[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else find it funny how DC became EXTREMELY reluctant to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6

File: riri.jpg (155KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
riri.jpg
155KB, 970x545px
Anyone else find it funny how DC became EXTREMELY reluctant to pass on the mantle or title to other people while in recent years, Marvel passes out mantles like fucking candy?

DC:
>Flash gets passed onto Wally West, but Barry comes back and takes it again
>Batman gets passed onto Dick Grayson but Bruce comes back and takes it again
>Nobody truly got passed the Superman or Wonder Woman mantle ever.
>Blue Beetle is like the only one that's gotten the mantle passed, technically.

Marvel:
>Thor gets passed onto a woman
>Captain Marvel gets passed onto Carol Danvers and Ms.Marvel gets passed onto Kamala
>Wolverine gets passed onto X-23
>Hulk gets passed onto Cho
>Ironman gets passed onto Doctor Doom and Riri
>Captain America gets passed onto Falcon
>Spiderman is inevitably gonna get passed onto Miles Morale
>Robbie Reyes becomes Ghost Rider

Whew lad. I legitimately think that Marvel would have someone else be Mister Fantastic at this point if it weren't for those movie rights.
>>
How about make some new heros and don't "pass on mantles"
>>
>>94452302
doze.bmp
>>
>>94452313
to be fair, Marvel did try with garbage like Mosaic
>>
>>94452302
They go back because fans often don't like change. Not that change is always a good thing, but it's not terrible to try once in a while. At least DC lets those other characters thrive on in other series and let the originals keep doing their thing. Marvel outright removes or kills them to pass on the torch.
>>
>>94452302

Miles needs a-lot of years to do that and handful of good writers. Peterfags will hate this and probably boycott marvel.
>>
>>94452302
Not a fucking chance.
>>
>>94452313
That's what DC is doing now. Look at Shade, New Super-Man, Power Girl.

>>94452302
I don't find it funny, I think it's a good idea. Mantle passing just makes the original character's fans unhappy, whereas keeping them both around lets both characters develop better.
>>
Venom with flash
>>
>Blue Beetle is like the only one that's gotten the mantle passed, technically.
Ted Kord killed himself
>>
>>94452516
That is only one that i wish it was permanent.
>>
>>94452551
Ted Kord isn't dead
>>
> Flash

Can this really be included?

Wally had the mantle for years and years.
>>
>>94452591
Hell, he still HAS the mantle
>>
File: blue_beetle_ted_kord_death[1].jpg (50KB, 450x379px) Image search: [Google]
blue_beetle_ted_kord_death[1].jpg
50KB, 450x379px
>>94452590
Is this a meme? He was murdered.
>>
>>94452590
Oops, meant to reply to >>94452551
>>
>>94452601
if it didn't stick it doesn't count
>>
>>94452601
Someone hasn't been reading Blue Beetle Rebirth
>>
>>94452601
Yes, him committing suicide is a meme. He's also back alive in Rebirth.
>>
>>94452613
No, sorry, this is the second time I've seen someone say Ted Killed himself when he was clearly murdered. See >>94452610

You too >>94452629

Also, what do you think of his Rebirth so far? At first it was pretty boring, but since Fate was introduced it caught my interest again.
>>
>>94452643
It's been interesting for sure. Though the massive changes to the origin of the scarab was a strange choice to make, in my eyes
>>
>>94452643
Yep, him killing himself is a meme.
>>
>>94452302
Just like us they can see what a total shitfest Marvel is, and only recently they managed to pull themselves out of the shitter with Rebirth.

>I legitimately think that Marvel would have someone else be Mister Fantastic at this point if it weren't for those movie rights.

Doesn't Kamala do that? I saw panels of her stretching and changing her size and stuff.
>>
>>94452313
>Make new superheros
They are new superheros just with the name passed down. It's not like they didn't try to make totally new heroes it's just that you guys didn't buy their comics or you called them race baiting/feminist shit. (which to be fair most of them were).
>>94452359
Mosaic is like one of the few who were simply new heroes that didn't contain race baits in his comic.
>>
>>94452425
Well OMD already crippled their sales. Don't know what else could be done cept blow out what's left of the Spider-Man base.
>>
>>94452601
>>94452687
t.booster gold
>>
>>94452302
I wanted to know this from /co/. Which super hero needs to retired?
>>
There's an ebb and flow to this. Sometimes they try a legacy. Hal and Barry are legacies to begin with. Mr Terrific is a legacy, so is stargirl, and neither are reverting anytime soon.

Marvel has gone nuts with the diversity legacy push, but you can be sure that almost all of that will be reverted, with the possible exception of Captain Marvel. Ghost Rider is by nature a rotating position, so you'd expect it to switch around again anyways.
>>
>>94452302
Memes aside, will this kill Marvel?
>>
>>94452902
They tried it in the Ultimate universe. It will only kill the bendis instead.
>>
>>94452736
>Mosaic is like one of the few who were simply new heroes that didn't contain race baits in his comic.
Race baiting in comics isn't real having a discussion on race in comics isn't race baiting, I'm sorry if that hurts your conversative feelings.
>>
>>94452925
Ultimate universe is vastly different from 616 tho and people stopped giving a shit post ultimatum, so if they do kill Pete and make Miles the regular Spider-man maybe even get him to marry MJ because why the fuck not would it kill Marvel
>>
>>94452776
I'm okay with Wolverine staying dead.
>>
>>94452932
LEL
You just called the wrong person a conservative. I'm also not white to add to the race thing.
What I'm saying is advertising a character as "LE BASED BLACK SUPERHERO" or "STRONK WOMAN" is baiting. Just be a superhero, don't be a BLACK superhero. Miles Morales does it right by saying "I don't want to be Black Spider-Man. I wanna be Spider-man". Besides most of the time when race is brought it up it's a one sided talk pushed by regressive leftist because Marvel thinks that's how all the cool kids think now adays.
>>
>>94452939
Not really.
>>
>>94453002
>regressive leftist
You don't know what that phrase means, do you?
>>
>>94452932
Hey retard, a conversation, by definition has a two contributors to it. How, IN THE FUCK, is painting tits on a male character, or making pale flesh brown, any kind of fucking conversation starter, unless that conversation is "Marvel hates white people to the point we should no longer support anything they do"?
>>
>>94453940
(I'm an idiot who typed conversation instead of discussion, but the principle is the same)
>>
>>94453972
You also fell for pure shitposting bait, but that's neither here nor there.

Shitposting bait is ALSO not race baiting, but it's easy how someone could confuse the two.
>>
>>94452555
>>94452516
>Spider-man with guns
>Better than Venom
>>
>>94452665
really wasn't. Didio and Johns were always pushing for a magic origin as seen in Countdown to IC. Rogers just had a better idea with the Reach
>>
>>94452302
>legitimately think that Marvel would have someone else be Mister Fantastic at this point if it weren't for those movie rights.
There is a black child version of Mr. Fantastic in Spider-Gwen's universe. He even has that triangle haircut from the 80's.
>>
>>94452313
Why?
>>
>>94452359
>>94452736
Mosiac was also TERRIBLY executed. Why the fuck would you do a big, more expensive issue for his debut? People don't want to have to pay more money just to see if it's worth even looking at.
>>
>>94452313
A. No writer has any financial incentive to do so, quite the opposite really.
B.No one's gonna read it. Consider the failure DC had pushing their lesser known characters, what makes you think they're gonna try with a character from scratch?

New stuff in cape comics died in the 90s.
>>
>>94452313

The best time to make a "new" hero was 20 years ago. The second best time is now, but the Big Two aren't much for gambling on wholly new properties.
>>
>>94452302
DC did this in the 80s and 90s.

They killed off Barry, Ted, Hal. Superman (only for a year), Batman (only for a year, knightfall), Mr. Terrific, Green Arrow, The Atom, The Question
>>
>>94453598
A liberal who wants to segregate people by race and gender and go back to an era where things get achieved through violence and change and technology doesn't happen as to not threaten the new status quo
Also the class system is reversed to a ruling political class and everyone else
>>
>>94452302
>Anyone else find it funny how DC became EXTREMELY reluctant to pass on the mantle or title to other people
>>
>>94454747
Isn't he also an Inhuman?
>>
Why does everyone always forget that in the 90's, the whole Trinity got legacy'd?

Batman became Azrael, Superman became four people, and Wonder Woman became Artemis. Not that any of it was permanent, but still.
>>
>>94452302
not so much reluctance, but more that Marvel has decided they could have multiple characters under the same title. this began with Spider-Man and now has extended to their major roster.

and you know there's nothing wrong with legacy, but there's doing it right and doing it wrong.

right way: cho, kamala, x-23. miles in ultimates was good too, but his coming into the role is entirely invalidated thanks to secret wars.
wrong way: jane-thor, dr. doom, riri
>>
>>94452601
Kinda feel weird to look at that panel after reading Formely Known as The Justice League
>>
>>94455876

>right way: cho, kamala, x-23

I don't know enough about Kamala to comment, but Cho and Laura were their own characters. Reducing them to literal derivatives doesn't make them more interesting or engaging.
>>
>>94452302
there's a reason Marvel is hugely successful and DC probably won't make it to the end of the year
>>
>>94452302
Why only mention Carol Danvers when there have been like half a dozen Captain Marvels.
>>
>>94452359
Mosaic is about the only decent nuhuman character, I wouldn't mind that he and Kamala and Moon Girl ended up being the only permanent aditions to the Marvel universe when things return to normal.

Because you know they HAVE to pull a Rebirth move at some point
>>
>>94452425
Peterfag here. That's exactly what I'd do and what I'm already doing. Being a spiderfag, especially a Peterfag, is pain. It doesn't help that my next favorite Spider-character is Kaine and he got shit on in Clone Conspiracy.
>>
>>94452302
DC found out people want their superheroes to have kids and have mined that vein in order to avoid the over used passing of mantles that Marvel has saturated the market with. If everything goes back to status quo at Marvel for a while, I wouldn't be surprised if they start fucking with mantles again.

Marvel is all kinds of fucked up. Shit tier authors don't have any editors worth a damn stopping them from fucking up titles with their shitty OCs and waifus and everyone is too addicted to #1s and events to do anything about it.
>>
>>94454837
uh... Dark Matter dude.
>>
>>94452302
>>Nobody truly got passed the Superman or Wonder Woman mantle ever.
I mean, except for the time there were four supermen, or when they split superman into two guys, or that time superman got replaced by his dimensional counterpart, but yeah
>>
When a character at DC inherits a mantle, they get put through the ringer to prove they earned it. At Marvel, it becomes a chick flick.
>>
>>94452302

DC has been doing legacy characters better than Marvel for decades. They usually pass the mantle temporarily and then have it go back to the original hero. Sometimes it sticks, like with Blue Beetle.
>>
>>94452313
DC is doing that with the Dark Matter imprint.

Wether they will sell is another story.
>>
>>94455876

I strongly disagree that X-23 becoming Wolverine was a good idea. Most of her life has been spent trying to not just be Wolverine's clone, something Wolverine himself encouraged. It regresses her character arc instead of developing it. Then again, Laura has had her characterization reset like half a dozen times already, so I guess it's not too surprising they went this route.
>>
>>94455810
But all of that was planned to be non-permanent. You can't say the same about Marvel's creations.
>>
>>94457672
I suspect if they had caught on, it might actually have been permanent like Hal and Barry.

I mean the authors can TRY to make shit stick. Spencer and co killed Cap, made him a geezer and then made him a literal Nazi, and gave Falcon's name to some illegal immigrant all in recent memory.

Bendis killed off Peter Parker, and then when that didn't work, actually multiple peter parkers come back and tell Miles that he was the Real spiderman.

>Thor
>Logan
>Banner
>Tony
>Steve
All these guys are absolutely coming back.

It wouldn't suprise me if they made Kamala Captain Marvel though.
>>
>>94459213
>It wouldn't suprise me if they made Kamala Captain Marvel though.
Maybe in the far future when superhero movies stop being reelevant, otherwise there's no way they're sitting Carol in the bench for the time being.
Maybe in an elseworlds story.
>>
File: CorgiDeer.jpg (52KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
CorgiDeer.jpg
52KB, 400x600px
>>94452302
Wally is still Flash. There's two Wally Wests. Black Wally is Kid Flash, adult Wally came back in Rebirth and was told by Barry that he was Flash as well.

There's been several Robins & while there's only really been one Batman, Damien is going to be the next Bats. Plus there's Batman Inc where he trained a lot of Batmans worldwide.

There's actually been multiple Supermen. Superman 52 wasn't same Supes in Rebirth. 52 Supes died & his powers were passed to some Chinese dude. Then you have Lex that's around with Power Armor, calling himself Superman.

Wonder Woman never had a mantle.

BB is in same position as Flash. There's now Ted BB & Jaime BB.

Then you have the Green Lanterns. There's been multiple GLs. Yet there's also been just one GL.
>>
>>94452313
They no longer know how to generate new content. They've been resting on the laurels for so long the established talent doesn't care and the new talent is unable. The industry is completely stagnated.
>>
>>94459423
All it would take is a carol movie bomb I think,
>>
>>94461084
Good fucking luck with that.
>>
>>94459541
>Wally is still Flash
Barry is still THE Flash though. Wally is "Flash" but he is still delegated to Teen Titans, and is generally on the sidelines.
>Damien is going to be the next Bats.
No he won't. He is either going to die again, or take on another mantle. Bruce will stay Batman.
>There's actually been multiple Supermen. Superman 52 wasn't same Supes in Rebirth.
New 52 Supes wasn't a legacy, he was The Superman until it was retconned.
>Chinese dude
Who is just chinese knock-off Superman in and out of universe and will never be on the same level as the real one.
>Then you have Lex that's around with Power Armor, calling himself Superman.
He is still Lex Luthor first and foremost though, and also isn't a replacement as the real Superman is still around.
And Green Lanterns are more like a team than a mantle, since all the past ones are still around.
>>
>>94454984

Question and Atom were in the mid to late 00s anon if you're talking about Montoya and Choi.
>>
>>94459541

Damian will either die or evolve into another identity. That's how the Robin legacy goes. You become one then quit, then do your own thing (Nightwing, dead for a bit until Red Hood, Red Robin).It's gonna happen to Damian as well.
>>
>>94456873

The problem with DC's legacy is that they go back to the "iconic" well. Why Barry and Barbara are the top centers while Wally, Cassandra, and Stephanie get pushed to the team comics.

But on the bright side could be worse, they could have ended up like Bart, Cassie, or Kon.
>>
>>94452302
>Dr Doom

WHAT
>>
>>94452491
Power Girl has been around since the 70s and Shade actually has passed the mantle is the thing
>>
>>94452302
>Black people taking what white people make and doing so while looking like some arrogant prick full of yourself

This surely proves black people are good as white people.
>>
>>94455876
>cho, kamala, x-23. miles in ultimates was good too

Laura and Cho were fine. They were their own characters and didn't need slapped with new names. I wouldn't call the others good but heeeeey I never understood the obsession with Kamala and her fanfictions.
>>
>>94462560
Problem there is that Damian is too young whereas all of the previous Robins took the mantle in their teens and only held on to it for a few years before going independent. Damian is 10 and Bruce is in his late 30s, early 40s, you'd have to radically change the dynamics by the time Damian is old enough to strike it on his own.
>>
>>94459213
>Kamala as Captain Marvel
If it means getting rid of nu-Carol, then I'd love that. Carol as Captain Marvel has been the most dull fucking thing in her history. It's amazing how awesome she was as Ms. Marvel and how unlikable she is as Captain Marvel.
>>
>>94455984
It can be argued that Cho was also already a legacy to Hercules, so he just switched out one low profile legacy for another high profile one.
>>
>>94464265
Carol was never likable as a character or person.
>>
>>94453598
Good argument buddy :^D
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.