[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Steve Whitmire Thread of "Why are we letting Disney

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

File: kremittehforg.jpg (58KB, 675x452px) Image search: [Google]
kremittehforg.jpg
58KB, 675x452px
>The Battle Between Jim Henson’s Kids and Ex-Kermit Steve Whitmire Gets Uglier
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/07/kermit-steve-whitmire-fired-cheryl-henson-brian-henson

>Steve Whitmire on Today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdCVLPTiYtg

>Whitmire responds to allegations of bad business conduct
https://stevewhitmire-muppetpundit.com/2017/07/18/early-influences-on-my-business-conduct/

TL;DR, Steve was one of two active Muppeteers remaining from the days Jim Henson walked the earth. He was trained by Jim, worked on The Muppet Show and several of the classic Muppet films, and was chosen by Jim's son to inherit the role of Kermit when Jim died. Disney suddenly fires him for vague, half-explained reasons while the Henson kids throw shade at him for no apparent reason.

Two weeks ago this was a hot topic here on /co/, but have we really moved on? Should we move on? Are we (and by 'we' I obviously mean the Muppet fans of /co/) just going to let Disney get away with this?
>>
>>94295423

What the fuck are we gonna do about you, you whiny bitch - boycott Disney? Write them angry emails? Piss on Jim Henson's grave?

Seriously, what the fuck do you think you can accomplish here? We're talking about Disney. One of their lawyers so much as blinks in your direction and you vanish off the face of the earth.
>>
File: Kaguya-Sumeragi-Code-Geass-2.jpg (663KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Kaguya-Sumeragi-Code-Geass-2.jpg
663KB, 1920x1080px
>>94295453
We could find the person ultimately responsible for it all and cut their tongue out.
>>
>>94295493
I unironically support this notion
>>
File: Tim-Tom_and_Kevin.png (852KB, 1195x670px) Image search: [Google]
Tim-Tom_and_Kevin.png
852KB, 1195x670px
>>94295493
With a knife!
>>
>>94295493
On a more realistic note, we could just downvote the hell out of every Matt Vogel Kermit video they upload on YouTube
>>
>>94295493
You are neither capable of determining the person responsible, finding that person were the information given to you, causing him any harm if you even had access to him nor getting away with it without detrimental consequences if all the above were handed to you on a silver platter. You are nothing but an impotent fool yelling into an empty void futilely.
>>
I know who they should hire as the new Kermit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12iC6ozD4Io
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ftiL4c_CA
>>
> this thread again ...
>>
>>94295620
Holy shit I fucking love this timeline.
>>
So why are the kids mad at him?
>>
>>94295620
Funny, but he sounds hoarse in the first video and nothing like Kermit at all in the second.
>>
>>94295423
>>
>>94295493
This is a good idea. Death to The Rat
>>
>>94295655
He threatened their cushy position sucking Disney cock, probably
>>
>>94295682
I am dumb and don't understand what you are implying they did? So you are assuming they were going along with Disney on something they felt was good for the muppets and he disagreed with? Thus they asked Disney to fire him?
>>
>>94295682
>as Cheryl put it in a Facebook post, “Steve’s version of history is ridiculously self serving.” According to Cheryl, it was her brother who asked Whitmire to play Kermit—not their father, as Whitmire has claimed. As Cheryl sees it, “Steve’s performance of Kermit has strayed far away from my father’s good hearted, compassionate leader of the Muppets. Steve performed Kermit as a bitter, angry, depressed, victim. Worst of all, in the past few years he had not been funny or fun. Recasting Kermit is long over due.” Brian Henson told The Hollywood Reporter that Whitmire “often played brinksmanship,” making “outrageous demands” on the basis that he was Kermit, and therefore the center of the Muppets.

>“Kermit has, as a character, flattened out over time and has become too square and not as vital as it should have been,” Henson told T.H.R. “Again, what my dad brought to it—without even thinking because he was accessing his own character that was coming out of his own personality—was a wry intelligence, a little bit of a naughtiness, but Kermit always loved everyone around and also loved a good prank.”

>Brian believes Whitmire’s performance diminished the character—but he’s confident that Whitmire’s replacement, Matt Vogel, can bring those nuances back. “I think the fans should not be so scared of change,” Henson said. “Steve did Kermit for a very long time—I would say for far too long. And the character was no longer being serviced by Steve performing Kermit.”
>>
>>94295535
FUCKING KNIVES
>>
>>94295724
Incidentally, this is what did him in
>Brian Henson told The Hollywood Reporter that Whitmire “often played brinksmanship,” making “outrageous demands” on the basis that he was Kermit, and therefore the center of the Muppets.

Disney doesn't tolerate backtalk in any form from it's performers. Remember what happened to Cheedle? Edward Norton?
>>
File: CxZP0FBXcAAiHYj.jpg (139KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
CxZP0FBXcAAiHYj.jpg
139KB, 1200x600px
>>94295655
According to the Henson kids, he's always behaved "unprofessionally" and would sometimes play "brinkmanship" (although none of the three children have given specific examples of this). They've also accused him of diluting Kermit's character, even though 2), he doesn't write the scripts, and 2), according to him, it was his complaints over Disney's scripts that landed him in hot water in the first place.

Anyway, it only took 27 years and Disney taking the initiative to fire him for them to speak up... just not to Steve's face. But he has had no problem giving his side of the story on his blog: https://stevewhitmire-muppetpundit.com/
>>
>>94295546
Didn't they disable the votes on the first such video, or am I thinking of something else? (Maybe they just delayed it's release?)
>>
>>94295493
just hire a deepweb assassin
>>
>>94295741
I'm not sure they even released the first Matt Vogel video. I just looked awhile ago and couldn't find it.
>>
>>94295735
>it was his complaints over Disney's scripts that landed him in hot water in the first place.
this and >>94295734 this. Disney is EXTREMELY controlling. You either play ball or take a hike. The only one who ever sort of god away with it was Henson himself. Because he was Jim fucking Henson.
>>
>>94295734
>Remember what happened to Cheedle?
Isn't Don Cheedle still in the Marvel movies?
>>
>>94295769
My bad, Terrence Howard. Cheedle was the one who replaced him
>>
>>94295493
>We could find the person ultimately responsible for it
Steve Whitmire
>>
>>94295734 probably never happened and is just bullshit, like
>Steve’s performance of Kermit has strayed far away from my father’s good hearted, compassionate leader of the Muppets. Steve performed Kermit as a bitter, angry, depressed, victim
... which would directly contradict him complaining about the scripts making Kermit into exactly what Cheryl described.

Mouse offed him because HE wanted to keep Kermit closer to Jim's original intention while Disney wanted to turn him into something they could more easily market. Jim's shitty kids are just jockeying for favorability with the mouse.
>>
>Steve performed Kermit as a bitter, angry, depressed, victim
Any examples of these?
>>
>>94295833
Probably that short lived Muppet sitcom where he got cucked by Miss Piggy
>>
>>94295734
I thought Howard just wanted way more money than anyone else, like he believed the movie was a success in at least some part due to him.
>>
>>94295841
Yep. The one Steve complained about regularly. Fuck Cheryl Henson.
>>
>>94295841
>>94295887
he complained about it so it's his fault the character did their script as delivered to him? Sounds like they just wanted to fire him for whatever reason then. Maybe they don't like him, maybe he won't shill enough with the kermit voice.
>>
>talking shit about your employer gets you fired
more news at 11
>>
>>94295914
>employer asks you to kill someone
>refuse
>suddenly fired
wow
>>
File: 1465707468064.jpg (75KB, 277x256px) Image search: [Google]
1465707468064.jpg
75KB, 277x256px
>>94295535
This is the kind of post that reminds me why I haven't abandoned this place yet.
>>
>>94295914
>expecting /co/ to realise this
That'd imply we actually have jobs anon
>>
>>94295901
>>94295887
>>94295842
>>94295841
It's likely that, as Kermit, he WAS paid more. And when the muppet sitcom failed, Disney was looking to cut losses. LO and behold here's this uppity puppet man, making more than everyone else, talking shit about the companies decisions

WHAT
TO
DO
WHAT
TO
DO

The rest is history. Whitman just made the mistake of believing he was indispensable because he was Kermit.
>>
>>94295741
Disney can also pay YouTube to disable comments and skew Like to Dislike ratios and numbers.

They do it for all their PC bullshit that everyone downvotes YouTube force feeds.
>>
>>94296012
Comrade, you have the proofs?
>>
>>94295423
>throw shade
Am I the only one tired of newfags bringing twitter nigger speak to 4chan?
>>
>>94295814
Probably asking him to do PC bullshit like the rest of the cast of Sesame Street.

Seriously if you didn't know, Elmo visited a Syrian refugee camp
>>
>>94296036
Peace homey, we don't need those kind of negative vibes, dig? That shit is whack in the siggity sack. You need to learn to go with the flow, jive turkey.
>>
>>94295735
> he only wants what's best for the muppets, at all times

> he has had no problem giving his side of the story on his blog and making public appearances talking shit and making the hensons and disney look bad

really made me think

there's elegant and inelegant ways of handling being fired, guess which this is
I'll give you a hint throwing a months long public tantrum isn't elegant
>>
To quote Harlan Ellison: "Don't fuck with the Mouse."
>>
>>94296054
On the one hand I somewhat agree, on the other hand doesn't that inform the level of corporately beat-down double think we employ? The idea that speaking your mind is somehow in bad taste? You should continue to serve the company after they shitcan you without any warning?
>>
>>94296048
Jive-ass dude ain't got no brains anyhow
>>
While I don't like Disney, ultimately I'm more disgusted by the actions of the Henson children and their blatantly contradictory slander of Steve.
>>
>>94295735
>They've also accused him of diluting Kermit's character, even though 2), he doesn't write the scripts, and 2), according to him, it was his complaints over Disney's scripts that landed him in hot water in the first place.
You kind of sound like you answered your own quibble. He angled for things that diluted the character, and at times, probably got his way, affecting the character in a way they didn't like.
>>
>>94295718
Their opinions immediately came out after Disney visited them.
>>
>>94296054
Ratfuckers should have their throats cut.

If you defend Disney you deserve to die.
>>
>>94295597
Memes will keep the hydra heads busy while mythology will burn the heart of IP law. Praise Kek.
>>
>>94296148
>You kind of sound like you answered your own quibble
Not really. What he angled for was for the Muppets to get back to their rougher, less saccharine roots. What Chelsea Henson blames Whitmire for bringing to the character are the exact traits he'd allegedly made an issue of with the writers of The Muppets ABC sitcom.

And anyway, who do you think is more likely to dilute Kermit, someone who performed him for 27 years and was one of Jim Henson's protégés, or some combination of Hollywood writers and Disney executives?
>>
>>94295914
He wasn't talking shit about his employer. He was just trying, sometimes quite insistently, to get them to ditch the watered-down approach they had been taking to the Muppets for the past decade or so.

I mean, to give you an idea how shitty Disney's handling of this property has been, they passed on a Frank Oz-directed Muppet feature that was co-written by Jerry Juhl (writer of every classic Muppet film) and Jim Henson before Henson died. They passed on it in favor of a script written by Jason fucking Segel.

It amazes me that he *wasn't* publicly dissing them till now.
>>
>>94296046
How am I not surprised they would use Elmo that way
>>
>>94295423
Did it ever occur to you morons that maybe he's a piece of shit and Disney made the right call?
>>
>>94295453

Go fuck yourself (((Disney))) shill

Spending your time here trying to shout down a message sure shows how little it matters.
>>
Zero respect for the Henson kids, their synchronized comments are so obviously prepared statements by Disney
>>
>>94295735
The real reason is that they want to hire a new guy that they can pay minimum wage.
>>
>>94297161
>Disney
>ever in the right
Hmmm, am I going to trust the place that sues children's daycares and changes laws for their greed or the guy who hasn't done anything wrong? Really hard decision.
>>
>>94297161
Fuck off, mouse.
>>
File: spit take.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
spit take.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>94295535
bless you anon. i was having a crappy morning and this made me laugh so hard i sprayed hot coffee out of my nose.

... which admittedly made my morning a lot worse, but at least made me feel less shitty about it
>>
>>94297225
What is it about these threads that attract shills? I mean seriously, you don't even have to look that deep into Disney's history over the last 30 years to know what a rotten cesspit of human garbage their bigwigs are. But yeah, let's trust their word and not the guy who worked with and was mentored by Jim Henson, a selfless artist if there ever was one. I'm sure he was the one with the problem.
>>
>>94295453
>"What the fuck did you just fucking say about Disney, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in law school, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret lawsuits against the Screen Actors Guild, and I have over 300 confirmed convictions..."
>>
>>94296036
>Am I the only one
You should fucking talk.
>>
>>94296036
Choke on some mayonaise, fuckin bitchass cracker
>>
>>94295842
He's also just a delusional idiot with his terryology
>>
>>94295659
haha funny meme
>>
>>94295724
Oh yes Brian, cause Jim always changed performers of characters dozens of times

Who's to say Vogel's Kermit would capture Jim's Kermit more? It could outright suck harder
>>
>>94296084
oh yes, good luck getting any other work when they can find your blog and your name being mudslinged by companies
>>
>>94296054
There are elegant and inelegant ways to run a company. Guess which one this is.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.