[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are superheroes in the military or police so rare in capeshit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 12342134312.jpg (35KB, 601x960px) Image search: [Google]
12342134312.jpg
35KB, 601x960px
Why are superheroes in the military or police so rare in capeshit? Surely using your super powers as a career choice would cross some folks heads, and I'm sure you could make a comic about a super powered cop or soldier interesting.
>>
>>94238345
You already made this thread.
>>
>>94238345
this is why dc should drop the wwii lesbians and biker lesbians and make an au ongoing about a bunch of gays in a military setting
>>
>>94238345
Did you somehow forget about Green Lantern? Even if you're restricting it to specifically Earth military and police forces you've got Captain Atom, Savage Dragon, Suicide Squad, and most modern Captain America off the top of my head. If you're talking explicitly and openly being superpowered while operating under the chain of command Top Ten is exactly what you're looking for. Most government affiliated superheroes tend to work for intelligence agencies rather than military or police.
>>
i mean marvel tried to make all capes work for shield and it sucked.
>>
>>94238491
Honestly, I'm just baiting for recs of comics where some dude goes full "I sexually identify as an attack helicopter" inna-Vietnam/Chechnya/Afghanistan or whatever and flies around with an LMG laying waste to gooks/hajis
>>
The kind of audiences that likes superhero comics isn't into police procedurals, generally.
>>
The actual reason is basically what you see in Watchmen: it starts to raise insecurities in people and opens the can of worms of police brutality and the American military industrial complex, the kind of questions you don't really want the reader asking when reading a piece of genre fiction.

It's something Alan Moore has had some elements of in pretty much all of his non-DCU superhero work.

A good example of a dynamic between the wishes of the military and a person's sense of heroic duty is in the 80's Captain Atom series.
>>
>>94238589
Punisher Born
>>
>>94238345
Besides the Flash (and Judge Dredd even though I don't think he counts as a superhero), the dynamic of the comic changes when you write from the perspective of law enforcement.

When you're an officer of the law or a government agent, you're accountable and the government is required to dedicate overwhelming force to putting a stop to you should you go rogue. Not to mention always fearing the day you do because they can't afford not to.

It gives a paranoia to the story that wouldn't be there otherwise, and limits the themes your story can have.
>>
>>94238345
>Why are superheroes in the military or police so rare in capeshit?
They aren't
>Captain America
>Green Lantern
>Robocopp
>Deathstroke
>>
>>94238345

Ooooh, you forgot to erase the the pixels making up her vagina. This is a Christian imageboard, please delete.
>>
>>94238995
He thought he could be sly and we wouldn't notice, huh?
>>
>>94238794
There is also that when you're writing within the context of law enforcement you can't really get around the fact that a modern American cop is well enough equipped to take down a good chunk of supervillains.
>>
Comic book creators are left of che guevera, and they tend to be anti police and anti millitary, particularly in the modern era. Hell, even basic gun ownership is very triggering to them.

>>94238589
>"I sexually identify as an attack helicopter"
That would be Transformers.
>>
>>94238345

Because it's more enjoyable for the audience to root for a single guy who decides to take on the worlds problems with his amazing powers than just becoming another cog in a machine that would be doing that without him anyway.

It's also more morally, legally and technically complicated to write a character with amazing power who is representing a government rather than doing it on his own accord. E.G. when the hero throws a truck at the monster the police department gets sued for the damages to a private company, your hero can't fly to Russia to beat up the bad guys because if he's a member of the Navy that's an act of war with political ramifications, the hero is legally obligated to arrest people for smoking weed, he can't just kick down the super villains front door and start blasting him with laser beams because he needs a warrant to enter his property ect ect. All too grounded and not fun.
>>
>>94238345
>I'm sure you could make a comic about a super powered cop or soldier interesting
What is literally the entire Super Soldier sci-fi genre.
>>
>>94239339
Well, more like a cliche than a genre. See: Star Wars, Warhammer 40k,, Robocop, Mass Effect, Halo, Metal Gear Solid, Terminator, Aliens (rarely), really any moderate to significant action sci-fi franchise in any form of media.
>>
File: captainmarvel.jpg (102KB, 909x1200px) Image search: [Google]
captainmarvel.jpg
102KB, 909x1200px
>>94238345
Soon.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.