[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Millarworld acquired by Netflix >Kingsman sequel coming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 14

File: 1502209325271.gif (45KB, 235x322px) Image search: [Google]
1502209325271.gif
45KB, 235x322px
>Millarworld acquired by Netflix
>Kingsman sequel coming
>Officer Downe from Casey and Burnham last year
>Moore's work keeps getting adapted and readapted on an annual basis
>Moore is an indie director now to boot
>Gaiman, Ellis, Ennis all have sweet $$$ deals
I'm still relevant right guys? Hy-hypercrisis eh..?
>>
the JUST hair makes me laugh every time
>>
now if Milligan and Lapham get things picked up, all of his more talented peers will officially be more successful than him
>>
Happy is getting adapted
>>
>>94526534
>the only thing he could sell is a shitty Ennis parody
They probably got it because they wanted to cash in on Preacher and mixed the names
>>
>>94526489

His work is just so uniquely well-suited to the comics medium that much of what makes it charming and interesting would be extremely difficult to adapt to other mediums. It detracts nothing from its quality, but sadly does mean that the potential profits he can accrue from it aren't what some of these other ceators can hope for.

This said, if he would just hurry the fuck up and finish SeaGuy, I could easily see that being a fantastic Adult Swim cartoon series.
>>
>>94526555
Excuses, excuses
>>
>>94526489
>muhh movies
seriously, this board is such trash... no wonder it's referred to as /tv/'s retarded little brother.
>>
>>94526534
on Syfy channel
so he's as talented as the Wynonna Earp writer I guess
>>
>>94526615
>muhhhh hypercrisis
Morrison is a hack
>>
>>94526600
He finished Seaguy a few years back but Stewart is a faggot.
>>
>>94526600
Moore's work is inifinetly more rooted in the medium yet it doesn't stop people from trying to adapt it again and again. In other words, >>94526607
>>
>>94526656
>Moore's work is inifinetly more rooted in the medium yet
It is not.
>>
>>94526615
This thread is about Morrison being a thieving barely telented druggie hack with a cult of personality, if you could read you'd notice nobody is discussing any movies FAGGOT
>>
>>94526489
>relevance is measured by how many movie deals you have
fuck off back to /tv/
>>
File: 3453565.jpg (25KB, 236x350px) Image search: [Google]
3453565.jpg
25KB, 236x350px
>>94526656
>Moore's work is inifinetly more rooted in the medium yet it doesn't stop people from trying to adapt it again and again.
And it's always trash when they do it.

>inb4 Watchmen
The Watchmen movie has no reason to exist, removed from its cultural context and the medium it was born in, it's just a dreary movie about people in stupid costume being miserable.
>>
File: For_the_Man_Who_Has_Everything.jpg (45KB, 670x373px) Image search: [Google]
For_the_Man_Who_Has_Everything.jpg
45KB, 670x373px
>>94526718
not always
>>
>>94526735
Well, you got me there.
>>
>>94526489
It's the nature of the Wizard War. All-beard disdains corporations but keeps having movies made of his work. No-beard embraces corporations but the best he can do is have a few lines paraphrased into DCEU dialogue. Ever it shall be, to maintain the mystical balance.
>>
>>94526489
Don't forget

>magnum opus stolen by two nobodies from Chicago who proceed to ruin the ending.
>>
>>94526555

Happy's a pretty decent premise for a tv show.
>>
>>94526656
>Moore's work is inifinetly more rooted in the medium

Not really. Moore's work is basically "literature in comics form", which he's always been the first to admit.

Morrison's work is so dependent on the comics medium that it doesn't even makes sense outside of the medium.
>>
>>94526927
wat.
>>
>>94527041
The Matrix is The Invisibles with Sci-Fi dressing.
>>
The Assassin's Creed series has also borrowed some elements of The Invisibles
>>
moz' work will be deified after the Great Disaster, youre gonna see little kid kamandis running around with tattered all star supermans and final crises like theyre the good books, just you wait
>>
>>94526735
while it is the best adaption of any of his works it just pales in comparison to the original. still good on its own but honestly incomparable imo
>>
>“There’s a tension between us based on past history, but not… what you say isn’t necessarily true, I don’t want to say bad things about people like Mark and anyone but yes Kick Ass was made, Wanted was made, there are no other films any more made than say Joe The Barbarian and We3 which are all in the same state of production with directors attached, with screenplays…

>“Hollywood doesn’t work that way, you can’t walk in a room, and he doesn’t… you know I live in Hollywood, I live here four months of the year and I can know what goes on, there aren’t 200 million dollars films being made, what can I say… I don’t really want to say… I don’t want to come out against somebody who will see it as an attack, it’s all too easy to do.

>“Mark has to make a certain smoke screen of himself, to look a certain way you know. Look at sales of Ultimates Comics Ultimates Vs Ultimate Avengers… that’s what it’s all about right now…

>“I wish him well but there’s not good feeling between myself and Mark for many reasons most of which are he destroyed my faith in human fucking nature.”

How mad is Grant now five years later?
>>
millar writes with films in mind. i like his jupiter stuff, not a great deal more. his secret service makes me cringe, he really really stereotypes.
i did like that army super power thing he never finished too
>>
>>94526489
>>Millarworld acquired by Netflix
Is Millar now the richest comicbook creator?
>>
>>94529342
>Is Millar now the richest comicbook creator?
>now
That fuck's probably been the richest comicbook creator for 7 years now.
>>
HAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA
>>
>>94528941
This.
Millar saw all the bank DC made with Watchmen, sat on the sidelines as Marvel films got going, and straight up decided to write comics to sell to studios and committed to it as his career.
Millar is one of those people who has zero problems taking the best available path to money.
He's always wanted the riches and equates success with popularity and money.
Fair play to him.
>>
Are we getting a nemesis movie tho?
>>
>>94528708
did Millar fuck Morrison's wife or what, seriously, he sounds so goddamn mad and as best as I know Millar only stole the credit of a few stories he worked in the 90's,
what happened?
>>
>>94527085
And King Mob is just Jerry Cornelius and The Metabaron.
>>
>>94526489
Honesty, if he can revamp Heavy Metal into something great (like he's on track for doing, that book is better now than it's been in decades, and 1985 looks sweet af), then he'll continue to be the underworld god of comics for years to come.

I think that's his long game plan. Just wait it out until Millar kills himself snorting diamonds through rolled-up royalty checks.
>>
Grant is a better writer than those guys every day of the week. By this litmus Robert Kirkman is one of the best comic book writers of the modern era.
>>
>>94529981
It was included with the Netflix buy so I imagine that or a series, yes
>>
He's too bust making comic books real.
>>
>>94530605
is Netflix going to bundle comics with subscriptions now? That's what I'm wondering
>>
>>94530561
Revamping Heavy Metal isn't exactly an accomplishment; it's been terrible for years, anyone with decent editorial vision and competent creative acquisition could have made Heavy Metal better.

>>94530542
Neither Invisibles or The Matrix were groundbreaking or unique in plot or themes, it's all presentation.
>>
>>94530739
Obviously taking something crap and making it good isn't revolutionary, otherwise we'd have daily threads wanking his Heavy Metal direction.

I'm talking about taking Heavy Metal back to where it was in the 70s, an independent science-fiction anthology showcasing the cutting-edge of ideas and art that comics can provide. We need a new Moebius, and if he can't be found by conventional artist trawling, then by gum Morrison will just have to homunculus one together out of old pulp and plutonium scrapings.
>>
>>94526489

>>94526600
pretty much this to an extant multiversity or felx metallo would lose something as a movie

but don't we have animated movies based on his batman run & all star superman? (granted either them would've work alot better as an animated series than movies) or is this one of those "live action movies only count" threads
>>
>>94530865
I think something that Morrison's fanboys are unwilling to admit is that the majority of Morrison's work would be perfectly fine adapted into films/tv and most of the people saying his works are too rooted in the comic medium have never watched experimental films. Multiversity, for example, has very little that would be difficult to translate to film.
>>
File: son-of-batman-blu-ray.jpg (520KB, 2000x2533px) Image search: [Google]
son-of-batman-blu-ray.jpg
520KB, 2000x2533px
>his work turned into shitty animated films
>>
>>94530986
But they would require a big budget. Big budget experimental films just aren't common anymore.
>>
>>94526489
I like a lot of Morrison's work but unfortunately it's by and large too weird to be mainstream successful. He doesn't really have any famous works with mass appeal.
>>
>>94531286
You don't need the entire film to be experimental, just portions - and usually small portions at that.
>>
>>94530986
You know nothing about the film industry, and how WB work within that industry if you think Multiversity could be easily adapted. It would cost millions, and it would be so cryptic and esoteric and impenetrable to the casual watcher that it wouldn't gross dollar one.

Could you actually imagine someone watching 2017's Summer Blockbuster Justice League™ and then sitting down to watch Nix Uotan traversing the Orrery of Worlds via comic books-as-boomtubes?
>>
>>94531393
Willingness to be adapted and ability to be adapted are two very different things.

The only portion of Multiversity that would be cryptic, esoteric, and impenetrable would be Ultra Comics.
>>
>>94526489
His stuff is too weird to adapt.
>>
>>94526489
Kingsman was pretty good, hope Kingsman: The Golden Circle is great too.
>>
>>94530986
>Multiversity, for example, has very little that would be difficult to translate to film.
its not impossible it just gets muddy.
like, if in the multiversity movie they use comics to see what's happening in other universes, that doesn't have the same uncannyness that it does when you yourself are reading about it in a comic. but if you change it so that they see what's happening in other universes by watching movies, that's not really any different from your standard scifi video recording.
more than any other medium, comics are the least real in our minds. people always speculate that so and so novel, or song, or movie is actually based on true events, or actually has something spooky about it, or some hidden truth about the director/writer/composer's darkest secret like a backmasked recording of their wife screaming as they murder her or whatever. comics pretty much don't have that. they are too modern and too fake. they don't have the thousands of years of cultural relevancy that books do, wherein it was only the middle ages where it started to click with people that just because someone wrote about it doesn't mean it happened. they don't have the capturing of things that actually had to have happened, even if just people acting it out for the sake of recording, that music, photography and film do.
Hell people are more wiling to believe there might be something real about a cartoon or a videogame than they are a comic, based on the kinds of creepypasta that become popular.
and that's what makes metafiction comics uniquely weirder than metafiction in other mediums.
>>
File: DELETE.jpg (382KB, 1175x860px) Image search: [Google]
DELETE.jpg
382KB, 1175x860px
>>94531524
Yeah, but whole parts would be lost in the translation. Like the whole soldier and hunchback, three-scenes-in-one sequence from Pax Americana.

I was watching the New Frontier movie the other night, and my god, do tons of little moments from that comic become crap and stilted when adapted. Pic related.
>>
File: 1500983324079.jpg (22KB, 552x468px) Image search: [Google]
1500983324079.jpg
22KB, 552x468px
Why is there a contingent of people on this board that seem to hate Morrison so much?

He's certainly better than fucking Millar. He's also better than Milligan, if Shade is anything to go by. Shade isn't terrible though.
>>
>>94531639
He's not better than Milligan but he is better than Gaiman and Ennis. Ellis doesn't belong in this conversation.
>>
>>94531639
Contrarians, but also people who are sick of how much hype he gets, which, if we're all honest, is more than he's worth even if he is the messiah of comics.
>>
>>94531639
Reactionary to the contingent of people on this board who think Morrison can do no wrong.
>>
>>94531706
Well that's pretty stupid
>These people enjoy the works of this guy and that makes me mad! I must shit on him!
>>
Didn't Morrison buy a fucking castle with the royalties from all the Batman related stuff? I don't think he's hurting nearly as you guys are suggesting.
>>
>>94531769
He can't get a movie greenlit and it really sticks in his craw.
>>
>>94531769
Yeah he's filthy rich. Also, if you write a script for a movie you still get paid even if the movie doesn't get made.
>>
>>94531756
It's a back and forth. Trying to have a thread on Morrison that actually critiques his works, both good and bad, will usually wind up with his fanboys and/or his haters derailing it.
>>
>>94531639
Shade isn't even Milligan's best work but I do agree that people need to calm down on the Morrison hate. He's great. He's not comic book fucking Jesus but he's great.
>>
>>94531854
His fanboys don't derail it.
>>
>>94530473
does somebody know?
>>
>>94526489
The fact that his JLA and his Batman is not adapted is only WB fault and their desperate wish to make DCAU not a superior adaptation of iconic comics, but dark-filtered MCU clone instead.
>>
>>94531896
The amount of time I've seen threads devolve into "You're just too stupid to understand it," is pretty big. Like I said, it's a back and forth. Fanboys are more prevalent when he's releasing something, haters more prevalent when he's not.
>>
>>94531921
>>94530473
They collaborated on many early works for 2000AD, and then eventually for Marvel with stuff like Skrull Kill Krew.

But where Morrison thought deconstructing comics into something better would be the way forward, Millar thinks that taking the bare bones of a story and hyperinflating them into ultraviolent, ultrarapey proportions (like Kick-Ass) and then selling the rights off immediately is the way to go. Many of Millar's stories are written with the direct intent of selling the movie rights, something Morrison tried, and failed, to do with his gritty Santa Claus origin story.

I feel like if I loved the medium as much as Morrison, and wanted to change it for the better like he does, and then I found a young, likeminded guy and tried to work with him to do great things, and then that guy just took everything I taught him and used it to make everything edgier for money, I'd probably hate his fucking guts too.

Hell, I hate Millar's guts just because he writes shit stories, and I don't even know the guy.
>>
>>94531989
>You're just too stupid to understand it," is pretty big
Usually it's in response to the people that shit on Morrison because others like him.
>>
>>94531675
>better than Gaiman
now we're full /co/ntrarian
>>
>>94532070
Gayman kind of sucks. His prose books are garbo.
>>
>>94532004
I think it really should be noted that while Millar does have his ultraviolent, edgy stories, he's also perfectly able to write other types of stories.

I think it more boils down to how Morrison views superheroes and interprets their place in cultural consciousness opposed to Millar, as Morrison himself isn't above putting ultraviolence and edge in his stories.
>>
>>94532004
just that?
Millar just sell out and thats why Morrison is so assblasted?
I mean, isn't kinda the same thing Moore did and say about him too?
>>
>>94532106
I think Millar wrote that one good Superman story, but aside from that, I've never read anything of his that wasn't full edgelord. Likewise, I can't think of anything of Morrison's that's overly edgy without at least trying to say something underneath.

Maybe there are examples of both that I've never encountered, though.
>>
>>94532157
You mean Red Son? The one Morrison gave him all the ideas for and never got any credit back on? Because I'm pretty sure that's a point of contention with him.
>>
>>94532182
No, the other one. "If you knew how you were loved, none of you would raise a fist in anger again." Was that not Millar, or am I talking out of my ass? I haven't read a cape comic in some time.
>>
>>94532120
>just that?
Most likely not but they never talk about it so...
>>
>>94532207
Pretty sure that was Ennis.
>>
>>94532207
That was Ennis, dumbass.
>>
>>94526735
This is so good even Alan Moore likes it
>>
>>94532223
>>94532240
Fuck, mixed up my edgies. What issue was it? Was it in Hitman?

I guess previous Anon is right, just Red Son, then. Unless people can name better Millar comics.
>>
>>94532259
Reminder that Alan Moore has never seen Watchmen.
>>
>>94532268
Millar also wrote the Superman: TAS comic (Adventures of Superman, I believe it was) which was
1) Very good
2) The absolute opposite of edge
>>
>>94532268
I would honestly say some of Millar's better work was with Marvel's Ultimate universe. Even then, it was only marginally better than 616, at the time.
>>
>>94532367
That's what I was thinking of. Got my Superman comics crossed.

>>94532377
I can't forgive Ultimates for having an abusive Pym, and so undoing all the development 616 Pym had gone through up to that point.
>>
>>94532004
ME AND GWANT - *KLIK*
ME AND GWANT - *KLIK*
>>
>>94532268
>>94532157
Adventures of Superman. Red Son likewise doesn't read like a Morrison Superman story except for the very end. It should be noted that Morrison ended his Action Comics run on a stable time loop.

As for non-edgy Millar, Starlight off the top of my head. Edgy without an underlying message Morrison is We3, surprisingly, and Bulleteer.
>>
>>94532433
Was Starlight good? I remember reading the first issue and being intrigued by Space Opera, but turned off by Millar.
>>
Maybe Morrison is using sigil magic to keep out of Hollywood's attention.
>>
>>94532405
Different universe. If anything Pym comes across as rather sympathetic later in the run.
>>
File: 1499305081356.jpg (82KB, 800x596px) Image search: [Google]
1499305081356.jpg
82KB, 800x596px
>>94526489
>getting your comics adapted is a measure of success

pleb mentality

>>94526656
No, Moore's comics are rooted in literature. Morrison takes the comic medium itself - the whole book with it's pages and the way you need to read them - and builds around it. WE3 and that utter clusterfuck of a comic with the "astronauts find god" premise are examples of it.
>>
>>94532478
It's underdeveloped, but a pretty great pulp space opera homage.
>>
>>94532493
I know it's a different universe, but try telling that to Marvel and especially to Marvel fans.

Once the idea of Pym being a wifebeater had entered back into the public consciousness, he was immediately sidelined. His character development went to shit, and the only good books he's had since then have been Slott's Mighty Avengers, Humphries' Avengers AI (which was awful, but at least he tried to do something with Pym) and Rage of Ultron, which killed him.

Prior to Ultimates, Hank was bouncing back, he and Janet were together, he was overcoming his demons. Since Ultimates, Hank's entire character has been that he's losing to his demons.
>>
>>94532004
>something Morrison tried, and failed, to do with his gritty Santa Claus origin story.

Really? I though Morrison just wanted to tell a feel good story with his trademark pseudo-grittyness and extradimensional ayy lmaos
>>
>>94532207
That's Ennis not Millar
>>
>>94532610
Austen was shitting on Hank in his Avengers run that was contemporaneous with Ultimates and Bendis took over Avengers a few months after Ultimates 1 ended.
>>
>>94532478
He's mostly gone away from writing edgy stuff when Man of Steel "broke" him.
>>
>>94526656
>Moore frequently just uses purple prose in text bixes with pretty pictures
>infinitely more suited to the medium
Moorefags are such cucks they don't realize that guys like Gibbons, Bissette, Totleben, Ha and Williams carried him
>>
>>94530542
Fuck off Morcock you admitted you didn't read it
>>
>>94533108
Anybody who reads "Entropy in the UK" and can't see Moorcock in it is deluded.
>>
File: alanmooreneonomiconhornbook11.jpg (182KB, 655x1023px) Image search: [Google]
alanmooreneonomiconhornbook11.jpg
182KB, 655x1023px
>>94533063
>Moore in charge of a comic script
>>
>>94532070
Gaiman has Sandman and that's it (yes he obviously has written more comics than that, but that's the only one that's in the 'canon'). Which is completely overrated. Meanwhile Morrison has been churning out top level cape stuff and some good non cape going on 3 decades
>>
>>94533192
>I've never read Books of Magic
>Or Graveyard Book
>Or Hellblazer #22
>>
>>94533223
>a 4 issue mini series
>a one shot
Damn, what a workhorse.
>>
>>94529709
Wanted came out before Watchmen and only a month after Iron Man though
>>
>>94533271
>quantity is quality
>>
>>94531888
For years, Morrison was called "God of All Comics". It's good to see him fall into irrelevancy
>>
>>94531896
Tell it to people discussing X-Men
>>
>>94533369
>It's good to see him fall into irrelevancy
You realize he got big in the late 80's right?
>>
>>94533397
His X-Men was very uneven and had a lot of shitty art too. His last arc was a turd too. No, wait, his last arc was the one with Silvestri and that one was alright.
>>
>>94533433
>and had a lot of shitty art too.
Your opinion on Quitely?
>>
>>94533304
We have yet to see his "brilliant" ending of Miracleman
>>
>>94533454
Quietly is awesome though his work on X-Men is not his best. JPL did an issue too. Rest is mediocre(Jimenez) or awful as fuck(iiigggoor)
>>
>>94533369
Morrison is actually the the only guy from the first wave of the British Invasion to have published something most recently that people actually read
>>
>>94533543
Fuck the British invasion!
>>
>>94526489
What's interesting about Morrison is that he basically wants to write comics, play with the medium's own strengths and weaknesses.

Millar has been doing "straight to comic movie treatments" for over a decade now. It's no wonder they're turning to him when capeshit is the current Hollywood cashcow.

If you want something like OCEAN'S ELEVEN IN SOUTH AMERICA AND EVERYONE HAS SUPERPOWERS, yeah, he's your guy. If you're interested on the comic medium itself, then you're basically playing second-banana to stuff Hollywood has already made a buck in with an arbitrary 'twist' to try to set it apart from more prestigious older cousins.
>>
>>94533223
I've read all 3, (Hold Me is one of my favorite Hellblazer stories for sure) but none of them are in the 'canon' of influential and acclaimed works in the genre. Meanwhile Morrison wrote the meta playbook with Animal Man (even Dave Sim ripped that one off), the modern blueprint for the team book in JLA, revitalized the X-Men after the post Claremont slump, helped craft the unprecedented and never repeated 52 and wrote the best Superman and Batman of the 21st century.
Really you should have mentioned "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader" because that's the only thing as well crafted as Sandman that Gaiman's ever done.
>>
>>94526489
according to his company accounts, Morrison's making about £300,000 cash every year

Millar's accounts showed more, but it was assets and they seemed to depreciate heavily, suggesting that his ideas don't pay out anything like as well as the headlines about selling this and that might lead you to believe

regardless neither is doing badly right now; Millarworld (the company that was sold) valued its assets around £2m last year, so that's probably a good ballpark for what Netflix paid

if Millar's smart, he got that in cash, if not, who cares

Warren Ellis's accounts are hilarious - you can almost hear him swearing about not having the patience for it and pouring himself another drink, but he's not making any money through his personal company, so either he's paid direct (which isn't unreasonable) or he has all of his other accounts offshore (which is possible)

haven't looked for Gaiman, Ennis probably doesn't have a company registered in the UK (and I don't know if Eire has a publicly-searchable companies register)
>>
>>94533643
he "revitalized" the X-Men so hard, that very soon after he left we had "no more mutants" shit and decimation as the result of his revitalization. Also, he almost made Magneto unusable, and not because he wanted to tell a good story, but because he wanted to send a big fuck you to Marvel and X-Men fans.

Also, he completely ruined Genosha, he rehashed Phoenix saga, Days of Future Past, the Kirby/Lee Magneto stories, Xavier's dark entity, Weapon X, among others. His only original idea was Sublime, which he himself ruined at the end by making it a bacteria, which itself was a rip-off of Byrne's idea during his WCA era
>>
>>94533818
cont. in many ways, he is responsible for the "extinction" angle of the X-Men that plagued it for years
>>
>>94533818
yeah, it's totally Morrison's fault that Bendis is a hack
>>
>>94533906
>bendis
>>
>>94533930
Bendis? The writer?
>>
>>94533906
Bendis was only following Quesada's orders who wanted the "too many mutants now" genie put back in the bottle. I imagine he was partially motivated by spite since Morrison signed his exclusive at DC without ever telling him.
>>
>>94533956
And nowadays we have "too many inhumans now", but somehow it's not a problem anymore
>>
>>94533818
Oh right, it's his fault that editorial went full retard when he wasn't even at the company, of course. And he killed Magneto off, which means his characterization could have been and was easily ignored when he was brought back. His OCs are still well used characters in the X franchise, the popularity of his run was a rising tide that lifted the rest of the line in terms of popularity, and it is not Morrison's fault they put Chuck fucking Austen on the book as a followup.
>>
>>94533646
Morrison also made a fuckton, and still does, on Arkham Assylum because of the royalties deal he cut on that book.
>>
>>94534177
The follow-up writer to Morrison was Whedon, whose bland Kitty-waifuing run still gets praised for some reason.
>>
>>94533585
>all comics are just movies already made with a twist
By this logic all movies are plays and novels with a twist. I mean for fuck's sake "older cousins"? Comics predate film and have been a major medium for about as long
>>
>>94534177
It's like you didn't even read my post.
Editorial was fixing his mess. His MESS, that he did.

>OCs
Like, Quentin Quire? The most cancerous X-Men character? Which doesn't say much, but still
>>
>>94534224
Cassady's art actually makes that run good.
>>
>>94534224
Good art, and good storytelling. Apparently, that's enough to be praised.

Of course, it's not as "good" as Bizarro's Bizarro, but it's readable
>>
File: fucker.jpg (53KB, 792x600px) Image search: [Google]
fucker.jpg
53KB, 792x600px
>>94534264
>unironically defending House of M
Holy shit
>>
>>94534300
>Defending
Yeah, read with comprehension, idiot.
It's cool that you completely ignored the rest of my post, where I mention Genosha, and Morrison being completely unoriginal.
>>
>>94533818
>>94534177
He did revitalize it because it was losing steam after being THE comic of the 90s. The post Morrison X-Men are still shit though.
He's right that there were too many mutants and Genosha was a stupid idea anyway and he created some cool OCs but his run was too plot driven when it should've been character driven, his Magneto was pure ass and I don't k ow what's dumber, that he was killed him or that editors allowed him to. His X-Men is a clusterfick because it has some genuinely great ideas but also some really retarded ones.
>>
>>94534323
>it was losing steam
It was best selling comic for many years after Morrison came. Beside, it's not like there was no Exiles, X-Statix, to name only the few.

>The post Morrison X-Men are still shit though.
Yeah, like Carey's Legacy, Spurrier's Legion, or Remender's X-Force, or Gillen's Uncanny X-Men.
>>
File: IMG_1494.jpg (571KB, 1041x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1494.jpg
571KB, 1041x1600px
>>94527029
>Not really. Moore's work is basically "literature in comics form", which he's always been the first to admit.

Yeah I noticed when I read Providence a few days back and there was just an ages and pages of journals, still a great book but it gets annoying when a good chunk of the comic is a journal still a great book though with by far one of the weirdest rape scenario I've ever read
>>
>>94534323
To attract big name talent, Marvel was quite open at the time about how editorial wouldn't touch your scripts at all, only providing copy-editing. They gradually moved away from this, which is partially why Morrison switched to DC (Jemas refused to greenlight Marvel Boy 2 because he hated cosmic stories).
>>
>>94534380
can you read? It was losing steam BEFORE Morrison came on

Remender's X-Force sucks
>>
>>94534428
aaand into the garbage your post goes
>>
>>94534317
Maybe write with more comprehensibility you fucking retard
>>editorial was fixing his mess. His MESS
Sounds like you're defending it to me since you see it as a fix. As for being unoriginal, what the fuck do you want me to say? Anything I say about it you'll go "Nuh UH, there are similar plot points, checkmate!". You have it in your mind that it's a redo, I can't change that. Genosha? Yea he fucking nuked it, did that inherently make his story bad? No.
>>
>"I know magic"
Could never even get his books out on time during the Batman run.

>"For real I'm a super sigil maker with the power to shape entire cultures"
Is totally irrelevant. G. Willow Wilson and Erica Henderson have more cultural influence.

>"I've got this major new revelation that you've never heard before: Superheroes are... myths."
Contributes absolutely nothing of value all throughout the past decade when superhero movies became the dominant form of Western culture

His Batman run is still my favorite run of all time tho
>>
>>94533646
I like Morrison's JLA, but his blueprint for team books is just the standard 70-80's team book formula. It isn't ground breaking in the least.
His metafiction stuff is borrowed from prose fiction, and I don't like it there either.
Oh, we're in a story! Now this is a story about stories! How depressingly British.
>>
>>94534452
considering people who aren't Henderson are drawing Squirrel Girl as a normal non-deformed-mutant person, she doesn't have much influence at all
>>
>>94533173
>1 page for one panel
>single spaced
Jesus fucking christ
>>
>>94527085
Not even close. I remember when Morrison was crying about how The Matrix ripped off The Invisibles, way back when The Matrix was something cool.

Well, guess what, there are precious few similarities.

Meanwhile The Invisibles was a patchwork rework of Robert Anton Wilson, Carlos Castaneda, David Icke, etc etc etc. I like The Invisibles, but it isn't very original.
>>
>>94534443
It took editorial over 10 years to retcon everything that Morrison did. The last thing left to retcon is QQ. Seeing HoM as the One and Only "fix" is a huge misunderstanding.

Are you trying to tell me that Phoenix / Imperial Guard arc was unique? Or that doing Days of Future Past riff was unique? I already mentioned that the only original thing that Morrison did was Sublime and the concept on U-Men. And that's it. Everything else was a rehash.

And the thing is, it's really strange how someone is revered, despite having a very mediocre run.
>>
>>94534398
>Providence has rape.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. My fucking sides.
>>
>>94526600
This is the case, they were adapting the Invisibles a few years ago but how could it be anything other than a comic? He is to comics what Monet was to impressionism or Dali to surrealism, he's the only person whose purely a comic writer.

And fuck netflix, they're 20 BILLION in the hole and getting deeper and it'll all be over once everyone else has their streaming services up, there aren't enough autistic 12 year old cat torturers out there to make buying millarworld a success
>>
File: jesus christ alan.jpg (95KB, 640x984px) Image search: [Google]
jesus christ alan.jpg
95KB, 640x984px
>>94534494
And this is the panel.
>>
>>94534495
>Precious few similarities

>The bug monsters have humanity trapped in a dreamworld
>They have agents within this dreamworld who infiltrate the entire military and are typical MIB suits
>Ragtag group of rebels who appeal to a specific subculture of the time (early 90s punk in The Invisibles, late 90s industrial goth in Matrix)
>The leader is a bald guy in Lennon glasses
>The protagonist has an epiphany in an abandoned subway

It's pretty similar.
>>
>>94531639
>Why is there a contingent of people on this board that seem to hate Morrison so much?
Because he let us down and because he hasn't come up with anything remotely innovative since Flex Mentallo.

He's neck and neck with Moore as far and away my favorite comics writer. But you know what I don't need any more of? Grant recycling the same things and miming the same stance about how he's all above it all and beyond it all, like he's the dude really with his finger on the pulse and is really intellectual about it. Because he's read, like, Terrence fucking McKenna twenty-five years ago.
>>
>>94534542
U gonna git raped, gurl.
>>
>>94534380
>Remender's X-Force, or Gillen's Uncanny X-Men
These are shit.
>>
>>94534520
Morrison killed off Quentin, it was other writer's choices to contine using him. Also
>forgetting the Stepford Cuckoos.
>Hurr Morrison's run is such cancer it needed 10 years of systematic retcons to be done away with
Maybe if they actually tried to use his model, then we wouldn't have their mess. Their MESS. They made.
>>
>>94534613
Spoken like a true Morrisonfag
>>
>>94534624
What model?
>>
>>94534557
>Leap of faith of a tall building to establish their power
>Kung fu leather as a theme
>>
>>94534660
>Xavier institute is actually a school, with a campus and the stories should reflect this with teen slice of life stuff
>X-Men should be professors when it makes sense
>Tons of students, lots of turnover, lots of OCs
>People still fuck with Mutants and the teacher X-Men solve those problems
>The X-Men still save the world
Funny that they did indeed go back to this model around Aaron's run, 10 years later when it was too late.
>>
>>94534636
Maybe if I were to shit on the others I'd understand but as it is you're a Gillen and Memenderfag.
>>
>>94526673
Read the OP again you salty fat fuck, even if you wrote it, it's about adaptations into film and TV
>>
>>94534613
Don't even like Gillen most of the time, but his Uncanny was great, bad art aside.
>>
>>94534520
>>94534624
Glob Herman is also still running around
>>
>>94534746
>Xavier institute is actually a school, with a campus and the stories should reflect this with teen slice of life stuff
Ooooh, I fucking hate that stuff. It changed the X-Men from being superheroes into social workers. I certainly didn't like Aaron's era, and I don't know anyone who does.

>Tons of students, lots of turnover, lots of OCs
Too much of a cast is never a good idea. It's always better to have smaller cast.

>People still fuck with Mutants and the teacher X-Men solve those problems
Like they always did, but okay. Many many times the X-Men were actually tutoring young mutants, only it was like one at the time, instead of hundreds.

>The X-Men still save the world
Here where it gets tricky. Because if you have kids under your guidance, you cannot go into space, or fight some dictators on some island, because it gets really really stupid and irresponsible.

Not to mention that there is something icky about a paramilitary group indoctrinating kids, which is what Morrison aimed at.
>>
>>94534557
I'm seeing Daniel Paul Schreiber, Natural Born Killers, Borges, and the Warriors in what you listed.
>>
>>94534471
You seem evil.
The ending of Doom Patrol is one of the biggest gut punches of emotion in comics.
>>
>>94534746
So you're just going to ignore the Kyle and Yost stuff that is exactly what you're talking about?
>>
If you like Morrison, you're probably a good-for-nothing left-wing-leaning parasite.
>>
>>94535078
Liking any comic published after 1963 means you're probably a good-for-nothing left-wing-leaning parasite
>>
>>94534624
>go public with the school
>every kid that attends is now instantly outed as a mutant

>go apply for a job
>"I see that you attended the Xavier Institute. What is you mutant power? Am I going to have a giant robot smashing into my building to catch you one day?"

GG Morrison
>>
>>94535113

But you're forgetting about delusion, anon.
>>
>>94534913
Those are all individual things that have one of those repeating tropes in them. Not all of them. Last time I checked, there was no alternate-universe bug monsters keeping humanity hostage in The Warriors.

Way to look stupid being a pedant.
>>
>>94534471
Condsidering Heinlein and Auster, Americans, popularized the "character meets the author" trope, I think you're kinda off base.
>>
>>94535015
I haven't read DP. The art puts me off. I imagine I'll get to it eventually, but I had a hard enough time getting past the shit art in Animal Man.
And, anon, liking metafiction is evil. You're evil. I'm like a beacon of goodness. A beacon.
>>
>>94535122
Not only that
>X-Men? That clandestine terrorist group
>You have affiliation with THEM?
>>
>>94535122
>Most of the kids were visibly Mutants in the first place
>The institute obviously has connections with mutant friendly employers
>>
>>94526489
Morrison needs an art for to go with his crazy ideas. Animation maybe. CGI is garbage but that also. He needs to change himself if he wants to take his out there ambitious ideas and see them translated into anything live action based. It can be done but idk if he wants to.
>>
>>94535157
>Moviefag detected
>>
>>94535153
>I haven't read DP.
Why do you feel qualified to give an opinion on Morrison if you haven't read his major works?

>liking metafiction is evil
wtf I hate the Watchmen comic now

wtf I like the Watchmen movie better because it does away with the metafiction aspect of the comic now
>>
>>94535205
Fuck of genejoke
>>
>>94535151
I'm sorry I thought we were talking anout comics, anon. Perhaps you'd like to pull in some film references too. Or maybe something about sculpture as long as we're all the fuck over the road.
>>
>>94534874
There should always be some group of young mutants being taught at the school whether it's New Mutants, Generation X, New X-Men, or Generation Hope, though sure one could argue that Morrison included too many. It's always funny how the sliding timeline makes all these kids age up to young adulthood while the adults' ages are frozen in place.
>>
>>94535026
Oh, my bad. Still 5 years later and post HoM though.
>>
>>94535222
Yeah. Making it a full-out school was a little too much, albeit, I did love the Utopia era, which ironically, made the X-Men more Inhumans-like
>>
>>94535206
>why do you feel qulaified-
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Also, I do prefer the movie, for that very reason. Stories about stories suck.
>>
>>94534530
If Netflix goes down its piracy again. No one wants to have multiple streaming service payments. Amanzon might be OK only because people already want prime. Adding 8 for HBO or something else isn't a big deal. So that might work if everyone allows their streaming through other companies for a 5 dollar fee or something.
>>
>>94535217
You brought up prose you chucklefuck, also the Auster work in question was adapted to comics by David Mazzuchelli.
>>
>>94534542
Its a good panel good amount of things happening but I feel like the angle is off for that review mirror shot.
>>
>>94535183
>>The institute obviously has connections with mutant friendly employers

Universities have connections to socialist friendly shit, that doesn't mean everyone there was working for the KGB

>>Most of the kids were visibly Mutants in the first place

That's another thing that Morrison fucked up. Most mutations were minor, neither powerful nor visible. The few that suffered from being ugly were the Morlocks. The few that were powerful ended up as X-men or were named villains. By drastically increasing the amount of power the average mutant had he made it harder for "mutant rights" to make any sense.
>>
>>94535263
fuck off and never darken /co/'s doorstep again
>>
>>94534200
That's probably accounted for via his company earnings.

Whatever it is, it's not more than 300k/yr.
>>
>>94535183
The institute was filled with people who were mutant friendly players. Also she hulk had a job forever somehow.
>>
>>94535353
I've heard him described as a "millionaire overnight" in the 80s, so that 300k is gravy
>>
>>94535353
that's still a lot of money for doing literally nothing
>>
>>94535310
Goddamn, you are right. Before Morrison, the visible mutations was something that Inhumans were known for, while mutants usually had some minor change (like eyes, or color of the hair), and a useful power indeed.
>>
>>94535134
The point is that nothing you listed is unique to the two works in general and are found in a variety of cultural sources so calling two works copycats for sharing several traits in common is pretty pointless. I'd actually argue that Natural Born Killers has more in common with The Invisibles than The Matrix, albeit in a deeply cynical and mundane manner. At the end of the day The Invisibles and The Matrix are both fictionalized narratives of Plato's Cave mixed with Nietzschian philosophy, everything else is a coat of paint.
>>
>>94535310
>The few that suffered from being ugly were the Morlocks
>Beast, Angel, Pixie, Nightcrawler, Warlock, Wolfsbane, Mystique, Toad, Blob, Shadow King
And you're kind of proving your own point here. Morrison took it in the direction so that Xavier making it an openly mutant school would prevent a group like the Morlocks from existing, they wouldn't need to hide or become villains to survive. It's a logical step in the X-Men canon
>>
>>94535353
>>94535384
>>94535422
Let's not forget it's 300k pounds, which is like 400k dollars
>>
>>94535553
I would agree, except for the fact that Sens8 has every element of the Invisibles they didn't use in the Matrix
>>
>>94535263
really makes you think
>>
>>94535553
>Two things share 9 or 10 similarities

>Those 9 or 10 things are also found, individually, in 9 or 10 different works

>There's no comparison

You sound stupid. I'm not saying Invisibles doesn't have references or things it steals from, like above, where I pointed out that King Mob is just Jerry Cornelius crossed with The Metabaron. I'm saying that Matrix and Invisibles have a lot in common, and comparing them makes perfect sense. You think Natural Born Killers has more in common with The Invisibles than The Matrix does because what? They're both cynical? They're both about people shooting things in Lennon spectacles? The Matrix is, beat-for-beat, a parallel to The Invisibles until the sequels.

Or do you not see story or character, just themes and "coats of paint" connecting themes. Sounds reductionist and silly to me.
>>
>>94535217
Are you saying that Morrison works in a complete cultural vacuum? You think at some point he never read Phillip K. Dick? For fuck's sake the man himself credits Len Wein for almost exclusively developing his thoughts on comic books.

>>94535237
New X-Men under them started three months after Morrison left X-Men.
>>
>>94535263
Are you laughing at yourself?
>>
>>94535554
Instead they would have a big target on their backs, with "hey look, I'm here! in that school. officially". And obviously, many times random assholes, including Purifiers did attack the school. Very clever.

Later we had Sentinels protecting the school, so at least something funny came out of it.
>>
>>94535554
>beast

Self inflicted

>angel

Rare case. Also, outside of his wings it is canon that he is exceptionally beautiful. So mutation gives and mutation takes

>pixie

post-Morrison

>nightcrawler

Rare case

>warlock

an alien

>wolfsbane

Under control, similar to Colossus

>mystique

rare case

>toad, blob

Both are just ugly

>Shadow King

Was normal until Xavier fucked him up and left him for dead

That's 3 cases, with one being born over 100 years ago and another being related to that one.
>>
>>94535681
>Toad and Blob
>Both are just ugly
Oh fuck off their appearances are directly tied to their mutations. Blob is a one ton fucking monster of a man
>>
>>94535681
Nightcrawler could teleport, though.
How cool is that?

And Mystique never grows old and change into whatever she/he wants (there was a theory that she was born a man, alas, it was never followed)

And let's keep in mind that Morlocks at first looked normal. Trashy, but normal. Later in the 90s they got deformed, but due to one mutant, who had a capability to morph flesh, not because they were born deformed.
>>
wasn't that comic he was going to do with vanessa del rey but never came out picked up
>>
>>94535725
Blob is fat, but his mutant power gives him special protection. Toad is toad..
>>
File: toad[1].gif (40KB, 227x397px) Image search: [Google]
toad[1].gif
40KB, 227x397px
>>94535725
>>
>>94535820
he looks like an average /co/mrade
>>
>>94526489
I swear we better get a decent Wanted adaptation this time.
>>
>>94535795
Well no. It was originally going to be a movie.
>>
>>94535554
The Morlocks also would intentionally deform members through Masque. The real problem is Mutant Town, which created a dichotomy between the exposed and impoverished normal mutants and the protected and privileged X-Men.

>>94535631
Five similarities were pointed out, two of which are covered by a memoir and one of which is incredibly common in other works.

And I'm saying that Natural Born Killers mirrors The Invisibles more closely in its metaphor of the cave using pop culture and the media.
>>
>>94526489
Moorefags. Look at them all. Must be a lot of edgy 12 year olds here today.
>>
>>94532332
Reminder that Moore is hypocritical and irrelevant shit.

Only Gibbons matters.
>>
>>94536021
>Plato's Cave, but about the media

Yeah, there's a theme that's not shared by literally every "postmodern" piece of art. Bet you think Banksy's the voice of a generation and all.
>>
>>94536176
>Higgins STILL not getting the credit he deserves
>>
File: 1472053321074.png (720KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1472053321074.png
720KB, 900x900px
>>94526489
>hypercisis
Zack Snyder
ZS
52=ZS=Ʊ=upside down Ω
"They will race behind you.."
>DCEU Justice Leagues has reversed DCAU eye color
>Doctor Manhattan is Flash's father HIS SPEED FORCE IS BLUE
>Wonder Woman a golem made of clay played by jewess (golem is jew's invention)

Nigger, it is literally happening.
And more important, unlike reddit Kingsman and Moore shit normies don't even know about it. High Chaos Magick.
>>
>>94526489
>netflix not being smart enough to create a website where they show content online and have ads, thus increasing their revenue and their audience.
>>
>>94534246
Sorry, I had no idea Ocean's Eleven didn't come before Millar's "with powers" cashgrabs.

Amazing.
>>
>>94526735
based timm and dini so faithful that even moore didn't do his usual salt/ask his name to be taken off the credits

We didn't deserve the dcau
>>
>>94536419
Right, right...
>>
>>94536464
>What is adblocker

Why would you create an independent, consumer-based streaming system, then give priority to advertising corporations? Sounds like the same dumbass American bullshit they're trying to do to the internet.
>>
The fact that there are some people out there with so much venom towards Morrison that they are celebrating a cynical hack like Millar over him (and I say this acknowledging Millar has written some good stuff, but he is the literal definition of a hack writer) is just kinda pathetic.
>>
>>94537007
Morrison is on par with and possibly exceeds Trump in terms of being a narcissistic shit-talking lunatic, so it's quite a bit more pathetic that there is anyone willing to defend him in any way or even read his garbage work.
>>
>>94537044
this is an excellent bait post, gonna use this later
>>
>>94537044
Why would you do that? Just go into a discussion and post something silly so people will get angry at you? Does it make you feel good?

If so, you should get better at it. Write things that could be true, so people will hate you for pointing it out, not things that are so silly they just make you look like a troll.
>>
>>94537044
Jesus christ get off the internet Alan.
>>
>>94526735
>I... dont think youre real

Im not crying, youre crying
>>
>>94533818
Let me give a quick greentext on what happened with the X-men

>Post crash X-men lacks both quality and sales
>Marvel hires Morrison to revitalize the franchise
>Morrison does exactly what he is asked of but editorial throws a shitfit at every step and the whole thing becomes an internal tug of war
>Morrison is thoroughly pissed, finishes his run and vows to never return
>As soon as he leaves the remaining X-Men writers either pretend he never happened or work just to retcon everything Morrison did and quesadilla pulls decimation.

Say what you want about his run, but don't pretend the company didn't spazz out when they saw that Morrison was actually implementing the radical changes they asked him to implement.

>>94533906
Bendis didn't factor in the x-men until the 10s. Back then he was doing Ultimate universe.
>>
>>94538842
Morrison is a hack and Austen's run is better
>>
>>94536464
>Implying the lack of ads isn't a huge part of the appeal of Netflix
>>
>>94538842
Except he wrote House of M
>>
>>94539042
Not fooling anyone.
>>
>>94533818
>>94533842
Reality check: Something like Decimation was gonna happen even if Morrison never wrote the X-Men. I'm not even gonna blame Bendis for destroying mutants anymore. I'm gonna blame Bendis for House of M being kinda bad, but the reality is Marvel would've tried to avoid making more new mutant characters anyway or tried to destroy them. Look at what happened with the Inhumans/X-Men shit that's happened in the last five years. That's all due to Fox having the rights to Marvel's mutants and Ike being unable to stand it. And that animosity started as far back as the Mutant X shitstorm.

Blaming Morrison for New X-Men's quality is one thing but blaming him for Decimation is borderline retarded.
>>
>>94539078
Huh, didn't notice that when i read it.

Let me rephrase: Bendis didn't factor as a creative force in the X-Men until the 10s.

He didn't call the shots on what happened, he just wrote House of M. All the changes the event brought were quesadilla's / marvel editorial idea.
>>
>>94535422
It is.

>>94535353
Well, the way the £ and $ have been going lately, he's going to want paying in euros soon.

>>94535384
It's certainly a comfortable annual salary, millionaire or not. However to maintain it, long term, he'd have to invest a considerable chunk towards slack periods and retirement, plus he has presumably higher than normal costs to do with travel and so on.
Thread posts: 240
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.