[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, why was this cancelled anyway? I know Young Justice was killed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: beware-the-batman-poster.jpg (428KB, 3600x5400px) Image search: [Google]
beware-the-batman-poster.jpg
428KB, 3600x5400px
So, why was this cancelled anyway? I know Young Justice was killed because the toyline bombed and Green Lantern was cancelled because the movie flopped, thus less demand for TAS merchandise.

But we never heard what happened to this at all. It didn't even have a toyline or much merchandise. Was what happened to YJ and GL so strong that it tainted this show as well? What happened behind the scenes?
>>
>>94253831
If I recall correctly, it's production started under one regime, and before it came out new management had taken over. The new management started the whole "don't make shows we don't have merchandising rights for" thing and as a result they just put beware out to die.

The back half of the first season got delayed for 6 months then finally got aired at 2 in the morning. It's a real shame, since it really became a pretty solid and unique batman cartoon
>>
File: Magpie.png (214KB, 610x343px) Image search: [Google]
Magpie.png
214KB, 610x343px
The Good
>Detective work
>Using lesser known villains
>MAGPIE
The Bad
>Missed the point of Anarky, should have been Killer Moth instead
>Didnt care for Katana sidekick or Alfred being a bodyguard
>Hand drawn animation>3D
>>
>>94255171
New regime? Are you talking about the transition from Snyder to Miller or someone else entirely? Because Snyder got fired a few months after Beware finished airing.

It just sucks when something promising like DC Nation in general got in the crossfire of internal politics.
>>
>BATB ends
>Bat-Mite predicts that the next cartoon would be a gritty CG reboot that tries to appeal to a wider audience

did they know that Beware was in production or were the writers just that jaded?
>>
>>94255436
The Batgirl segment at the end was from a proposed Batgirl: Year One DTV that was pitched by Lauren Montgomery that never got made because Wonder Woman "failed" in sales.

However, there was a push at WB for the next Batman cartoon to be CGI. All of the pitches before Beware were all in CGI, and James Tucker was even glad that the No Man's Land show wasn't approved, since it would've been a pain to do it in that animation.
>>
>>94255657
huh, that's interesting. thanks for the reply
>>
>>94253831
Low ratings.

>but muh

No, fuck you. Listen.

Batman has expectations from studio, network and advertisers. You can't average 1.2 for 11 episodes and expect to survive on the Adventure Time network. They were looking for a leading program, and all they got was a really cheaply made CGI show with an ugly aesthetic.

Any original show averaging 1.2? During that hiatus they'd have argued for it to remain on the air the way BtB was argued for, only they'd win, because originals getting a solid audience like that is great. Wouldn't lead the network, but it'd stay. New season commissioned, maybe two. But Batman? Series opener getting a third of that noodle kid and Simpsons dog show? Fuck him. Start over.

>toyline

I would imagine the toyline got hit by a combination of factors; reticence to place orders on the part of retailers - who were still in 2012 sitting on mountains of GL crap from 2011 when they would have been offered potential BtB toys, same as with the GLtAS shit that came out parallel to the movie shit - and a lack of cashflow to develop and ship new BtB toys. No point ever developing them; so they never get made. One more reason to shitcan the show.

>>94255171
If you mean a producer working on the show left and stopped pushing it, I can believe that. The worst thing in the world is that cheery email informing you that after 15 years slugging away and saving, your producer is finally going to move to Oregon and open up that llama farm they always talked about.

It's not that the rights are inaccessible when they're gone, it's that without someone who knows the ins and outs of a project, it tends to die no matter how many people were assigned to it. Same in any industry.
>>
File: 1400034325789.jpg (719KB, 900x1671px) Image search: [Google]
1400034325789.jpg
719KB, 900x1671px
>>94256451
See, most of this checks out, but I don't think CN had any faith at all before the show even aired.

Compare Teen Titans Go!, with all of the commercials, advertisement, even a subsite with games on the CN website before the first episode aired, to no one knowing when Beware would air until two weeks before, a single commercial, and even the CN game just being rehashed Spyhunter.

They probably weren't expecting it to get an audience in the first place, so they gave the bare minimum in promoting it. It's almost like a "chicken and the egg" scenario.
>>
>>94255275
>Hand drawn animation>3D
The only thing bad about the show being CG is that the city was always a ghost town.
>>
>>94257220
Ironically, I didn't mind the deserted town myself. The fact that it was dour, but the buildings themselves were very modern and pristine, made it seem like there was something deeply wrong with the city, as opposed to the more obvious, grimy shit-town Gotham is usually portrayed as being.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.