[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are comics mostly a new york thing? Whenever i hear about comics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: MidtownComics_v2_460x285.jpg (66KB, 460x285px) Image search: [Google]
MidtownComics_v2_460x285.jpg
66KB, 460x285px
Are comics mostly a new york thing? Whenever i hear about comics their culture almost strictly acknowledges the ny community. Also the fact that i live in la and almost no one here reads comics
>>
>>94346978
Especially the Big two, most comics industry originated in NYC since back in the 30's. It was the city where many publications started. Both Marvel and DC's headquarters started in NYC (DC now moved to California). I sometimes laugh how the biggest and most hype comic-con is station in San Diego rather than NYC. California really is the most spoiled state.
>>
>>94346978
When DC comics made Superman and Batman live in Metropolis and Gotham, respectively, the readers all assumed that both were sort of parodies of NYC.
When Marvel comics came along their corporate HQ building was located in New York City, and they had limited hopes that the company's distribution would grow beyond the city, so they made all their superheroes local.
Spider-Man lived in the Bronx, Captain America came from Brooklyn , Dare Devil lived in Hell's Kitchen, the Fantastic Four's Baxter Building had a NYC street address that fans could see on a street map.
Marvel artists actually roamed the city to make the artwork of street scenes 100% accurate.
Kids could got play in the part of Central Park where The Punisher's family was killed.

You can see where this all comes from.
>>
>>94347404
>kids could not play where the punisher's family was killed
I knew that nyc was really compact but this is on another level
>>
I honestly wish New York would die already, I'm sick of it and its people.
>>
>>94347648
I think it was meant to be go not not.
>>
>>94346978
Almost no one reads comics period. Maybe 1 in 2,000.
>>
>>94348898
Still far more than watch cartoons.
>>
>Are comics mostly a new york thing?

I feel like comics are mostly a Gen X thing. I listen to a lot of podcasts and you can tell the difference between a 40-something geek who knows everything about comics and a 30-something geek who never reads comics and can hum the Gurren Lagaan OP.
>>
>>94347648
Central Park was rape, murder, rob park back then.
>>
>>94347404
>the Fantastic Four's Baxter Building had a NYC street address that fans could see on a street map.

Yancy Street is a spoof on Delancey Street.
>>
>>94346978
The American comics industry was effectively born in NY.
>>
>>94346978
I live in NYC and lots of people read comics here. Lots of free nerd parties too. When Homecoming came out, there were two separate free rooftop parties to go to.
>>
>>94347404
Spidey's from Forest Hills, Queens. A real place- his original high school looked just like Forest Hills HS. His home was on 20 Ingram St, a real place occupied IRL by a family named Parker. (And their neighbor's name was Osborne.)

He even talked like a Queens boy with the right writers.
>>
>>94347648
I mean, its not just some obscure little park, Central Park is probably one of the most famous parks in the world. John Lennon was murdered just a across the way from it.
>>
>>94347648
>>94349875
It's absurd how compact NYC is. Last week I learned that Rodney Dangerfield grew up in the building Kitty Genovese was murdered outside of.
>>
>>94349680
What do I have to do to be informed about shit like this?
>>
>>94351994
It's usually posted up on social media but I went to one of those Homecoming free rooftop parties as >>94349680 mentioned and I'll be honest it was pretty fuckin ass. The DJs they had were total shit and couldn't play any good party music, all they did was play trap shit. Their specialty mix drinks were overpriced and watered down as fuck. I went in (after I was at the Homecoming photoshoot in Times square) with some of my buds and we wound up just going to the second floor of the place, drinking from their bar and striking conversations with people.

The Sexy Nerds group, they usually know how to throw a good nerd related party in the NYC scene.
>>
>>94352100
Thanks, I'll follow em on Twitter. I need more opportunities in my life to interact with real people that share my /co/ interests.
>>
>>94352231
Last party they had was some Rick n Morty thing on sunday. I didn't go to that because had shit going on.

Meetup.com is also another great way to find shit to do in the city and meet people.
>>
>>94348913
Millions of people watch Family Guy vs thousands who read comics.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.