[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Hulk suddenly change personalities? I recently started

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1502060970197.jpg (575KB, 1001x1509px) Image search: [Google]
1502060970197.jpg
575KB, 1001x1509px
Why did Hulk suddenly change personalities? I recently started reading the older comics and noticed that a few issues in or maybe immediately when he made the jump over to Tales to Astonish, Hulk started talking the way he normally does instead of like he did before where he spoke thuggishly but coherently. He also lost a bit of his murderous edge. I can't seem to find an exact reason why.
>>
>>94569725
Hulk started as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in comics form.

Stan Lee wanted him to also resemble Frankenstein's Monster and began pushing that aspect more in appearances after his original miniseries.

Lee also wanted the character to be sympathetic and be seen as a victim who meant well despite the harm he sometimes caused, so him becoming less violent might have been for that reason.
>>
>>94569808
Fair enough. It's just kinda out of left field when he goes from being a murderous monster that thinks he can't trust Rick and talking about finally getting back at everyone to just monosyllabic rage beast with a heart of gold.
>>
>>94569934
Remember that comics were seen as disposable entertainment back then. They felt abrupt retooling like that was fine since new readers wouldn't have much access to old comics anyway
>>
>>94569725
Didn't they bring this version back with the Joe Fixit Hulk in the 80's?
>>
>>94569934
It actually is explained much, MUCH later down the line.

The version of Hulk we first see is Gray Hulk who would later become "Joe Fixit". He's basically just your standard big dumb brute who just wants some peace and quiet.

Green Hulk is "Savage Hulk" who's the crazy, primal rage monster with simplistic intelligence.

The exact explanation is that when he first got his powers, the two personalities were fighting for control in his head, so for a short time he was going back and forth sporadically between them when he was the Hulk. Eventually the green took most control which is why you see it most of the time.
>>
>>94570006
That's actually a very helpful insight anon. That helps explain why Lee went through a shit ton of of gimmicks for Bruce's transformation, and Betty turning into a love interest despite Bruce being absolutely oblivious to her at first.
>>94570091
They did. It was fantastic.
>>
>>94569725

Like with a lot of comics back then, you didn't start with "well this is the premise and this is where I see this book going for the next twelve months." Most issues were just "well what do we do now?" and throwing shit a the wall and then waiting to see couple of months how well the issue did in the market. This meant that any shit that was perceived as popular got immediately redone and emphasized more and more while other things were unceremoniously dropped. Hence why Dr. Doom for example became Fantastic Four's iconic most often reoccurring nemesis by the virtue of being brought continuously back due to fan response, instead of say, Mole Man who was their very first villain.
>>
>>94570141
>He's basically just your standard big dumb brute who just wants some peace and quiet.
He's not the smartest guy but I would say that he's clever. You also left out that he's occasionally very cruel. I don't know how else to put it when he acts like such a dick in those cases.
>>
>>94570352
Joe worked as a Mob Enforcer in Las Vegas. He wasn't a "good guy" by any stretch. He just wasn't like Dr. Doom level evil an mostly just wanted women and money and to be left alone.
>>
https://youtu.be/enBflHodaWY
>>
>>94570352
>>94570402
I left out his cleverness and mean-streak because it wasn't shown in the original Hulk stories and I didn't want to confuse OP. But they're defining aspects of the character in PAD's run which everyone should read if they're interested in Hulk.
>>
>>94569725
Grey Hulk is Bruce's Id. Green Hulk is his inner child.

What exactly was Planet Hulk Hulk? He seemed sort of like Joe Fixit but with more power.
>>
>>94570482
I thought it was just Gravage Hulk that Bruce just kind let do whatever he wanted.
>>
I kind of took Joe Fixit to be just some random big guy, he not retarded like Hulk but he isn't the genius Banner either.

Average intelligence guy who can heft huge things around easily.
>>
>>94570482
That was after the personalities were merged, wasn't it?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.