[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a specific reason that cartoons with plots or journeys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Is there a specific reason that cartoons with plots or journeys that progress every episode stopped being popular?
>>
>>94519296
They were never popular. They were always a rarity that showrunners either had to fight tooth and nail to get approved or otherwise pitched the idea during some right time, right place phase and got lucky enough to get it made.

For every Avatar, we've always had 30 Camp Lazlos and Spongebobs to counter it.
>>
>>94519374
This is generally true on CN and Nick but on Kids CW and Fox kids you would have it commonly. Besides anime like Pokemon and Digimon which were very popular you had stuff like Xiaolin showdown and TMNT which had some level of progression per episode.
>>
>>94519374

This. Networks disliked episodes shows in general for decades because they preferred the idea of a status quo such that they can air the episodes in any order they chose in endless reruns. You can tune into any given episode of The Simpsons or The Drew Carey Show, and it won't matter which one is on because nothing ever progresses.

LOST and shows like it proved that status quo isn't god anymore. That's when shows that people had been trying to get made for years suddenly had an excuse to get put on TV, because 'LOST proves people are willing to watch every week if they care about what happens next'. Which should have been obvious, but whatever. It was such a smash hit everyone wanted to copy it.

Lost aired in 2004. Avatar started in 2005. This is not a coincidence.
>>
>>94519440
I think you mean KidsWB (Unless you're not from America and those shows aired elsewhere). Warner Brothers as a whole was a different beast because they actually had some early success with their DC cartoons that proved to be profitable, so they weren't afraid of action or serialized shows, either.

The FoxBox I don't remember having much serialized shows that weren't acquired anime.
>>
>>94519476
Avatar was also meant to capitalize on the Harry Potter craze, if I remember. It's also why Nickelodeon tried to do the Unfortunate Events movie around the same time.
>>
>>94519296
Harder to put into syndication.
>>
>>94520474
Why does that matter in the day and age of netflix and Amazon?
>>
>>94520684
because networks producing shows need things on the air 24/7

if only Netflix and Amazon were the main source of cartoons then maybe it would change, but they are not the primary producers right now
>>
>>94520684
Because Cable TV networks don't WANT those services to matter. They're eating up too much of their business already.

Making an episodic, continuity heavy series is just shooting themselves in the foot for that very reason: people will just watch it on Netflix rather than live, and they get more money from live viewings.
>>
>>94519440
Xiaolin showdown was fucking stupid.
>>
>>94520684
The funny thing is that the people at the top still have not adapted to the new order of things, in a few years shows will be made more story focused with each season being a story that can be continued at the end of the season so if they keep getting people watching them they will keep making them, shows that are made to be shown in any order will die out as people will often only watch a show once if they can watch them in order at there convenience.

What worries me is the lack of adds on streaming services, I am not sure what to make of that or how it will affect what we see produced.
>>
How western animation died is simply from money. Why do you think its mostly 15 min long, poorly written, poorly drawn shit? Because its cheaper to make and turns a bigger profit.
>>
They'll almost always action, and action costs money.
>>
>>94520781
>with each season being a story that can be continued at the end of the season
That's actually how Breaking Bad works. Each story was self-contained within its own little season. If the show ever wanted to end at a point, almost any season finale would've been a good place to stop, but there were enough open-ended questions in case they got renewed. I wondered why more shows in general, live action included, didn't operate like that.
>>
>>94520725
That is changing thankfully. I wonder what CN and Nick will do.
>>
>>94520781
This is the interesting thing to me. I don't own a TV and use adblock. I don't know when huge normalfag movies, TV shows or games come out because I don't watch ads.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.