[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This film is very overrated, it's style over substance.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Kubo_and_the_Two_Strings_poster.png (179KB, 259x384px) Image search: [Google]
Kubo_and_the_Two_Strings_poster.png
179KB, 259x384px
This film is very overrated, it's style over substance. Coraline and Paranorman are way superior, this is Boxtrolls-tier, if not lower.
>>
>>94376089

Laika makes KINO, not movies for common audience, they dont have braintrust, executives, they dont make test screening.

Would be fun to see them actually compete with big guys, but that's not their goal.
>>
>>94376089
Agreed. I was disappointed.
>>
>>94376089
The plot is weak, as is any kid's-quest-for-McGuffin-with-obvious-twist plot. There's a lot to like beyond that though.
>>
>>94376089
Well, I think comparing it to Boxtrolls is going just a little too far, but I do have to agree that it is style over substance and that Coraline and Paranorman are better films, Paranorman being my personal favorite. It's just such a damn shame that Kubo was so close to being truly great.
>>
>>94376089
It's better than boxtrolls
>>
The ending still makes me cry
>>
>>94376089
Eh, I think it had a strong start but they shouldn't have introduced the beetle, the comedy was already fine and I would've liked to see the dynamic between him and his mother more, they had pretty good banter. The animation was a nice change of pace from the usual stuff so it was much appreciated. I also liked the fact that the movie wasn't preachy, political, or trying to be anything more than what it is, just a story about a fucked family trying to deal with their issues. I kinda liked the cheesy ending where they all just sort of forgave the grandfather after he was mind wiped. I also liked the fact that kubo was mature for his age (given his circumstances) yet still emotionally mature
>>
>>94376484
Meant to say 'yet still playful like an actual kid would be'
>>
>>94376089
Haven't seen this movie, but I remember when /co/ constantly had "why won't you see Kubo? Save traditional animation!" threads, and I just wanted to say:

Because I don't like claymation, that's why.
>>
>>94376089
This. I was expecting kino and got artsy flick. Coraline is much better.
>>
>>94376089
Begrudgingly agree. Even though the animation and visuals are the best i've seen from Laika, the story was just eh.

It seemed to be pushing really hard for the emotional angle, but they tried to pack in so many metaphors and symbolism and such (ex. the cranes representing the dead, but seem to have no bearing on the story, just as feels trimming at the end.)
the little paper guide really befuddled me. it was said that it was the spirit of his father, but his father was the beetle dude. so, one can assume the paper guide was controlled by the moon family. but if that was the case, why did it correctly guide them to 2/3 armor pieces? i watched the film a while ago, am i missing something?
>>
>>94376089
Its like 50% talking about shit that they are going to show us anyway. Waste of the medium.
>>
>>94377858

stop motion, not claymation.
>>
>>94376470
Me too. OP and the rest are being contrarian faggots.
>>
>>94376089
>it's style over substance

I mean, yeah, I get what you're saying.
But there so much style though.
>>
>>94376089
I wouldn't quite call it style over substance, but yes it's definitely a cut below Coraline and Paranorman, and Boxtrolls at least is more interesting from a design standpoint.
>>
The effort they put into the scenery was way more impressive than any other film they did, but yeah that story was only okay.
>>
>>94376089
It's style over substance in the same way as something like Redline. It's still a fantastic film, just not quite as good as Coraline.
>>
File: 1496253406921.jpg (141KB, 715x590px) Image search: [Google]
1496253406921.jpg
141KB, 715x590px
The story was solid. What the fuck are you guys talking about?! Beetle and Monkey were great and their deaths gave me that tickle in the bridge of my nose. It could only be better If their ghosts weren't watching Kubo in the end, like, right behind him, they shoul've felt more distant from him
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.