[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was late 90's-early 00's Scooby-Doo so GOAT?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

Why was late 90's-early 00's Scooby-Doo so GOAT? What went so right?
>>
File: 1491586584235.jpg (580KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1491586584235.jpg
580KB, 960x1440px
I don't know about you, but pic related gave me nightmares
>>
The sasquatch one and the Vampire one were great.
>>
>>94238835

The vocal songs are fucking good.
>>
>>94238862
Sorry, by sasquatch I meant chupacabra.
>>
What was that virtual reality one where they go on the moon in a computer or something?
>>
Good mysteries.
>>
>>94238942
Cyber Chase
>>
>>94238942

Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase.
>>
>>94238835
I don't know about you, but Velma hovering in the air and holding down her skirt gave me funny dreams.
>>
File: sdvampire_fiireballs.jpg (39KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
sdvampire_fiireballs.jpg
39KB, 720x576px
RAHAHAHA
>>
That's actually a good question. Why did they suddenly decide to make decent stuff? Zombie Island, pic related and the Salem witches one were my personal top 3.
>>
>>94238890
>Chupacabra usually shown as a vampire
>Yowie usually an australian bigfoot
>in their respective movies they were switched

Why?
>>
>>94238801
They got kind of mediocre when they started doing the movies in What's New style but picked up again starting with Camp Scare, imo.
>>
I watched The Witch's Ghost with a couple buddies a year ago and I swear to god the climax of that film is like watching the final battle of my favorite anime. The villain is literally an anime villain.
>>
>>94238801
Their soundtracks were also GOAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1bn7C-R350
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH-fcn7YpMg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9d7Nx09FsM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_BlUY2eF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-UWIPzje4
>>
Animated in Japan.
>>
>>94239263
What's New and the movies in its style were the safest possible modern interpretation of Scooby Doo. Exact same setup as the original series with new and modern locations and gags, but nothing of substance in the comedy and none of the charm. The only thing it had going for it was a damn good opening theme.

I'd take Be Cool with it's shit art style but different take on the comedy and group dynamic and more interesting chase scenes any day, although I still prefer Mystery Incorporated.

I think the main reason the Zombie Island-era movies worked so well (besides the great animation) was that they were collectively the first Scooby media to have a real supernatural presence in them as opposed to entirely fakes while still keeping the original formula. 13 Ghosts was a Scooby show in name alone.

Also, for some of them, the fact that there's a real supernatural presence is a Third Act twist, like the climax of Alien Invaders and the entire last part of Witch's Ghost. Zombie Island had a twist too, but it was just adding on, since the ghosts and zombies were definitely shown to be real leading up to it already.
>>
Scooby Doo has almost always been good, especially when it comes to atmosphere.
>>
File: IMG_3434.png (2MB, 1918x1078px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3434.png
2MB, 1918x1078px
I honestly think Daphne Blake has one of if not the sexiest cartoon female design of all time. She oozes sex appeal. That green, purple, and orange color combination is also oddly sexy too.
>>
>>94238801

because it was a direct sequel of the old orignal show from way back , just picking up years later
>>
>>94239610
It's pretty interesting to see all three of the mixed colors making up a color scheme, I suppose. None of them compliment each other, but I don't think they clash either, so they all sort of pop individually.

Also royal purple is generally an underrated as fuck color.
>>
>>94239610
Meh. I used to like her when I was a kid but now I'm indifferent.
>>
>>94238801

Can we all just agree that Ghoul School was the best movie ?
>>
>>94239610
While I'm one of those obnoxious fags who prefer Velma, I won't pretend Daphne isn't damn good too.
>>
>>94238801

>What went so right?

They leaned into the campiness of the entire franchise just far enough to make the movies fun without also making them insulting to the intelligence general audiences (children and adults alike). Better writing and better animation than the entire prior history of the franchise helped, too.
>>
>>94238835
I liked how the zombos were the good guys.
>>
>>94238801
Sorry OP, I'm watching Mystery Inc. right now and tbqfh while it certainly has its own issues it blows the entire SD franchise out of the water.
>>
>>94241230
Not even close.
>>
Four words: The monsters are real
>>
>>94241230
not a bad opinion but there's other good material for sure
>>
>>94240015
>zombos
>>
>>94239646
Fuck no.
>>
>>94239629
>orignal
>>
>>94238835
I legit couldn't watch it as a kid, I was too spooked.
>>
File: Crying Eagle.jpg (294KB, 466x477px) Image search: [Google]
Crying Eagle.jpg
294KB, 466x477px
>>94240015
>that confederate soldier ghost who appears one last time to salute them
>>
File: Horrified Injuns2.jpg (461KB, 621x621px) Image search: [Google]
Horrified Injuns2.jpg
461KB, 621x621px
>>94238835
>grown up on OG series
>get this on VHS on my birthday, siblings and neighbourhood kids all gather around to watch it
>everyone just expecting the whole thing to obviously be a bunch of fakery, like it always is, probably done by the shifty catfisher
>our faces when it was all real

Blew our goddamn minds that there wasn't a simple unmasking at the end.
>>
>>94238942
It was absolute shit, was what it was.
>>
>>94239360
>Brothers Forever
I spent way too much time trying to find a place to pirate or buy that song. It's got no right to be so catchy.
>>
>>94239646
I enjoy the threads that always crop up in October but the movie itself is awful
>>
>>94239646
Fuck off waifufag. The only thing good about it is the pun in the title.
>>
File: 1464542782666.png (413KB, 710x654px) Image search: [Google]
1464542782666.png
413KB, 710x654px
>>94238835
I was so confused ever time I watched the scene where Fred was trying to 'unmask' the zombie and among his potential suspects that he lists off is the "fairy-man".
I could never figure out what the fuck a Fairy-man was until years later when I learned what a "ferry" was and realized he was saying "ferry-man", referring to Jacques.
>>
>>94239360
Dude why I have to listen to all my nineties music now
>>
>>94248068
>what the fuck a Fairy-man was
A faggot.
>>
>>94238835
AAAAND IT'S TERROR TIME AGAIN
>>
>>94248078
You better have OK Computer.
>>
>>94249037
>tfw it'll never be terror time again
>>
>>94238801
Anyone every see the really old movie where Shaggy is a werewolf and Wacky Races with Dracula
>>
>>94250470
The one where shaggy also had a girlfriend and scrappy do?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.