[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

was Calvin and Hobbes for kids? I remember being introduced to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1501445497442.jpg (53KB, 616x194px) Image search: [Google]
1501445497442.jpg
53KB, 616x194px
was Calvin and Hobbes for kids? I remember being introduced to it back in 3rd or 4th grade, I didn't get the jokes until around high school.
>>
>>94443211
I don't know that Calvin and Hobbes can be said to be "for" anyone except Bill Waterson. I know that it was read and enjoyed by lots of people of all ages and degrees of comprehension, kids included, even if they perhaps didn't fully understand it.
>>
I was like 10 or 11 when I first got Weirdos From Another Planet. I got it purely on the strength of the cover artwork, and on that front it never disappointed. Even if you didn't get the jokes, the artwork was fantastic, especially in the strips when Watterson drew alien planets and monsters.

That said, I just found the humor challenging in a good way. I learned so many words because I looked them up after reading them in C&H.
>>
>>94445246
This. I actually learned who Karl Marx was and the difference between port and starboard through C&H.
>>
the original run/manga of Chibi Marukochan is basically the Japanese version of Calvin and hobbes, except less of a circlejerk (Maruko is a lazy egocentric smartmouth) and more heartwarming with more meaningful interaction with family and friends.

Calvin is a complete loner that exists entirely in his own mind and doesn't really grow much. Hobbes is an expression cynic narcissism.
>>
>>94443211
I think Walt Disney, who is like Stan Lee a figure of great discussion, said that your dead if you only market to kids. Watterson made something that kids and their parents can enjoy. Some strips are wordy or simple, but there is always something good. The series of strip with the break-in where Calvin frantically looks for Hobbes because he thinks he's the most valuable thing works as a great example because it shows his parents perspective and Calvin's.
>>
>>94443945
I think you're hit the nail on the head. Judging from his own commentary, C&H was his way of keeping in touch with his inner child, as well as explore ideas and issues that meant a lot to him. That's probably the root of why he was so vehemently against marketing the comic; as far he was concerned, if he did that C&H would just become another product to sell, and the overall concern would be keeping the comic safe and profitable.

That said, a lot of jokes do get funnier as grow and get more experience. After I took a few art history classes in university, all the art jokes started making a lot of sense. In fact, whenever Calvin switches into his pseudointellectual commercial pop artist mode, I'm almost positive he's channeling Jeff Koons.
>>
>>94447372
>I think you're hit the nail
>>
File: 1498501571612.jpg (27KB, 477x425px) Image search: [Google]
1498501571612.jpg
27KB, 477x425px
Godamnit I am too cynical. I keep reading C&H as Cyanide and Happiness instead of the comic at hand which is Calving and Hobbes
>>
>>94446712
>said that your dead if you

*said that you're dead if you
>>
File: image.png (389KB, 964x453px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
389KB, 964x453px
>>
>>94443211
It's not only timeless, it actually gets better with time.

I read it when I was 6, and there were things to laugh at. Mostly Calvin's hatred for school or camping. As a pre-teen I felt I could fully understand all the Calvin-centric stories. As a teen I related more to Hobbes. As a young adult I'm relating more to Rosalyn, and am starting to understand Calvin's parents' POV. If I reach 30, I'll probably sympathize with Ms. Wormwood
>>
>>94443211
Kids AND adults.
>>
>>94443211
I read it back when I was 9 or so.

I repeated a line from a panel where Calvin is snarking about hating his mom's cooking when my mom made squash one night.

She didn't know that and i got smacked upside the head.
>>
File: image.gif (16KB, 600x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
16KB, 600x194px
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.