[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/his/ here...can anyone tell me why are there no good comics/cartoons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1366314204832.gif (2MB, 220x190px) Image search: [Google]
1366314204832.gif
2MB, 220x190px
/his/ here...can anyone tell me why are there no good comics/cartoons set within a historical context? And I mean shit based off in things like Justinian and Theodora's reign during the sixth century, the fall of Rome, Persian Wars, American or French Revolution.
>>
Because plastic guillotines aren't great toys for little kids.
>>
>no fall of Rome series
>no Majorian restoring the empire
>no scheming Ricimer
>no civil war between Gallic and Italian senators
>no bishops defending their cities

Damn shame.
>>
>>94576964

For that you need to check Franco-Belgian comics per usual.

American comics will always be dominated by capeshit.
>>
Because you're only here to shitpost. You wouldn't read them anyway, and they would die from lack of sales.

Quick recs:
>if you want some non-fiction
The Cartoon History of the Universe
>if you want some historical fiction
Classics Illustrated
Classical Comics
>if you want something that's completely fictional but feels real
Age of Bronze
>if you're willing to move East
Boxers & Saints
>if you're actually /his/ and not secretly /pol/
Nat Turner
>a fucking leaf
Louis Riel
>>
>>94576964
>>94577226
You can also find historical comics amongst US independent comic creators.

Basically anywhere that isn't just the products of two companies from one country on one continent. "Comics" is bigger than that, and you should widen your search accordingly.
>>
>>94577226
Oh yeah, there's stuff like Asterix and Obelix
>>
>>94576964
What do you mean? There have been plenty of comics that take place in historical events, with Rebel by Brian Wood being the most recent.
>>
>>94577226
Some good Japanese manga in that regard as well:
Vinland Saga (vikings)
Cesare (renaissance Italy)
Otoyomegatari (19th century Central Asia)
Historie (Alexander the Great)

They get little attention on /a/ these days.
>>
>>94576964
>set within a historical context
There are quite a few, but considering most cartoons are made to entertain kids historical accuracy isn't their strong point. However Thomas the Tank Engine has (or used to have) actual experts on 1950s-'60s railways working with the show to keep everything accurate, Awdry was a stickler for it and also train autists of all ages enjoy it so a mistake could result in a landslide of letters.

The only cartoons that try to be historically accurate are usually educational ones. Which are normally pretty shit because why not just watch a good documentary? Liberty's Pups is pretty good at being both educational and entertaining and it's well animated, but that's about it.
>>
File: Peabody.jpg (71KB, 680x420px) Image search: [Google]
Peabody.jpg
71KB, 680x420px
>>94576964
>>
>>94576964
BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT LOOKING HARD ENOUGH

see:>>94577256
>>
File: les aigles de rome.jpg (105KB, 500x668px) Image search: [Google]
les aigles de rome.jpg
105KB, 500x668px
>>94576964
There's several, but they tend to be made in Europe or Japan, or possibly by small indie publishers.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.