[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question: How does Rorschach get away with pulling the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Rorschach_blot_01.jpg (197KB, 736x482px) Image search: [Google]
Rorschach_blot_01.jpg
197KB, 736x482px
Serious question: How does Rorschach get away with pulling the dark and brooding edge lord and get away with it so well?
What about the writing of this character makes it so he's not an incredibly cringe mary sue?

general edgelords in comics thread, i guess
>>
File: veidt.png (628KB, 922x576px) Image search: [Google]
veidt.png
628KB, 922x576px
For one thing, because he's not a Mary Sue, he's treated as a crazy asshole in the comic. He's also a deconstruction of characters who are, at their core and in spite of how well they're written, edgelords like Mr. A, the original Question, Batman, the Shadow and the Punisher.

Rorschach is the epitome of the revenge fantasy aspect of superheroes, the idea that bad people deserve bad things to happen to them but often get away with it, and so we want justice to be served upon them. It's human nature to want justice and fairness, and it's called "shadenfreude".

However in the case of Rorschach we're being shown that a character like that doesn't really make sense in the real world where morality is not as black and white as we like to imagine in our genre fantasy.

Now, he's not meant to be hated. In fact we have moments like where he snaps and kills the guy who kills the little girl where that part of our psyche that likes justice might feel relief. But the point of that part is the damage that would do to a person's psyche-- the little girl is still dead, and the image of the guy's split skull remains with him forever, being brought back to him by the sight of the dog with the split skull in the alleyway, like a Rorschach test where every person's perceptions of the blots are colored by their past experiences.

Rorschach views criminals as dogs to be put down, and the scene with the little girl's killer is supposed to represent WHY he believes that, and it makes you think "well, maybe he's right". It's supposed to give credence to his side of the argument he has with Ozy at the end of the book.
>>
>>94438466
Good post. Wolfman's Vigilante also handles this really well.
>>
>>94438466
>he's treated as a crazy asshole in the comic.
In the movie as well. He's still a homeless friendless loser in the movie, Dan aside.
>>
>>94437863
>How does Rorschach get away with pulling the dark and brooding edge lord and get away with it so well?
>What about the writing of this character makes it so he's not an incredibly cringe mary sue?
Come back when you discuss characters in terms of personality traits and not in terms of internet buzzwords.
>>
>>94437863
Because his peepee is floppy like a pancake LOL!
>>
>>94438466
Is it normal that when i see someone come up with such an in-depth analysis of something i like, the first thing i think is "why didn't i realize this? am i stupid?"
>>
>>94439077
I've literally spent years writing about this one fucking book so don't feel bad about it.
>>
His backstory explains why he thinks the way he does besides "muh revenge" or "muh so-called justice", and the world doesn't bend over backwards to have his method be the best option in every circumstance. Also >>94438466
>>
>>94437863
>What about the writing of this character makes it so he's not an incredibly cringe mary sue?

he's 5'6'' and has no friends
the one friend he had had outgrown him
>>
>>94438509
Apologies for the buzzwords. I just got finished watching the movie for the first time since I saw it in theaters and seriously was just thinking about why people don't call Rorschach out on his edge lord style. I just didn't have a great way to word it.
>>94438466
Thanks for this. This post genuinely answered the exact question I had. and it cured my cancer
>>
File: incharge.png (850KB, 656x649px) Image search: [Google]
incharge.png
850KB, 656x649px
Best edgelord coming through. He's a sadist torture master that genocides planets and he gets away with it because he's childish, pouty, lazy, petty, an attention whore who's obsessed with his senpai, and he's fucking hilarious.
>>
>>94437863
He gets away with it because at his core he's an incredibly awkward, socially inept person who has Intimacy issues. If you analyze his character arc, it becomes rather apparent that he doesn't understand the nature of Human desire to connect with others on a deeply personal level, even if it's an illusion.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.