[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There was nothing in the trailer that made this movie look appealing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: serveimage.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
There was nothing in the trailer that made this movie look appealing in any way. People are only mad because it's a beloved franchise, which is strange coming from a demographic that didn't actually grow up with Popeye. If you were born in or after the mid 1980's, then Popeye only existed as a license that was milked for as much shitty merchandise as was possible to manufacture at the time. It was Garfield tier, but possibly worse because at least Garfield was still in syndication by that point.
Popeye is absolutely not something that needed to be dragged back from the dead as a 3D CG movie produced by Sony. The fact that this new one died for The Emoji Movie makes sense as something that hurts, but if you put that out of your mind it really doesn't look good at all. It's just a martyr against the Emoji Movie which people love to hate. Hating that movie is noble enough in itself, but you should just go back and watch The Quest For Pappy if you want a shitty 3D Popeye voiced by Billy West so bad.
>>
>>94554437
Sony execs have a lot of time for shitposting lately
>>
File: Popeye_Sep30_1934.jpg (450KB, 1200x949px) Image search: [Google]
Popeye_Sep30_1934.jpg
450KB, 1200x949px
>>94554437
Cartoon Popeye is iconic but comic Popeye is best
>>
>>94554437
>If you were born in or after the mid 1980's, then Popeye only existed as a license that was milked for as much shitty merchandise as was possible to manufacture at the time.
Or you saw it in VHS like a ton of old cartoons.
>>
I just wanted to see a Tartakovsky directed spinach fueled rampage.
>>
File: Poochy_(Simpsons_Official_Site).png (55KB, 640x445px) Image search: [Google]
Poochy_(Simpsons_Official_Site).png
55KB, 640x445px
>>94554437
Is it wrong that I want a cartoon about the old-timey adventures of a weird sailor and his cast of oddballs over BE YOURSELF CARTOON #345,723?
>>
>i can only love a series if i was part of the original demographic
>>
>>94554582
>they just stand there instead of shooting the fucker
>>
>>94554583
yes
if you were a real human you'd already be in the middle of making that cartoon yourself
>>
>>94554533
This I owned several VHS tapes with Popeye shorts on them.
>>
>>94554437
Stopped reading after the first sentence. It wasn't a trailer. It was a test animation. It wasn't meant to sell the movie to you the consumer, it was an exercise on the part of the filmmakers to examine what it was they'd be working with and to show to executives. It was NOT a representation of how the movie was actually going to be.
>>
I'm more mad about Medusa desu
>>
File: G3soldiers.jpg (45KB, 638x359px) Image search: [Google]
G3soldiers.jpg
45KB, 638x359px
>>94554599
They're there to take him in alive, and they probably don't want to shoot each other. But that just begs the question why did they even bring the guns in the first place?

At least their outfits are on point.
>>
>>94554437
>There was nothing in the trailer that made this movie look appealing in any way
You ever think you just didn't like it?
>>
The animation looked very slick and well done imho.
>>
>>94554763
intimidation?
>>
>>94554437
Nobody gives a shit about what you personally thought of an animation test or how pointless you think the Popeye film would have been. It boggles down to the fact that many people would have preferred a feature-length film about Popeye over a feature-length film about emojis, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>94554583
>BE YOURSELF CARTOON #345,723?

I YAMS WHAT I YAMS!
>>
File: 1499447660770.gif (3MB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
1499447660770.gif
3MB, 400x224px
>>94554437
>his parents didn't own the vhs tapes of a bunch of old cartoons when he was a kid
I pitty you
>>
>>94554533
That would be the shit
>>
Why do you keep posting these topics trying to get people to sympathize with the canceled Popeye movie? What do you have to gain from it? Saying "Popeye was canceled because of the Emoji movie" would be like saying "District 9 was supposed to be canceled because of Avatar." If they wanted to make the movie, they would have made the movie.

They passed on it. Probably because shit like Tintin and Mr. Peabody had mediocre-to-poor box office performances.
>>
>>94554582
This
>>
>>94555547
Avatar wasn't bad but I'd've been pissed had they canceled District 9 for it.
>>
>>94554437
>t. Sony shill desperate that Emoji movie is dead.
>>
>>94554437
>>94555466
Seriously, I'm so confused. I was a kid in the late 80's and I watched Popeye all the time as a kid, between VHS tapes and the cartoons being rerun on television.

...wasn't it even run with Bozo the Clown in the early 90's? That's a very far off memory, but still. OP seems clueless.
>>
>>94554763
>But that just begs the question why did they even bring the guns in the first place?

As a show of force.
>>
>>94554437
>in the trailer
It was not a trailer, you dimwit.
>>
>>94555784
Shit, meant to say "born in the late 80's"
>>
>>94555784
This, popeye has had reruns on cn for most of my childhood and then this channel "Tooncast" appeared which still runs it today.
>>
>>94554437
>>94552728
So when did this form of shit flinging become a thing?
>>
>>94554437
>people can't watch something if it didn't come out during their lifespan
literally what the fuck
>>
>>94554437
>opeye only existed as a license
but spics grew up with popeye anon, they used to broadcast his toons all the time over here.
>>
>>94554437
Whether a Popeye movie is a good idea or not, the whole "let's make it as cartoony as possible" angle just didn't translate well. Something about it is just so jarring. This is going to sound really stupid, but it didn't seem to follow "toon physics". The laws of weight and gravity weren't so much exaggerated as they were improperly implemented.
>>
>>94555933
>they used to
We still do. Just not as often on open tv anymore.
>>
>>94555874
Same poster spamming the board with multiple identical topics. Not unheard of but always annoying.
>>
>>94555540
It was great. I have really fond memories of watching a VHS with Popeye vs Sindbad on it.
>>
>>94555951
That's what I figured, was just wondering if there was some form of catalyst that caused it or just weaponized autism.
>>
CN used to run reruns of old Popeye cartoons all the time. I was born in the 90s and used to love Popeye as a kid.
>>
>>94554437
Either a shill or a retard. Probably both.
>>
>>94554500
>hamburger on the hoof
I don't think I've ever laughed this hard.
>>
>>94554437
Honestly it looked too PC. I want a Popeye movie with smoking and ethnic stereotypes.
>>
>>94554500
truly, wimpy is the alpha huntsman
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.