[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Killing seems to be a sort of taboo in comics. Most mainstream

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: endahrasa3dxot980mjf[1].png (229KB, 470x264px) Image search: [Google]
endahrasa3dxot980mjf[1].png
229KB, 470x264px
Killing seems to be a sort of taboo in comics. Most mainstream characters have some sort of rule against killing or just don't normally do it,
and characters that kill are labeled as niche "anti-hero" characters. In other literature and media, even the most heroic characters often kill their enemies and it
is viewed almost always as completely justifiable and fine.

What do you think? Do you enjoy characters that don't kill more? If so, why?
>>
>>94524442
It is so they don't kill the villain cash cows so the companies can make money.
>>
>>94524442

We already had this thread earlier today. It's probably even still in the 4chan archive, not in the actual backup DESU archive.

It's also a thread topic that comes up regularly and it's not really that interesting.
>>
>>94524506

Oh gee whiz, I wasn't aware that my thread doesn't amuse you personally. Surely otherwise I would have not made this thread as not to upset you. I am so glad you found the time to post in this thread to let me know that you do not find this interesting. Do you have an email/phone number so I can make sure my further actions do not displease your highness?
>>
>>94524506
Thanks for telling OP what he can and can't discuss. Mr. Thread Police. Maybe you should become a mod so we can stop wiping our asses with your opinion.
>>
Here's how I view killing in terms of the DC Trinity:
Batman will never kill to the point of unhealthy obsession. There was a line by Animal Man in today's issue of Injustice, it was something like: "To Bruce, the importance of the one life in front of him will always override the greater good." And that's pretty much true of most incarnations of Batman, Al-Fliqi being a recent outlier. He should just fucking kill Joker and do the time for it like in that Injustice "what if" issue.
Superman, on the other hand, is willing to kill. But only in extraordinary circumstances. He's not going to kill Lex Luthor because as much as this metaphor might bother Clark, it'd be like an incredibly intelligent ant being crushed by a boot. Superman has about a million different options for non-lethal engagement 99% of the time when he's operating. Then there's that 1% HOLY SHIT WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE event that occasionally comes along and requires Superman to punch something really, really hard, and possibly put it down for good. Doomsday is an obvious example of this, with Superman being the only superhero that doesn't get steamrolled by the fucker, and they end up putting each other in the ground (for a while) with their dying blows. But again, Superman is an idealist, and absolutely abhors the idea of killing. There are just certain beings in this universe that only he can deal with.
Wonder Woman is the most willing of the Trinity to kill, and that statement is probably going to trigger some Wondie fans on /co/. Diana also fucking hates killing, and values peace above all else. But unlike Clark and Bruce, Diana is a bit more of a realist. If you present her with a Gordian Knot, she's going to cut the fucking knot. She has less tactical options than Superman in terms of her powerset (though Lasso of Truth is such a fucking good non-lethal option it covers most situations), so sometimes she has to use the tools she has.
>>
>>94524442
>In other literature and media, even the most heroic characters often kill

this is why comics will never ACTUALLY "grow up", because of the stubborn attachment that writers have to the Silver Age "no kill rule"

Ennis said it best about how characters can't "show moral courage" if they aren't allowed to make complex decisions that relate to real life
>>
>>94524998
Ennis also made a comic book about a guy fucking a dolphin. So I take his opinion with a bit of salt.
>>
>>94524442
i am not against killing
provided they had used up all other options and there is a clear and present danger
real life SWAT teams dont shoot even an armed man unless their weapon is raised

i do however think that a hero should never kill as a matter of first resort, second, or third resort, and be own up to all possible consequences, you made the decision to be his judge, jury, and executioner so dont be surprised when people do that to you

if a hero kills a villain because the villain jumped him, and he had seconds to decide, but stays professional about it, than thats fine

but if a hero starts claiming moral superiorty because he kills, than he can be just as annoying, if not more so, than those who claim moral superiority from not killing
>>
>>94524442
Superman does kill his enemies when he needs to. Usually. He executed Zod, Non, and Faora, beat Doomsday to death, killed Darkseid, attempted to kill Brainiac many times, etc.
>>
>>94524506
>stop discussing things I don't want to discuss!
>>
>>94525064

My problem is that whenever theres a character that kills, the writers seem to have a need to gloss over it. I wish more superheroes acted like police and SWAT teams, they would primarily search for nonlethal action, unless they need to kill. I hate how most characters that kill are so 3dgy and dark.
>>
>>94525062
Crossed: Wish your were here isn't by Ennis and is actually a legitimate work of art.
>>
File: 1502005970172.jpg (137KB, 736x1105px) Image search: [Google]
1502005970172.jpg
137KB, 736x1105px
>>94525089
>Faora
why?
>>
>>94525089
He also killed red sun guy in allstars yeah, sorry. Forgot the name
And not like in the heat of the battle, but executioner style, when he was lying, broken before him.
>>
>>94526152
I think all the Silver Age character fans turned writers flip out, when another writer makes their heroes kill, so they retcon it away as soon as possible
>>
cause superheroes are ostensibly for kids and you don't want kids growing up thinking they have the right to kill "bad people" just because their favorite hero Batman does
>>
>>94528205

Silver age killed comics
>>
>>94524442
you run out of stories fucking quick if you kill off your villains
>>
>>94531041

Well, not necessarily. If the villain is formidable he might always manage to get away. Plus it might be good because villains couldn't be used so often and they wouldn't grow stale or bloat (what happened to joker.)
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.