[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Edgy" will inevitably return, there is no escaping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1482589046901.jpg (88KB, 559x568px) Image search: [Google]
1482589046901.jpg
88KB, 559x568px
"Edgy" will inevitably return, there is no escaping thing. Trends are cyclical, as edginess was a result of certain franchises trying to grow with their once young fans into adolescence, and also a general reaction to the new generations of youths finding old stuff to be too cheesey or not edgy enough, we will have another era eventually of dark and edgy ruling all with lighthearted and campy being seen as "that old shit"

That being said, will you be ready for it? Everyone who's really young right now and has a nerdy older brother or sister or even mom or dad who loves what's going on right now is going to grow up to want the complete opposite, and seeing as the past near decade has been about bright and colorful humorous stuff like Adventure Time, My Little Pony, Steven Universe, and Star Vs, what do you think the future holds?
>>
>>94349098
History is not inherently cyclical. That's wishful thinking from those too scared to start revolutions.
>>
>>94349098
It feels like cycles nowadays have a shorter lifespan than they did in the 90s or earlier.

Edgy already had a return in the late 00s culminating in the first couple of years of the New 52. Marvel reacted with Waid's Daredevil which lead to Fraction's Hawkeye which lead to the current crop of cutesy practically aimless books about the woes of finding a good place for brunch or a bedbug invasion.

DC reacted to that with Rebirth and I can't decipher the core idea of it yet - maybe Doomsday Clock will tell. It certainly isn't as progressive/bombastic/mature as the 1997-2004 wave.
>>
>>94349350
>Edgy already had a return in the late 00s culminating in the first couple of years of the New 52
Ultimatum and Ultimate in general was Edgy, Nu52 was Gritty. Not quite the same thing, although both present in the 90s.
>>
>>94349350
I would argue the "edgy" of the 90s didn't ever end until the 2010s....the 00s were largely running on the leftover steam of the 90s trends.
It's why half the shit younger people refer to as "90s" actually came out in like the very end of the 90s and the 00s
>>
>>94349098
Edgy already came back this decade, did you miss nu52?
>>
>>94349393
Since when is there a distinction between gritty and edgy? New 52 had Daniel, Finch, Lee, Johns, Harras sensibilities running rampant.

BATMAN DOESN'T SIT is as ridiculously dumb as that Punisher 2099 page that used to be posted in every let's laugh at the 90s thread, except Mills wrote satire and that note was sent with a straight face.
>>
>>94349511
>Since when is there a distinction between gritty and edgy?
By /co/ standards? The difference between the 80s and 90s
>>
>>94349321
t. American who hasn't read history
>>
>>94349537
Then New 52 certainly wasn't gritty. The above mentioned 1997-2004 wave was.
>>
>>94349558
That's American pop positivity thinking I'm talking about there, you stupid American.
>>
>>94349098
We have had dozens maybe hundreds of issues of Crossed.
Edginess never left, but there's no reason to think it'll overtake the market.
>>
>>94349098
I just wonder if sjw stuff will still rule the day if everyone wants super edgy stuff a few years from now.

Violent mascures will be punctuated with finding out the appropriate pronouns for the victims
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.