[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you help me explain to a casual how Superman is a great character?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 20

File: supes-fly-over-pic1_1275684098.jpg (153KB, 460x337px) Image search: [Google]
supes-fly-over-pic1_1275684098.jpg
153KB, 460x337px
Can you help me explain to a casual how Superman is a great character?

I know some of you guys have critical thought/super-in-depth reasonings.

he's got the typical Batman is better cuz no powers argument
>>
>>94568794
Superman is super, it's in his fuckin' name!
>>
>>94568794
Tell your friend he's a dirty casual and have him watch the Fleischer shorts
>>
File: superman_suicide_1[1].jpg (242KB, 343x457px) Image search: [Google]
superman_suicide_1[1].jpg
242KB, 343x457px
>>94568794
He's so strong that he could crush every person in this world into a pea, he so fast he can travel between continents on his spare time, you can't hide from him because he can see through walls and hear your over the globe.

>He's the scariest being in the entire world
>But yet he's so fragile

He's powerful enough that he understands there's no excuse for failing to save a life, no excuse for having to make hard choices. Every life he fails to save kills him a bit on the inside.

He's so much of a god that some would say he'd be fit to rule this world, this would be the easy way to end crime. Yet he is so much of human that he never forget that freedom is the ultimate right for all living beings, small as they are, and to remove that he would become the very thing he fears the most, he would become what Lex Luthor thinks he is.
>>
>>94570414
He's much more than a hero, he's a beacon of hope, he's what heroes look up to become.

No problem is too small
No problem is too big

Be the person Superman knows you can be.
>>
>>94570414
So he is Super Jesus, uh?
>>
>>94570486
I do believe Jesus was an inspiration to Superman.
>>
>>94570414
>freedom is the ultimate right for all living beings

Heh, sounds familiar.
>>
>>94570573
He's american.
>>
>>94568794
This part of the video(6:36 to end) does a fantastic job of explaining Supes appeal.

https://youtu.be/dDMQ3tXNKgM?t=397
>>
>>94570573
sic semper tyrannis
>>
There's various interpretations of him as having some kind of religious or philosophical significance, and I'm sure those are fine, but what makes Superman Superman to me is just that he's a good Samaritan, and nothing more or less. He helps when people need help. It's simple and "old-fashioned", but if you don't want something that inspires you and makes you happy, just don't read Superman.

As for the "Batman's cooler because he has no powers/Superman's lame because he's too strong" arguments, I like to compare them to Odysseus and Hercules. Both Odysseus and Hercules are Greek mythological heroes who have to solve larger-than-life problems with their skills and cunning. The only difference is that Hercules has godlike powers, and so has to solve much larger problems, but if you read up on the Hercules myths, he never can accomplish his tasks with brute force and has to come up with a clever solution. The same is true of Superman's classic stories.

In modern times Superman stories also involve more of the kind of things you see in drama, with interpersonal problems, villains who are businessmen or politicians, moral quandaries, and so on. But at their core it's always about coming up with an entertaining solution to a problem.
>>
File: Grant-morrison-comiccon.gif (98KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
Grant-morrison-comiccon.gif
98KB, 500x331px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUzHgvqh8to
>>
>>94568794
It's self-explanatory.
>>
>>94568794

He has the cleanest, easiest to understand, simplest to explain, classiest, and undoubtedly best origin story in all of comic-dom.
>>
>>94571469
Here, have a jpeg from this century.
>>
>>94568794
Because he's the most human and relatable super hero of all time.
>muh powers
are completely irrelevant to him as a person.

Spider-Man is the hero that gets the "most relatable" tag from casuals but in reality he's a whiny dick that had to have his Uncle die by essentially his own hand to become a hero and then does nothing but complain about how hard it is.

Superman didn't need a tragedy to make him. Him being a normal, good, moral person that just (and has always wanted to) help people makes him.
>>
>>94571644

How has it gotten to the point where everyone is so cynical that a simple proper upbringing is no longer a justifiable motivation
>>
>>94568794

Without Superman there would be no 'super' heroes. With the death of the western and military comic books, and the limited interest in horror as a sequential graphic art, you would be left with realism as the only art form and your top ten would look LIKE THIS:

1 Titanic

2 Men in Black

3 The Lost World: Jurassic Park

4 Liar Liar

5 Air Force One

6 As Good as It Gets

7 Good Will Hunting

8 My Best Friend's Wedding

9 Tomorrow Never Dies

10 Face/Off
>>
>>94571653

You're on 4chan, and you have to ask this question.
>>
>>94568794

He's a terrible character. He worked back in the innocent old days when he was a simple comedy character, and bullets bouncing off his manboobs and breaking through walls was still funny. But as a seriously serious modern hero in a realistic environment? His powers are just ludicrous and watching the writers struggle trying to create tension around him is painful.
>>
>>94568794

>Explain

Why not just tell him to read a few comics?

>>94571811

>realistic

nigga u stupid
>>
File: Superman Batman.jpg (132KB, 623x883px) Image search: [Google]
Superman Batman.jpg
132KB, 623x883px
>>94571809

it's not even 4chan though. People in general lack that spark of bright eyed hope and wanting to do good for goodness's sake
>>
>>94568794
I'm not a Supesfag, but I've tangled with enough of them to understand why they like the character. They generally fall into two groups: The first being that they like him because "He's trong and doesn't afraid of anything" and appeal to his powers and adventures.

The second group is a bit more high-brow in that they see Clark as a shining beacon of humanity and champion of Earth. Although he's an alien from another planet, he grew up as an American boy in Kansas. He has a boy scout ideology of right and wrong, but unlike human mortals, he uses his powers for what he believes to be the greater good.
>>
>>94571853

Don't look at me, man, I sincerely enjoy earnest, sincere media like the old Superman and Batman shows.
>>
>>94571948
The 60's Batman show was anything but earnest and sincere, it was intentional camp.
>>
File: superman.jpg (60KB, 800x588px) Image search: [Google]
superman.jpg
60KB, 800x588px
>>94571811
>Innocent old days
Right, back when all we had to worry about was the spread of Fascism, deeply entrenched racism, bankers ruining the economy and total thermonuclear war?
>>
>>94571974

Same difference.
>>
>>94570519
No, Moses.
>sent away to save his life
>basket/rocket
>Kents/Egyptians
>exile/left the farm
>burning bush/Fortress of Solitude
>all God's power/power of a god
>return to show people the way/return to save the day
>created by Jews
>>
File: tsubasa consider the following.png (552KB, 423x718px) Image search: [Google]
tsubasa consider the following.png
552KB, 423x718px
>>94571974

you can be campy and sincere. Just because you're taking the piss or going for silly doesn't mean you're doing it out of hate
>>
>>94571927

You know, it's possible to see what's going on in the world in a realistic manner and still hope for something better. I went with a bunch of friends to see NuTrek, one who likes science fiction in a general, uncomplicated way (same way he likes Godzilla as science fiction, for example) and everyone enjoyed themselves and found it entertaining, but to me it lacked the sense that the future is going to be better because people get to do what they want, everyone has opportunities, no one is going to starve or go hungry and doing this isn't going to upset someone because they won't get to play pro ball and become a millionaire, or play at the masters and become a millionaire, or sell some records/act in a movie/sell purses or fashion advice or whatever it is the Khardasians do to make money.

I grew up in a small, one high school town where we left the doors unlocked and when we went to church or the grocery store, the cars were also left unlocked. I currently live adjacent to skid row, in the downtown of one of the largest cities/metro areas on the planet and local throwaway for my part of town runs a police blotter where about once a month a person will bike-jack someone's bicycle or rob a jogger of their Apple Watch or Fitbit.

I expect the best in everyone else around me and I don't see the point in not doing so.
>>
To like Superman, you have to like the IDEA of Superman instead of his incredibly inconsistently written character and lack of any interesting arcs within continuity

Consider that Morrison, memesmith machine, is the de facto Superman writer for most people
>>
>>94571653
Because a lot of people have increasing political/moral issues with the whole Nature vs Nurture debate. Also with the idea of altruism truly existing.
>>
Is it weird that I like him just because he's an all around nice, friendly, if kinda dorky guy? Dude's just likeable, and power levels faggotry has led to everyone forgetting that or not even knowing in the first place.

Honestly, this is the same shit that happened to Diana. So many people, seemingly out of nowhere, started obsessing over the warrior thing, which led to her being written out of character. So many people obsess over Clark's powers instead of who he actually is as a person, which led to him being written out of character. It's fucking retarded.
>>
One thing I like about Superman is that he has no secret origin. He tells everybody he's from Krypton. He just.... leaves out the Kent part. He has no tragedy that makes him want to be a hero. He was just brought up with a strong set of morals. And that's it. He's just a good guy. He was brought up to know people are very flawed but worth helping. He's not trying to prove anything or make up for anything. He's just trying to help.
>>
File: 1499313371421.jpg (27KB, 260x341px) Image search: [Google]
1499313371421.jpg
27KB, 260x341px
>>94572716
>Lack of any interesting arcs within continuity
>>
>>94568794
He's great when he's imbued with symbolism. Of all superheroes, he's probably the strongest symbol there, because he can be used to symbolise many things. The good parts of America, the place of 'superpowers' in the world, the value of journalism from his work as Clark Kent even, what humanity could be.

There's also good opportunity for duality within the character. He's arguably the most powerful member of the Justice League (hell, though power-level chumps might disagree, functionally the most powerful in the DCU) but in many ways he's also the most human.
>>
File: 1500705734297.jpg (78KB, 704x1082px) Image search: [Google]
1500705734297.jpg
78KB, 704x1082px
>>94568794
He's great because like King Arthur or Robin Hood or Hamlet he has a very simple and easy to understand core to his personality that can be played a variety of ways-the loner trying to fit in, the man trying to live up to his own hype, the benevolent sky daddy, the sun god of creativity and life, the intimidating powerhouse.

Just look at all the not-Supermen that exist. Marvel on it's own swims with them: Gladiator, Hyperion (Choose your flavor of King Hyperion, Dematteis Hyperion, Gruenwald Hyperion, Original Squadron Sinister Hyperion, or Hickman Hyperion) Sentry, Blue Marvel, Sun God, etc.

And then there's Mr. Majestic, Apollo, Supreme, Homelander, the list goes on and on and on because he's not just a character. He's a fictional totem who may very well never be forgotten by pop culture.
>>
>>94572716
>incredibly inconsistently written character and lack of any interesting arcs within continuity
We are not talking about Namor, anon.
>>
>>94568794
Honestly, to me there are many sides of him that I just like seeing.

First, he is ultimate good guy dream, like, have you ever heard bad news like a plane is going to crash or submarine is sinking and have you ever thought to yourself "golly, I sure wish I could fly to help poor fellas out, none of them deserved to be in that predicament!". And then, with all his powers, he kind of has to figure out a way not to cause even more damage by trying to help.

Second, he is super complex, he was just raised like some dude from Kansas by normal people and our Sun just happened to give him god like powers. And it's like, how do you even react to that, do you just reject everything you have been taught up to that moment, do you reject people who raised you and aren't even related to you as a species and abuse your power, or do you stick with only life you knew and actually like? In that aspect, superpower is almost a handicap to him.

Third, there are many many many ways he can fail miserably, he can force people to do what he wants as Superman out of fear, if he cuts loose and shit, but as Clark Kent it's an entirely different aspect.
>>
>>94571644
Well, you kind of forgot how he came to Earth ONLY because tragedy occured.
>>
>>94573806
>a lot of people have increasing political/moral issues with the whole Nature vs Nurture debate

It's totally off topic but you're wrong. People understand that Nurture plays a role. That is widely accepted.

Nature is just the arguments that people like to throw as bombs (see the Engineer from Google - if he had simply avoided the 'biology' and the 'inherent' point, AND not been so stupid as to clearly type up his manifesto on company time and then pass it along on a company interoffice system, he'd still have a job. He'd be publicly considered a fucking loser douche canoe by 70% of the employees at Google, but he'd still be collecting a paycheck. All he had to do was send it in to a blog or post it here or reddit or on his Facebook page.

Nurture is a thing. This is also widely accepted. It's been proven, but not to the extent that people want to use it (e.g. this brain is larger, these hormones create this, that presence or or lack of muscle fiber means).

It's the same as anything else. Water or the weather isn't/aren't political or moral issues, it's the context and baggage people want to put it in or put on it.

As far your aside on altruism, go back to reading The Fountainhead.
>>
>>94574724
>Actually defending Google shitcanning a guy for speaking out against its SJW gestapo company culture

I fucking hate the Randroid you're responding to but you're also a prick.
>>
File: Best Dad Is Best.png (450KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
Best Dad Is Best.png
450KB, 500x700px
>>94574686

Do you remember what happens to you when you are that young? Even if you are told? Or you learn of it at a certain age.

Probably what had more impact on him are one of two things: (a) feeling alone in the universe, wanting to and hoping to meet others like him (the classic Mon El comes into his life on a Monday, speaking Kryptonian and with many of his abilities - it's not that Clark doesn't feel loved and wanted by Jonathan and Martha, but it's no longer feeling like one of a kind rarity, and/or ....
>>
File: Home.jpg (483KB, 624x960px) Image search: [Google]
Home.jpg
483KB, 624x960px
>>94574781

2/2

(b) realizing, by whichever canon you want to follow, that his biological parents did want him but sent him away but his home world was dying.

Either version of that is tragic, sure - you're the last one of your kind and your planet is gone, that are part and parcel of the same story.
>>
>>94574724
>Guy discloses that Google out-and-out has backdoor talks about discriminating against hiring whites which is illegal under racism laws in his memo

>Is a legit whistleblower

>Anon defends the racist megacorporation

You are a shit human being. Superman would be ashamed.
>>
>>94574724
>All he had to do was KEEP QUIET AND DON'T ROCK THE BOAT
>All he had to do was avoid the "facts" and "data" point

Cuck. There's no better word for you. You are a cuck. I bet you voted for Hillary.
>>
File: 1483747325766.jpg (274KB, 738x857px) Image search: [Google]
1483747325766.jpg
274KB, 738x857px
He's just a really nice guy.
>>
File: You.png (521KB, 2400x1351px) Image search: [Google]
You.png
521KB, 2400x1351px
>>94574724
>>
>>94574748
>but you're also a prick

You're like glancing at what I wrote and ABSOLUTELY NEITHER READING it, much less comprehending it:

See the Engineer from Google -

>if he had simply avoided the 'biology' and the 'inherent' point

of his little manifesto and not used company resources including the company's interoffice electronic network

[which not that it's really pertinent to you calling me a prick but IF he had posted it HERE under his own name and identifying him as a Google employee OR any other similar public forum OR his own FB page OR similar

He'd have all sorts of rights under California law and a strong case about his rights to speak his mind.

I said absolutely nothing to defend Google and just pointed out that an ENGINEER had been an IDIOT in the choices he made if he wanted to claim free speech, or protections for speaking out, etc.

At worst you could say that I spoke against the Engineer for being dumb (and EVERY lawyer everywhere is saying the same thing) AND/OR that he shouldn't have use 'BIOLOGY' or claimed anyone was 'INHERENT' anything in any direction to make his point. Not without actual science, research, etc. to back him up.

It's opinion, and if he voiced in at a town hall or on 4chan it would have certain protections provided he wasn't say stating an opinion "Google is a gestapo culture" or "Google uses Slave Labor" or anything like that. Additionally, saying, "Google is a gestapo culture because it's leaders are inherently and biologically attuned to act that way towards it's slave labor" would not be defensible much less protected under the California Labor Code and California Constitution because he's using a moot argument with no rationale basis to support an indefensible or baseless opinion that could actually be considered slanderous if Google wanted to act that way.
>>
>>94574724
> if he had simply avoided the 'biology' and the 'inherent' point

if he had simply acted out of fear and bent over backwards to avoid what is, by any rational view, massive overreactions - to what is either geniue misunderstandigs (stupidity) or benevolence,

if he had only tried to read peoples minds and said whatever they wanted to hear/avoided saying something that would make them freak out

if only he had talked down to his collegues, and condesendingly figured out that they couldnt understand him if he just spoke his mind

if only he had attemted to sugar coat, or condescend, and talked to his coworkers like they were babies instead of adults

if only everyone spoke to each other like that

then we could all be babies forever

and you know what? he shouldnt dress that slutty either, he was pretty much asking to be fired, the fucking whore.

comics
>>
File: IMG_1139.png (125KB, 407x653px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1139.png
125KB, 407x653px
>>94568794
Superman is nothing special but gets wanked because he's been grandfathered in as an archetype

>Dude he's Jesus! LMFAO
>>
>>94571016
Damn I never knew Grant's accent was that thicc
>>
>>94574928
>The opinion of a Namorfag
>>
>>94572040
>bankers ruining the economy

get the fuck out
>>
>>94574928
>dude he's not Jesus! LMFAO

Atheists must leave.
>>
>>94571776
Who is 4 and the last two?
>>
>>94574959
4 is Supreme, 13 is Mr. Majestic.
>>
>>94574883

>>94574815
>Is a legit whistleblower

See >>94574912

Legit whistleblowers need to 'blow' the 'whistle' to their Human Resources department, if they are comfortable doing so, or to their appropriate governmental agency [city/county/state] if one exists (and California has it and so does Santa Clara where this incident started since that's where he put it on Google's servers), OR federally (DOL or EEOC, etc.).

So, no. Not at all legit. He's an idiot who typed up ten pages using a Google computer, while AT Google, clocked in, and disseminated it to an entire network where it was accessible company wide. He didn't send it Human Resources. He didn't send it in confidence to the executive(s) in charge of these policies, etc. etc. etc.

>>94574843
>KEEP QUIET AND DON'T ROCK THE BOAT

Again, I said no such thing:
>>94574912 and re-read >>94574724

IF he had fucking published it on Facebook, 4chan or anyplace other than ON GOOGLE'S OWN SERVERS, and he had used his own laptop, phone, what have you to type it up during the weekend, he'd had several California Labor Code laws in his favor.

WHERE IN THAT AM I SAYING 'keep quiet'

as for 'facts' and 'data points'

Dude, if you barely passed high school biology and don't understand why employment decisions aren't based on someone's impressions or ideas of what 'biology' or what an 'inherent' idea someone has about a person's behavior based on their 'inherent' genetic/biological make-up is going to be indefensible and inappropriate to be discussed in terms of employment/advancement, etc. you have absolutely no concept or comprehension of the terms you are trying to use.
>>
>>94574912
>"Guys I think we're turning into a lefty circlejerk and I'm worried because we're starting to shut down people on google services like youtube for wrongthink. Here's some facts and figures on gender norms, what do you think?"
>He gets fired for this
>The explicit reason given for his firing was that he was "forwarding harmful gender stereotypes"

And you defend Google.

You know what, I've changed my opinion of you. You aren't just a shitty human being. You're a coward. You're a drone. You have no masculinity. I'd say I hope you never breed but we both know you never will because you have no balls.

You can't even have the courage and conviction to defend a guy getting bullied by a corporate echo chamber as an anonymous poster. My god, I can only imagine what sort of nightmare of a life you must live.

You're a fucking worm.
>>
>>94574912
he claims to have written it on his own time, over a long period of time. is he lying?

> IF he had posted it HERE
he liked working for google. by his own words, he is a "google fanboy" - why show your neighboors your dirty laundry? Is it not admirable to attempt to solve a problem, rather than just telling the "adults"?

>without actual science, research, etc. to back him up.
original text has links and references all over the place. if you read it on a clickbaite online "media" site, you've been fucked in the asshole.

fundamentally, it really feels like your critique is "well he's stupid because he should have known people would get upset with his choice of words". And that's pretty much the entire point, man.
>>
>>94575000

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0165037

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2015/02/04/science-communication-gender-stereotypes-sexism/

https://equity.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Science-of-Equality-Volume-2.pdf
>>
>>94568794
Much like a joke, if you have to explain a character's appeal, then he is not that appealing a character.
>>
>>94575087
What is your favorite character's appeal? Did my question destroy his appeal?
>>
>>94574999
>He should have sent his memo to get the OK for HR first so it could be PURGED and REDACTED and made into GOODTHINK before being passed on to his fellow worker drones

Fuck you.

>I said no such thing

Fuck you.

>Instead of sharing his thoughts and concerns with his co workers he should have posted it on facebook thereby not sharing his thoughts and concerns with his coworkers

Fuck you.

>"Biology" and "inherent" idea

Fuck you. There are biological differences on average between the sexes. This is fact. This is well known and well documented fact.

>>94575039
>If I link several science journals without context I win the argument

Fuck you.

You are a cuck you are a worm you are a piece of shit mass of flesh in the shape of a humanoid. I'm so glad the country is moving away from your kind, you lefty bottom feeder.

I want you to know that I think you're fucking scum. Not your ideas, not your arguments, you. You're a spineless cuck and I bet if you were in the poor guy's HR manager's position you'd fire him for "being sexist" with a smile on your face while bending over for your employer to pat your head.

Fuck. You.
>>
>>94575028

My point to the original anon who was talking about Nature vs Nurture; Google engineer was just an example of someone who wanted to posit his position and predominantly backing it up with 'nature' (as you all want to call them "data points").

My main critique of that guy is that if he had the brains an engineer should have he should know and realize that POSTING SOMETHING ONTO GOOGLE'S SERVERS means it's going to get out and 'neighbors' will be shown your 'dirty laundry'

I did look at the original text with the clickable links as it was posted on some of the Santa Clara websites.

My main critique of the guy, especially now that he wants to sue, is that he would have had a stronger case if he had NOT put it on the GOOGLE SERVERS while he was CLOCKED IN, ON GOOGLE PROPERTY, IN HIS CAPACITY AS A GOOGLE EMPLOYEE.

If you work for Google, you can say what you want here or on FB or anywhere else as long as you aren't doing things like violating anything specific in your contract (usually discussing proprietary stuff, talking shit about your boss or co-workers in specific terms and naming names in a publicly, and the like) or similar, which if you said it out loud at work would get your shit canned.

You do realize a company like Google can trace the versions of his 'manifesto' as some folks call it, where he crawled for the links, when he printed it or sent it to himself or others, etc. He's not on a private network, and even IF he had done it all away from Google, off their system, not even using take home laptop assigned to him from Google, he still went to work, clocked in, logged into the server, and sent it. He used company resources. There's NO dispute about that.

People do get upset by your choice of words. All of you are falling all over yourselves thinking I'm defending Google. So, clearly people get upset by choices of words.
>>
>>94574999
>if you barely passed high school biology
I think you mean
>if you disagree with me I dont care about your pdh and peer reviewed knowlegde

also that entire parapragh is barely readable. I know where on 4chan, but try using a few commas here and there.

The guy never accuses women of being stupid or lesser equipped for any sort of task. He goes out of his way, not to. He is making every possible concession.

That's what's so terrifying. He's spending hundreds of words making sure he says "I dont think women are stupid liars", and people are either to stupid to understand that, or lying about it.
>>
>>94575129
>This is well known and well documented fact.

Clearly you don't click on links unless you think they are going to agree with you since I supplied well-documented, internationally respected scientifically based research which discussed this very point.

Instead you respond with "FU," all the while misinterpreting what I wrote (as is clear, if he sends the memo to HR, it's not because he WORKS for HR and it's a position paper for the companies' newsletter, they don't get to purge it or redact it, nor do they get to prevent him from making it available to his fellow employees.

You must work at home, in your basement, if you think it's normal procedure for say a McDonalds employee to bitch about company policy in the break room, or send everyone an email re same on the company's interoffice network, likewise for a news anchor at a major cable news channel to complain about a pervasive inappropriate workplace culture by sending accusations of same against specific executives to every employee at the channel by posting it via the companies internal network, or for an employee in the White House to decide he disagrees with a policy and provides numerous facts and clickable links to defend why he thinks this policy is wrong and he forwards his disagreement to every employee in the West Wing using the governments internal network?

That's how modern offices work, right?
>>
>>94575137
>My main critique

He, without detracting from his work (which Google was very pleased with) posted a memo voicing his concerns about the company on the company severs so the company could see it you stupid asshole.

>People think I'm defending Goodle

Jeeze Anon, I wonder where they got that fucking idea from.

You're acting like he put fart bombs in the water cooler and "had it coming" because he "didn't cover his tracks".

He was an employee in good standing who didn't like what the company was doing when it came to policy so like an adult he wrote up a memo and put it on the company servers.

He did NOTHING wrong.

>>94575150
>That's what's so terrifying. He's spending hundreds of words making sure he says "I don't think women are stupid liars" and people are either too stupid to understand or lying about it.

Just look at the chucklefuck Anon you're replying to. He's exactly why the whole thing is so terrifying. He's quick to claim he "had it coming" while making snide insinuations that he's misrepresenting biological facts by posting links to science journals that don't quite say what he thinks they say.

Chucklefuck Anon is exactly why this is a big fucking terrifying deal.
>>
>>94575137
>So, clearly people get upset by choices of words.

well friend,
so fucking what?

I really mean that. What's your point?
I dont understand what youre trying to argue.

is it that he is stupid, because he made people upset? what does wether you can backtrace his movements have to do with anything?
You're all over the place.
are you just saing that he should have know that he'd be fired? that he should have avoided it?
Youre calling him stupid. what would have been the "smart" move? Do you disagree with his goals or his methods?

and you know what? he shouldnt dress that slutty either, he was pretty much asking to be fired, the fucking whore
>>
>>94575150

You stated I said the guy should "keep quiet"

You also stated that I said the guy should avoid 'facts' and 'data' points.

Again, my response to anon was about Nature vs Nurture

My example of the engineer at Google was that the crux of his argument, irrespective of how many links he put in there or how nicely he danced around it, was based on 'biology' and on something being 'inherent' due to genetics and/or biology.

Since you didn't seem to get that I said no such things as you implied, it was clear to me you didn't read, didn't understand, or didn't understand biology and genetics sufficient to understand the points that Google will make to win their trial against this guy when he tries to sue them.
>>
>>94568794
>>he's got the typical Batman is better cuz no powers argument

Don't try to get this type of Batfag into Superman. It just won't work.

Instead try to wean them off Batman by introducing them to other non-powered characters who also don't have infinite money like Bruce does.
>>
>thread about "Why do you like Superman?"
>somehow turns into argument over some Google employee, and possibly something about SJWs and cucks
And this, folks, is why 4chan is such a fucking shitheap. You fuckers simply cannot help but actively seek out something, anything to bitch about. Fuck right off, the lot of you.
>>
>>94575039
>First one

Shows that men are represented more in textbook pictures of STEM careers, which reflects reality. Remains agnostic on whether this contributes to women not going out for STEM because I don't fucking know, they get scared and intimidating but not seeing a lot of women in their textbook?

>Second

Oped piece that basically says "just because men and women are predisposed to act a certain way doesn't mean ALL men and women act a certain way"

Which is what the google guy said in his memo. SEVERAL TIMES.

>Third

UCLA (Jesus Christ Anon really?) document that does the usual "there's a lack of women in X and this must because of sexist white men" thing. Conflates "stereotype threat" with all other possible factors and fails to control for these factors

If you think ANY of these links disprove or discredit what google guy's memo said you're either lying for an agenda or are just plain retarded.
>>
>>94575231
>Using biology and inherent in quotes again

Men and women have average physical and mental differences.

DO YOU AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT?

Because if you're saying he didn't couch what he was saying in enough "well not ALL people are like that" statements you're a goddamn liar Anon.

>Points Google will make

Oh this has to be good. And what points would those be?
>>
File: 4chan vs tumblr.jpg (153KB, 455x1188px) Image search: [Google]
4chan vs tumblr.jpg
153KB, 455x1188px
>>94575279
it's only two autistic retards shitting up the thread, happens everyday, every time, newfag
>>
>>94575231
I'm not the guy you think i am but that's the game

>the crux of his argument, irrespective of how many links he put in there or how nicely he danced around it, was based on 'biology' and on something being 'inherent' due to genetics and/or biology.

*ding dong*
youre a fucking ding dong

he goes OUT OF HIS WAY to not do that, you dishonest child. You're reading youre own insecurities into the text.

>how nicely he danced around it
I hate you. You're the sort of arrogant motherfucker who will tell people what they really think all day, rather than try to listen to them for one second.
He's not dancing around anything, other than the minefield people like you have created in modern public dialogue, you actual fucking child.

Yeah sure, you know his intentions better than himself. Yeah sure, you fucking mindreader. You are a better source for his intentions than he himself. How fucking stupid of me, I'm sorry your highness.

fuck off.
>>
>>94575279
if it was just bitching about Supes or Batgod it would be one (tired as hell but somewhat relevant) thing. This is just grossly off-topic and pointless to argue about.
>>
>>94575344
>4chan
>self aware
>not self-righteous
>doesn't take everything seriously
>"Acting like a stupid piece of shit is the point! Because FUN!!!!!!!!!!!"
... Spent ten years in this hole. I promise you that absolutely everything in that screencap is total bullshit.
>>
>>94568794
He's better than Batman simply by virtue of not spending most of his time in his parents' basement thinking of ways to torture and kill his friends, you know, just in case
>>
>>94575610
>'friends'
>implying Bruce Wayne actually cares about people in any capacity
As far as I'm concerned, Batman has been the true villain ever since Brother Eye.
>>
>>94571776
I don't know what you mean by this list tho
>>
>>94575137
>My main critique of that guy is that if he had the brains an engineer
What does being an engineer have to do with any of this, he posted it on Google's internal servers so it would disseminate there.
>>
>>94575137
>he still went to work, clocked in, logged into the server, and sent it. He used company resources.
He could have done it after already putting in his normal work hours for the day, when he had nothing else to do, and it doesn't cost them anything to send one email.
>>
Really good costume design. Apart from a blunder or two, it has stayed a loooong time.
>>
>>94574999
You mean the HR dept that controls hiring in the first place?
>>
>>94575438
You're bullshit, asshole
>>
>>94571469
>>94571499
That's until everything gets mucked up with Brainiac and bottled cities and a dozen other Krypton survivors.
>>
>>94571644
Some people can't relate to that, anon, and feel closer to someone who was forced to embrace do-gooding by circumstances.
>then they're assholes
That might be true but it's irrelevant.
>>
>>94571653
From a purely narrative standpoint it's a pretty weak motivation.
>>
>>94571644
>Spider-Man is the hero that gets the "most relatable" tag from casuals
Think about this in the context of when Spider-Man was created. Then think about the Superman stories that were being published around the same time.
>>
>>94576265
>think
NO
>>
>>94575039
>stereotype threat
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/rabble-rouser/201512/is-stereotype-threat-overcooked-overstated-and-oversold
>>
File: 002gr05q.jpg (252KB, 927x1447px) Image search: [Google]
002gr05q.jpg
252KB, 927x1447px
>>
>>94574928
>>94571811
Didn't you enough from yesterday, faggot
>>
>>94576577
>all these people bitching at Superman and pretending their problems are more important than anything
Huh. What a bunch of entitled little shits. Must be 4chan users.
>>
>>94576254
Says who?
>>
>>94570519
>created by two jews
Frayed knot. But American writers have definitely installed the ethos over the infinite amount of alternate story lines over time.
>>
>>94568794
>be literally ubermensch
>on the subhuman planet
>too smart to waste life ruling over them
>waste life settling petty human disputes over mundane stuff

Imagine if you move to monkey planet and then all you ever did was watching over monkeys not stealing other monkeys' bananas and putting out forest fires. Sad!
>>
>>94568794
>Can you help me explain to a casual how Superman is a great character?
Why do you want to lie to them?
>>
>>94578849
Being a contrarian is fun.
>>
>>94574959
Last one is Homelander from The Boys.
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.