically his daughter is SJW
>>
>>94588553
I'd give this movie a lot of criticisms but it being SJW is definitely not one of them
>>
>>94588815
>practically his daughter

nah
>>
>>94588521
Shitty prologue. Ugly art. Babs banging Bruce. Going drastically off model at random. Turning the Joker's creeping singing scene into a fucking showtune sequence. Janky animation. Changing the final scene.
>>
>>94588553
...What. This is proper retarded. Who else do you blame for things?
>>
>>94588766
I think I might be misunderstanding you. Like legitimately; I'm not being incredulous.

Because the way your is written, it reads like you're suggesting that the 2016 animated film Batman: The Killing Joke was Bruce Timm's big break.

And that cannot possibly be what you meant.
>>
>>94588546
Also by not hiring Andrea Romano to do voice direction. I honestly never thought Mark Hamill would deliver a bad turn as the Joker, but he managed to get the emotion of all his lines pretty much exactly wrong. As did everyone else.
>>
>>94589089
He's making fun of the other anon because Bruce Timms autism existed before SJW cancer shit.
>>
>>94588521
They should've just made it part of a Batman anthology film, where The Killing Joke would've been one part, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader would be another, and some short Morrison comic they found could be the final part. But instead, they decide to pad TKJ out with some shitty Azzarello story about Paris.
>>
>>94589089
>>94589273
Kind of wish Bruce Timm's artstyle would just fucking die, I thought we'd be done with it as soon as JLU ended. Now we have Batman and Quinn
>>
>>94589273
Ah, it seems obvious now. Thanks

>>94589403
I don't mind the art style so much. What bothers me is that the animation on his last couple of projects has garbage, and Batman and Harley Quinn looks like it will be garbage as well.
>>
>>94588521
It wouldn't be nearly as bad if they didn't have the completely unrelated Batgirl filler bullshit in front of the actual story. That's like doing a film adaptation of Romeo and Juliet and making up your own story about Juliet's adventures to show for the first half hour before you get into the stuff Shakespeare actually wrote. If you're doing a straight adaptation and not intentionally trying to produce something radically different from the source material then the least you can do is keep to the plot and don't add entirely new plots to it.
>>
>>94588521
they added a bunch of shit to make it feature length

the end
>>
Bruce Timm inserting his OTP for the first half.

Oh, and some of the lines had terrible delivery.
>>
The first half was really not needed. I don't care about the stupid relationship it just felt odd and out of place like there was little connection. I get they needed some padding but there were better ways to do it, maybe have Jason Todd being killed as the first half to really tie in that Joker needs to go.

Anything would have been better than rich guy crushes on a spoiled Batgirl who fucks Batman on the roof.
>>
>>94588553
Watch for SJW under your bed anon.
>>
>>94588685
>I'm even sympathetic to the idea they needed to fill up more time, but what a godawful direction to go. You know what would have been cool? More flashbacks and contexts to Joker's past. You could have had some real fun with that. What made him want to be a comedian? Just how bad were his sets? Maybe they could have done a nice coda of Batgirl moving on with her life at the end.

Really they should've done a compilation movie of the best Joker stories. A lot of them could be done as 5-10 minute shorts, with TKJ being the finale. Do Batman #1(maybe with influence from The Man who Laughs), Joker's Five way Revenge, Joker Fish, Joker's Birthday, Slayride;i.e. the one where he kidnaps Robin and takes him for a ride, etc.
>>
>>94588553
Unironically this, but its the world we live in
>>
>>94588521

Bruce Timm is an overrated hack?
>>
>>94588553
DUDE SJWS KILLED MY FAMILY LMAO
>>
>>94588807
Now that's something you don't see everyday
>>
>>94588944
>Changing the final scene
You mean the epilogue?
>>
>>94588521
Song and dance numbers have no place in a batman story.
>>
>>94588944
What.
They fucked nailed the song dude. It's one of the few good things aoutthe movie.

They should have taken advantage of the rating to have the version of the photos with the nipples though. Maybe extended that shot a little as well.
>>
I actually would have liked to see the prologue expanded and refined into a full length film.

No fucking batman though. That was dumb.
>>
I can't get over just how awful the poor man's Joker was. Yeah, I get what his purpose in the movie was. Doesn't change the fact that he sucks.
>>
>>94591895
Azzarello wrote it though. Timm just produced.
>>
File: 4chanBoogeyman.png (34KB, 798x894px) Image search: [Google]
4chanBoogeyman.png
34KB, 798x894px
>>94590899
>>
>>94588521
>First half is pointless padding that takes forever to even introduce the joker
>Batman has sex with Batgirl, his student and a woman young enough to be his daughter

Like the original had Batgirl in the fridge but seriously how did they make it worse???
>>
Why does Bruce banging Babs bug people so much? Older rich men bang younger women all the time.
>>
>>94594926
Their work relationship makes it awkward
>>
>>94594947
Do you have a job? Do you know how often interoffice relationships occur? it's nothing new
>>
>>94594972
Find a better workplace.
>>
>>94594926
It's because he's so close with Jim.

You don't fuck a friend's daughter, that's what makes it weird.
>>
>>94588521
Many people prefer to say that the only "bad" part is the first 30 minutes, but that's a cop-out. The bad stuff doesn't end there. The movie isn't simply bad because of some Batgirl fanfiction bullshit, it's bad because of lack of understanding of what made the original great.

They ruined the laughter scene by having Joker's laughter be incredibly quiet and controlled when it in fact the opposite of how it should be. Like, it's right there, giant HAHAHAs filling the background, how the fuck could you interpret it the way they did? Even Hammill himself could do better laughs in other parts of the movie.

They ruined the "Why aren't you laughing" scene in the mirror hallway by making Joker simply angry when in fact it is one of the greatest character-building moments for him, as he's at his most vulnerable here, genuinely wondering about his adversary's motifs.

In the comic, when Batman jumps into the mirror hallway, Joker is scared because, once again, he was at his most vulnerable. They cut that out too, because nu Joker should be a nihilistic invincible edgelord who's incapable of ever being outside of his comfort zone (otherwise kids won't be able to like him).
>>
>>94595045
Oh, yeah, and the animation was pretty fucking bad too.
>>
>>94588944
>Babs banging Bruce.

This.
Bat is for Cat. Two bats fucking is just weird.
>>
>>94588944
>urning the Joker's creeping singing scene into a fucking showtune sequence.
I thought Moore himself said that he imagined it as a circus tune or something.
>>
>>94593825
edgy
>>
>>94595041
Jim and Bruce are more colleagues than best friends and Barbra is an adult
>>
>>94595079
You asked why it bothers other people.

The way you look at them isn't going to change the answer you got.
>>
So on the flipside, Anons, which DC Animated Movie do you find to be your favourite?

Inb4 all dc animated movies are shit.
>>
im really curious to see what happened behind the scenes
this is old concept art from the movie when it was anounced, it clearly fits Tims style better and lends itself well to animation, better than the faux Bolland style they went with
was it corporate interferance?
>>
>>94588553
>>94588649
DnC, pls.
>>
>>94595092
Crisis on Two Earths
Under the Red Hood
I love New Frontier but I know some people here are disappointed by the stuff they cut and that it feels less dynamic than the book.
>>
>>94594972
Their work relationship is a secret from her dad, who places more trust than he should in Bats being straight with him. He is also her superior, which gives him a degree of power over her. Further, the whole reason she's into this is because she's a fangirl looking for thrills, while Bruce is "supposedly" a responsible adult more concerned with the mission than anything else. For them to start fucking just pushes all these questionable character behaviors overboard and makes them both look like bad people. Which they probably are, but fans don't like it being made so obvious.
>>
>>94595015
No workspace is immune from interoffice relationships unless the staff are primarily one gender
>>
>>94594972
Dick and Babs work together and it's not nearly as creepy because they're peers. Bruce and Babs is because both the power balance and the personalities are incompatible. Fucking your boss never looks good in any work place.
>>
>>94594926
Also of note, Bruce x Babs has never been a thing anywhere else except Timm's stuff. It's not a pairing that exists in the source material.

Thus it carries the appearance of a "crack ship", a trope of bad fanfiction.
>>
>>94588521
>The first half that was supposed to "give some character to Batgirl and make us care about her injury" makes her an unlikable cunt obsessed with terrible relationships, instead of presenting, you know, an actual superheroine.
>Unneeded BruceBabs ship.
>Forgetting the irony of the fact that Joker attacked Babs for being Jim Gordon's daughter, not for being Batgirl.
>Batman killing Joker's goons yet trying to appeal to Joker himself.
>Badly made Joker's tunnel / song scene.
>Ruined Joker's transformation scene.
>Ruined "Why aren't you laughing?" scene
>Ruined the final scene.
>>
>>94595045
>lack of understanding of what made the original great.

feel like this is true for all of Moore's works
>>
>>94595150
Still happens more often than you think
>>
>>94595168
"source" material is a joke when it comes to comics because it changes with the writers since comics don't follow the japanese manga format with one creator from beginning to end
>>
>>94595267
Again, these are your personal opinions and justifications.

Source material is important to other people.

"Bruce fucking Jim's daughter is creepy" is important to other people.

"The age gap is too big, Babs is closer to Dick's age and Dick is like a son to Bruce and there was romance there too, fucking your son's girl is super fucked up" is important to other people

If you can't understand where those people are coming from, that's on you. You asked why, these are reasons why. Understand them or don't.
>>
>>94595252
Yeah and people still frown upon it
>>
>>94595190
More like all of comic adaptations that aren't based on Mark Millar's works.
>>
>>94588521

>shitty animation
>no nudity
>awful chara
>>
Fan made looks better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_r-qsxGiKY
>>
>>94593825
Did you read the original comic? It was right there.
>>
>>94594926

Because it's always a terrible, joyless train wreck when tried. Everyone is written wildly out of character and the relationship always winds up like a trashy no effort soap opera with no one happy but Timm's boner.
>>
>>94596322
In all honesty, it's because you grew up with Dick/Babs

It's the same with Beast Boy/Raven which didn't exist until the Teen Titans cartoon or Wolverine/Jean, writers who grew up watching these cartoons change the narrative to fit their preferences from when they were kids.
>>
File: Joker match.png (275KB, 485x302px)
Joker match.png
275KB, 485x302px
>>94595045
Pretty much this. I'd also like to point out the final scene where the Joker made Batman laugh lacked the same impact that the comic had due to its lazy cinematography. I loved how the POV shifted down to match with the first raindrop panel on the first page.

And speaking of cinematography, one of the things that made the original comic great was the use of matching scene transitions to alternate between the Joker's past and the shit that was going on. Take this match cut for example. It was fucking cool. And this is just one example of many.

The animated version has just ONE match cut featuring Joker's dead wife and the poster of the fat lady at the circus. They do that one, and that is it.
>>
>>94596455
So joker is old as fuck? Pretty sure that background in the right panel resembles the 1940s
>>
>>94596475
His age is disputed. Hard to say.
>>
File: images (13).jpg (15KB, 315x160px)
images (13).jpg
15KB, 315x160px
>>94596455
I'll post some more examples of the match cuts and the impact they had. The problem of the animated version not including the match cuts is because it's proof of how lazy and uninspired they were at adapting this.
>>
>>94596509
>>94596509
>>
>>94596494
He has to be, He's wearing a zoot suit, which were in fashion in the 30s and 40s, there's a sailor in the background, possible reference to WWII
>>
>>94596351

Actually I grew up on Batman '60's reruns, O'Neil's run and several anthologies and graphic novels. Mom bought everything Batman no matter the time period. I wasn't much of a Babs fan until she became Oracle and Cass was my favorite batgirl. Didn't really care for Babs and Dick that much either.

My dislike of Babs and Bruce comes from never seeing a positive version of it yet, The Batman Beyond comic being the worst of it with KJ being the second.
>>
Well the comic was garbage to begin with, then they added in the unneeded sex scene with Babs and the gurl powa message, so they made a shitty story even worse m. This is funny because back in the day D.C. animated movies improved the comics that they were based on.
>>
>>94597057
>This is funny because back in the day D.C. animated movies improved the comics that they were based on.
Fans of All Star Superman are going to strongly disagree.
>>
File: Chewker here.gif (655KB, 460x426px)
Chewker here.gif
655KB, 460x426px
At least Hamill realized how shit it was and decided to cancel his retirement; probably out of shame.
>>
>>94588852
his son's girlfriend, his best friend's daughter
>>
File: index.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
>>94588521
>What went wrong?
They got a writer with no love of capeshit to adapt capeshit.
>>
The prequel focuses too much on batgirl and Batman and not nearly enough on Barbara and her father. We're told they have a close relationship not shown it but are treated to shipping with Batman instead.

Exploring jokers past wouldn't have hurt but honestly the back story should've developed Gordon more and his relationship with his daughter to hammer why he didn't break but could've while joker did.
>>
>>94588521
Guy who made his career from creating mature stories within the confines of the TV censors gets unshackled, and does the exact opposite of what made him successful in the first place
>>
>>94588521
The book is not long enough for an adaptation. It would need to be a short story really.

....which is not a bad idea actually. They could have taken this, some other random Batman stories, and have a DVD with a few good short animations.

Instead we got this.
>>
>>94588685
>Classic story putting a twist to the longstanding rivalry between Batman and the Joker
>Don't throw in Joker backstory
>>
>>94588944
>Changing the final scene.
THANK YOU, that scene without the light going OFF its completely meaningless.
>>
>>94595092
I liked Wonder Woman, but I haven't watched it since it was released. Not sure how it holds up.
>>
>>94596764
The only time Bruce and Babs was tolerable was in the LEGO Batman movie, where Babs is a very different character. And even then it made fun of that ship
>>
>>94594310
I thought it was Azzarello but then appeared "Batman and Harley Quinn" and a new strange OTP. Bruce Timm is the guy we're looking for.
>>
>>94588521
Well, if they just did a straight adaptation. the movie would have been like 45 minutes long.

They had to add something so they decided to put a mini Batgirl movie in the beginning, because they were afraid of adding anything during the actual comic events.

That first half hour or so is awful because apparently they don't know how to write Batgirl. Her being a stupid bumbling fangirl who wants to have sex with Batman on a roof is dumb.

The movie does get better after that nonsense, to give it a bit of credit.
>>
>>94596531
Damn, I love this panel.
>>
>>94598036
THIS
>>
>>94596564
Moore is making a reference to an old comic from the 50s. TKJ, like many Moore comics, is metatextual as fuck so it shouldn't be taken as part of the official continuity or a determinate time period. Hell, the Bat-family made a cameo via a photo, including Bat-mite.
>>
>>94598174
But that's TWO panels, anon.
>>
>>94598053
Timm's a doomed wrong ship kind of guy, not into OTPs. So we get dysfunctional-but-heavily-sexual relationships like Bruce/Barbara, Dick/Harley.
>>
>>94598291
I don't know, in animation Bruce/Barbara was hinted in the New Adventures and then in Beyond confirmed but never used again until Timm had a chance.
>>
>>94598412
And in both it ended in disaster. He doesn't want any of these people retiring with happy marriages.
>>
>>94597914

This alone makes Bruce Timm's Batman an absolutely irredeemable dickhead.
>>
>>94597989

Yeah, that bothered the shut out of me.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.