[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's discuss Sanic, /co/. Discuss any /co/-related version

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: archiesonic.jpg (466KB, 750x502px) Image search: [Google]
archiesonic.jpg
466KB, 750x502px
Let's discuss Sanic, /co/.

Discuss any /co/-related version of Sonic, be it cartoons like SatAm/AoStH or comics like the Archie or Fleetway series or the upcoming IDW run.

Opening questions:

What's your favorite Sonic comic story? Single issue or story arc?

Who is your favorite supporting character? What about villain?

Don't respond to trolls and keep furfaggotry in the >>/trash/
>>
File: Comic_Sonic_Tails_Feet.jpg (310KB, 654x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Comic_Sonic_Tails_Feet.jpg
310KB, 654x1024px
>>
Obligatory Ken Penders post.
>>
The original SatAM and Archie comics were my first brush with existential horror.

I felt scared that there may have been maybe thirty real people left in the world and everyone else was trapped in a metal straitjacket forever.
>>
>>94467038
Weren't they sleeping? Who is talking about a wake up call?
>>
>>94467646
N-no, anon.
Tails is saying that an earthquake is a distressing way to be woken up.
>>
>>94467627

it's a pretty freaky idea even if they obviously could never explore it fully
>>
Why all these Sonic threads lately?
>>
>>94468254
New Sonic game coming out
IDW got the rights to Sanic comics
Sonic Boom still funny.
>>
How would you react if IDW adapted the games in chronological order? A more fleshed out complete version of Sonic X sans Chris.
>>
>>94469044
That'd be my favourite way to do it, to be honest. Maybe as a separate series of minis though, with a current series in the present.
>>
>>94469044
No.

That shit's been mediocre at best every time. Comics like these are playgrounds for new interactions, not retreads.
>>
>>94469137
Did you seriously want to read a comic adaptation of Sonic 1 for the fifth time?
>>
>>94469197
Not that much, but if it'll get us comics adaptations of CD, 3 and Knuckles, Mania, R, etc, sure.
>>
>>94469044

Game adaptions are sort of fundamentally unsatisfactory as stories.

Consider this: If you liked the game in question then you probably either already played it or you intend to play it when you see there's an adaption. An adaption will never ever capture YOUR personal experience with the game. It might feature a few things you liked from it, but there's just no way to recapture the experience of the game in a comic.

If you on the other hand disliked the game or was apathetic to it, then you are stuck with a comic series which in your view is just wasting a bunch of pages on something you don't care about.

This is further compounded by the fact that this is Sonic we're talking about. Only less than half of all Sonic games are any good and thus have any fans who might enjoy seeing an adaption of them. And of those, the most popular tend to be the ones with the least amount of story and cutscenes.

All I'm saying here is that instead of "adapting" a game into a meaningful and enjoyable storyline in a comic book, you could spend less time and effort coming up with an original story, and it would almost invariably be better for everyone, regardless of where they stand on the games.

Now of course this is all down to Sega, and most likely Sega will want IDW to go the game adaption route, but overall that's exactly the kind of licensed comic that IDW DOESN'T make, so I hope it isn't the case and they can negotiate to do original storylines without the shackles that Sega threw on Archie.
>>
>>94469278
We already have two CD adaptations and got cut shy of two for 3K as well.

What's the point? There's barely any story there and you already know what it is. Why spend literal YEARS producing adaptations to games you've already played or could watch in less than two hours online? A few little one-and-domes of pieces of those games' stories can be cute occasionally, but full blown adaptations? SERIOUSLY?
>>
>>94469417
>less time and effort
Opposite, actually. They have to actually come up with things like structure and themes and pivotal moments instead of just referencing them.

Now, game adaptations CAN work for comics, but that's mostly reserved for games with natural gameplay/story abstraction (F-Zero, for example), passion projects based on your personal experience or interpretation (ABT's Zelda comic is a good example), or straight up rewrites of flawed games (the Starfox Adventures fancomic currently popping arou d the web...although that one's not terribly good). Straight adaptations for games with already easily understood stories, not so much.
>>
>>94469593
>They have to actually come up with things like structure and themes and pivotal moments instead of just referencing them.

The only Sonic games that have any of that are the truly shit ones like Sonic 06 or Shadow the Hedgehog. Everything else you have to build from the ground up, especially the popular games like STH 1-3, CD and Adventure.
>>
>>94469641
>Sonic Adventure does not have structure, themes or pivotal moments.

...nigga you serious?
I mean, it's conveyed POORLY, but it's all there.
>>
>>94466964
>What's your favorite Sonic comic story?
Mecha Sally, I'll never get over the series getting rebooted before the story ended.
>Single issue or story arc?
The issue where Shadow steals Snively's last remaining hairs, and Snively comes after him in a giant robotic lobster to retrieve them.
>Who is your favorite supporting character?
Sally. She didn't have much in the way of good stories outside of the Mecha Sally arc, but she was my favorite character since the SatAM cartoon. Penders wrote her generic, Flynn wrote her bland, I remember a decent story or two out of Rio though.
>What about villain?
Thunderbolt. Pretty much every panel with her was great. She was even better if Eggman/Robotnic was around.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.