[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Simpsons episode "Hurricane Neddy" ruined Ned Fladers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (22KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 259x194px
The Simpsons episode "Hurricane Neddy" ruined Ned Fladers WAY more than "The Prinipal and the Pauper" ruined Principal Skinner.

How don't people mention this?
I was was REALLY upset when I watched the Ned Fladers episode, and I didn't care at all when I saw the Principal Skinner one.

I've watched every episode in the first 10 seasons, so don't even attempt to try to say I don't have a qualified opinion.
>>
>>94327774
No. It gave him depth.
>>
How can you "ruin" a character who had become so one-dimensional that they named the term describing the process in which characters become one-dimensional after?
>>
How? It wasn't the episode where he became the crazy Christian stereotype
>>
I liked that episode because it shows that even someone like Ned can be pushed to the edge due to incompetence
>>
It was funny, the Principal and the Pauper wasn't.
>>
File: 200px-Flanders_with_Parents.png (293KB, 704x458px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Flanders_with_Parents.png
293KB, 704x458px
Who was in the wrong here?
>>
File: 1418486600531.png (162KB, 400x302px) Image search: [Google]
1418486600531.png
162KB, 400x302px
>>94327954
I really like his parents.
>>
>>94327774
How? Unlike Armin Tamzarian, It didn't contradict anything previously established.
>>
>>94327950
>the Principal and the Pauper wasn't.
I've seen plenty of people who don't like it, admit it has some decent jokes. Its infamy was more because of the story.
>>
>>94328028
Did they ever show up again?
>>
>>94327950
>Homer Simpson...you are the WORST human being I have EVER met!
>Whew, at least I got off easy.
>>
>>94327774
The only thing I really care about is that the episode is funny. Hurricane Neddy is funny ("I don't know you, but I'm sure you're a jerk", "he fell for it, way to go Marge", "short answer yes with an if, long answer no with a but"). The Principal and the Pauper is like 90% exposition, aka it's boring and not funny.
>>
>>94328156
In one of the newer seasons, yes, the appear to smoke up with Homer, and Ned punches him.
>>
>>94327898
>>94327897
These.
That episode improved Flanders, if anything.
>>
>>94328156

I think they were also in a much earlier episode, but my memory might be playing tricks on me.
>>
We ran out of floorboards, so we painted the dirt.
Pretty clevaaaaaa!
>>
>>94327774
I think the writers making him more of a bible thumping prick is what ruined him.
>>
>>94327774
Quick rundown please?
>>
>>94329520
This a classic ep you should know.
>>
>>94329235
They did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TFoB4xqZko
>>
>>94328028
Lousy beatniks
>>
>>94327774
To get Ned to snap they put him through hell and back. His explosion was more than appropriate for the situation.
Explaining how he contained rage built up his character, not the other way around.

It's mildly contradictory with very early Flanders (mostly the minigolf episode) but hey, Simpsons and continuity.

Principal and the Pauper outright destroys a character without an out that isn't a disastrous fourth wall break that's not even funny. It destroys the show's inner logic in the same way the show had mocked before when a second Homer walks by to prove "cartoons don't have to make sense".
>>
>>94329858

How is Skinner's character destroyed?
>>
>>94327774
>It's a load-bearing poster.
I used that phrase even today.
>>
>>94329858
>It destroys the show's inner logic in the same way the show had mocked before when a second Homer walks by to prove "cartoons don't have to make sense".

I like that joke. It's short and painless nonsense. Like Roy or Guy Incognito.
>>
>>94329939
It's been a while since I watched but I thought most of his charm came from the fact that he had experienced all of those horrors of war, this made him interesting because even if he was an out of touch old guy, he had a reason most of the time, whereas now he is out of touch for basically no reason, which makes him just an idiot.
>>
>>94330018
I fucking love Guy Incognito.
https://youtu.be/7jaAeTaG_ms
>>
>>94330135

But he still experienced those horrors of war?
>>
>>94329939
He is literally not the same person. All his traumas and stiff behavior and mother issues were copied from someone else.

That's character death.
>>
>>94330318
To be fair the did reference it once and just said "Yeah we fucked up so just pretend it never happened."
>>
>>94329858
It's better to not consider "Principal and the Pauper" as part of the cannon. That episode was cleary just made as a rant about them not being allowed to break the status quo at that moment. I mean, just the way how that episdoe raped the status quo and tried to flick it back together with a series of asspull. That joke at the end made it even clearer that they were mocking the channel.
>>
>>94330318

An elephant still ate his entire platoon. He still spent three years in a POW camp forced to subsist on a thin broth made of five kinds of rice.
>>
>>94327774
Hurricane Neddy gave Ned some extra depth, especially when he was starting to become stale. Showing how aware he is was a great way to keep him interesting, because the whole point of him in the first place was being the neighbor that was good at everything.

Principal and the Payper was just straight up moronic. It provided nothing depth-wise to Skinner, and instead just made him seem more confusing for the hell of it. Even the end of the episode shows the writer didn't know what to do with it.
>>
>>94327774
I agree, even as a kid it thought it ruined his character
Early Simpsons is amazing but not every episode is perfect
>>
>>94329858
I don't like the episode not because of that scene
but because it explains ned is really a bad person that had his brain scrambled
>>
>>94330402
The channel? No.

That episode was made to make fun of online fans at the time who would throw a fit every time they made a minor retcon to a character's backstory. The entire joke is that they intentionally made a retcon so outrageous that even the people of Springfield reject it.
>>
>>94330610
Ned's a good guy who was an unruly kid like how must kids are. They just made him a little too repressed in an overcorrection of his behavior, that's all.
>>
>>94328224
Man imagine writing new episodes of the Simpsons
All right gang, we need some obscure old one joke character to bring back so people watch the clip on youtube
I wonder how they feel about their own writing
>>
>>94330705
>I wonder how they feel about their own writing
they think they are good
>>
>>94330424
Did it? Did any of that happen to him, or were those just anecdotes from the real Skinner?

Would "cool rogue" Armin fail to understand "Up with miniskirts!"?
>>
>>94330318
But Sergeant Skinner wasn't nearly as stiff as Armin, and he didn't have the same mother issues. The episode went out of its way to illustrate that

Sergeant Skinner was more well adjusted, he went out to get a beer after work, he didn't bend to Agnes' every need.

Armin's relationship and codependency with Mrs. Skinner was all him.
>>
>>94330846
I honestly don't that
How can you think your. Work is good when. A simple Google search reveals millions of people discussing how bad it is, that's like a level of denial so big you would have to live on a cave to mantain
They probably think we'll it's not awful, at least someone watches it right?
I will never forget the episode in wich first lady Michelle Obama falls from the skies like an angel at the end on a helicopter to tell Lisa that she is too good to have friends even tho it was never even mentioned before that Lisa sent her a letter and it comes out of nowhere
Who writes that? Who thinks that's ok?
Lowest point in the entire series there
>>
>>94330610
He became "bad" because he had his brain scrambled by parents who refused to act as such.

It really explains not just the comedic positive attitude but also why he's an ideal father of a family. All those things he suffered from, he tried to restore.
>>
>>94330934
It was all him pretending to be someone else.
As soon as he decides to quit he goes back to what he considers to be the "real him", which is a no good sloth.
>>
>>94330948
"Anyone who disagrees of doesnt like my stuff is a hater, dont listen to haters they are just trolls"
This is the nonsensical thinking of modern people. It probably makes them happy so many people hate their stuff
>>
>>94331035

Was he pretending to be someone else while trying to advertise Capitol City's nakedest ladies?
>>
>>94329424
You're correct and OP is an idiot
>>
>>94330155
>in English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnOrecMtpFc
>>
>>94330610
He was just an out of control kid whose parents refused to discipline him. So they pawned him off on Radical Therapy that went too far in the other direction. He's not a bad person but he was raised poorly then given quack therapy that forced to think all his negative thoughts were supposed to be bottled up.
The episode ends with him learning there can be a middle ground between the two.
>>
>>94327950
The worst thing is watching a stream of bad Simpsons episodes years ago and finding out that Principal and the Pauper was still funnier than later episodes of Simpsons. Like "Lisa the Drama Queen". What a fucked up realization.
>>
A fresh batch of America balls!
>>
>>94331035
He was still awkward and stiff. "Up yours children" or >>94331089

After decades of acting his own personality was affected. You can't pretend to be someone else 24/365 for most of your life and not have some of your own personality traits bleed through.
>>
>>94331084
That's the overwhelming majority of the entire world
If the entire world hated my show that would get to me
Do they have fans? Do people tell them they are doing a good job?
>>
OP here. In the episode they mention that when he says things like "diddly" it's his pent up rage and aggression. How doesn't that not ruin the character?

I can't listen to him without thinking about that. It's not just a funny quirk from that episode on. It's his built up aggression... It's disturbing DESU

Also, I'm talking about the more classic era, a lot of stuff ruined characters in later seasons. Ned wasn't a religious freak stereotype in the first 10 seasons.

Before this episode it felt like he just was the positive fun innocent neighbor who loved the Simpsons even if they were horrible to him, and was just positive. It was refreshing and funny.

>"character depth."
What a joke. Give me a break
>>
>>94331420
On mobile, meant to say "DESU" not "DESU," lol....
>>
>>94331420
On mobile, meant to say "DESU" not "DESU," lol....>>94331451
DESU, not desu. It did it again. Kill me. AHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>94331477
WHY IS T B H (without spaces) autocorrected on here? What?
>>
>>94331343
Yes, yes. But it still ends up being a character Frankestein's monster that doesn't know what it really is.
The episode itself points to this, how ridiculously awkward it is to being a living lie.
>>
>>94329858
>It's mildly contradictory with very early Flanders (mostly the minigolf episode)
It's most contradictory to the one where the Leftorium goes out of business
>>
>>94331506
>>94331477
>>94331451

Lurk more.
>>
>>94327774
Okay then Mr Enter.
>>
>>94330135
But he's not out of touch
its the children who are wrong
>>
>>94331506
kys newfriend
>>
>>94330135
>>94329939
>>94330318
Funny timing for this discussion. Yesterday, I saw someone posting reddit screencaps on /tv/ of people defending the episode, falling for the excuse that the writer made.
>>
>>94327774
How did it ruin him?
>>
>>94331701
Wrote this above, but, the fact his "didly-doo"s are actually a result of suppressed anger. It changes the whole meaning of it. It's no longer a funny quirk, it's pent up aggression.
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 1024x185px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 1024x185px
>>94329858
Not even canon anymore.
>>
>>94332194
Again, Simpsons and continuity. It doesn't ruin the character because of any sort of on going story.
The episode itself has poor internal consistency.
Much more harmless are things like the real Skinner being "too independent" for Agnes, and yet still choosing to move in with her.
>>
File: mqdefault (2).jpg (7KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault (2).jpg
7KB, 320x180px
>>94331420
>>94331451
>>94331477
>>94331506
Sweet God, anon
>>
>>94332171
It's almost like they're trying to give him depth
>>
>>94331420
>It's disturbing
Get a load of this triggered faggot. People like you is why tv fucking sucks nowadays. Go and enjoy nusimpsons.
>>
>>94332171
God forbid they tried to make him human. And it's not aggression all the time, that's the point of the episode. Being jolly all the time is just as harmful as being aggressive all the time.
>>
>>94327774
>The Simpsons episode "Hurricane Neddy" ruined Ned Fladers WAY more than "The Prinipal and the Pauper" ruined Principal Skinner.
Pretty sure the episode where they gave him a throw away cousin with the manner of speech ruined Ned more than anything else.
>>
>>94327774
That was the most satisfying episode though.
>>
>>94332171
Yeah, it's funny.
>>
>>94332171
>It changes the whole meaning of it. It's no longer a funny quirk, it's pent up aggression.
And it was mostly used around Homer and his family.
>>
>>94332347
He didn't have a job or any money or anywhere else to live
>>
The scene where he snaps has some of the best quotes the Simpsons came out with.
>Hey I may be ugly and hate filled but I'm...what was the third thing you said?
>>
>>94327774
The scene where he blew up on the Springfielders called out the Simpsons on all their bullshit was priceless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdtYzStvWo
>>
>>94331676
>kys
Fuck off back to facebook
>>
>>94331084
Oh, you think you're clever? Well I got news for you sunshine, everybody KNOWS you're really talking about God-Emperor Trump, and you are WRONG.
>>
File: 1460920973542.png (645KB, 830x1262px) Image search: [Google]
1460920973542.png
645KB, 830x1262px
>>94331420
>>94331451
>>94331477
>>94331506

There's a special place in hell for newfriends like you.
>>
>>94328156
They also appeared during Ned and Edna's wedding
>>
>>94332171
>It's no longer a funny quirk, it's pent up aggression.
Oh my god newfriend! That sounds so human and disturbing I feel like I'm getting the shivers just thinking about it! How dare this cartoon parody of family sitcoms try to develop their characters to just more than the stereotypes they represent?
On a serious note, you're a faggot OP.
>>
>>94331506
Because dumbshits like you kept using it.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.